TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

I have a guy in my bathroom right now installing a new shower. He's here, and I wouldn't mind a new sink. I can have him put in a sink at a significant discount, since he's already here and has the tools on site. But, it's still more money when I have a perfectly good working sink.

If this were Cedar Fair or another park I could see them using your logic. However, this is Six Flags. Six Flags has a pretty tight budget for parks like ours. Six Flags is going to save as much money as they possibly can. We also don't know what the future holds for that area and maybe redesigning the queue with the new addition won't make sense long term.

It will be nice if it happens. But, it probably won't.

The only way I could see them rebuilding the queue now is if they're using the exact footprint of the go kart area for Catwoman, as the queue goes up and over the go karts and would be in the way of the new ride. I'm sure they analyzed all options and are going with the cheapest one.

I work for a company that builds decks, which essentially that's what the queue for The Boss is. I can tell you if we were to build that for a residential customer, it would EASILY cost the customer well over 100k, probably more like 200k. We are not subject to union wage rates or prevailing wage rates that would likely be required for a commercial project like that. Maybe I'm off base, but I work with deck pricing and construction every day, and I would guess taking down the existing queue and rebuilding it would cost a couple hundred grand...just to throw my two cents in there.

The length of the queue isn't what bothers me, it's that the bridge is unshaded and just goes through a field. Honestly, if they just added a shade structure above it by extending the posts and putting lattice as the roof and add hanging baskets with vines, then I would love it. Maybe just add a couple more trees in that area. I would love that.

I am just so excited to see what happens to that area in years to come! I can not say this enough, but Six Flags St. Louis is underrated. Maybe it's because it was the first Six Flags park I ever went to as a kid, but I still love it to death.

James definitely has the right idea by saving cost and doing the queue upgrades now, but Six Flags just isn't spending that kind of jack for unnecessary changes.

I'm glad the new addition is being positively received by enthusiasts. It's really been a while. I'm excited to give it a try. I just hope it doesn't have too much flipping. My last ride on a S&S Free Spin was brutal, which differed from my other experiences. I would have rather had a Zamperla Discovery, but this will be a nice change from mild attractions. With the changes taking place on this side of the park that I would guess that Tidal Wave will be back instead of leaving a void on the other end.

I work for a company that builds decks, which essentially that's what the queue for The Boss is. I can tell you if we were to build that for a residential customer, it would EASILY cost the customer well over 100k, probably more like 200k. We are not subject to union wage rates or prevailing wage rates that would likely be required for a commercial project like that. Maybe I'm off base, but I work with deck pricing and construction every day, and I would guess taking down the existing queue and rebuilding it would cost a couple hundred grand...just to throw my two cents in there.

I wouldn't think that it would get that high, I know decks are expensive and labor costs are costly, but once the main structure is down (really someone can pull a permit, detach the bridge from the ride, rent a bulldozer and knock the bridge down, all that would be left is cleanup). My idea for what could be a cheap solution is to start from the station's current exit/entrance and zigzag straight down to the ground and concrete walkway the rest of the way to the entrance following the helix (unless there would be a future ride closer and could tie with Boss). But I could be wrong on my thinking.

I'm glad the new addition is being positively received by enthusiasts. It's really been a while. I'm excited to give it a try. I just hope it doesn't have too much flipping. My last ride on a S&S Free Spin was brutal, which differed from my other experiences. I would have rather had a Zamperla Discovery, but this will be a nice change from mild attractions. With the changes taking place on this side of the park that I would guess that Tidal Wave will be back instead of leaving a void on the other end.

I think everyone here was excited on the idea of having a Discovery coming to the park, that would and still could be a awesome addition to park along with Xcalibur. Catwoman is a good in between for now, higher thrills, at a presumably lower cost, something to get us to hopefully a bigger announcement next year. I admit, I am still fascinated by all the awesome flats this park has acquired within the last ten years.

To put this out there, I honestly would love to see a family woodie come to the park, something for everyone not just enthusiasts, are current family roller coaster's are a bit to rough and fast for little one''s, but that's coming from the fact my son loves Little Dipper at SFGA and our Mine Train is a hit and miss for him.

(unless there would be a future ride closer and could tie with Boss)

I think that's key.

If I'm going to day dream about a family roller coaster I would like to see something like KK's new Kentucky Flyer. Regardless, I don't see a new family coaster happening in any form.

^ I don't know the elevation change from the current entrance to the station, but I believe the reason the queue seems to do so much unnecessary zigging and zagging at the beginning of it is because the ADA accessibility requirements dictate that the path can only be sloped to a certain degree (I think it is 1" of height for every 20" of run, we are occasionally asked about these types of projects). I assume the requirements will be the same for concrete work. The ride being up on the hill the way it is does no favors to the simplicity of the path.

I went back and looked at my numbers yesterday after making the initial post, and assumed the walkway to be about 8' wide(4 for each side entrance and exit) and came up with over 3000 square feet with 1200 linear feet of railing. I ignored all of the zigging and zagging at the beginning of the queue, which is probably another 1000 square feet and more railing. Concrete is going to cost a bare minimum of 10/square foot so the concrete work alone for flat concrete is going to be over 35k to go 440 feet or so along the ride and to the entrance. This doesnt include curbs if they put curbs along it, or railings, or removal, or the extensive ramp which will be necessary to meet ADA requirements from the level of that station to the ground, or any necessary path routing to keep the slope requirements.

Just to provide a little more clarity from a position of experience. I agree that it would be fantastic for them to rework that queue somehow and better utilize that space. I also think it will be costly enough that they won't do it unless they have to, would love to see it happen though...

If I'm going to day dream about a family roller coaster I would like to see something like KK's new Kentucky Flyer. Regardless, I don't see a new family coaster happening in any form.

Kentucky Flyer type ride would be a cool addition, but I still think something smaller and more compact like Little Dipper could be a win at our park. But yes I know, this is Six Flags, don't dream to high.

Just to provide a little more clarity from a position of experience. I agree that it would be fantastic for them to rework that queue somehow and better utilize that space. I also think it will be costly enough that they won't do it unless they have to, would love to see it happen though...

That makes sense, I didn't think of all the struggles getting up the hill and the extra cost of regrading of the soil to do so. I guess we have to wait and see what they have in store during construction and what they announce next year, I just hope its not just one ride and done type of thing.

And really I think 2020 will be as well. I’m looking forward to riding Catwoman.

I wonder if they are doing anything else beyond Catwoman next year, like any sizable park improvements (painting, etc.)

Painting is always being done though. Empire has recently been repainted as well as Colossal Closeouts. There’s just too much work for our small paint team to keep up with.

Did they get rid of the weird orange and black color scheme on Colossal Closeouts that's a holdover from the Harley-Davidson store from over a decade ago?

whatever happened with Excalibur?

have they given up on trying to reopen it?

The problem is that it's gotten itself stuck in a rock. They're conducting a nationwide search to find someone worthy of removing it.

giphy.gif

The problem is that it's gotten itself stuck in a rock. They're conducting a nationwide search to find someone worthy of removing it.

giphy.gif

I liked it. Lol

giphy.gif

I liked it. Lol

I did as well!