TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

I wonder if so many parks removing some of their upcharge attractions (Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, Six Flags America, Six Flags Fiesta Texas, and Six Flags St. Louis) is a sign that Six Flags is considering building those small thrill parks that they mentioned in a recent survey. I wouldn't be complaining. I always thought it would be a smart idea to increase company revenue and open up more space for expansion within the park.

I'm glad they are removing the go karts though and that some parks are. I always thought they were obnoxious and smelled so heavily of gasoline. I can't wait to see how Six Flags St. Louis utilizes the space!

It’s also possible we use the track for another purpose, which has been talked about.

Like how? Can't imagine what else you could use it for.

Moon Cars.

The current track is too wide and considering most of it or at least half of it (current track) will be removed, I can't see that happening.

I would have thought that this would be a perfect opportunity to push the queue line back and open that area way up.

Boss queue is not being changed.

That would be a shame for them not to take advantage of all that open land by not moving the boss queue back and using the space efficiently.

I'm glad they are removing the go karts though and that some parks are. I always thought they were obnoxious and smelled so heavily of gasoline. I can't wait to see how Six Flags St. Louis utilizes the space!

I wish Six Flags Great America is next on that list of removing their go carts, that area is ugly and smells bad of gas.

It’s also possible we use the track for another purpose, which has been talked about, (moon cars)

I hope not, the current space is already tight with the Boss queue and now Catwoman, without space optimization I can see it being just as bad as its current location by American Thunder.

^ Also, as mentioned before, that is a lot of direct sunlight in that area. Especially for a family ride like the Moon Cars.

It's not like Moon Cars current location is all that shaded either. If the park decides to move em, I think they'd be able to put a layout longer than the current one in the space available.

I would have thought that this would be a perfect opportunity to push the queue line back and open that area way up.

That would be a shame for them not to take advantage of all that open land by not moving the boss queue back and using the space efficiently.

Why do they need to do that to put in Catwoman? How would they profit financially from moving the queue? What is the revenue increase that will result from Boss having a different queue configuration? Would it be greater than the cost to construct that queue?

Why do they need to do that to put in Catwoman? How would they profit financially from moving the queue? What is the revenue increase that will result from Boss having a different queue configuration? Would it be greater than the cost to construct that queue?

Benefit would be better space utilization for future use of other rides in that location, plus make the Boss better ADA compliant. I would not think the cost would out weigh the positives it could give to that area, and its probably cheaper than the cost they paid to restructure the final helix.

^ Okay, so if it's mainly for future utilization, why would the money have to be spent now? Wouldn't it be a better cash flow for it to be spent when they need to spend it instead of years ahead of time?

Also "better ADA compliant" makes no sense. It's either compliant or it's not. There aren't levels to it. Boss is ADA compliant already.

As for the cost not outweighing the positives, that's not the right question (and not the question I asked). SF Corporate is not looking at aesthetics; they're looking at revenue. Spending money to fix Boss's helix has the revenue increasing potential of bringing back guests who may have stopped attending due to Boss's deterioration. How many SF guests do you think are choosing not to come to the park because of Boss's queue?

^ Okay, so if it's mainly for future utilization, why would the money have to be spent now? Wouldn't it be a better cash flow for it to be spent when they need to spend it instead of years ahead of time?

Also "better ADA compliant" makes no sense. It's either compliant or it's not. There aren't levels to it. Boss is ADA compliant already.

As for the cost not outweighing the positives, that's not the right question (and not the question I asked). SF Corporate is not looking at aesthetics; they're looking at revenue. Spending money to fix Boss's helix has the revenue increasing potential of bringing back guests who may have stopped attending due to Boss's deterioration. How many SF guests do you think are choosing not to come to the park because of Boss's queue?

True you have a point about why now not later, I am just curious if any one would think that as a good optimization to that area, I mean we are a bunch of enthusiast's why can't we think of the "what if's".

I have no idea how compliant the Boss queue would be for people who are disabled, I have never gave thought to it until now. But I think it would be "better" as in to upgrade to current standards of ADA compliance as the ride and queue were built in the 2000's, and standards are always changing.

"SF Corporate is not looking at aesthetics" - I disagree, sure the aesthetics right now are not important as the ride queue goes over a very bland area anyways. Once the new ride is built, the area would need sprucing up, sure it is not important to others, but the park does try to care about appearances with whatever money they get from Corp. Also who wouldn't want to see an improvement to many ride queues in the park? I mean Batman, Screaming Eagle, and the Boss all could use a little help with modernizing their queue lines.

Again, there is no such thing as "better compliance." Either you comply or you don't. When a rules change is made, Six Flags is going to modify whatever they need to in order to remain in compliance. We know that Boss's queue is in compliance because the ride would not be allowed to operate if it weren't, since the ride was built after ADA went into effect.

Spending money to fix Boss's helix has the revenue increasing potential of bringing back guests who may have stopped attending due to Boss's deterioration.

I would think they did this to lessen the chance of someone getting injured and avoiding potential lawsuits.

ie. Lessons learned with Son Of Beast.

Spending money to fix Boss's helix has the revenue increasing potential of bringing back guests who may have stopped attending due to Boss's deterioration.

I would think they did this to lessen the chance of someone getting injured and avoiding potential lawsuits.

ie. Lessons learned with Son Of Beast.

Good point. And there too is a financial incentive to do it.

I think financial incentive and guest satisfaction were probably the main reasons for the helix modification. I'm sure they were getting complaints about roughness in the helix in particular, in addition to the change reducing future maintenance costs.

Would it be nice to see the queue reconfigured? Of course. But I agree with Andrew in that they won't do anything with the queue until there is a pressing need, and it looks like the new ride won't force a change yet.

I agree. "If it's not broke, why fix it?"

Boss queue is horrible and long. I could easily see there being people who would reride it but don't because of how long it takes to walk the thing. Now is that causing lost revenue? Probably not.

No one knows what future plans Six Flags STL has in store for the area. Maybe it wouldn't make sense to change it now. I'd rather have the park spend that money on general maintenance and improvements. It may seem like chump change looking from the outside in, but you're still talking about a shit load of money to demolish the old queue and build a new one. That, and we're talking about the park that won't spend the money to upgrade the iconic Screamin' Eagle's queue or change the visible dilapidated roof.

That, and we're talking about the park that won't spend the money to upgrade the iconic Screamin' Eagle's queue or change the visible dilapidated roof.

I can see that costing twice of the boss queue since that requires removing multiple concrete pads and walkways and possibly a full station remodel to handle crowds better, Boss on the other hand is mostly wood and some concrete supports. Take the bridge down, straighten or move the entrance before the tracks, follow the helix back and zigzag back up to the station. I mean if they got the equipment and spending money to tear out the go-carts, why not fix the queue in the process.

And don't get me wrong, I am just a enthusiast who like's my home park, but I know they most likely won't move the queue any time soon as cost and other projects are first. I also understand that like many of us, there are other projects and areas we would like to get to see some TLC and love first (carousel?), we've been living with those queue lines for years now and for some they just don't see the point even if they saves them a few steps.

You're still talking about completely unnecessary dollars and cents. Just because the cost of redesigning and building a queue isn't nearly as much as building a major addition doesn't mean that it won't cost a lot of money. You're talking about tens of thousands of dollars and a lot of planning. I can't have a small one foot high deck built at my house for less than a few thousand dollars.

You're still talking about completely unnecessary dollars and cents. Just because the cost of redesigning and building a queue isn't nearly as much as building a major addition doesn't mean that it won't cost a lot of money. You're talking about tens of thousands of dollars and a lot of planning. I can't have a small one foot high deck built at my house for less than a few thousand dollars.

Yes I understand the cost would be high, I mean a 2X4X8 treated pine goes for almost $8.00, multiply that by many linear square feet and add the costs of concrete, structural engineers, and permits that would need to be pulled. The cost would go well above $15,000, heck even $30,000. But with them already having permits pulled for a new ride/demo, engineers already hired, and heavy equipment on the site; I say half that cost is already cut in half.

But again I understand that it will not be financially feasible for the park unless they got something that needs to fit in that space, and like someone said earlier all they probably will do is a botched job leaving some of the go-cart track in place for later removal. I am just saying it would be smart to get it all done at once. I mean if you build that one foot deck, and decided to build stairs later, how efficient is that?

The park would much rather use that cash for other, more important things.

The problem is getting Six Flags Corp. to give the park the money to do other important things, heck asking for a new queue would be like asking to sell a kidney and a foot.