TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

They're hand carved. It's a PTC original to the park, though not always in that location. I believe it was originally where the Ferris wheel is now, though I might be mistaken on that part. It's a wonderful carousel that, if refurbished, would be a point of pride for the park. I hope any re-theme of Brittania would include a refurb of the carousel.

^yep.

it's a classic, and as noted, I was stunned how badly it's maintained.

granted, I'm a Carousel junkie, and I have pics of me smiling while riding. . but I also walked away from our 1 (only 1 !!!) ride, really sad.

the carriages on this thing are beautiful too. .and also in terrible shape

IMG_7562.thumb.JPG.fccf89ab7d8d5b7be04f41b9e564bb7c.JPG

^really?

You're better than this comment.

Better than saying you'd donate to a historic ride restoration?

I'd donate too. I'd donate at least a months worth of my membership directly to it.

It is historic, and the current condition of it is an embarrassment not just to the park, management or Six Flags corporate but the entire region. It needs restored and regular maintenance. The current condition of it is ridiculous.

Six Flags is a for-profit company, not a museum. The money you pay them for tickets and food and Flash Pass and fluffy bunnies pay for the maintenance of rides and everything else. You don't need to donate money to them. They just need to use the money you already gave them to properly maintain the rides.

Now, this is Six Flags, so we all know that's never gonna happen. But it's their responsibility, not yours.

They just need to use the money you already gave them to properly maintain the rides.

This was exactly my point. Why the hell would I donate to a successful business to maintain its property? We're not talking about a public park.

Now, this is Six Flags, so we all know that's never gonna happen. But it's their responsibility, not yours.

It all depends on the specific park. Great Adventure takes pretty good care of their carousel. They just finished repainting all of the upper panels on theirs:

That's SFSTL's budget at work, or lack thereof

There are so many projects that get cancelled every year or just can't get off the ground for budgeting reasons. I know people at the park who are frustrated year after year because they feel like corporate doesn't give them enough money to do what they want.

What would frustrate me is if any proceeds, money earned from SFSTL, would go to another park. ie. keeping Magic Mountain up to par with 'The Jones' in LA. I would hope that doesn't happen. I often wonder if our Park would be better off owned Locally.

What would frustrate me is if any proceeds, money earned from SFSTL, would go to another park. ie. keeping Magic Mountain up to par with 'The Jones' in LA. I would hope that doesn't happen. I often wonder if our Park would be better off owned Locally.

That definitely happens, because revenue is revenue, and SFSL is a low tier park. But I don't think that means the park should (or will) be sold to any other company, beyond some kind of ownership deal with Six Flags. I feel like the "we're so neglected, imagine if we were owned by Cedar Fair" argument comes up once every few moons and I don't think that any kind of new ownership, especially from a local company, would change much.

Six Flags is a for-profit company, not a museum.

I some what disagree, Six Flags Great America went out of their way to buy and restore the Little Dipper from a defunct park, a local treasure to many people who grew up near Chicago. They didn't have to go out and buy a run down coaster, completely dismantle and rebuild and modify the ride to current safety standards.

I bet there are other story's like that in other SF parks. Saying it is a museum is a stretch, but you can tell there is still love there for the rides.

img_9786e.thumb.jpg.c876b773dad0c051660c77c516cf05db.jpg

I wish we a had a Little Dipper at SFStL

That definitely happens, because revenue is revenue, and SFSL is a low tier park. But I don't think that means the park should (or will) be sold to any other company, beyond some kind of ownership deal with Six Flags. I feel like the "we're so neglected, imagine if we were owned by Cedar Fair" argument comes up once every few moons and I don't think that any kind of new ownership, especially from a local company, would change much.

Worlds of Fun, Michigan's Adventure, Valleyfair and Dorney Park should be a decent indication that Cedar Fair ownership may not change much for the better.

Maybe the maintenance budget could improve - but you could also get far fewer new rides. Both companies have issues and both neglect the smaller parks in their care.

As for the donations issue I definitely believe Six Flags should pay for it and clearly the corporate park improvement budgets aren't working well for some parks. But I take issue with the idea there's something wrong with someone wanting a piece of history cared for by other means even if it meant donations.Though if donations were taken I'd probably want ownership of the carousel transferred to a third party and have the park lease it, so you could have a formal ongoing maintenance agreement.

Now I actually really hope SFStl asks for donations. I want to see people throw free money at them while they charge $10 for a beer and $5 for a soda. Although, I guess if they don't have to pay for the carousel to be fixed, Six Flags can lower their food prices and people will stop bitching about the condition of the ride. Hell, here's a nickle.

I wouldn't say Six Flags "neglects" our park. The park is doing fine and there's no need to change too much. Why would SF invest more than they have to if they're maximizing their profit from the park? WoF is also incredibly well taken care of and it's a beautiful park. WoF isn't neglected, they just don't have any reason to build a new ride since the park is still pulling crowds.

^ It is nice to see our park do a little teasing! I don't remember much of that in the past.

I agree, it sounds like a Catwoman theme. I could see a Tilt-A-Whirl, or possibly a Giant Discovery.