TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

On an unrelated note, the plan is for Tidal Wave to reopen next season.

I know I'm in the minority but I'm really happy to hear this and I hope it really happens. I have too much nostalgia related to Tidal Wave lol!

The plan was to have one of these giant Evolutions at a new small park in Rotterdam along with a old Schwarzkopf shuttle loop, but the plans fell thru, so I believe that is the one Evolution in storage. Not sure where the second one is located??

http://board.pretparken.be/showthread.php?375-Attractiepark-Rotterdam-Opening-in-2018

I thought I saw a report some years ago that one ended up in China but was never put into operation.

Mike

Thunder River reopened yesterday!

Awesome to hear that they got back Thunder River, I hope that means that they will have all hands now on Excalibur and get that running before the fall season.

And I wonder at this point if we are even going to get a ride next year, with Tidal Wave looking to reopen and all the work and money spent on Excalibur, I wonder if next year will be general park improvements which wouldn't be bad as the park still needs some work in certain areas.

Going though the area GIS services, I was surprised to learn how far as 1937 they have been taking Ariel imagery of the area, pretty interesting to anyone interested in local geography.

I was also surprised to learn the Antique Cars have went through four iterations, a simplified redesign in the 2000's for the picnic grove expansion and a second longer (better) redesign between 2004 and 2006 taking out the old kids area before Evil Knievel was built.

Otherwise there is not any major land changes besides the Thunder River addition, than Mr. Freeze in the island, and finally the Boss is the last major land change taking out a large chunk of the back of the park.

1576471481_Screenshot(17).thumb.png.4f90851a8bbc6154a06c726834accde6.png

Original Antique Cars design that went under the bridge and out into the current Picnic Grove area

178490450_Screenshot(19).thumb.png.84a78ad0362c8de82af9081fc08ff130.png

Second redesign sometime between 95 to early 2000's

858499855_Screenshot(21).thumb.png.c9d412e16a299aa7fdf92bc2b6b65aae.png

Third iteration between '04 and '06

1269141387_Screenshot(22).thumb.png.8395c90f308c5fb71c66f326681facfc.png

Fourth and final redesign in 2008 after Evil Knievel was built

1168282513_Screenshot(14).thumb.png.cdee96494c8729e6cedae9eea5ce303e.png

Also this from the parking lot 1981, what is this building at the edge of the parking lot? Looks like it didn't last long

Going though the area GIS services, I was surprised to learn how far as 1937 they have been taking Ariel imagery of the area, pretty interesting to anyone interested in local geography.

Also this from the parking lot 1981, what is this building at the edge of the parking lot? Looks like it didn't last long

*** That Building was a Texaco Gas Station

I wanna say it closed down in the very early 90's.

I remember when I was a kid that you almost always waited in a long line to exit the park once it closed for the night. They have had cops directing cars onto 5th street. That's how busy the park used to be and how many ppl used to stay until park closing.

Thunder River reopened yesterday!

Tidal Wave is currently waiting on parts salvaged from the defunct Splash Water Falls and Aquaman Splashdown rides at SFOG and SFOT, respectively. Demolition on Aquaman is nearing completion, so I'm sure whatever parts could be salvaged are already on the way. However, it appears that SFOG isn't in such a big hurry to tear theirs down. I suspect parts from Splash Water Falls won't be coming in until sometime in the fall/winter.

Would we have the only operational Chute in the chain if indeed Tidal Wave reopens? Guess that rules out removal anytime soon too.

Still feel like the closure of ours for a whole season the exact season multiple others are getting removed is awfully coincidental. And it's mid-July with no work going in to it - at this point you only have two extra months to work on it than you would have if you opened it.

I'm glad it's staying, for a little while anyway. My kids love it. They don't ride it. They stand on the bridge and get sprayed by it. Too much fun.

You could pay one person to spray people with a firehose for the same experience with half the man hours.

I'm glad it's staying, for a little while anyway. My kids love it. They don't ride it. They stand on the bridge and get sprayed by it. Too much fun.

You could pay one person to spray people with a firehose for the same experience with half the man hours.

This is not accurate. Will we get parts? Of course. Are we waiting for parts to move forward with Tidal Wave? No.

Though this is a completely logical assumption to make.

To be fair, I have no idea as to the current state of your Tidal Wave ride. I only know that it is, apparently, being refurbished.

All I can say at this point is that parts salvaged from Aquaman are likely headed your way since they won't be needed here at Over Texas. I assume parts will be coming in from Over Georgia as soon they get around to it.

Edited by Sportsdude360

My kids love it too. I stood on the bridge once. It was a one time thing.

Mike

Interesting, I would have never known that, I wonder if anyone has any archival photographs of the parking lot with the gas station?

What is the deal with all that unused land anyway by the parking gates? It looks like it was never really used besides random pathways, and a pet kennel that I don't think is open anymore. I wonder if they could ever expand a roller coaster out there and have a fly over moment like Gatekeeper at Ceder Point, that would be a pretty awesome use of all that unused land and get people excited when sitting in line to get in.

In its current state Tidal Wave wouldn’t have been able to operate anyways. The refurbishment is needed.

Agree, it's been needing a lot of TLC for years, every time I have been to the park I have yet to see it filled and running but that could be because I don't usually go late in the summer season.

Interesting, I would have never known that, I wonder if anyone has any archival photographs of the parking lot with the gas station?

What is the deal with all that unused land anyway by the parking gates? It looks like it was never really used besides random pathways, and a pet kennel that I don't think is open anymore. I wonder if they could ever expand a roller coaster out there and have a fly over moment like Gatekeeper at Ceder Point, that would be a pretty awesome use of all that unused land and get people excited when sitting in line to get in.

That unused land I believe used to have picnic tables for people to eat. The pet kennel is still open. Last time I was at the park this month I saw 2 dogs in there. The land used to be a lot better up-kept. In fact that whole toll plaza road and flowers hanging from the street lights.

After studying our park on google maps, there is just not enough land for something big, the water park is the only thing I could see expanding out past its current boundary like the bus parking lot or paintball field.

There's definitely room for additional rides, but no not much for Midway expansion. On the east side there's more than enough room to build two hypers west of the graveyard (one station at Tidal Wave, the other at Ninja) or a giga - that land isn't useful for much else actually an out and back hyper is perfect for it. The west side is definitely harder to add to but you could turn Freeze Island into a new area with one or two flats and potentially a coaster entrance with a smaller coaster itself being able to work around west of Freeze station building and use the land north of Freeze. You might be able to reconfigure the area around Justice League and Log Flume and fit two flats instead of just Shazam. Our biggest issue is money, not space.

Look at how SFoG managed to squeeze Goliath in to the park. Half the ride is built over existing midways and over the parking entrance.

I have been meaning to post but does anyone else hate how slow the Ferris wheel is now. I liked it better when it went faster and around multiple times.

I'm of both minds. I did like the classic ride cycle, but the continuous operation makes for a longer ride and is more relaxing. Also the continuous cycle should increase capacity.

After studying our park on google maps, there is just not enough land for something big, the water park is the only thing I could see expanding out past its current boundary like the bus parking lot or paintball field.

There's definitely room for additional rides, but no not much for Midway expansion. On the east side there's more than enough room to build two hypers west of the graveyard (one station at Tidal Wave, the other at Ninja) or a giga - that land isn't useful for much else actually an out and back hyper is perfect for it. The west side is definitely harder to add to but you could turn Freeze Island into a new area with one or two flats and potentially a coaster entrance with a smaller coaster itself being able to work around west of Freeze station building and use the land north of Freeze. You might be able to reconfigure the area around Justice League and Log Flume and fit two flats instead of just Shazam. Our biggest issue is money, not space.

Look at how SFoG managed to squeeze Goliath in to the park. Half the ride is built over existing midways and over the parking entrance.

I get what your saying, I should have said "without removing any rides or major $$ modifications", as I like all the rides we have (even Ninja and Boomerang). Like you said it requires more $$ to move or modify, but with the current land that is not being used and not cost major $$ is very little, the land as you mentioned is mostly in the graveyard area of the park past Tidal Wave, other areas is behind Axis Arcade and maybe squeeze a flat in front of justice league by the railroad.

I don't believe we will ever get a "big" coaster in the next decade due to past trends so removing rides is pointless unless they start costing the park money in upkeep, and the closest we will get in terms of roller coasters is anything small and compact like a S&S FreeSpin.

Also I don't believe Ninja will be going anywhere, the GP soaks it up, the land behind Freeze is hard to get to without getting in the way of Thunder River, and the Island where Freeze sits I don't think is in there best interest being they still need to get cranes and such into that tight space. The area by Log Flume and Shazam someone pointed out is blocked by mechanical and the First Aid area.

The only other areas possible is behind The Boss, but that is a ways out there, if they ever get rid of the go carts they could build a coaster and interact with Boss and Thunder River, and finally if they create a path near American Thunder and cross the railway then expand into the unused island of the toll plaza (like Gate Keeper at CP). Again I believe the land they have available to use is tight, without a lot of money and major modifications anything big like another Boss for example, would be financially unfeasible once the current unused land is gone.

Side note: SFoG Goliath again is a hyper, I really doubt we will ever see that big of coaster in our park (at least in the next decade), but do agree it is interesting how they elevated the ride over the park. But I don't see how they would fit that design into the park which is not flat and has a lot of structures and rides that are tightly packed trying to avoid them