TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

Get there right at opening and here's the order I would go:

Mr. Freeze immediately for a ride or two

Back track to American Thunder

Boss

Pandemonium (It's not a unique layout, but it has a nice setting in the wooded area)

Screaming Eagle

Mine Train

Ninja

Batman

Move quickly. Everything from Boss to Batman is in walking order, too.

I would use the skip-the-line pass for a night ride on Screaming Eagle. Mr. Freeze would also be a good choice, if you must. Batman line moves fast, so don't waste it there. Another option would be to waste it on antique cars just for laughs... (Don't)

***USE THE BOSS TRICK***

Pick the front seat of a middle car. Usually one of the middle cars near the front is best. Put your butt back. Grab the handle bar in front of you and pull yourself forward. Trust me on this. 1) Butt back. 2) Handle bar. 3) Lean forward.

My advice for the screaming eagle is the same, although a very front seat ride is decently smooth.

My Ninja tip is to make sure you have Ibuprofen on hand and my Boomerang tip is to watch a youtube POV.

Our Superman drop tower is nice, because it sits up on a hill. Ask for a seat facing the park.

Sky Screamer is good, because it's a Sky Screamer.

Ride the giant Ferris Wheel if the line is tolerable.

The train is pretty good.

If you've ridden any other Justice Leagues I would skip out on ours. It's the first generation and I've heard it's not quite as advanced as the others.

Seriously though, don't waste your time with antique cars.

Eat at the Coney Dog Place in between the entrance and the Ferris Wheel. They serve massive hot dogs with the option of cheese, onions (IIRC), and chili. Maybe corn dogs, too? It's been years since I've had it, but I remember it being good. I think their fries were decent, too. JB's is a decent place to grab a beer.

On another note, I should probably use my season pass and go to the park this year...

Edited by prozach626

I was just there for the 1st time a few weeks ago, and the recommendations I followed, that worked very well:

-- start at the back of the park, with Screaming Eagle, and then work your way forwards. (got multiple rides in on it before any kind of crowd, especially since I bought Flash Pass, but SE doesn't have Flash Pass access). It was fantastic in the front, non-wheel seat, but a little rickety the further back you go in the train.

-- Skip the line pass: Mr. Freeze (if still only operating one side), or Justice League (if still only running in limited capacity). If you've been on those? I'd use it for Supergirl, as that's the new ride, and it was fantastic. But the line was tolerable, if you've never been on Freeze or JL.

-- Supergirl is extremely unique. The Train was very good. Loved Colossus (the giant ferris wheel). If Excalibur is open, ride that (was sad it was still shut down when we were there). Didn't get to ride Tsunami Soaker, but it looked like good stupid fun (it gets everyone really wet, so got vetoed on riding it).

-- Pandemonium seemed to have a close layout to the one at Fiesta Texas, but it was a bit longer. The location can't be beat tho (next to Supergirl & the Carousel, and just in front of the Boss).

Don't skip the mine train. . really liked it, and glad that Kim talked me into riding it. Fast, and pretty smooth.

tho you certainly should either skip, or save Ninja to the last ride of the day -- it knocked the crap out of me in one of the transitions, and was ready to go home after that.

-- my dining plan is only good at our home park, so we weren't able to use it there. . .tho there did seem to be a Buffet that now appears to be open ever day. We ended up at Macho Nacho, and it was the same as usual from the other parks.

the Ice Cream Place across from the Photo pick up near the front gate - was PACKED (because it's good for a snack), but the line moved super fast, and the Ice Cream was very good. Kim was right to recommend a stop there!

My favorite rides in the park: Supergirl, American Thunder, and Screaming Eagle.

edit: Zach's BOSS trick really works, and highly recommend you follow it. Note however: it doesn't help with the laterals just after the midcourse. . be prepared for a hard slam to the side there.

Personally, JB’s is the only place I eat at if I absolutely am forced to eat in the park. They have pretty decent BBQ for Six Flags standards and a very nice atmosphere. If fried chicken is your thing (it’s not mine), check out Fowl Ball near the mine train. Speaking of that, don’t miss our mine train. It’s truly one of my favorites and is very, very smooth.

First Cone is ALWAYS packed. I have never once seen that place empty in my life, not even on slow days. Walking past, it smells like Mainstreet USA at Disney so I really don’t blame anyone for how packed it gets. If you haven’t already figured by my dislike of fried chicken and not eating in parks, I’m a health snob so I personally don’t eat it but I do like to sometimes linger in that corner of the entrance just for the sights and smells of First Cone.

If you're after credits or just feeling the mood, try our Boomerang. It runs pretty well - they did a lot of work on it after bringing it from Texas to here. In fact, I just rode Carowind’s boomerang yesterday with the new Vekoma trains and that’s supposed to be one of the better ones and to tell you the honest truth, I think ours is better.

That’s all I got that hasn’t already been said. Enjoy the park.

Anonymouscactus.....Going to the back of the park first, like I advised Bert, will work extra well on a Friday night during FF. Particularly if you don't care about watching the freaks come off the train. Most people will congregate around the Palace theater during the first 45 min or so because the FF monsters will get off the train at the station there and do a quick little show and then disperse throughout the park. If you skirt around all that and head right up to Eagle and then work your way down you will have light crowds for a while. Make sure to go around on the RIGHT side of the park, past Batman and Ninja, the left side will be blocked between Freeze and Thunder River by a haunted house.

I agree with using your skip the line pass on Freeze, it is often very crowded during FF. Hopefully, the Boss will be back to 3 trains by then (a certain ride op told me that's the plan ) and that will move it along a little faster.

If the rest of your party doesn't mind you should use the single rider entrance at Justice League

I agree JB's is the best but IF there is a buffet available at the picnic grove across from fist cone that would probably be your next best bet and it will be faster. JB's will be crowded.

I don't think you will find anything that different about the haunt mazes but if you do have time for any, maybe go to Camp Killamore. It is a little unusual as they set it up in the closed down water park with a "killer on the loose in a summer camp" theme. I'm not saying it's significantly better than the others, just something a little different.

Edited by teacherkim

I still feel like for someone who is wanting to hit the coasters first, this is the best order:

Mr. Freeze immediately for a ride or two

Pandemonium (It's not a unique layout, but it has a nice setting in the wooded area)

Boss

Screaming Eagle

Mine Train

Ninja

Batman

American Thunder

You literally do a circle and take the patch of least resistance to each ride if you hit the park at rope drop. Freeze's line moves slow, so knock it out before a line even forms. No one will be at Pandemonium, yet. Most people hadn't made their way back to the Boss by the time you get there. Same with Screaming Eagle at the top of the hill. Mine train might have a short line by then, but a lot of people flock to the big coasters and the families are still making their way in. Ninja is a POS, so there probably won't be much of a line at all when you get to it. Batman will probably have the longest line by that point, but its high capacity will make the wait pretty short. By the time you complete the circuit and go back to American Thunder it will be hit or miss, but the line is usually on the somewhat short side. Work the flats from there. Back when I gave a shit that's what I would do at opening and I could hit everything within about an hour or so of the park being open.

I still vote to use your skip the line pass on Screaming Eagle. I say this, because it provides the most unique night ride at the park and by the time it's dark the line will be packed. It's an overlooked great night ride.

I'm a few days late on this, but we got some new info on Fright Fest and Holiday in the Park this year via the new audition date posted in the events page on the website.

For Fright Fest, both Dead Man's Party and LAFF will return, but there's no surprise there. They have been annual traditions for nearly a decade, and LAFF has been shown off and on for 26 years. No word yet on The Dead Beats, but I think Freaks Unleashed is most likely back as well.

For Holiday in the Park, both The Majesty of Christmas in the Palace Theater and the Tinseltones in the Empire Theater are back. Also, the "Santa's House" meet and greet location with Santa and Mrs. Claus will be moved somewhere else this year, as Miss Kitty's will now have it's own Christmas-themed country show like Great America. The "Magic of Christmas" light show outside the Palace should also be back.

As for the dates for both events, HITP is set for November 23rd through December 31st. However with FF, I don't know yet. I've heard that the event will run through the first weekend of November this year, but no one can seem to confirm that, and the dates aren't on the website unlike HITP. Maybe they're posted in the park somewhere?

Anyways, if you're interested in auditioning for Fright Fest or Holiday in the Park this year, here's the link to do so:

https://www.sixflags.com/stlouis/special-events/hiring-events/performer-auditions-fright-fest-and-holiday-park

Edited by ChrisGraslie

Went to the park yesterday for the first visit of the year. A few random thoughts-

- Supergirl is the best flat in the park, easy. I liked the Fling, but this thing is an improvement in almost every way. It's a blast to ride. The color scheme and lights also look really nice, and it adds a lot to that section of the park.

- All the woodies were running the best they ever have for me, collectively. Also, having recently ridden Hurler for the first time at Carowinds, all of a sudden Boss doesn't feel quite as bad, haha (i also took Zach's advise and that worked wonders).

- It is extremely rare that I ever eat in any theme park, but the heat sapped us yesterday and we didn't have the energy to eat after we left, so we hit up JB's for the first time ever. My wife was in the mood for BBQ and I know that we've heard here it's the best place in the park. You know what? It was actually really good. The pulled pork sandwich was great. Even the chicken tasted good.

- It really sucked to have thunder river down in the heat.

- When Xcalibur comes back online, we will have a really nice collection of flats. At this point, outside of a Giant Discovery, I'm not sure what I'd even add. Given that our park will rarely ever get a coaster addition, it will be interesting to see what they keep adding year over year since we usually just get flats.

- Walked over to check out the tidal wave area and yeah....the story can be it's just down for the year, but I'd bet a couple dollars that the ole girl has given her last ride. The park really needs an attraction on the east side to bring folks over that way, as right now everything good is to the west and traffic is really slanted that way. While a coaster would be best, will a giant discovery fit on that site? I'd assume it will, but I've never seen one in person and am not familiar with the footprint.

All in all, a good day. After the disaster that was last year, the park seems to be in a MUCH better spot. It will be interesting to see what they add, now that a lot of refurbs and replacements will be completed by this season's end.

I'm glad the Boss trick worked for you! It's pretty much my go-to strategy on most wooden coasters. Unless I'm on something like a B&M Hyper I don't have much of a desire to put my hands up, anymore.

There really aren't many low budget options left available for new additions. What's the cost of a Giant Discovery vs. a Free Spin? I could actually see a Free Spin happening if Tidal Wave isn't reopening. I think the footprint would be right for it. There aren't a lot of options left. A RMC Wonder Woman clone, if they even clone the ride chain-ride, would be much more far fetched. Also, a Skyrocket II? Forget about it. I think that with a park our size guests would go nuts over a free-spin.

I guess I could see something like a Syline Attractions Skywarp, but those look so sluggish. Sea World's model is down right laughable and it was entertaining watching reporters trying to act excited while riding it on media day. I almost wonder if those turned out as well as Skyline thought they would.

I'm glad the Boss trick worked for you! It's pretty much my go-to strategy on most wooden coasters. Unless I'm on something like a B&M Hyper I don't have much of a desire to put my hands up, anymore.

There really aren't many low budget options left available for new additions. What's the cost of a Giant Discovery vs. a Free Spin? I could actually see a Free Spin happening if Tidal Wave isn't reopening. I think the footprint would be right for it. There aren't a lot of options left. A RMC Wonder Woman clone, if they even clone the ride chain-ride, would be much more far fetched. Also, a Skyrocket II? Forget about it. I think that with a park our size guests would go nuts over a free-spin.

I guess I could see something like a Syline Attractions Skywarp, but those look so sluggish. Sea World's model is down right laughable and it was entertaining watching reporters trying to act excited while riding it on media day. I almost wonder if those turned out as well as Skyline thought they would.

The Freespin still seems to make the most sense to me as well. It would fit just fine right in that area and we are one of the last in the chain without one (actually, are we the only park at this point without one?). Seriously though, the upcoming additions will really be interesting since most of the modern flats SF parks add are now already in place. Outside of Tidal Wave, what would really even come down at this point for replacement?

Yeah, I know Ninja is rough but it still operates just fine and for a park like this, I just don't see them removing a mechanically reliable coaster, even if for another one (like the RMC).

And yeah, yuck on a Skywarp. I am being 100 percent serious in that I would much rather us get a tilt-o-whirl or some other classic flat versus one of those. Decent idea on paper, in practice, at least thus far, no deal. They also seem super redundant in a park with a new super looper.

If I had my choice on what our next realistic addition would be (I am, sadly, not counting an RMC Raptor as realistic) it would be a giant discovery. Those things look badass. If I had to place money down on what our end of the year announcement will be though, it would be the scrapping of Tidal Wave and installation of a Freespin.

HITP is set for November 23rd through November 1st.

Nice. Sounds like Six Flags is taking HITP pretty seriously. I'm not sure how popular the fire pits will be mid-summer, though.

My bad, I meant December 31st.

Coming in 2020: Every day is Christmas!

^

I agree with Doug on the Giant Discovery. I also second that Ninja isn't going anywhere. It would be costly to remove and replace and I haven't heard of anything that would indicate that it's beyond routine maintenance.

As far as a Sky Warp being redundant because of our Super Loop, let's be honest. This is Six Flags! The good thing about that is that any similarities, although as few as there may be, between Excalibur and a Giant Discovery will be overlooked.

As far as a Sky Warp being redundant because of our Super Loop, let's be honest. This is Six Flags! The good thing about that is that any similarities, although as few as there may be, between Excalibur and a Giant Discovery will be overlooked.

I think I'd definitely prefer a Giant Discovery over a Sky Warp. But if they did get a Sky Warp they'd definitely market it as the park's "11th coaster", so maybe that's more likely. This is "Missouri's Coaster Capital" after all, but are they even using that tagline anymore?

While a coaster would be best, will a giant discovery fit on that site? I'd assume it will, but I've never seen one in person and am not familiar with the footprint.

The photo below is of Riddler Revenge at SFOT. It should give you an idea of the footprint of a Giant Discovery.

The-Riddler.thumb.jpg.2a4e073d5e5e8aa0dc811c91d3b06004.jpg

The biggest issue I have with a Skywarp is that it is a rattly and uncomfortable experience.

I have no problem if a park installs a superior version of a similar ride. I have to get used to that with SFNE as my home park.

If we were to get a Giant Discovery, wouldn't it be better if placed on site of the Joker Inc and the Arcade? I would think that area needs a better flat than the current Joker Inc.

Also if I had measure correctly with google maps, Tidal Wave area should be able to support two Giant Discovery's in that area if you didn't count for supports. A RMC Raptor on the other hand would very much fit in that area perfectly, one can dream right?

j.png.36db6da983301737e34a39bdddfea946.png

Giant Discovery in the Joker Inc location, based on Black Widow at Kennywood measurements (w/o supports, my guess if like Kennywood the supports would jut out into the walkways in front of the arcade and the side of the theater aka smoking area.)

jj.png.e5600595921cf295539e79a56cad7a9b.png

A RMC Raptor would fit nicely using RailBlazer's measurements

Edited by jamesk25

I was thinking that a Giant Discovery would go nicely behind the Arcade using part of the old paintball stand side of the arcade as the entrance and part of the queue. Adds another flat to that section, making it feel less like a dead end.

That would be awesome if Six Flags would finally use up the land currently underutilized, but wouldn't it be better if that land was used for a bigger addition either to the dry or the wet side of the park (saying the water park needs expansion besides the parking lot)? I would say add something like a one of a kind Proslide HydroMagnetic Mammoth water coaster to the water park