TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

I think SFMM has confirmed they're keeping the Zac Spin

From what I understand is that it was confirmed it would reopen, just not at SFMM.

The Zac Pin is moving next year and Tidal Wave isnt opening this year. Hmmm

Double post I know but I heard on screamscape that Six Flags is looking into adding hotels to their parks. I know the report doesn’t mention SFStL, but if they add a hotel to the StL park, I feel like they would try to buy the Holiday Inn located right at the entrance to the park. What do you all think?

Double post I know but I heard on screamscape that Six Flags is looking into adding hotels to their parks. I know the report doesn’t mention SFStL, but if they add a hotel to the StL park, I feel like they would try to buy the Holiday Inn located right at the entrance to the park. What do you all think?

Interesting. I wonder if this means that they'll start having early ERT everyday for high level passholders and hotel guests then. I know that they do Early Entry at some parks for members, but they don't really get on the rides earlier.

They would never spend the kind of money it would take to buy that hotel. Forget about it.

Our park doesn't have a big enough tourism draw to spend that kind of money. It's also not a large enough park to entertain a two day visit. I'd be incredibly surprised. Six Flags Great Adventure and Six Flags Magic Mountain would be much more suited for hotels.

Ok I read this and was going to agree, no way would they spend the money on a hotel here .......and then just got a survey about hotels at Six Flags parks! It was totally flawed though. I indicated that SFSL was my home park and they then asked me a bunch of questions about staying in a hotel there. WTF? Of course we wouldn't, we live here. I was also asked about SFMM because I indicated we had traveled there in the last few years. But way more questions about SFSL, way to go survey people. Plus, they repeated some questions and there was another question that asked you to choose between two options but then would only let you click yes or no. Not the IT department's finest hour.

But obviously they are exploring the idea.

I did the survey and I am sure all the details are not all listed for competitive reasons but I sure hope they are not planning on getting into this alone. If so, getting into the Hotel Business is a questionable venture for SFSTL at best, it's not a true year round park and doesn't have enough destination attractions to justify such a move considering the many already existing hotels in the area. The Hospitality industry is VERY competitive and having traveled for work a lot, if they want to get into this, they need to understand, they cannot run hotels like they run amusement parks. You can get by with running our park the way they have and get by with it. You can NOT run a hotel this way and expect good reviews which are vital to getting new business and repeat business at the rate you want regardless of what your perks are. Even hotels under the prestigious brands in certain cities fail coming from corporations with nearly a 100 years of experience. They also need to be aware of the return of a certain pest and how difficult it can be for even good hotels to keep those out and the lawsuits that have come from these even against hotels with very high ratings on Google. If they go such a route, they would be wise to have an experienced business partner (ex. Hilton, Marriott, Holiday Inn, Best Western, Drury, etc) connected with them to help them with having off season customers as the hotel will need business during those times as well and if it is not connected to a brand (and the rewards programs) this would be more difficult to have business during the significant portion of the year that the park is not open.

I just don’t really see what they’re wanting to get out of this for a small, regional, seasonal park like SFSTL and that already has hotels nearby available for it’s (nominal) non-local crowd.

For a park like SFMM or SFGAm/SFGAd, I can see this happening. They all have more tourists, enough to do to warrant more than a day’s stay, and Magic Mountain operates year-round. For SFGAdv especially, this could be an extremely wise move as the nearest decent hotels are in Allentown, NJ, like the Hampton I stayed at during my visit, a 20 min drive from the park. The park is truly in the middle of nowhere, NJ, off a state highway, and there’s hardly any businesses yet alone hotels near it (those who’ve been there will know what I’m talking about).

They also need to be aware of the return of a certain pest and how difficult it can be for even good hotels to keep those out and the lawsuits that have come from these even against hotels with very high ratings on Google.

I've had two encounters with bedbugs. Both were at high end establishments. I was terrified and took extreme measures to make sure I didn't bring them home. I can only imagine Six Flags attempting to control bedbugs. There would definitely have to be a partnership with an experienced chain.

Even more off topic, supposedly it's more and more common to get bedbugs from things like air travel, train travel, bus travel, and movie theaters. Sleep tight...

I really think that hotels would be most likely at SFMM, which is also in the middle of nowhere up in the canyons and operates year round. They did ask about that. SFGAm maybe because it would be an alternative to downtown Chicago but I would think it would be hard to fill Jan-March. SFGAdv is in the middle of NJ but it's only about 30 min from most of the Jersey shore towns where there are lots of activities and restaurants and stuff. And again winter. It really seems to me that SFMM is the most logical place to start this experiment, if they go through with it.

The survey is probably trying to mask where this might happen. Although it was funny when they kept giving different scenarios to see if I would click a likely stay for a SFSTl hotel. It was like the survey was trying to tempt/negotiate with me, lol.

Ok I read this and was going to agree, no way would they spend the money on a hotel here .......and then just got a survey about hotels at Six Flags parks! It was totally flawed though. I indicated that SFSL was my home park and they then asked me a bunch of questions about staying in a hotel there. WTF? Of course we wouldn't, we live here. I was also asked about SFMM because I indicated we had traveled there in the last few years. But way more questions about SFSL, way to go survey people. Plus, they repeated some questions and there was another question that asked you to choose between two options but then would only let you click yes or no. Not the IT department's finest hour.

But obviously they are exploring the idea.

The price point they were using in the survey ($249) is too high for a hotel room for that park. Even if it includes some in-park credit it's still too much. some of the survey questions were indeed weird. They asked me some SFGAm questions as well. The way they were worded they seemed to assume i lived hear Gurnee. I don't. Not sure what was up with that.

I'm almost positive that a potential SF hotel would go to Great Adventure. It was genuinely difficult to find a room near there. Magic Mountain would be a good second choice, as there are a few nearby hotels but nothing right there.

Great America though? Man, you've got all kinds of hotels in walking distance. I'd hate to try to break into a saturated market like that, especially on a first attempt.

Magic Mountain would be a good second choice, as there are a few nearby hotels but nothing right there.

Great America though? Man, you've got all kinds of hotels in walking distance. I'd hate to try to break into a saturated market like that, especially on a first attempt.

The area around Magic Mountain is hugely saturated with hotels, so by that same logic I think Great Adventure is the most logical choice. I think they’ll do some hocus-pocus and try to make Great Adventure into a “Resort” given on-site lodging, the safari, the waterpark, and the park itselfof course.

$250 if it includes some amenities and park benefits is a good deal I think. We payed $350 for our one night at Breakers last week, but it was worth every last penny. It’s such a massive convenience being right there in the park (though I wish we’d gone early in June when it was only $150/night. )

The area around Magic Mountain is hugely saturated with hotels

I disagree. There is exactly one hotel within walking distance, and that's the Hilton Garden Inn. Everything else is across I-5 or else on another exit from I-5. That's not saturation.

Compare that to Great America, where you have seven hotels in walking distance, two of which are on the same side of the street as the Six Flags entrance, so you don't even have to cross Grand Ave.