TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

That's really cool. I loved the Bigfoot monster truck growing up. I worshiped it and remember eating lunch under the truck on Lindbergh pretty often. I remember my parents taking me to a monster truck rally at 'The Barn,' wearing ear plugs and having the time of my life.

Ironically, I ended up being into small displacement foreign cars, with zero interest large motor American trucks.

The Bigfoot on Lindbergh is gone now, too, unfortunately. Moved away and sold it to one of the local car dealerships to use as a repair shop.

Zach I actually just scanned some photos in of some various monster truck shows that I attended at the barn. I'll post a link to them tomorrow when they are online. You may of been at one. The barn was a great spot for monsters. I just turned 35 so we are close to the same age, and man, it was awesome as a young kid.

Bigfoot moved to Pacific, MO in 2015. I worked in the Lindbergh shop from 2004 - 2007 and then again from 2010-2012 and the place was getting really long in the tooth. When the Bommaritos wanted to buy basically that entire section of I270 real estate, Bigfoot settled on Pacific as a new location as there was a heavy equipment service shop for sale that fit perfectly for the use plus all the tax breaks, yadda yadda. Pretty funny that the team is now located about 10 minutes from Six Flags!

Since we are talking monsters, if anyone saw the Grave Digger coaster concept from last years IAAPA, it was done by a friend of mine who works for Feld (Monster Jam's parent company) who is a big coaster/monster nerd. I'd love to see that come to fruition at some point!

Hi all! I am going to visit the second weekend of operation on either March 30 or 31st. I have two questions:

1. Are either of those dates Bring a Friend Free or any other big discount on tickets for SFStL passholders? I'd like to avoid a Bring a Friend Free day as I'm a SFOG Gold season passholder.

2. I will need 3 single day tickets, does Dierbergs grocery still have tickets? Or any other single day discounts? The park website still doesn't list date specific tix yet, but says they should be $47.99. Probably worth 2 extra dollars for season pass just in case my friends fall into any other Six flags park this year if there aren't any discounts.

Thank you any who can help!

I haven't purchased discount tickets for quite a while, but I always thought Schnucks Supermarkets were the best places to buy discounted tickets.

Some personal tips:

Make sure to ride Screamin' Eagle several times. Non wheel seats. Unfortunately, you'll be missing out on all of the leaves on the trees, but I love it.

If you've never been on a Mr. Freeze model I think you'll enjoy it.

JB's is a great place to grab a beer, sit on the patio, and hear Mr. Freeze's roar.

There's absolutely no reason to ride the Antique Cars.

Ninja = One and done

Wear comfortable shoes for the hike it takes to get through Batman's queue.

We have a decent train with two stations. It's worth a ride on both section.

The Boss: Butt back, lean forward, grab the restraint bar, and don't sit on a wheel seal. We prefer the middle of the train. With that combination we love it. Otherwise, it's borderline torture.

American Thunder is great.

If I were going to subject myself to park food, I'd go to the Coney Dog place by the palace. I can't remember if that's the name or not, but you can get massive hot dog and covered in chili and cheese if you like.

It's too bad you're visiting that early in the season. The park is a lot more green and charming during the summer, especially in the back half. Don't feel rushed, because you can get through the park quickly.

Hi all! I am going to visit the second weekend of operation on either March 30 or 31st. I have two questions:

1. Are either of those dates Bring a Friend Free or any other big discount on tickets for SFStL passholders? I'd like to avoid a Bring a Friend Free day as I'm a SFOG Gold season passholder.

2. I will need 3 single day tickets, does Dierbergs grocery still have tickets? Or any other single day discounts? The park website still doesn't list date specific tix yet, but says they should be $47.99. Probably worth 2 extra dollars for season pass just in case my friends fall into any other Six flags park this year if there aren't any discounts.

Thank you any who can help!

I would definitely get a season pass, as tax and '"fees" will make a single ticket close to $60.

I was thinking about adding Boomerang to your opinion of not riding it at all. But, let's be honest. It probably will be down for maintenance anyway.

I believe the people who work in the park that post here when they say it's usually running....but yes, this thing is NEVER running whenever I visit. I consider it a rarity when it's up. I'd guess they just don't want to staff it on many days? No clue.

As for other park advice, I think Zach pretty much hit it. If you enjoy wooden coasters I think you'll enjoy the park.

Also, some STL arena pics as promised last page - http://www.bigsquidrc.com/monster-truck-madness-old-skool-memories-of-the-st-louis-arena/

Thanks for the tips on the Train and Coney Dogs. Whenever I'm in a Six Flags park I'm usually just looking for the shortest possible food line lol. We are definitely going to hit every open coaster at least once, I'm most excited for Mr. Freeze and holding hope that somehow some way Xcalibur will be operating right off the jump this year. Still waiting to see if the park releases any ticket specials for that weekend.

Doug, thanks for sharing! For some reason when I saw Bigfoot it instantly took me back to my monster truck micro-machine collection. Those were the days of being mostly poor and running barefoot around our non-grassy yard... Hence, our visit to monster trucks and micro-machines were a pretty big deal for me. I had plenty of dirt/gravel yard to play with monster truck toys. Humble beginnings, for sure.

Our old rental house which I remember during the dawn of my monster truck days! Thank God I was young enough where I don't have too many memories of this place... Granted it has gone down hill (kinda) in 25 years of so..

yJ1DGwd.jpg

I'm pretty sure it's been condemned and set for demolition. There are some of the people I work with who legitimately still don't believe I lived there. I bullshit too much for people to believe everything I say is the truth.

These were the days when I was too afraid to ride anything but the Mine Train.

Continuing the conversation of which rides to enjoy, I've always found Ninja to be just okay and not too rough. I've had some good rides on it and some that are rougher.

But Boomerang is flat out terrible. Skip it unless you have Advil or need the credit. (Also as some people have said, assuming it isn't closed)

• 3 weeks later...

Mini Opening Day report. Medium images load in forum for speed. Click for full size.

SKS8QIom.jpg

Hello there. We meet again.

Let's get right to the big question. What does the Highland Fling site look like?

i5kJ2VDm.jpg

3SDrqNam.jpg

gRZuXHHm.jpg

The concrete is barely broken up and the hydraulic pump, at least I'm guessing that is what it is, is still somewhat intact.

On to ride reports.

1RUu2r7m.jpg

The park is telling the GP Xcalibur will be open so that's something. No apparent work done at ground level. Yet.

WPjOiM5m.jpg

The entire fence behind Colossus has been replaced and the handicap entrance gate permanently removed.

p47Dfitm.jpg

The VR cabinet has been completely removed from Ninja.

6HngoNom.jpg

Wi880MCm.jpg

General Boss improvements. Yellow top rails at the gates. The bottom of every big drop retracked and it is running well. Only one train has been green lit but the MCBR seems to slow you down less so far. Mine Train is also on one train ops.

koAXKebm.jpg

FK3waWom.jpg

Major work on Log Flume this year. She'll be around for years to come.

7eMmYWRm.jpg

Thunder River will flow soon.

U4SQUOim.jpg

The Justice League ride building is getting much needed TLC.

EXb8FgFm.jpg

Batman looking good as always. The stage out front seems to be a slightly different shape than usual.

JGhpDIXm.jpg

Supergirl is sitting in between Old Glory and The Boss not-helix.

RUSRTvrm.jpg

Carousel continues to need work but it runs well.

ZS9vi0mm.jpg

Everything except the towers were open in Illinois.

CE5Syt4m.jpg

Nice to see you Tommy.

On to some other stuff I noticed.

MVxTQx6m.jpg

Some repairs in front of The Palace.

879ATxim.jpg

8YZFMnKm.jpg

Curbs and walls everywhere seem to have been painted this off-season to increase visibility.

QeCDZ8Vm.jpg

A new game. Hang from a bar for 90 seconds to win the choice prize. I didn't get a photo of the axe throwing game. It wasn't staffed.

qpSq6YVm.jpg

On top of the Chop Six makeover Johnny Rockets is also getting work done.

WEvwUWC.jpg

IIRC this game was added for HITP and is still here.

0Op5kDYm.jpg

Primo's seating has been expanded into arcade space.

pjYT0u8m.jpg

Entirely new Flash Pass units this year.

Zc2KT8Xm.jpg

Macho Nacho gets new air doors.

mzmZ0mRm.jpg

And a final park-wide change. Every POS system has been replaced. They are now Raspberry Pi's with a tablet attached for a user-facing price display. No mounts for the tablets yet it appears.

zTxG1MKm.jpg

Well that's it for the report. The last observation is the concrete at the entrance is looking rough and the brickwork around the fountain. Also the light strands appear to have been taken down on these buildings in 1904 - I didn't think to look for others this visit. Maybe they're being replaced for 2020.

I guess I shouldn't still have had hope Xcalibur would be ready with the park, but I did. Thank you much much for this report! Good to see infrastructure improvements.

Can you give a list of what all was closed on opening day? I'm visiting next Sunday and really hoping all coasters (and justice league) are going, anything else is a bonus.

I guess I shouldn't still have had hope Xcalibur would be ready with the park, but I did. Thank you much much for this report! Good to see infrastructure improvements.

Can you give a list of what all was closed on opening day? I'm visiting next Sunday and really hoping all coasters (and justice league) are going, anything else is a bonus.

Skyscreamer and every water ride was closed. The app had been showing Superman was open but I didn't notice a ride cycle running - the app also showed Tsunami Soaker was open, it obviously wasn't it usually opens near Memorial Day. Every coaster was running as was Justice League - I'm not sure how many were on single train ops. They did good IMO.

Thank you for the report. Sounds like a lot of maintenance is going on which is a good thing. I'm intrigued to ride Boss with the reprofiled drops. Those are always the parts that got me the worst. Hope they are smoothed.

I don't think they were reprofiled just retracking.