TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

Boss and Excalibur are not open yet. Let's see, when I was a teenage youngster I liked Mr. Freeze Forward Blast, or as we called it back then, Mr. Freeze. So go to that one.

Seriously, though, the park isn't open to the public tomorrow, so there is no "before the crowds come." Everyone there will have come by bus. I'd say if you want to do Namtab, go to that one as the line can be a little slow. Don't expect to ride much, and whatever you do get to ride, just enjoy it for that.

Aww, the boss is still closed. I know they are shorting it. I really wanted to ride it. You know a long coaster. Cause St. Louis lacks them long (stand out) coaster.

When I was a teenage youngster I liked Mr. Freeze Forward Blast, or as we called it back then, Mr. Freeze. So go to that one.

Those were the days.

Yes. Time to turn it back around. I think this is the seventh year of "reverse blast". I think the gimmick has run its course.

Mike

Sure, the forwards launch was great, but the view looking down from the top spike is so worth giving up the forwards launch IMO. If I want a powerful forwards launch, there are other places I can go to get that experience (even just within the state of Missouri). I can't say the same about watching yourself climb 200 ft+ face down.

Don't get me wrong. I don't like backwards launches at all, but I'm willing to sacrifice one common experience for an uncommon experience.

Oddly, the reverse spike does nothing for me feel wise, but the visual is neat. Maybe it's because there is no profiled drop for floater air. Although Mr. Freeze is all about positive G's, which I enjoy. I'm conflicted, but I've come to like the ride again, even if I liked it much better in it's original form. The bad part is that Emily doesn't care for it, so I always have a tinge of guilt when we ride it. She also doesn't care for Batman that much, despite my love for it. FML

I'm just thinking out loud, but maybe she doesn't care for strong positive G's, since she wasn't a big fan of I305, either. Hmmmm

Sure, the forwards launch was great, but the view looking down from the top spike is so worth giving up the forwards launch IMO. If I want a powerful forwards launch, there are other places I can go to get that experience (even just within the state of Missouri). I can't say the same about watching yourself climb 200 ft+ face down.

Don't get me wrong. I don't like backwards launches at all, but I'm willing to sacrifice one common experience for an uncommon experience.

I agree that watching the ground fall away as you climb the spike backwards is cool. The momentary hang time, sitting in the front, staring straight down at the ground is awesome. Then for a different experience, sitting in the back, you just feel so high up when you are at the top of the spike.

But for me, launching forward stills trumps all that. We get our launching fix on Rock 'n' Rollercoaster at DHS and California Screamin' (soon to be Incredicoaster) at CA, but we don't visit those places ten times a year with the opportunity for multiple rides on most days.

I respect your opinion, but I have experienced the spike in reverse enough times that I would like to go back to the forward launch.

Mike

Oddly, the reverse spike does nothing for me feel wise, but the visual is neat. Maybe it's because there is no profiled drop for floater air. Although Mr. Freeze is all about positive G's, which I enjoy. I'm conflicted, but I've come to like the ride again, even if I liked it much better in it's original form. The bad part is that Emily doesn't care for it, so I always have a tinge of guilt when we ride it. She also doesn't care for Batman that much, despite my love for it. FML

I'm just thinking out loud, but maybe she doesn't care for strong positive G's, since she wasn't a big fan of I305, either. Hmmmm

I don't think you get much air on the spike either, but it was never really about that for me. It's all about the visual. However, I do feel that at the top of the spike, at the moment the train stalls, you get a little bit of floater air. I really like this floater air as it's almost like a perfect high-note to finish out the visual effect (as the train has reached it's maximum point), and of course because it's trilling to be a little out of your seat when you're at the top looking straight down.

I don't like positive-g's much at all, which explains I why I dislike i305 so much, but oddly I love Mr. Freeze for it's positive-gs (among other things). I suppose it's because it's such a short ride with such brief moments of extreme positive-g's that I don't ever get headaches from it.

The only thing I don't really like about Mr. Freeze is the overbank as it has gotten rough over the years, and combined with the positive g's it's pretty uncomfortable these days.

I agree that watching the ground fall away as you climb the spike backwards is cool. The momentary hang time, sitting in the front, staring straight down at the ground is awesome. Then for a different experience, sitting in the back, you just feel so high up when you are at the top of the spike.

But for me, launching forward stills trumps all that. We get our launching fix on Rock 'n' Rollercoaster at DHS and California Screamin' (soon to be Incredicoaster) at CA, but we don't visit those places ten times a year with the opportunity for multiple rides on most days.

I respect your opinion, but I have experienced the spike in reverse enough times that I would like to go back to the forward launch.

Mike

Why just those two coasters? There are plenty of forwards launching coasters much closer to St. Louis than those. In fact, within the United States, those two are probably some of the furthest ones away from St. Louis.

Thunderbird I hear has a good launch, and Powerkeg's launch is amazing, or there's V2 up north, and all of are much closer, for example. I understand they involve a modest bit of traveling, but my point still remains that I've seen enough of forward launches to not miss having one at my home park.

Why just those two coasters? There are plenty of forwards launching coasters much closer to St. Louis than those. In fact, within the United States, those two are probably some of the furthest ones away from St. Louis.

Thunderbird I hear has a good launch, and Powerkeg's launch is amazing, or there's V2 up north, and all of are much closer, for example. I understand they involve a modest bit of traveling, but my point still remains that I've seen enough of forward launches to not miss having one at my home park.

We will get to SDC some day and possibly SFGAm this Summer. We have four kids ages 2 to 20 so we do a Disney vacation every couple years. (My wife grew up in Southern California with DL annual passes so she is a Disney freak.) The nine-year-old just hit 54 inches at the end of last year, so other parks with more extreme coasters are now feasible.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Mike

That is almost verbatim what I said to my son when he was aghast that I liked reverse Freeze, not for the launch but for the view. He insists that the old forwards launch is best which is interesting since he has only ever ridden it in its current state having not been tall enough before. He has ridden several forward launches though to be fair.

We will get to SDC some day and possibly SFGAm this Summer. We have four kids ages 2 to 20 so we do a Disney vacation every couple years. (My wife grew up in Southern California with DL annual passes so she is a Disney freak.) The nine-year-old just hit 54 inches at the end of last year, so other parks with more extreme coasters are now feasible.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Mike

Understandable! I'm sure your kids are making great memories on the Disney vacations. I know I did with my family. But when they come of age, SDC is a fantastic park for families and thrill seekers that really is a must visit for anyone.

Understandable! I'm sure your kids are making great memories on the Disney vacations. I know I did with my family. But when they come of age, SDC is a fantastic park for families and thrill seekers that really is a must visit for anyone.

When I was a kid our family went to SDC one Summer when Fire in the Hole was their only coaster. It was my second coaster after Mine Train at SFSTL. Loved it. Got back to SDC a few times for as an adult on trips to spend Thanksgiving with my ex's parents in Springfield, but before they added all the coasters. Nice park and very well done Christmas event.

Mike

So I got this feeling that the Ninja will be replaced with a Wonder Woman Lasso Coaster (SF Fiesta). Just a hunch, just seems like the caliber type of coaster SFSTL would get - Very Cool but not something ground or record breaking. Just the right size for our park and it would fit in the Ninja's footprint nicely

Edited by SteveStL

It possible that SFSTL could get an RMC Raptor type coaster since they seem to be affordable. But if it means taking out Ninja then it may not happen. SF doesn't seem intent on removing anything from the park unless they have no choice (Highland Fling).

I know I literally just argued the park doesn't remove many rides just a few weeks ago. But they do remove rides even when they do have a choice. Rush Street Flyer didn't have to go for Fireball - they could have put it elsewhere. I doubt Aero Flyer repairs were expensive given the ubiquitous nature of the ride. They could have kept it and added Skyscreamer if they wanted to. Slingshot didn't have to go and they didn't even replace that with anything.

They definitely don't like removing coasters though. Rockin' Roller is the last one to disappear. Jet Scream didn't have to go to make room for Ninja.