TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

Another tidbit about the Evolution rides. Whereas most Frisbees and swinging pendulum rides pull the floor out to allow for clearance for the big spinning arm, the Evolution (in its original state) and another example, the Imperator, actually did it in reverse - the ride arm itself retracted upward before each cycle really got going. Check out this video of the Imperator from 2004:

It was necessary because it was obviously not feasible to dig a huge hole in the ground every single time the ride was set up at a fair, and a retractable platform for a 64-passenger ride (that's 16 cars, 4 people each) was likely too complicated to develop. For Six Flags, digging the "clearance ditch" was probably no big deal because the Evolution was added as a permanent installation each time. I would say that the trailer-mount version looks much more imposing because of how much closer you could have gotten to it while it was operating.

EDIT: Also, apparently 14 trailers to transport one of these things. Just let that sink in.

I wasn't aware that Excalibur was at a traveling fair before SFGadv. That's pretty neat.

I don't ever want to ride it, but I do want it to stick around because I know people love it.

Same. It's also really cool to watch. There's no reason to get a Giant Discovery and I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon.

Another tidbit about the Evolution rides. ...apparently 14 trailers to transport one of these things. Just let that sink in.

And I was upset that a band I worked load-in/security/load-out for had 2 trailers.

Hey, it could be worse... It takes Beyonce seven Boeing 747 air freighters and a fleet of more than 70 trucks to get her stage set and other gear to the venues.

I found a website that shows the disassembly process of Imperator, Xcalibur's younger sister. The pictures were spread across multiple pages which is why there are multiple links.These pictures really show how massive these rides are.

First

Second

Third

Fourth

I wasn't aware that Excalibur was at a traveling fair before SFGadv. That's pretty neat.
I don't ever want to ride it, but I do want it to stick around because I know people love it.

Same. It's also really cool to watch. There's no reason to get a Giant Discovery and I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon.

As long as Excalibur is in working order there is no reason to get a Discovery. But the ride is old, there may come a time when, like Highland Fling, it is too expensive to maintain. The logical successor would be a Discovery complete with LED light package. Keep in mind that, although similar in appearance, the ride experience of a Discovery differs from that of Excalibur rather dramatically.

As for how much people would love a Discovery as opposed to Excalibur, I can only tell you this. Here at SFOT, Riddler is our park's most popular attraction outside of New Texas Giant. Wait times for Riddler are generally 45 mins to an hour and a half, depending on what day you go.

Eh, Six Flags St. Louis has plenty of space if they really want a Discovery. They're different enough from Excalibur it's not unthinkable for them to have both. Tidal Wave's spot would be great for one, or if they don't want to remove anything, there are a number of places. Could even go east past Skyscreamer or past Ninja. I'd be all for them getting one, those rides are fun.

Edited by ytterbiumanalyst

Yeah Riddler's line was insane last year when I went to SFOT. Didn't help I went to Fright Fest on a Saturday though. But even when Titan and New Texas Giant were near walk ons on Sunday Riddler still had a several cycle line.

I couldn't pass up perfectly good walk ons for that - but then it reached 2 hour waits again in the evening so I ended up not riding.

While I don't ride Xcalibur due to the spinning, I really love watching it. It's unique and makes for some awesome pictures and atmosphere. I also love frisbee rides like the Zamperla Giant Discovery. All of that aside, I will say that a Giant Discovery would not fit in Xcalibur's spot, as others had suggested. You'd need about an extra fifty feet of clearance or so on one side. While Xcalibur has more-or-less a square footprint, the Discovery is a much, much larger rectangle. (My sources are just Zamperla's tech specs on their site and comparing Xcalibur to Giant Discovery installations elsewhere using Google maps' feature that allows you to estimate distance).

If anything, Highland Fling was more similar to XCalibur than a Giant Discovery would be, so my vote would be "why not both?"

Just eyeballing it maybe a Giant Discovery could maybe fit on Freeze Island too. I always wonder what the logistics of operating a second ride on there would be though. I suppose a second bridge is needed.

It'd certainly be breathtaking there.

I'm also one of the folks that enjoys watching Xcalibur but doesn't want to ride because of nausea. Seems to be a lot of folks like that. Regardless, I hope it keeps ticking. With the flat ride issues, I'm thinking next year is going to for sure be some kind of addition to bolster that lineup. A giant frisbee would rock!

Also, that many trailers to haul that thing makes me wonder how on earth was it ever financially viable to have it travel?!

Just eyeballing it maybe a Giant Discovery could maybe fit on Freeze Island too. I always wonder what the logistics of operating a second ride on there would be though. I suppose a second bridge is needed.

It'd certainly be breathtaking there.

I doubt we will ever see anything added to Freeze Island. Anything added to the island would make it more difficult to get equipment to Freeze, such as the two massive cranes need to replace the LIMs on the tower.

I agree that I doubt we'd see it. But to me it looks like the cranes approach the spike between the launch tunnel and the track leading to the spike. That would leave much of the area in the space inside the overbank untouched.

pg7JIRf.png

We bought the basic dining plan in a sale last Christmas, and I'm looking into it now that the season's about to start. Haven't ever had this before, and Six Flags' website says to check the locations in park for times. Anybody here know what the lunch hours and snack hours are?

We bought the basic dining plan in a sale last Christmas, and I'm looking into it now that the season's about to start. Haven't ever had this before, and Six Flags' website says to check the locations in park for times. Anybody here know what the lunch hours and snack hours are?

last year lunch was 11 to 3pm - I think and snacks were 11 to 7 pm depending on park hours

not sure, someone will correct me -

my advice go early at start time and on off days (NON WEEKENDS) for maximum pleasant usage of this perk -

I did not usually snack but presume there would be waits except between meal periods. good luck

kevin

I doubt we will ever see anything added to Mr. Freeze Island as it has it's own power grid specifically built to isolate the power-hungry Freeze from other attractions ... although I am not the most informed on this board on just how much more that power grid could handle.

I doubt we will ever see anything added to Mr. Freeze Island as it has it's own power grid specifically built to isolate the power-hungry Freeze from other attractions ... although I am not the most informed on this board on just how much more that power grid could handle.

Agreed... My guess all new development will happen on the East Side of the Park, Tidal Wave and down toward Hurricane Harbor.