TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

So through a little bit of research I learned that from Fright Nights I in 1988 all the way to Fright Fest 1997 the park opened at 10:00 AM, but in 1998 they pushed it back an hour to 11:00 AM, and then in 2010 they pushed it back again to 12:00 AM which is what it is now. What gives?

It isn't so much staffing as you think. It is partially due to labor laws, but primarily because of profitability. During Fright Fest, the majority of attendance comes for the evening attractions in the dark. Fully staffing the park from 10A-12P became pointless and a huge waste of money due to very low attendance during those times, and not getting any return profit from guest spending. They saw attendance numbers spike dramatically around 12P, so they pushed opening back to this time.

I went to the park once a few years ago and had a good time. I'm thinking about going to Holiday in the Park since I've heard good things about it. Is it worth going considering I won't be able to ride all of the coasters? Should I wait to go during the regular season next year?

Actually we don't know if anything will be closed this year. It was November before they released a map for HITP last year.

Boss won't be because it can't run below a certain temperature (although I can't remember what that temperature is), but the whole Illinois section of the park was closed off last season because of Boomerang and with it being re-opened now all the rides back there should operate, we should get a info dump about HITP with all the rides soon after FF is over

I went to the park once a few years ago and had a good time. I'm thinking about going to Holiday in the Park since I've heard good things about it. Is it worth going considering I won't be able to ride all of the coasters? Should I wait to go during the regular season next year?

I really enjoyed HITP last year, but I don't know if the five hour trek would be worth it, personally. There are a limited selection of rides open and it's just like being in the park with a ton of Christmas lights. It was totally enjoyable as a local event, though.

That said, I'm all in for Great America's Last Call Fall Brew/Food Festival the weekend after next, since most of the rides will be operating.

Actually we don't know if anything will be closed this year. It was November before they released a map for HITP last year.

Boss won't be because it can't run below a certain temperature (although I can't remember what that temperature is), but the whole Illinois section of the park was closed off last season because of Boomerang and with it being re-opened now all the rides back there should operate, we should get a info dump about HITP with all the rides soon after FF is over

I wonder if the park is considering using heaters to warm the rolling stock like Great Adventure has. If so The Boss might be possible. Any employees know if they were testing The Boss weekdays during HITP to see if there are ways to get her going?

I wonder if the park is considering using heaters to warm the rolling stock like Great Adventure has. If so The Boss might be possible. Any employees know if they were testing The Boss weekdays during HITP to see if there are ways to get her going?

Are you sure its the trains and not possibly the track that hinders cold weather operations - I know the cold must effect both to some degree - expansion or contraction of the rails, bolts, ice formation etc. it may not be possible to do anything to the track. I know very little on the subject, but am curious. I would surmise the track is more vulnerable to cold weather damage than the trains. Not to mention the dangers of emergency evacuation in the event of a problem - unloading a train on an Icy, dark, coaster track in freezing temps is certainly not something you want to have to do.

Kevin

I believe it comes down to the temperature of the wheels/bearings. If the track contacts that should make the ride faster you'd think, less contact with the up stops and guide rails. And in the mornings they have to add weight to the trains until the wheels warm up, then the trains will complete the circuit empty.

Heaters in particular probably can boost its cold weather operation, but I don't know by how much. Getting the optimal air flow to that area might also be difficult with the station design. In order to prevent valleying they probably review the circuit completion times like they were on most of the other rides last year. American Thunder did go down for lubrication a few times because it was starting to run slow IIRC.

Heading to the park this sunday? I know it will be cold I was just wondering about the crowds and if boss/freeze will run with the cold tempertures. Thanks.

Mr. Freeze is open for Holiday in the Park so there's not much of a concern there. No clue about Boss, but on a Fright Fest Saturday I'm sure they'll try their best to get it running.

For anyone visiting or driving by the park soon, you may notice that the speed slides are completely gone. All that remains for now is the tower. Even though I physically won’t be able to experience the attraction, I’m still pretty excited for Typhoon Twister.

If memory servers correct its 50 degrees. I highly doubt they will install heaters like SDC does for Outlaw run (I think).

Does it really cost that much money to make the ferries wheel a pumpkin again ????

$3,000 +/-, its being looked into for next year. Some well meaning maintenance works cut out the wrong cables, destroying the pumpkin.

Does anybody know where I can find a detailed timeline of Fright Fest over the last 30 years? There used to be one up on SFSTL.net but after it shut down it can't be accessed even from archive.org, if anyone knows anything about something out there that I don't please let me know.

If i can find the old drive I had all the content on, would anyone want me to put out there the old photos from 71 and some of the other random crap we use to have out there?

If memory servers correct its 50 degrees. I highly doubt they will install heaters like SDC does for Outlaw run (I think).

50 degrees is what I've always heard as well. In regards to the cold affecting the woodies, I rode American Thunder on a freezing night at last year's holiday in the park and it was awesome. It didn't feel noticeably slower, but I know that coaster is a much different animal than Eagle and Boss.

Also, a big plus for those coming to HITP is Batman will get the afterburners added by way of the winter wheels. That WAS noticeably faster. Makes a great ride even better.

Does it really cost that much money to make the ferries wheel a pumpkin again ????

$3,000 +/-, its being looked into for next year. Some well meaning maintenance works cut out the wrong cables, destroying the pumpkin.

For reference for about $7200 in PWM-controllable RGB LED strips (20 runs around 22.5 meters each @ <$15/meter), and below $1000 in controller hardware (potentially less than $500), an enterprising maintenance person could build a display on the wheel that could display basically anything you’d want it to. This might actually be comparable to the addressable LED Christmas trees.

It’d cost more than fixing the pumpkin. But it costs less than I’d have expected.

PS: Outlaw Run's minimum opening temp is 37°F. I can't see The Boss being as high as 50° even if Outlaw has heaters.

PS: Outlaw Run's minimum opening temp is 37°F. I can't see The Boss being as high as 50° even if Outlaw has heaters.

Click

Operating temperature is about 50-55°.

Okay so HITP Boss is a pipe dream. I'm not sure what makes it so sensitive.

I'd still love Eagle, I do wonder if it can be run.