TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

well the economy could loosen up and get a lot better and that time may come sooner, but its gotta be tough to outlay for a $15 million attraction, for a park that might take 5-10 years to recoup that. You could put it in magic mountain and get it back in 2-3 years.

up to four cents....

Kevin

At some point, SFStL is going to get a new coaster. It probably won't be a $20 million B&M (SF isn't putting those in any of their parks right now, the last being X-Flight in 2012), but it will be something like a S&S Free Spin or the RMC Raptor. SFFT is also in a smaller market and is not a "destination park" but it has gotten both of these coasters in a 3 year period. The cost of these coasters is probably similar to the JL:BFM ride and SF was willing to make that kind of investment at SFStL. So if SFStL doesn't get a new coaster announced tomorrow, then it will probably get the Free Spin or Raptor in 2019 or 2020.

I may be in the minority, but I would not be happy if the park RMC'd any of the wooden coasters. I like them all and each provides a different experience. I know the park doesn't care what I like, but is interested in the bottom line.

I think a mid sized coaster will come eventually, but who knows when. I agree with the hope that Ninja gets replaced if something goes. Maybe they would expand into the area on the east side of the park where the paintball field/hayride area is, but I don't see them doing that without moving/removing NInja, Tidal Wave, or Joker. Otherwise there would be significant work involved with creating some sort of path to the new ride. Just an observation...and probably not a particularly accurate one.

Honestly, if they are making changes and additions on a yearly basis, I don't think that's too bad. Maybe they aren't installing the rides most of us desire, but at least they aren't just sitting idle.

We loved when they had the Mardi Gras festival. The food was AMAZING and my kids loved the parade. I would love to see Six Flags have more festivals that would offer different types of entertainment and food options.

Absolutely, that festival was the most fun we've had at Six Flags in a long time. If they keep adding stuff like that, I'll be very happy.

well the economy could loosen up and get a lot better and that time may come sooner, but its gotta be tough to outlay for a $15 million attraction, for a park that might take 5-10 years to recoup that. You could put it in magic mountain and get it back in 2-3 years.

up to four cents....

Kevin

At some point, SFStL is going to get a new coaster. It probably won't be a $20 million B&M (SF isn't putting those in any of their parks right now, the last being X-Flight in 2012), but it will be something like a S&S Free Spin or the RMC Raptor. SFFT is also in a smaller market and is not a "destination park" but it has gotten both of these coasters in a 3 year period. The cost of these coasters is probably similar to the JL:BFM ride and SF was willing to make that kind of investment at SFStL. So if SFStL doesn't get a new coaster announced tomorrow, then it will probably get the Free Spin or Raptor in 2019 or 2020.

I think it is more of a possibility to get a Large Scale Coaster transplant rather than a brand new Installation. That would satisfy a big budget coaster at a low cost.

up to four cents....

Kevin

I think it is more of a possibility to get a Large Scale Coaster transplant rather than a brand new Installation. That would satisfy a big budget coaster at a low cost.

Would Kanonen qualify as a large scale coaster transplant? Just kidding.

Put me on the list that doesn't want to see Eagle get RMC'd. I'd be down for the Boss for sure, but I don't see that happening from a budget standpoint. One other thing on this though. Wasn't the length of the coaster one of the reasons they said they couldn't RMC it? I'm just going off things in this thread from a couple of years ago, so I don't know if it's legit or not, but I do recall them saying that they'd have to seriously reduce the length because of the loss of speed with the RMC trains/wheels. If it was a reason they threw out there, wouldn't what they're doing with Mean Streak put that reasoning to bed? Again, it's not happening anytime soon and probably ever, but just fess up, it's 100% a budgetary issue.

My family would be happy with a water coaster. We usually take a trip to Holiday World every year and we all love Wildebeest and Mammoth. Not that I expect this to be as good as either of those, but it would be a welcome and desperately needed addition to the water park. It may even be enough that we decide to get season tickets again. This was the first year we didn't get them since the boys hit the 36" milestone. There were several reasons for this that had nothing to do with Six Flags itself, but our diminished enjoyment of the waterpark definitely played a small part of it.

Then next year replace Ninja with a Raptor or T-Rex and I think that would definitely make some people happy.

^^Mean Streak's lift was increased by an unpresedented amount - 44 ft. The only RMC that comes close to that number is Iron Rattler, which gained 45 feet on the drop but nothing on the overall height.

Few past conversions have even seen height increases - NTAG, Joker, and Storm Chaser. Those were measly gains of exactly 10ft, 15ft, and 20ft respectfully. Storm Chaser only lost 250' of track one of the original sides.

A lot of conversions lost height. Wicked Cycle lost 3ft, Medusa: 5ft, Twisted Colossus: 4ft, and Iron Rattler gained not lost anything. Sure, you could factor in the drop, but it's too late for me to care that much about it. Most conversions that gained height on the drop were simply recovering height that had been lost on the original ride. Wicked Cyclone got a lot out of that increased drop by not expending a ton of energy early on in the layout, but for Iron Rattler, the benefit was moot as it immediately shot back up into that first inversion hill that's nearly as tall as the old one was.

So I'm sure you could make an RMC Boss possible by severely lowering the average height of the elements, but that's as much of a neutering as shortening the layout. Increasing the lift a lot like Mean Streak just doesn't seem very feasible with the Boss, nor within SFStL's budget.

Which brings me to the next point, likely more important than the first. Even if my speculation is all wrong, a Mean Streak scale conversion of the Boss seems very much outside of their budget.

Well, it's only four hours until 5am, so hopefully everyone online right now can catch some sleep before the announcement video goes online at 5.

I have my first economics test in the morning in which I have been behind in due to joining the class two weeks later but yet I can't sleep or study. I'm too excited for the announcements!

My bets are on the water coaster. A raptor would be a perfect replacement for the Ninja and is a seemingly very plausible possibility in the future, but imagine we will be one of the last Six Flag's to get a raptor.

Debuting in Spring 2018: Typhoon Twister, a new water thrill, is heading to Hurricane Harbor in 2018. Typhoon Twister is the latest addition to the 12-acre water park which is offered free with theme park admission.The hybrid coaster joins our other water park thrills of Bonzai Pipeline, and Tornado.

Six Flags St. Louis prepares for Typhoon Twister in 2018. Storm chasers will swirl around the 125-ft. whirlpool before being sucked into the vortex and plummeting down the 5-story, enclosed slide. The four-person raft is then shot up a 45-ft., zero gravity wave wall where riders experience moments of weightlessness before sailing back down and shooting out another tube to a splash pool. This hybrid, zero-gravity water slide is an adrenaline rush giving storm chasers two thrilling experiences in one mindboggling attraction.

“Six Flags St. Louis takes great pride in offering our guests new, groundbreaking rides and attractions every year. For 2018, Six Flags leads the way in innovation again as Typhoon Twister is unlike any other water attraction, giving riders two completely different thrill experiences in one very intense slide,” said Park President Pete Carmichael. “This one-of-a-kind experience is another big reason why our guests will want to enjoy both the water park and the theme park during their visits next year."

Typhoon Twister features four-person rafts that careen wildly into a 125-foot long whirlpool bowl that spins riders around 360 degrees before the bottom drops out, sending guests plummeting down an enclosed five-story drop. Storm chasers will then be propelled up a 45-ft. zero-gravity wave wall to experience moments of weightlessness before falling back down and shooting out into the splash pool below.

Typhoon Twister highlights include:

A hybrid, zero-gravity drop slide;

A 125-ft long whirlpool bowl with a 54-ft vertical drop;

A unique 45-ft. high wave wall that sends riders into weightlessness;

Cloverleaf tube seats four people all facing each other; and

Pumps 300,000 gallons of water per hour.

184616259_ScreenShot2017-08-31at05_23_08.thumb.png.992a2c8410821fb27b5cef388b030b0d.png

SFSL_TyphoonTwister-Overhead-View-(3).thumb.jpg.5ff595f0547d028dd06e75f84fc124a4.jpg

SFSL_TyphoonTwister_Side_View.thumb.jpg.ae7df6d5fee94c3df4a5a4b8b8fef79c.jpg

Edited by robbalvey

I know we all pretty much knew a waterpark addition was coming, but many were thinking water coaster, which I too would have enjoyed, but when I heard it was multi element slide, I was pretty excited about it. Yes, I know no one cares as much about the waterpark, but this is a much needed attraction and will be very welcomed by the visitors to Hoosier Harbor.... but so far, it seems to be pretty welcomed.

I do have to say though, I am pretty impressed Six Flags is putting in a few of those giant space rings on crack, definitely unique rides being brought to the states. Everything else Six Flags announced, mehhhhh