TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

Wow, that seems really early. We still have about 2 more weeks of 100 degree weather in MO.
Thunder River closed for the season yesterday.

it does seem really early and the open hours are reduced again to 6 pm close on weekdays -

this goes a long way to show that the park relies very heavily on local traffic for income - school starts this week and next for most of the STL area.

hence the unlikelihood of any sort of major roller coaster ever being erected.

my two cents

Kevin

That would be an incorrect conclusion. Assuming plans don't change you will figure out why it closed earlier than normal this season soon enough.

Oh really? Well that certainly is interesting.

Wouldn't happen to figure out on 8/31 eh?

Actually it looks like RMC developed a three train option for both models they're selling. It'd get closer to 800 riders. That sounds like it is a must for a Six Flags.

You do know their business model, right? There is no way they buy any more than the minimum number of trains.

I know of course they won't. The 400 Riders per hour is going to make for a miserable line.

Park President Jeffery Seibert confirmed in a Q&A session to Texas Thrillseekers that it'll be

A three train operation with continuous moving trains in the station for loading and unloading.

They'll make it work.

He also stated they are wanting to have the coaster in operation by Spring Break 2018.

Sucks that SFStL will probably get screwed over yet again.

Okay, well three trains will help, but it's still 3 trains that combined add up to 1 normal train. And count me skeptical that Six Flags gets any new ride running by Spring Break.

Considering SFFT wants to get theirs open before CGA, I'm pretty sure they can get it done. Barring any unforeseen circumstances, it should be open mid March. It's not the norm for Six Flags but SFFT isn't the norm either. They've done it before.

There are also less supports to construct and less footers to pour. I'm interested to see how fast this coasters goes up. RMC may have something to prove with this new model. For once, I have a feeling SF will get this ride up and running on time.

Spring Break is huge down in that area of Texas, correct? Makes sense as to why they'd want it up and running then.

As for Thunder River, the forecast for the next 10 days is high 70s and low 80s. MO weather is nuts, but there is a good chance that with the weather breaking like that for song that the 100 degree days are done for the year. If they are gonna be doing some kind of work/update, may as well just do it now I guess.

Spring Break is huge down in that area of Texas, correct? Makes sense as to why they'd want it up and running then.

Actually, it could be a reason not to be done by Spring Break. They open for full hours during the local schools break and it's packed already. The kids are going to come anyway for school break. If you don't open the coaster till school lets out for the year in May, they have an enticement to come back. They see the construction in March and think I want to come back to ride that unique looking coaster in a few months.

Edited by Jobo

There are also less supports to construct and less footers to pour. I'm interested to see how fast this coasters goes up. RMC may have something to prove with this new model. For once, I have a feeling SF will get this ride up and running on time.

According to Scott Voyles they expect to be able to fully construct in 2 months.

Maybe a park employee knows what happened.

Not a current employee but did work at Pandemonium two years ago. I'm honestly kind of at a loss as to how Panda managed to valley... I wasn't even entirely sure that it could during normal operations (believe me, we tried pretty hard to get it to valley during safeties that year). What were the weather conditions? I know it has some issues in wet and/or cold conditions, but that's usually fairly easily rectified by placing the ride in Weather Mode; even if it wasn't, it should still have been more than hot and dry enough to not cause any issues.

My only other explanation is a bit of a reach, but it would have to do with the power outage (if they are even related). If the power outage happened right as or right before the car crested the lift, the lift would've begun to slow down as it stopped, but still should've had enough momentum to allow the car to continue on the track. I suppose it could be possible that it slowed the car down just enough (with the right amount of weight/weight distribution from the passengers) to fall just shy of cresting the first drop before Brake 1.

If it is indeed related to the power outage, then it's just some bad luck; a few seconds earlier or later and they would've either stopped on the lift or in Brake 1.

Weather was fine, cloudy, but dry and in the upper 70's by the time this happened in the afternoon. Had been wet and cold the day before but it was running fine all morning.

My son thought your second explanation about the lift chain stopping just enough to slow it down but the power outage was on Sunday and this was on Monday and like I said it was working fine in the morning. Doesn't mean there was not a power outage on Monday, just that we never witnessed one. We had gotten off Eagle and were cutting back through kid's area when we came upon the situation; and everything around it was working fine. Maybe just some malfunction on the lift hill?

Yeah I don't think Shazam would go anywhere. Too easy to keep it running as discussed before.

Although moving it to Fling's spot and putting a Catwoman in that location would make thematic sense (Freeze and Catwoman together)

Except that Shazam is also a D.C. character (I myself didn't know this for a long time).

Also, just retheming Shazam would make more financial sense anyway. It would be much cheaper to paint just Shazam black and purple and call it Catwoman's Whip than to do what you described.

Yeah I don't think Shazam would go anywhere. Too easy to keep it running as discussed before.

Although moving it to Fling's spot and putting a Catwoman in that location would make thematic sense (Freeze and Catwoman together)

I'm assuming that by "Catwoman" you mean a Zamperla Endeavor like the one at SFOT.

I'm assuming that by "Catwoman" you mean a Zamperla Endeavor like the one at SFOT.

Yeah, isn't that the only ride Six Flags has given the Catwoman name?

^ I don't think so. SFNE has a kiddie coaster called Catwoman Whip, however, SFOT is the only SF park to have an Endeavor 48 ride. The only other such ride in the US is at Coney Island, but theirs is the smaller Endeavor 24 model.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Luna Park

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Six Flags over Texas

Yeah I took that tweet as just a "get a ride before the season ends!" type of post. That scrambler is a work horse ride for the youngsters. It's a great "middle ground" ride for those too big for Bugs Bunny Park, but too small for the big thrill rides.

I'm really bummed to see Thunder river closed so early for the season. In previous years it has been open sometimes during Fright fest. Also Tidal Wave has been closed a lot as well this year.

Same here. It seems really early for it to be closed for the season. I remember working on that ride in late September.