TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

Seeing that Six Flags Fiesta is getting the first RMC Raptor and the fact it's going to be replacing a Tidal Wave like "Shoot the Chutes" ride gives me great hope we will land one of those clones eventually. That thing looks sick (holy shit that first drop will be airtime city) and given the footprint, if successful I bet they will be making their way into all the parks eventually. Batman 2.0.

Unfortunately, however, the rider capacity of this thing seems depressing at a mere 400 or so per hour! But it does appear affordable and easy to clone.

As long as they figure out the capacity issue, these things could be a home run. Fitting that kind of crazy coaster in that small of a footprint with what appears to be a very simple design could be massively popular with smaller parks. I'd imagine those are significantly cheaper than a standard steel coaster while still providing the punch of a bigger one.

Dbl Post, sorry.

Anyone know the cost of the Raptor going into SFFT? Compared to, let's say, a 4d spinny gimmick?

Not known. But if you go by RMC initial statements on Raptors is that is was designed as a high thrill coaster for smaller parks. If the target market is smaller parks they wouldn't make the ride expensive b/c then smaller parks would not be able to afford it. Trex's are suppose to be the big park coaster and thus will likely have a big park price tag.

As long as they figure out the capacity issue, these things could be a home run. Fitting that kind of crazy coaster in that small of a footprint with what appears to be a very simple design could be massively popular with smaller parks. I'd imagine those are significantly cheaper than a standard steel coaster while still providing the punch of a bigger one.

That's what I was getting at. Hopefully it's the new clone thing to do. Much more attractive to coaster enthusiasts, as well. Especially more-so than the 4D, in my opinion. There's a Raptor and a T-Rex. Wonder if 6Flags will scrounge up the TRex somewhere, too. Either way, this is exciting to see 6Flags put in REAL (kinda) steel.

The only capacity fix might be to make a wide version of Raptor for a two wide train. But how many inches wider would it have to be? Too wide and you've basically got TRex.

Edit: Actually it looks like RMC developed a three train option for both models they're selling. It'd get closer to 800 riders. That sounds like it is a must for a Six Flags.

Actually it looks like RMC developed a three train option for both models they're selling. It'd get closer to 800 riders. That sounds like it is a must for a Six Flags.

You do know their business model, right? There is no way they buy any more than the minimum number of trains.

Actually it looks like RMC developed a three train option for both models they're selling. It'd get closer to 800 riders. That sounds like it is a must for a Six Flags.

You do know their business model, right? There is no way they buy any more than the minimum number of trains.

I know of course they won't. The 400 Riders per hour is going to make for a miserable line.

A few little pieces of news from the park:

First, the park announced a new One-Day Dining Deal. Besides being fun to say, the One-Day Dining Deal includes a lunch, dinner, snack, and a red refillable sports bottle for $34.99. If you're visiting the park for a day (whether as a one-day ticket holder or even pass holder), I can see how this new program could make things easier and save some money, especially if you were going to be eating there anyway. More information can be found here.

Second, as I don't think I've seen it posted yet, the SkyScreamer will be running in reverse through Labor Day. Back when they were thinking about doing it like that for Fright Fest one year, I had the pleasure of "testing" it out during the employee preview night. While it got my stomach a bit more than the normal version, I really enjoyed it as something different. More information here.

Third, Fright Fest auditions have begun, so for anyone interested, make sure to check the website to apply by clicking here. Who knows, you could even end up 'famous' like Harleyguy who continues to be featured in promotional material online. (Of course, there are still plenty of positions open in various areas of the park this year for those interested.)

Fourth, in celebration of the eclipse coming up on the 21st, the park has announced a 'Total Eclipse of the Park' event where eclipse viewers can come out, pay $10 to park, and there will also be NASA-approved viewing glasses available for $2. More information is available here.

Fifth, it's one of the most popular times of the year for one-day ticket holders, as the 8th Annual School Supply Drive is back again. It is by far one of the best values the park offers and also benefits a great cause. Click here for more information including a list of eligible supplies.

Sixth, the park has added two Friday nights in August to its operating calendar. I don't know when/if they've ever done this in the past, but this will be especially helpful to those who still haven't come to terms with the summer ending. While not staying open quite as late as Fright Fest Fridays, on August 18th and 25th, the park will be open from 6:00-11:00pm. If you don't have a season pass, make sure you check out the details for school discounts by clicking here.

Seventh, this hasn't been the most "fun" update to write, but I'm happy to see the park continuing successful past events/programs while also trying some new things that look like they could add even more value to season passes. Wow. I sound like a commercial, but...uh...yea...so that's about all I have to say about that. Oh, and anyone visiting Sunday should definitely make sure to check out Superman in the evening.

They also added Friday September 1st, Halloween on Monday only 6-10. Additionally they added Wednesday before Thanksgiving. I love how they keep adding days to the park.

Almost a year round park now. Remember they opened on March 25 this year and the last day is New Years Eve.

Dbl Post, sorry.

Anyone know the cost of the Raptor going into SFFT? Compared to, let's say, a 4d spinny gimmick?

I'd imagine the Raptor is cheaper construct since RMC manufactures the track, trains, and builds the ride themselves. While $&S outsources for tracks, supports, and I believe trains as well. Though the cost to Six Flags probably depends on the profit margins of the manufacturer, which none of us will probably ever know lol.

A Raptor track clone would be cool eventually, but we have just as much reason to believe a raptor track is coming as we do a Boss Iron Horse conversion or S&S Free Spin. I would also be surprised if SF Corp didn't clone Wonder Woman. Everyone thought X-Flight at SFGam was the next coaster to be cloned when it had its debut. I just don't believe there is anything in the works for a roller coaster, at this point. Especially since every indication so far has been geared toward us receiving a water coaster next year.

A Raptor track clone would be cool eventually, but we have just as much reason to believe a raptor track is coming as we do a Boss Iron Horse conversion or S&S Free Spin. I would also be surprised if SF Corp didn't clone Wonder Woman. Everyone thought X-Flight at SFGam was the next coaster to be cloned when it had its debut. I just don't believe there is anything in the works for a roller coaster, at this point. Especially since every indication so far has been geared toward us receiving a water coaster next year.

Oh yes, totally agree about next year. But I wonder if they wouldn't do it for the year or two after. Personally, would LOVE something like the RMC steel than the Free Spin. But next year, I'll be spending my time at SDC and that new Mack

I know of course they won't. The 400 Riders per hour is going to make for a miserable line.

Park President Jeffery Seibert confirmed in a Q&A session to Texas Thrillseekers that it'll be

A three train operation with continuous moving trains in the station for loading and unloading.

They'll make it work.

He also stated they are wanting to have the coaster in operation by Spring Break 2018.

Sucks that SFStL will probably get screwed over yet again.

Park President Jeffery Seibert confirmed in a Q&A session to Texas Thrillseekers that it'll be

A three train operation with continuous moving trains in the station for loading and unloading.

They'll make it work.

He also stated they are wanting to have the coaster in operation by Spring Break 2018.

The capacity is horrible regardless of 3 trains as blocking will limit this regardless of the continuous moving train. An absolute amazing dispatch time would be 1 min and in reality it will be 1 min 30(360/hr capacity) b/c that's what most coasters tun at. 1 min dispatch puts capacity at 480/hr. The fact is this was not meant for a big a park and SF didn't care. The lines for this will be a nightmare with the very poor capacity.

They'll make it work.

Okay, well three trains will help, but it's still 3 trains that combined add up to 1 normal train. And count me skeptical that Six Flags gets any new ride running by Spring Break.

Does anyone know the numbers on Dare Devil's capacity? Will Wonder Woman be better or worse? How is the capacity compared to JL or your average flat? Theoretically I think Wonder Woman would do OK in a smaller park like SFFT or SFSTL, but I think it would be a big mistake in a park as large as SFGam or SFMM.

I wonder if SFcorp will be the first to end up biting the bullet on a T-Rex for a larger park (not ours) if everything goes well with the Raptor in a smaller park.

We were at the park today. Fairly light crowd, said RIP to Highland Fling, and witnessed these guys having a bad day on Pandemonium. Not sure what caused this to valley, we only came upon the aftermath.

IMAG0066.thumb.jpg.7600723f46941fc3540cb0942f80a25b.jpg

And the rescue effort

IMAG0068.thumb.jpg.01c50f312069bf888ed8179678df9e65.jpg

IMAG0070.thumb.jpg.03c4d97e1e6e2a2507bf8544ce5b0568.jpg

Maybe a park employee knows what happened.

A nice surprise is that it seems they have been working on cleaning up the various roofs you can see from some of the ride lines. And I noticed today that many planting areas that in previous years were basically empty were nicely filled in with flowers! As someone who gardens a lot, the flowers look really nice this year (I hadn't really been in the main part of the park since very early in the summer).

Other than Pandemonium, reduced capacity in the afternoon on JLBM, and Thunder River having no water in it everything else seemed to be running well today

Wow, that seems really early. We still have about 2 more weeks of 100 degree weather in MO.
Thunder River closed for the season yesterday.

it does seem really early and the open hours are reduced again to 6 pm close on weekdays -

this goes a long way to show that the park relies very heavily on local traffic for income - school starts this week and next for most of the STL area.

hence the unlikelihood of any sort of major roller coaster ever being erected.

my two cents

Kevin

They'll make it work.

The capacity is horrible regardless of 3 trains as blocking will limit this regardless of the continuous moving train. An absolute amazing dispatch time would be 1 min and in reality it will be 1 min 30(360/hr capacity) b/c that's what most coasters tun at. 1 min dispatch puts capacity at 480/hr. The fact is this was not meant for a big a park and SF didn't care. The lines for this will be a nightmare with the very poor capacity.

According to numbers supposedly from RMC three trains should be 800pph. If accurate that is fine. Not great, but in the ballpark of what American Thunder can do.

As for Pandemonium, there was a power outage in parts of the park Sunday. Ideally that wouldn't cause a valley but maybe that is it?

I'm really shocked Thunder River is done for the season. It appeared to have a full crew on the dock during the power outage and the water was trickling down as if the pumps had just gone down. It was open for much of Fright Fest last year.