TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

Dear Good People of Theme Park Review,

Yes, proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation are important here. But please leave the moderating to the moderators, and stick to the topic at hand, which is Six Flags St. Louis.

It seems that I've been cleaning nonsense out of a lot of threads lately.

cfc

I guess the experience is pretty different. Excaliber rotates slow, spins fast, and goes upside down. The Discovery rotates fast, spins slow, and does not go upside down. Both are extreme for two different reasons. I don't think I could handle Excaliber anymore, so I would welcome a Discovery. They're as fun to watch as they are to ride.

If we're playing 'Wish list for Santa - Flat Style,' I want my S&S Screaming Swing. Unfortunately, that will never happen. Do any SF parks have one?

But I'm just not sure if the GP would be able to tell the difference between the two. I have a feeling that if SFStL were to ever get a Discovery, it would replace Excalibur.

Apologies for the double post. I just saw a Screamscape rumor that if SFStL were to get a water coaster, it would replace the speed slides. I was hoping that if this were to happen it would be to add to the water park, not subtract. I don't know the condition of the speed slides, but they don't seem like they are in bad condition.

icon_STOP2018 - Thunder Rapids Water Coaster - (7/27/17) According to the latest rumors making the rounds, Six Flags St. Louis may actually remove the park's current "speed slides" to make way for the rumored new water coaster slide. We'll know soon enough, Six Flags will announce all the new additions on August 31st.

Copied from screamscape...

Apologies for the double post. I just saw a Screamscape rumor that if SFStL were to get a water coaster, it would replace the speed slides. I was hoping that if this were to happen it would be to add to the water park, not subtract. I don't know the condition of the speed slides, but they don't seem like they are in bad condition.

Also do you know where screamscape gets those rumors, I hope this is it happening.

Whoever his source is there appears to be some evidence behind it.

Not sure if the body slides are leaving or not, but it would appear that something or part of something is going near it.

Okay but one that's a old photo.... and tweet.. that's probably the construction of the tornado, and that company called it six flags over mid America, which is accurate as tornado was built when it was mid America not st. Louis, but it was tweeted yesterday, maybe it's the same company building what ever is going on hurricane harbor and just posted a picture of the tornado they have built in the past.. I honesty honestly don't know, just trying break down the evidence. I'm going search what that company actually builds or does, or maybe just drills, I'm going to do some researching.

Well having been to the water park a few times this year I can tell you that the speed slides have been closed a lot, or open late, or only 2 of the 3 are open or some combination of those. I was thinking staffing issues. But a couple weeks ago my son and his friend rode the 2 that were open and they both had red, scratched up backs from the slides and decided once was enough. When 14 yr olds decide it's rough, then it's probably becoming a somewhat unpleasant experience. I haven't been on those slides in a few years (no mom pushing 50 needs the atomic wedgie said slides produce) but I don't remember them being that rough. So, I wonder if they are in a situation where the slides need to be completely overhauled and they are just choosing to replace. Bonzai pipeline is a similar type thrill slide so they would be more or less covered. And.........I have to say water coasters are great fun!

Whoever his source is there appears to be some evidence behind it.

Not sure if the body slides are leaving or not, but it would appear that something or part of something is going near it.

Okay but one that's a old photo.... and tweet.. that's probably the construction of the tornado, and that company called it six flags over mid America, which is accurate as tornado was built when it was mid America not st. Louis, but it was tweeted yesterday, maybe it's the same company building what ever is going on hurricane harbor and just posted a picture of the tornado they have built in the past.. I honesty honestly don't know, just trying break down the evidence. I'm going search what that company actually builds or does, or maybe just drills, I'm going to do some researching.

That is definitely a recent picture of tornado, you can see the fade in color. I'm sure many local people still go by the Mid America moniker which was dropped a few years before Hurricane Harbor was built. (1999) Tornado was built in 2005.

I gotta say this is what I was predicting actually for the park. I think the water coaster is the next clone for Six Flags and the is excellent because there aren't enough water coasters out there.

By the way, who else enjoys Big Kahuna? When we used to go there all the time we'd team up with the biggest guys you could find and push it right up to the weight limit, makes in instantly the best ride in the water park. (There was one time I actually was staring nearly straight up at someone.)

That is definitely a recent picture of tornado, you can see the fade in color. I'm sure many local people still go by the Mid America moniker which was dropped a few years before Hurricane Harbor was built. (1999) Tornado was built in 2005.

I gotta say this is what I was predicting actually for the park. I think the water coaster is the next clone for Six Flags and the is excellent because there aren't enough water coasters out there.

By the way, who else enjoys Big Kahuna? When we used to go there all the time we'd team up with the biggest guys you could find and push it right up to the weight limit, makes in instantly the best ride in the water park. (There was one time I actually was staring nearly straight up at someone.)

Actually your 100% correct, that is a recent photo, I dont know what I was thinking, I have not seen the tornado in a long time, and was thinking thinking that cage around it was construction, when actually that's part of the ride and frame.

Ok I could not find much on geotechnology inc, other then a drill and do construction, and they do deal with water pipes, drills and towers.. and they are in HH... and between speed slides and tornado, as speed slides rumored to be removed. I did do some land searching.

I had pictures but don't know how to post them..

There's plenty of space to me to work with, a lot of cleared land behind tornado and speed slides to the right, and cleared space touching parking lot, and a huge open spot behind kaulana, but focusing on the land that's behind tornado and next to it is a lot to build a water coaster, only thing is they have enough space why would they remove the speed slides? I don't think space is an issue, but I guess new water coaster be placed in speed slides spot and continue behind tornado in the open cleared land back there, and that this geotechnology was drilling between tornado and speed slides. I contacted geotechnology and they responded... what they said pretty much confirmed a new attraction in HH. I will find away to post a screen shot of that convo, so it's not fake news.

I'm really excited about this. There aren't enough water coasters in the world - or at least the country - and they're super fun rides. Any water park with a water coaster has an automatic advantage to me over those without one. Knowing that my home park will be getting one is pretty fantastic news and good reason for me to prefer SFStL's HH to most of water parks nationwide.

That is, if it does turn out to be a water coaster. I have always expected that a new water ride would eventually occupy that plot someday. It makes you wonder how much of that land they'll use.

Last year was a huge surprise when a Thunder Rapids was announced (and even more pleasant when Universal announced that Volcano Bay would be opening with one). I suppose if this one turns out to be a clone we could be seeing this be the next ride to get copy-pasted between the parks.

I suppose if this one turns out to be a clone we could be seeing this be the next ride to get copy-pasted between the parks.

SF in the investor presentation made it pretty obvious they are going to clone water coasters. They spoke of them in the same way they talked about JL's and 4D's. They were grouped in their slide presentation as the chains marquee rides. They emphasized the relative low cost, high ROI, patron interest, based on Thunder Rapids success. There will likely be at least 2 water coasters in 2018 IMO. They way they spoke of them I could see this going into rapid clone production with 2 per year for 2 to 3 years, just like JL's, 4D's, Skyscreamers.

That is not completely out of the question, but HIGHLY unlikely. It is half way thru 2017 and most parks are already putting plans together for 2019, it would be almost impossible to get something here this short notice to replace Fling... but weirder things have happened

well SFSL is acquiring a nice selection of theme park related sculptures and elements

boomerang and highland fling --- the first of many....

thunder river is looking pretty shabby lately also. whats up with the waterfall element? are they going to rebuild it? or it that lost to the ages also?

the boats are looking very worn as well, so much sun fade.

Kevin

^ I'm pretty sure the water fall is permanently discontinued. Which is why they painted the mural on the wall behind it before the beginning of last season.

They had it working earlier this year. But there was a few hours downtime a few weeks back, for the entire ride, and now it is completely gone. Somewhat safe to assume pieces started falling of.

I do agree the ride needs TLC. They have already fixed the water cannons.

Perhaps they've done a bit of work on the waterfall then. The 'cut' wasn't straight before. Really did look like it had torn away.

Whatever is up maybe a replacement can actually get the boat wet more often. That thing has almost never been as effective as waterfalls on other ready rides I've ridden.