TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

Ok, so when I received the news today, it didn't seem right to me, so I did some digging the past few hours, and was told the wrong ride. Actually, the ride I was told originally, I thought it was an original, but I was off by a year, but luckily its not this ride. The ride on the chopping block is not an original, but it is older... I would love to say more, but must wait until its 100% official, as of now, its 95% official, it would take a miracle to save it at this point. This was an unexpected event and not part of future plans... the question is, how to fill the area... hmmmmm, "round and round we go"... or at least we did

Could it be Shazam?

It would suck to lose highland fling. I like the Schwarzkopf enterprises better than the Huss ones. I get it, but it makes me a little sad to see it will probably go, especially so soon after Rush Street Flyer.

All aboard the Catwoman Whip train, it would seem.

A Zamperla Endeavor would be a fantastic replacement for Highland Fling. The one here at SFOT is extremely popular with guests. Having ridden the old Spinnaker (Huss Enterprise) as well as the new Catwoman Whip I can tell you it's fantastic upgrade to an old classic.

We don't need more flat rides please, we already have a good bigger version of the fling, that one flat ride forgot the name, we need a coaster... please.

Its actually quite the opposite. The park could use at least two new flats. Without the removal of any as a replacement.

I'm thinking the carousel might be on the block - after all its very close to disintegration right now..... shame

kevin

The cosmetic appearance of a piece of machinery is never a good indicator of the mechanical and or structural condition of said machinery. Carousel is an excellent example. It looks like crap but is mechanically and structually sound. Plus carousels are mechanically very simple and parts could be made at a reasonable cost at a local machine shop.

Don't get me wrong I would not like to see the carousel go anywhere - I am lamenting the fact that in last two years I have see NO cosmetic work done on it at all not even to the simplicity of a good wash job to get the crud off of it ( dust, spiderwebs, bird nests). All rides are an investment and I feel like you should maintain them all. Just because it is functional and safe doesn't mean it should be neglected visually. If you don't want to take the time and or money to refinish the 50+ year old handcarved ride elements maybe trash them all and replace them with easy to maintain fiberglass ones. Just hose them off at the end of the season. I just hate to see a classic ride like the carousel is such a poor state.

Look at the hideous condition of the main Stage in the Old Glory Amphitheater - looks like its ready to collapse. need new roofing siding and paint. Its a psychological thing, you may not notice it directly but it subliminally sticks in your head. I think it brings down the overall feel of the park.

Kevin

Ok, so when I received the news today, it didn't seem right to me, so I did some digging the past few hours, and was told the wrong ride. Actually, the ride I was told originally, I thought it was an original, but I was off by a year, but luckily its not this ride. The ride on the chopping block is not an original, but it is older... I would love to say more, but must wait until its 100% official, as of now, its 95% official, it would take a miracle to save it at this point. This was an unexpected event and not part of future plans... the question is, how to fill the area... hmmmmm, "round and round we go"... or at least we did

Considering one year after the parks grand opening would implying 1972, and the Carousel and Shazam! were both installed that year, and that the ride itself is older than the park, in going to wager that it'll be the carousel.

Highland Fling was built in 1977 and that's great information to me. I love me some Highland Fling. Plus aren't the remaining Schwarzkopf Enterprises (the better ones over the old Huss Enterprises) dying out?

Could it be Shazam?

Could be the carousel. Although I don't know when it came to the park.

Both were installed in 1972. Based upon the hints from parkjunkie the ride in question was built after 1972. Also based on the wording of the post it sounds like the ride is currently inoperable. According to the app Shazam and Carousel are both still running. Now on the other hand, Highland Fling was built in 1977 and currently not operating and hasn't ran in a while.

Read his post one more time. I believe you may have misinterpreted it.

Based on company wide removals, I'd say the Fling is going if anything. And that really is a shame. Great America lost theirs last year.

That's weird about the Carousel... those are the heart of any theme park, though Kings Islands could use some love.

Anyway, I hope you guys get something nice and new for next year.

Based on company wide removals, I'd say the Fling is going if anything. And that really is a shame. Great America lost theirs last year.

That's weird about the Carousel... those are the heart of any theme park, though Kings Islands could use some love.

Anyway, I hope you guys get something nice and new for next year.

Didn't we get components from the Great America ride though?

We don't need more flat rides please, we already have a good bigger version of the fling, that one flat ride forgot the name, we need a coaster... please.

Its actually quite the opposite. The park could use at least two new flats. Without the removal of any as a replacement.

Well I don't think so, since we been getting flat/thrill rides for past 4 years, yeah maybe we could use some more, but I think we need a coaster first. But I rather wait for a coaster of its going to be a original or better coaster, but again we should be happy with any kind of coaster that we get...

It looks as if some have noticed the purposeful incorrect info I have given... I was trying to throw people off and get some hype going, but everyone for the most part caught on quick, so lets just spill the beans. Highland Fling, installed in 77, (purposely put the wrong year in for confusion), is currently on the the chopping block. It looks as if it has suffered yet another major mechanical downfall with a part no longer made. This happened a couple years back and the part had to be specially made. This time, the part in question is much more difficult to replicate and the fabricators won't warranty it, so it seems that the easiest thing to do is scrap it. Again, this had nothing to do with future plans and was unexpected. But this will open up that back corner for a nice new addition in the future.

Really hope they spend the money to fix Highland Fling- not very excited about the possible replacement. I love the freedom of an Enterprise, and I don't really see how a Endeavor is marketable when it's replacing what is almost the same ride?

I'm assuming if Fling goes this season that the park will just leave the lot empty for the year, as I'm sure next years new ride will go elsewhere.