TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

SF Corporate doesn't look at having the "best" or "worst"... like many are saying, its all about ROI, and also attendance... and in attendance they look at season pass holders vs 1 day tickets, and ride placement. When building a ride, a factor not many think about is OVERALL cost. A coaster costing $5 Mil may cost a tad over that at a park that has open room with easy access, where as the same coaster at another park may over cost over $6 Mil due to land contour, special equipment, temporary or full demo of rides and buildings, and so on and so on. As far as season pass holders to 1 day ticket sales, this is a HUGE factor. If the primary attendance coming in to a park is season pass holders and those numbers continue to go up year after year after small investments, they will continue investing small KNOWING the GP will continue to come back regardless. If a park is more 1 day ticket sales driven (tourists) and they depend on that more than season passes, they will invest more to continue to make the trip worth while, people wont come from as far for little investments. SF Corporate looks at SFSTL, LaRonde, and other such parks as more of a satellite location than a primary location... kind of like "here's a little taste" of each of our parks all thrown in to one.

Exactly. AND as I've pointed out before, even a family like ours that has an "enthusiast" in it is still going to go to their hometown park more than others. We usually hit HW once a year, maybe SDC, we went to SFMM this year. He made a trip to DW this year. Last year we made stops at CP and SFGAdv......BUT my son will still go to SFSTl 15-20 times; because we live HERE and his friends are HERE and school trips are HERE. So, parks like HW and SDC are not either/or propositions. We didn't reduce the number of days we attended SFSTl nor did it affect us purchasing season passes and much of the GP wouldn't spend the time or money to go to another park UNLESS they are already there on vacation.

SF Corporate doesn't look at having the "best" or "worst"... like many are saying, its all about ROI, and also attendance... and in attendance they look at season pass holders vs 1 day tickets, and ride placement. When building a ride, a factor not many think about is OVERALL cost. A coaster costing $5 Mil may cost a tad over that at a park that has open room with easy access, where as the same coaster at another park may over cost over $6 Mil due to land contour, special equipment, temporary or full demo of rides and buildings, and so on and so on. As far as season pass holders to 1 day ticket sales, this is a HUGE factor. If the primary attendance coming in to a park is season pass holders and those numbers continue to go up year after year after small investments, they will continue investing small KNOWING the GP will continue to come back regardless. If a park is more 1 day ticket sales driven (tourists) and they depend on that more than season passes, they will invest more to continue to make the trip worth while, people wont come from as far for little investments. SF Corporate looks at SFSTL, LaRonde, and other such parks as more of a satellite location than a primary location... kind of like "here's a little taste" of each of our parks all thrown in to one.

I agree with this totally however don't you think it wouldn't hurt to put in a big new attraction every once in a while to help increase season pass and one day ticket sales? Sure the numbers would probably go up for a season or two and then drop back to where they have been prior to said addition but IMO SFStL needs to keep up with its competition, even if it may not have any direct consequences right away.

You hear more about what Holiday World and SDC have done than you do SFStL. Isn't it time for SFStL to do something that would draw more attention to the park?

I agree with this totally however don't you think it wouldn't hurt to put in a big new attraction every once in a while to help increase season pass and one day ticket sales? Sure the numbers would probably go up for a season or two and then drop back to where they have been prior to said addition but IMO SFStL needs to keep up with its competition, even if it may not have any direct consequences right away.

You hear more about what Holiday World and SDC have done than you do SFStL. Isn't it time for SFStL to do something that would draw more attention to the park?

MAYBE for 2021 on the 50th anniversary. They would get lots of local press for that. GP aren't reading TPR or Screamscape.

Anniversaries are only important to enthusiasts. They will not bring in a large addition just for the 50th anniversary. They will bring in banners praising the occasion. That's it.

As if this heat isn't miserable to start a Saturday, was just informed of some bad news, looks like SFSTL will be unexpectedly losing a classic original ride forever..... more details to come

There are only a handful or original rides left looking at the ride list from 1971, which are the Mine Train, flumes, antique cars and the rail road.

As if this heat isn't miserable to start a Saturday, was just informed of some bad news, looks like SFSTL will be unexpectedly losing a classic original ride forever..... more details to come

There are only a handful or original rides left looking at the ride list from 1971, which are the Mine Train, flumes, antique cars and the rail road.

Out of the options, I hope it's the antique cars.

I'm going to be WAY butt hurt if it's the flumes. I immediately started thinking that Log Flume is close to DC Comic Square, or whatever it's called. Seems like a free spin would fit nicely in that plot of land, or perhaps a couple of flats. They could spice up the rather bland area between the flume and JB's and blend the whole project right into the DC area.

I could see this as happening, but I wouldn't be thrilled about it. I hope it's not the case, since the flumes were just repainted.

Ok, so when I received the news today, it didn't seem right to me, so I did some digging the past few hours, and was told the wrong ride. Actually, the ride I was told originally, I thought it was an original, but I was off by a year, but luckily its not this ride. The ride on the chopping block is not an original, but it is older... I would love to say more, but must wait until its 100% official, as of now, its 95% official, it would take a miracle to save it at this point. This was an unexpected event and not part of future plans... the question is, how to fill the area... hmmmmm, "round and round we go"... or at least we did