TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

The $22+ Million investment with Mack's new coaster in Silver Dollar City will suck all the St Louis market away! You've got a way better park in each direction 3+ hours away from St Louis: Silver Dollar City, Worlds of Fun KC and Holiday World

Six Flags is 35 minutes from downtown St. Louis and has a cheaper price point than any of those parks (especially since the majority of Six Flags guests have an absurdly cheap season pass or membership). You could easily make a case that their thrill rides are better than Worlds of Fun and Holiday World (this one depends on preference but is mostly an irrelevant point anyway) and unlike Silver Dollar City they have a water park included with admission. A Mack spinning coaster or whatever SDC is building isn't going to suck the market away from Six Flags. The park is 4 hours away, most people wouldn't consider that a day trip which means it comes with the additional cost of a hotel room.

Silver Dollar City is 4 hours away, Worlds of Fun is 3 hours and 45 minutes away, Holiday World is 3 hours away.

None of those parks are competing with Six Flags St. Louis for the St. Louis market. They have the market cornered and they know it.

1: It's not just a "Mack Spinny Coaster". It's a significant and biggest investment in SDC history. I promise they aren't gonna throw a Cobra Curse V2 in that plot of land....especially with the amount of footers visible to the eye. Yes, a world class coaster like a Helix V2 would draw people away.

2: Depending on where you live in the STL Metro area, it's 3+ hours; like I said.

3: They most certainly ARE competing with the STL market. Hence advertising in the STL area....advertising that is NOT SFStL. Many of my friends and family have/will visit the other 3 parks mentioned before SFStL. SFStL is and has become very stale. There isn't anything grabbing people to return; that's just a fact. Local(ish) parks are running laps around them and making real investments.

Ironically I just meet a family who was from St. Louis yesterday at my park. Silver Dollar City is like a once or twice a year vacation for them. That's what Branson is, a tourist destination, not a spend every day or weekend there. They have passes to Six Flags and go there way more often. Your saying that every weekend families go down to Branson or Kansas City instead of staying in St. Louis? I highly doubt that. I did the St. Louis Branson trip in a day (I left late even), it isn't fun to do in one day. (Note that the drive from Eureka to SDC is already 3.5 hours, and you are pushing it calling Eureka a STL suburb.)

Last I've known that Six Flags St. Louis is one of the most profitable parks in the chain. Oh, and it is the only park actually still owned by Six Flags, so they must be doing something right. SDC's new coaster will not suck any market share from St. Louis, it will just want to make people return. I think your username is most appropriate.

Point is I hate it when people dish on this park. What did it do to you? I agree the only thing it needs is that headline attraction but even then, it has arguably one of the best wooden coaster collections in North America, a layout that doesn't make you walk in a circle, lots of shade, more then a few unique rides, oh, and plenty of room for expansion despite being one of the top 5 largest Six Flags by land area. I guess people hate that this park is doing everything right. Thanks coasterbill for sticking up for this park.

All of the above is true enough, BUT

if you are a family and can only choose one place for a family vacation ( whole family multiple nights) you would more than likely choose somewhere other than SFSL.

Even living close I would not choose STL and SF over Branson and SDC. SFSL is a nice local amusement/water park not much more.

you can tell when you visit. My guess is 90+% are locals out for a few hours to kill an afternoon.

There is a difference between a THEME park and an Amusement park. SFSL lost its "THEME" park status IMO a while ago now.

its more like visiting a Mall now

I don't consider corporate branding a "theme" myself.. so don't throw WB Properties naming rights out as theming. all the batman and bugs bunny stuff are more mascots than a theme. Sure the rides may have specific theming, but the park not so much.

SDC now that's a theme - they own it and it shows.

Kevin

if you are a family and can only choose one place for a family vacation ( whole family multiple nights) you would more than likely choose somewhere other than SFSL.

Six Flags isn't marketing to people who are planning a family vacation and looking for a theme park to visit where they're going to spend multiple nights at a hotel. Six Flags is marketing to people who live near St. Louis and are looking for something fun to do on a random Saturday.

SFSL is a nice local amusement/water park not much more.

Great because that's exactly what they want to be. I fail to see your point.

All of the above is true enough, BUT

Even living close I would not choose STL and SF over Branson and SDC. SFSL is a nice local amusement/water park not much more.

you can tell when you visit. My guess is 90+% are locals out for a few hours to kill an afternoon.

There is a difference between a THEME park and an Amusement park. SFSL lost its "THEME" park status IMO a while ago now.

its more like visiting a Mall now

I don't consider corporate branding a "theme" myself.. so don't throw WB Properties naming rights out as theming. all the batman and bugs bunny stuff are more mascots than a theme. Sure the rides may have specific theming, but the park not so much.

SDC now that's a theme - they own it and it shows.

Kevin

I absolutely agree with that, that's why I made the point that Branson is a vacation destination. Billie was trying make the point that SDC will steal the day trippers to Six Flags. It will not, it will just give families another reason to return to SDC for their vacation.

Now the amusement park versus theme park, I like that discussion. While SDC is a theme park, I think SFSTL is somewhere in between. They have some well defined themed areas while areas like Illinois have started to go. (Not to mention the removal of the six flags at the front of the park???) Personally I would like to see the park take an effort and re-theme rides back into their areas. Oh, and re-name the park back to Over Mid-America. A guy can dream right? Either way, it's a solid park.

Six Flags STL is not trying to be the thrill capital of the world. Yes they brand themselves as the Coaster Capital of Missouri, but they use that title to attract more people. They are a family oriented park and that is why they do not invest in major coasters. Familys spend more time and money at a park then thrill seekers. Yes big coasters will attract more guest but they don't want to attract teenagers or gang members, they want to attract family's. The park is making major improvements this season with lots of upgrades and changes. The new park President Pete and new marketing director Katy are making the necessary changes to boost attendance and profit. this is one of the most profitable parks in the chan because it is the only park left that Six Flags 100% owns and operates so they don't owe anyone anything and they make the money they invest in the park back pretty quickly. Why would corporate change major things in the park if it is still making a lot of money. A Coaster would not hurt the park but it wouldn't necessarily help either besides making the enthusiast stop whining.

Six Flags STL is not trying to be the thrill capital of the world. Yes they brand themselves as the Coaster Capital of Missouri, but they use that title to attract more people. They are a family oriented park and that is why they do not invest in major coasters. Familys spend more time and money at a park then thrill seekers. Yes big coasters will attract more guest but they don't want to attract teenagers or gang members, they want to attract family's. The park is making major improvements this season with lots of upgrades and changes. The new park President Pete and new marketing director Katy are making the necessary changes to boost attendance and profit. this is one of the most profitable parks in the chan because it is the only park left that Six Flags 100% owns and operates so they don't owe anyone anything and they make the money they invest in the park back pretty quickly. Why would corporate change major things in the park if it is still making a lot of money. A Coaster would not hurt the park but it wouldn't necessarily help either besides making the enthusiast stop whining.

I've probably typed four or five responses at this point trying articulate my views on this subject. I am always amused by how SFSL is such a polarizing park, possibly the most polarizing in the country in the eyes of the enthusiast community. It isn't fair to say that SFSL has gotten stale when...besides really beefing up their flat collection...the park has been making huge investments in events like HIP and the upcoming Mardi Gras Festival.

These events, in addition to FF, give pass holders a reason to come back multiple times during the season with something else great to see and do each visit. I can't wait for everyone to see the Mardi Gras Festival, as it is sure to spice up the park this summer. (In case you didn't catch it, I used the phrase "spice up" in that last sentence, because one thing coming with the Mardi Gras Festival is Cajun food, which is notorious for its use of spices. I mean, like, it wasn't a fantastic joke, but I was still pretty proud of it.)

When it comes to "day trips" visiting other parks, starting in 2013, I get into HW, WoF, and SDC for free. The only one I've visited is HW a couple times. No matter how great a new ride is, it's over in two or three minutes. Then what? Well, SFSL answers that question with their events. They bind the experience together. I have immense respect for the Entertainment department, as they are able to create such amazing products with what they are given. Every year, I see things get better and better, even stuff that I thought was awesome already.

SFSL isn't for everyone, but that's okay. The park still excels at helping Guests make memories while providing thrills for all seasons.

One final note: The park recently had another successful annual fundraiser for St. Louis Children's Hospital. I've worked a lot with the hospital's staff...including those who help plan the SFSL event...so it is very near and dear to my heart. SFSL is so important, as that event is the largest fundraiser the hospital has all year, yet the park doesn't spend time publicizing its philanthropy or patting itself on the back. Besides brightening the lives of the park's Guests, SFSL has an effect on brightening the lives of hundreds of children who visit SLCH for care.

EDIT: Oh! And shout out to the guy out there who came and talked to me one morning while I was picking up cones in the JLBM area. It was nice to meet you, and I encourage you to leave your "lurker" status behind and join the conversation!

I'll agree with Bill and ALT2870 on this one. I am not friends with coaster enthusiasts. I've never been to an enthusiast event or ERT or anything of the like. When I suggest going 3 hours or more to any regular ass people that aren't enthusiasts just to ride roller coasters, they would just rather drive the 30 minutes to SFSTL. The people at Six Flags are locals for the most part, just like any other park. Holiday World has started advertising here quite a bit, and yeah, I know new customers from here do go. I seriously doubt any new coaster at any of these parks would have much impact on the bottom line at SFSTL.

Most of the people that were going to go to Six Flags are going to go regardless of the additions these other parks make.

I've probably typed four or five responses at this point trying articulate my views on this subject. I am always amused by how SFSL is such a polarizing park, possibly the most polarizing in the country in the eyes of the enthusiast community. It isn't fair to say that SFSL has gotten stale when...besides really beefing up their flat collection...the park has been making huge investments in events like HIP and the upcoming Mardi Gras Festival.

Good post.

As far as the park being polarizing, I think the park is polarizing because as enthusiasts there are certain unfortunate realities to the business end of theme parks that people refuse to accept. For parks with intense competition or in large markets it makes business sense to make large investments in major new attractions. For parks with no real competition in smaller, saturated markets like this one they would be insane to dump a ton of money into new attractions when they could keep their numbers relatively steady by doing basically nothing. They already own the St. Louis market and they don't have any competition to speak of. If they were concerned about Silver Dollar City or Worlds of Fun then they wouldn't have added a Disk-O. As enthusiasts we would love for them to add a hypercoaster or an RMC, but there's no reason to build a ride that could take years to pay for itself in a moderately sized market that they've already cornered when they could make way more money by just doing nothing.

Six Flags St. Louis isn't alone in this philosophy. Fans of parks like Michigan's Adventure, La Ronde, Great Escape and Worlds of Fun are also sitting around with the same frustrations but the fact is it makes much more sense for those parks to make small, cheap additions and let them print money for them since they have no competition anyway than spend money on big new coasters. It's unfortunate as enthusiasts, but it's just reality.

Their additions right now aren't based on growing their market, they just want to increase spending from their existing base by converting their day guests to season passholders and members which they can then sell other annual perks to like drink plans and dining plans. If you pay attention to their conference calls, they feel that the most cost efficient way to do that is to add events like Mardi Gras and Holiday in the Park because their data shows that more months of benefits (their term for operating dates) and more unique events equals a higher rates of pass sales and passholder retention. Those are the types of things they're focusing on at this park and that's the reason why. They did make a pretty major investment in Justice League, but they very likely justified it because they knew Holiday in the Park was on the way and they needed a popular indoor attraction to help make it a viable option in this climate. I'm sure that wasn't the sole reason they added it, but I'm also sure it was a factor.

Six Flags isn't marketing to people who are planning a family vacation and looking for a theme park to visit where they're going to spend multiple nights at a hotel. Six Flags is marketing to people who live near St. Louis and are looking for something fun to do on a random Saturday.

SFSL is a nice local amusement/water park not much more.

Great because that's exactly what they want to be. I fail to see your point.

my point really wasn't to disagree with you, just stating my view on how I see the park and speculate on what family might consider for their big family vacations each year.

if you are having a "staycation" six flags is as good as anywhere to spend it...

kevin

My son is totally in the enthusiast category. We are stopping in LA on the way to Hawaii just so he can go to MM and get to coaster #100. That being said he complains like all the other enthusiasts about the lack of the "hyper" or equivalent. However, he attended SFSTL 12-15 time last year. HW once, SDC once, CP and SFGAdv once (he got lucky on those two because they were on the way to and from a family vacation) Why? Well Mom and Dad are happy to aid his coaster enthusiasm BUT we live here and cannot take road trips multiple times each year. And his friends live here and are mostly only able to attend SFSL. Lots of families cannot or will not go to the number of parks we did go to. I also happen to teach in a local district that is in a very low socioeconomic area. Those kids are lucky if they get to go to SFSL once a year and the thought of traveling to another park, just for the park, is not even in their perception.

The park will always have it's local base for simple logistical and economic reasons.

I meet a lot of people at SDC who are from Kansas City or St. Louis and have season passes to Worlds of Fun or Six Flags respectively, but then are spending their vacation at SDC. It doesn't have to be an either/or proposition--and we're not talking enthusiasts here. These are normal people who bathe regularly. SDC doesn't need to compete against the other two Missouri parks. Season passes are targeted to the Springfield, Joplin, and Branson markets, and beyond that, they market their arrive after 3, next day free evergreen promotion. They don't need or want everyone in St. Louis to come to Branson instead of Six Flags to be successful. And Six Flags isn't worried about a mass exodus of St. Louisans to Branson for their theme park entertainment.

Let's put it this way: if SFStL does enough over the last few years to change prozach's opinion of the place, you know they're doing something right.

Truth. And I used to criticize this park too, but in the last couple of years they've made major improvements to the overall experience, so that even though there hasn't been a new coaster in a while, the park is still more fun to me than it used to be. I've had SDC season tickets for years, but Six Flags still draws me away for a weekend trip. So chew on that a bit.

All valid points. I didn't mean to piss people off.

I didn't mean to assume everyone in here, either, has my view. I live 20 mins from SFStL and my wife and I will go to SFStL for the HIP festivities because it's visually cool and fun to do. However, she (not being an enthusiast in any way) prefers to go other places that make new, yearly/bi-yearly BIG/REAL additions than to go to SFStL because it's close. That is being done without any of my influences.

I've been a frequent follower and don't post as many people do in here and would like to expand on the fact that I'm well aware of ProZach and his view/past view of the park and some of the backlash he got for that. I'd also like to reinforce that I firmly believe HWFan is one of (if not) THE best posters/members of this forum. I'd like to personally apologize to him and reiterate that my negative view/posts on SFStL is not directed at him or his passion for the park. I regularly hop in here to see what he has to say...and 100% of the time enjoy the small tidbits of information he shares. That's really cool! My point is that it's so hard to get excited to return to my home park year in and out when they (SF Corp) won't bless the park with a HUGE GLARING ISSUE: wow factor coaster. I feel they really missed the boat not RMC'ing the Boss.

Anyway....I'm really sorry if I ruffled the feathers and I truly did NOT mean to offend anyone. I will say this, aside from looking in this thread and hearing about rumbles of something that SFStL MIGHT do for next year - I'll avoid discussion and will follow the creation of something that really peaks my/our interest in the SDC thread. I cannot wait to see what this Mack Coaster turns out to be. Again, I'm very sorry and probably my frustration (with the lack of a star attraction for several years being installed to SFStL and the inevitable Spinny 4D knock off clone for Corp to "throw a steel bone" at the park coming) got the best of me when I feel/see the excitement of high-end investments in other close-to-home parks (SDC, HW, WoF rumblings, Kings Island, hell - even SF Chicago) and chose to go to places that have newer, thrilling, fun capital investments at. I'll stop there.

Everyone have a beer and smile. Sorry to piss everyone off Cheers, y'all.

Just want to throw this in,

I may have stated in an post last year that I wanted to see a hyper, but since then, I moved on. I live 15 minutes away from SFSTL and I love that park for 3 reasons. 1. I grew up with it. Going to SFSTL almost every month that it was open was the best part of my childhood. 2. SFSTL doesn't feel like it has competition. 3. I like the collection of rides as is. I honestly don't care if this park gets a gigantic, Relocated B&M. Now it may feel like it's just a park that has nothing but clones, but keep in mind that some of the clones started in SFSTL (or at least got the first generation of clones ex. SkyScreamer, JLBFM) SFSTL has one of the best wooden coasters collection that I've ever seen (and I've been to parks with a lot of wooden coasters) and I love this year's addition, Spinsanity. A Disk'O was one of the few rides I secretly hoped SFSTL would get ever since I ridden Electro Spin at SDC.

And it's not just the park I love, I also love this thread about this park. It has some of the best posters (shoutout to HWfan) and it keeps me up to date about almost everything.

I'm also interested in the history of SFSTL. I'm even considering starting a website that's similar to Great Adventure History, except about SFSTL.

Thanks for reading. I'm excited to check out Mardi Gras this summer!

TrippinBillie, I don't think people were necessarily pissed off and don't vacate the forum because you think you offended someone. We are all still allowed our opinions in this country. I wasn't angry, I was simply responding to your opinion that SFSL would lose business due to the new SDC coaster with my opinion that it would not and why I thought so. Discourse is great! It forces you to think and be able to support reasons for your opinions, that's good for your brain, lol.

And for what it's worth my son and I have had this discussion and he's only 14 but I enjoy seeing him work out why he thinks as he does. Trust me even though he goes to SFSL at least monthly, he gets seriously aggravated about the lack of the big coaster. Although he does really appreciate the woodie collection. For God's sake the kid has a spreadsheet with his coaster count, I wish he was that organized in school.

Damn. This thread has been hella-active, which is good. I'll gladly take controversy and good discussion over dead air. I haven't had time to read all of these posts yet, since I have to go have a gym douche and hockey session, but I did want to make some comments before the conversation becomes irrelevant.

Hate to be a downer.....but it better be QUICK! The $22+ Million investment with Mack's new coaster in Silver Dollar City will suck all the St Louis market away! You've got a way better park in each direction 3+ hours away from St Louis: Silver Dollar City, Worlds of Fun KC and Holiday World.

You forgot KI and KK... Yet, the park continues to care less. Corporate continues to care less. But most importantly of all, the local market continues to care less. Local. Market. Most people don't care about going to other parks. Our park will not whither away and die. It will likely remain at the same level, at worst. We're not the only SF park that is being killed by the local "competition." Yet, they all continue to generate revenue and remain afloat. I don't know one single person who will give a shit about SDC'S new roller coaster. I don't know one single person who gave a shit about KI'S past three new coasters. I know very few people who gave a shit about Thunderbird. Yet, the people who gave a shit and chose to visit HW didn't just up and 'dump' SFSTL, because they don't choose parks like they choose sports teams.

I hear your argument loud and clear. I'm familiar with the argument, because I lost that same argument year after year. Ask anyone in this thread... I agree we're starving for a new major attraction. It probably won't happen until it absolutely needs to happen. As much as I would LOVE for it to happen, I'm not convinced that time is now. Based on what other parks have received, I would place all of your best hopes and wishes in something as significant as a S&S Free Spin, but I wouldn't aim any higher than that. Count your blessings if you're that lucky.

In the meantime, continue to enjoy what we have, or do what I did. Take a break. Travel elsewhere. You're going to exhaust yourself.

You've got a way better park in each direction 3+ hours away from St Louis: Silver Dollar City, Worlds of Fun KC and Holiday World.

WoF is "way better" than SFStL?

dubious.

Sorry, but out of my many visits to works of fun, with my most recent visit being last year, I personally find Worlds of Fun to be a fucking snooze fest. It's a great looking park, but for me it stops there. I'll give it to you that KC is a really neat city, but that doesn't do anything for park vs park comparison. Next time we visit KC we probably won't even stop by the park. From my personal opinion, their hyper and their inverted coasters are beautiful teases. They remind me of a great looking sorority girl I once... knew.... You would have thought they would have been better just by looking at them...

2: Depending on where you live in the STL Metro area, it's 3+ hours; like I said.

Okay, that's still not a day trip for most people. Also, this applies generally to people west of downtown St. Louis which would make them even closer to Six Flags St. Louis. In many cases they would have to pass the park to get to Silver Dollar City and then keep driving for 3 1/2 more hours.

That, and people who go to SDC are typically people who visit SDC as part of their compiled trip to Branson. (uhg...)

I don't know that your comparison is a good one. The cost associated with one day's visit to STL as opposed to taking something along the lines of a short vacation to SDC should be vastly different. I feel like that's like saying what would you rather choose? A day at the local water park, or a beach vacation to Florida?

Let's put it this way: if SFStL does enough over the last few years to change prozach's opinion of the place, you know they're doing something right.

LMFAO. You took my next argument. A lot of it has to do with our changes of how we enjoy parks. Josh also played a big part of really reaching out and letting us experience what the park has to offer. We have had our last two visits to the park going in and expecting exactly what the park has to offer. This isn't our place to marathon coasters, which we really don't do anymore, anyway. However, this park has enough to offer to allow us to relax and have a great time. The changes to the overall atmosphere that started many years ago are what I used to b**** the most about, as opposed to large scale coaster additions. Ironically, these changes have actually been what has made the park much more enjoyable and right in line with our current (slightly) matured formula for having a good time at a park. It's more about enjoying the sights and sounds, while drinking a few cold beers and frequently hopping on some fun rides. I think we were at the park for four hours on our last visit, where we drank two beers and maybe rode five or six rides. It was a very enjoyable evening and the park delivered. ( delayed TR soon, I promise)

As promised: A short TR.

(As per usual, I don't give enough shits to fix typos and I apologize for the camera phone pictures. Enjoy!)

We were planning on going to the park on the evening of Saturday, 05/20/2017. The weather was shit in the early morning and afternoon, but eventually the rain cleared. I checked some coaster queue websites and realized that there were virtually no waits in the park. As a result, we left our house mid afternoon and took the 50 minute trek to the Eureka area. What was special about this trip? It was our first regular season/warm weather visit in about four or five years. We stopped off at a local Mexican restaurant, although I can't remember the name, the food was pretty good. The beer was also icy cold and served in a 32 oz tall glass, and that bad boy went down smooth!

I think it was after four when we finally got to the park. I dreaded waiting in some long season pass processing line, but instead they scanned our prints right at the gate and that was that! We didn't really ride much. Emily had never been on a Star Flyer, so I was eager to make it our first stop. She looked at the flimsy chains and said "That's all that's holding us??" Yep!! The ride was a lot of fun. I forgot that they don't just go to the top and stay there. Star Flyers actually go up and down a couple times. I really prefer these to Windseekers, although we do like taking at least one spin on a Windseeker per CF visit.

After that we loaded into the Eagle train. I was pretty stoked, since it had been forever since we had ridden Screaming Eagle. Just as the operator pressed the dispatch button, the ride went down. Bummer. Sounds like a good excuse for a beer! We stopped at JB'S and grabbed a cold one. The area of the patio is a great place for people watching, taking in the scenes, and hearing Mr. Freeze roar. I really like that set-up.

Since we were right across the way, we waited about 20 minutes for Justice League. I found it to be much better than SFGam's JL, because the screens seemed more bright. I enjoyed our ride and it's probably good for one ride each visit, provided the wait times are decent. I'm not sure if I like JL or Scooby better. I did like the boats on Scooby.

When we wrapped up JL, we walked right onto a log at the Log Flume. This flume is a standard flume. Maybe it's nothing to write home about, but I've never been on a flume I didn't enjoy. This was no exception, although I did get unusually wet. It wasn't a deal breaker.

After that, we hit American Thunder. This ride does not blow my socks off, but it always gives a great ride. It may be my favorite GCI. It also looks really great in the area. When we were done with American Thunder, we walked over to Batman. Emily isn't much of an inverted fan, as she doesn't like not being able to see the ride. The solution: Front Row. It didn't disappoint, and it never does. This is probably still my favorite ride in the park, before Mr. Freeze was removed. Er... I mean, altered.

After that, we grabbed our last beer at the Chicken Restaurant near Mine Train, because it also has a nice patio which provides a good view of Fireball and it's really shaded. Like bums, we slowly drank our beers, talked, and do what we always do in parks, which is relax and have a good time. My intentions were to grab that ride on Screaming Eagle and one on Mr. Freeze, before calling it a night. Mother nature, however, had different plans. I guess it started to thunder in the area, as almost all rides were shut down about an hour before the park was set to close. We decided we'd had enough fun and we called it a night.

No, I don't think I could have a King's Island kind of day where we visit the park in the morning, ride all day, leave for a short beer/dinner break, and come back and ride all night. BUT, I think us having our season passes and using the park for half day visits at a time is going to continue to be as enjoyable as it was during our visit. I suppose the only exception will be if we bum around in the water park during the day, mostly doing our boring 'lay in the sun and read our books routine,' and head to the dry park for a couple rides and couple beers at night. Either way, I'm glad I've found joy in this park, again. It's cool to be able to look at coaster queue sites and see that the lines are minimal, and decide to make a trip based on that.

Allow me to STFU and post my pictures:

This was at the really good Mexican restaurant an exit or two east of the SF exit, on 44. It was a small step up from your typical assembly line Mex place, but enough to taste the difference. Note the ice in this huge frozen glass of Dos Equis!

I had to pee when we got to the park and I was lucky enough to have this hanging above my urinal. Shaaaaame!

Our first summer (kind of) beer at JB'S, enjoying the sights and sounds.

I mean.. Typical beer gardens are OK... but this is much better.

Especially with views like this, right??

Shall we ride Justice League, or curse it's existence?

Who am I kidding? I curse too much, anyway.

My blaster certainly wasn't cursed, as I got the top score on the train! (no, I don't always let the girl win)

Early rain storms are a blessing. Where is everyone??

The large pond and the chlorine smell next to the great looking American Thunder makes for a nice atmosphere. I also forgot to comment about the flower beds across from Log Flume, which looked nice.

This area looked much nicer than I remembered.

Seriously, we're one batwing/tunnel combination away from being in Afterburn heaven. I've said it 10 times before and I'll say it again: If this ride had not been cloned so many times it would be so much more well received. For example, if SFGam had the ONLY one, or us for that matter. I also never took time to appreciate the nice view of the entry plaza before the first drop. It's interesting the different things you come to appreciate as you mature into a hobby.

We saw this guy testing and we decided that we will take a ride on it. It looked fun and it's much more imposing in person.

But before we do all that shit, let's grab another beer and take a terrible picture of ourselves! Seriously though, this is also a very nice patio to sit at.

Star Flyers > Wind Seekers (except when the sun goes down, because of the lighting package)

We ALMOST decided to go for a ride, but we were in fear that it was going to ruin our really great evening. Probably another time. On another note, look around? The tables and umbrellas, the bright colors, the landscaping? This park really has become much more pleasant since my last warm season visit.

Which pretty much wraps it up. After that, the only thing that happened is some very helpful game attendant helped me lose $15 of my hard earned money throwing attempting to throw whiffle balls into plastic bins. Apparently I'm better at throwing plastic balls into shitters to win two small stuffed dolls worth of poop. (teaser for my SFGam TR!) Oh well. Special thanks to the friendly game attendant for the tossing tips and sympathy, but I suck at everything but ice hockey. Our dog 'Greg' had to go without a price this time. Pro tip - stick to the ducks game.

I think we'll be back for a few hours, not this coming Saturday, but the next. Should crowds be manageable after 4?

Josh, let me know if you're working and we'll meet up for a bit.

Emily had to tell me that she enjoyed the TR, but I forgot our ride on the Mine Train, which we took after our Chicken Shack Patio beers. It was also walk-on and there were only two other people in the train for our back seat ride. Seeing as it was so dead, I asked the ride op if he could take our pictures and he got all stern and told us no. haha. Oh well. I guess policy is policy.

Also, feel free to comment on how awesome my Subaru shirt is. I won it in a Facebook.com WRX/STI 'post your photo' contest. Everyone else was posting these super clean/spruced up pictures of their STI'S and I chose to post a picture of my 70 year old Father-In-Law driving my STI!

I had some business out in the Eureka area, so I decided to make a 1/2 day of it and visit the park.

well just got back from the park and I must say it was an awesome day - weather was exceptional, very light crowds. Since I will complain about food lines when bad I must say the food lines today were quite under control. I ate at "fowl ball" about 1 pm and it was a walk up no line situation. very nice. In fact most of the food stands, I saw had very minimal waits. I prefer to think its a sign that things have turned the corner, but it may just have been a lucky day. I caught the two new Miss Kitty's shows. Not bad productions, its still early in the season so a few headset microphone errors are easily forgiven. The content was standard and the crowd seemed to enjoy it. Both shows seemed a bit shorter to me than usual... not even 20 min (or barely).

I did see one thing that either gives me hope or fills me with loss - That is that the copper clad park clock that was directly in front of the St Louis train station IS MISSING. my hope is that it is being repaired/refinished OR if it is gone forever I feel loss - I really liked that clock. It was working last season so I hope it is just getting some TLC and will be back soon. if anyone knows, I would appreciate any info on it....

great day at the park....

Kevin

Just caught up on the thread. Lots of activity!

Great trip report. Funny fact for myself- I've never done Justice League. For whatever reason, I just have zero interest in non-haunted dark rides. Line usually being super long doesn't help.

Since you brought up Eagle (sucks it was closed that day), that gives me a chance to discuss something I've been meaning to for a couple weeks....

I recently had the chance (3 weeks ago) to ride the Swamp Fox coaster in Myrtle Beach while on vacation week before Memorial Day. As soon as we got home, we went to Six Flags STL and I took my first ride of the season on Screamin' Eagle to compare it while the SF ride was fresh in my mind.

Swamp Fox was built in 1966, designed by John Allen and PTC. It's got a smaller footprint than Eagle and is a figure 8 versus gigantic out and back, but a lot of the characteristics are similar. It's located in Family Kingdom at Myrtle Beach, SC, a boardwalk amusement park that's really nice for families. Swamp Fox is the marquee attraction, but there are several other fun rides including a Zamperla Wild Mouse and some good flats. In the early 90's the park and coaster were damaged pretty heavily by a hurricane but were rebuilt soon after back to original specs.

The park maintains it very well and it's similar in color scheme to the Eagle. The lift hill goes into the same style of corner that Eagle does before its first drop, except instead of having a nice view of the park nestled into the hills of Missouri you get an amazing view of the Atlantic Ocean and boardwalk.

The old girl was a fun ride! Rode in front and back and both had good pops of airtime. It was relatively smooth as well given the age, although Eagle is definitely a smoother experience.

Riding them back to back in relative close proximity was interesting to me as you can clearly see that in Screamin' Eagle, Allen and PTC took what they knew and dialed it up to 11.

Pics are below. I love the Screamin' Eagle so much and it was cool to check out one of its direct predecessors! For my money, when at Six Flags St. Louis, nothing compares to the Eagle when the weather is cool and the trees are starting to get their fall colors.

IMG_9413.thumb.JPG.b8500345ccd72b451f7c5f4801ee83d2.JPG

IMG_9411.thumb.JPG.9ed58becba0d4d8b968546ae4cd157c4.JPG

IMG_9417.thumb.JPG.b725a07e142009983add120b260a2391.JPG

IMG_9423.thumb.JPG.a97823bb8e62b7eb56021a729c801f44.JPG

IMG_9424.thumb.JPG.34361ea0f579fdf1f0613b49f308852b.JPG