TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

Yeah, while I wasn't planning on going this weekend I was interested to know what they'd do with the miserable weather scheduled for this weekend. Not only is going to be super cold but its supposed to snow in many parts of the area.

I have holiday company that plan on visiting with me next Friday (the 23rd) so hopefully it's at least a somewhat manageable temp.

Is there a minimum temperature required for them to open? Sunday's high is only supposed to be around 15 degrees. I can't imagine riding anything in those conditions.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they close the park in anticipation of the fact that they'll probably lose money by opening that day. If they open I don't really expect any coasters to run, they push the limits to the max but 15 degrees is pretty extreme.

You won't be at all surprised then.

The park will be closed on Sunday. As of now park will be open tomorrow

Aaaand now it's closed today.

Obviously the park would have really liked to be open today, as it's rough to be closed for a whole weekend. Today wasn't supposed to be too bad, but now the expected temp at 2:00 is 32, and the expected temp at 9:00 is 21 with snow. Besides the temperature, having to keep the entire park, parking lots, and surrounding roads from getting icy will be hard.

When I was in school, I remember how much joy I got from getting a recorded call from the principle saying that school was closed for snow. Now that I'm an adult, it's the complete opposite.

Obviously the park would have really liked to be open today, as it's rough to be closed for a whole weekend. Today wasn't supposed to be too bad, but now the expected temp at 2:00 is 32, and the expected temp at 9:00 is 21 with snow. Besides the temperature, having to keep the entire park, parking lots, and surrounding roads from getting icy will be hard.

When I was in school, I remember how much joy I got from getting a recorded call from the principle saying that school was closed for snow. Now that I'm an adult, it's the complete opposite.

Yeah I get it. If the temperature was going to be 40 is the forecast said then keeping paths clear and Ice free which shouldn't be that difficult but it's below freezing already.

I was going to go today too.

I know this will sound disparaging and that is not my intent, but is holiday in the park even financially viable? -

I know silver dollar city does it and many other parks, in far more northern area's as well, but are the St Louis crowds going to file out with temps this low? While snow early in the season has not even been a problem for the last few years, this years cold has had to have a negative effect on attendance. I know some income is better than no income, but cold weather takes its toll on equipment as well. Are the crowds there at all?

I confess I am not a christmas person so it would take a lot more than lights and a few shows to get me out there in this cold.

how has attendance been? is it worth it if you work there? I am just curious.

Kevin

I know this will sound disparaging and that is not my intent, but is holiday in the park even financially viable? -

I know silver dollar city does it and many other parks, in far more northern area's as well, but are the St Louis crowds going to file out with temps this low? While snow early in the season has not even been a problem for the last few years, this years cold has had to have a negative effect on attendance. I know some income is better than no income, but cold weather takes its toll on equipment as well. Are the crowds there at all?

I confess I am not a christmas person so it would take a lot more than lights and a few shows to get me out there in this cold.

how has attendance been? is it worth it if you work there? I am just curious.

Kevin

I do not think you can answer that question until after the season. If the park continues with the event in 2017 then it probably made money in 2016.

Edited by larrygator

I went opening weekend and the place was packed. I was in the area during the second weekend of HITP and while not inside, it looked pretty well attended from the parking lot. I'd be interested to know what the employees say about it.

The weather is looking much better for the scheduled operation time next weekend (currently forecasted for upper 40's and sunny) and I know a good number of people that plan on checking it out with family/friends in town for Christmas. Hopefully it allows the park to finish strong as this is a cool event and I hope it's annual! If we had an additional steel coaster that could operate in the cold it would sure help it in the future

As for if it has been a success financially I have no idea, on the finance people will know that. All I know is they must be making a fortune on merchandise. I have never seen so many people buying stuff at the park. Attendance numbers seem to be decent. More than anticipated some days, less on others. The crowds didn't seem too worried about the temps last weekend, but the rain on Sunday did keep the park a bit quiet, but not much different than a rain day in June or July. As for working the event, it has been incredibly fun. It seems like a lot of the employees are enjoying it as they still get a paycheck in December, and after working there you get to become great friends with your coworkers so its nice not leaving them after FF ends.

As for if it has been a success financially I have no idea, on the finance people will know that. All I know is they must be making a fortune on merchandise. I have never seen so many people buying stuff at the park. Attendance numbers seem to be decent. More than anticipated some days, less on others. The crowds didn't seem too worried about the temps last weekend, but the rain on Sunday did keep the park a bit quiet, but not much different than a rain day in June or July. As for working the event, it has been incredibly fun. It seems like a lot of the employees are enjoying it as they still get a paycheck in December, and after working there you get to become great friends with your coworkers so its nice not leaving them after FF ends.

good to know - I do know about friends made working there as I was a team member back in the long gone days. I also know it can be boring and miserable when it is slow - and if you add the cold --- BBRRRR not much if any of that construction was designed for year round use.

I wish the event success because it all contributes to increases in the bottom line and that means bigger new attractions over time..

Kevin

I would go either Tuesday or Thursday as the weather is nicer than on Monday, Wednesday, or Friday, and you wont have the Weekend crowds. Probably leaning more towards Thursday though as its a bit warmer. But remember that there will be fireworks on the 31st at 9:05pm.

You'd never guess the AT side wasn't a planned area now. Red, white and blue trees and garland up on the AT side and white garland I don't remember being around Justice League.

Also. Were those always square-shaped street lights?

Edited by Danrarbc

Leaving the park now. Had an awesome time and got to hang out with HWfan. I'll eat crow on this, but it looks like we'll be six flags season pass holders again next year to get a couple visits in at Great America and STL. TR to follow.

Did I see management giving someone in Great America gear a tour?

There were a couple members of upper management from SFGAm & SFNE visiting the park tonight. Prozach & I got to meet them with Pete at the end of the night. However, this is something that has been very typical, especially during HIP. Visiting other parks and exchanging ideas is a great way for all of the Six Flags parks to benefit from each other.

And I completely agree with your previous post regarding the American Thunder midway. I was really, really impressed with even more lights & decorations added this week. It's great to see the park not doing things because they have to but because they want to. (A big shoutout especially to the Entertainment team with this event.)

Leaving the park now. Had an awesome time and got to hang out with HWfan. I'll eat crow on this, but it looks like we'll be six flags season pass holders again next year to get a couple visits in at Great America and STL. TR to follow.

It was definitely a fun night, and while I don't want to spoil anything before his TR, I will say that I really look forward to his *updated* sentiments regarding Mr. Freeze. I had the great opportunity to ride American Thunder after clocking out at 8:00, and I gotta say, the view from the top of AT's lift is really incredible. It might be the best vantage point to see the lights period.

An important thing to keep in mind is that HIP isn't really a time of year where you need to focus on when the best days to visit are. The park has been handling the crowds extremely well with a big part of that being our operations team (oh, and #ThanksPete). I would tell anyone to just visit on the day that works best with your schedule and has decent weather. Food lines haven't even been an issue. To be completely honest, I was extremely worried about how the event would go, and especially after getting Prozach's feedback, I can confidently say the park has a real winner on its hands.

I posted earlier from the park on my phone about the kids being annoying with the hand warmers. I didn't mean to be a downer....but the "babysitting" aspect is really a true thing. We, on Thursday night, experienced a lot of line jumping and the entitled teen mentality which really sucks when you're trying to enjoy everything.

That said, WOW. WHAT A GREAT EXPERIENCE! I hope this becomes something that is an every year type of thing. I would love to incorporate this event into our family tradition at Christmas time. The atmosphere, the lights, the theming, the carolers (VERY TALENTED!!!) and of course, THE RIDES. Only bummer is the single train operations on everything. Waits were REALLY bad for a Thursday night. But, I guess that's to be expected. I'd think it wouldn't kill to add 2 trains on AT, Batman and Freeze. Oh well. I would also like to point out that many of the ride ops were having a great time and genuinely looked happy. I will get a season pass for THIS only moving forward. It was night and day better than summer operation and scenery/theming. Wife, brother and sister all had a blast.

It's great to hear that the park has been so busy! If that's the case I would expect them to add more trains for next year's event when possible / necessary.

Six Flags does an awesome job with these Holiday events and it's great to hear that it's generating large crowds and positive guest feedback.

It's great to hear that the park has been so busy! If that's the case I would expect them to add more trains for next year's event when possible / necessary.

Six Flags does an awesome job with these Holiday events and it's great to hear that it's generating large crowds and positive guest feedback.

I don't want to rehash the "argument" that broiled a dozen or so pages back, but I wanted to reiterate that single-train operation isn't because the park doesn't want to run two trains. It has to do with the maintenance schedule for the coasters. With my (and other posters') first thought being, "why don't they just focus on the trains for the closed rides, like Boss & Eagle, first," TNT gave a really stellar explanation of why the park does it the way it does. However, to address the previous post, I didn't see too many bad waits on Thursday, granted I only had the chance to ride one coaster, but that conflicts with reports from other people saying that the lines were very minimal. I think, as always, it sometimes just comes down to dumb luck in terms of lines at rides. That aside, it's always crummy to hear about line jumpers, but hopefully it's not too widespread. I know that the park's management takes a very strong stance against line jumping and actively tries to discourage & stop it.

Again, I'm just happy to hear about how much everyone is enjoying the event...now if only Prozach can get his TR done sometime before March.