TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

I'm sorry. Are you saying we should be falling all over ourselves because the park is FINALLY (much emphasis on finally) doing basic upkeep in the park? Um, no. Basic upkeep is required in any business and should not require fanfare.

This is my first visit to the park this year (today) and so far the most glaring issue is ops. Front gate, Food, Rides. I get that working at Six Flags is not a glorious job. I've worked here myself in the past. But it's obvious that supervisors have let their underlings slide for too long this summer. There were 2 workers at Mooseburger who did absolutely nothing the hour it took me to finally order and get my food. A larger guy was supposed to be filling orders but moved so slowly that the line after ordering was constantly backing up and Mir (who I took to be the lead) would have to come off register and do his job.

Oh and if you are getting your 2017 mug. You can only get them at the stand near Collossal Closeout (or whatever it's called now).

Question on growth. Some pages back the sale of land was mentioned and I obviously missed this when it happened. The clearly had a lot they were not likely to ever use but what position does this put the future of the park in? It is already small by modern standards, but Cedar Point is able to do amazing things in limited space but that does come at a cost.

No I get it. The park has been in such a bad state of disrepair for so long that you are celebrating the little things and that is comendable. However to expect the same enthusiasm out of people who are well traveled is laughable.

I shouldn't have to go to the park and turn a blind eye on the neglect and remind myself that this is a process and they painted a little over here this year so I should just ignore this.

Maybe if the park had amazing ops people could overlook the neglect but the park doesn't even have that.

Question on growth. Some pages back the sale of land was mentioned and I obviously missed this when it happened. The clearly had a lot they were not likely to ever use but what position does this put the future of the park in? It is already small by modern standards, but Cedar Point is able to do amazing things in limited space but that does come at a cost.

Well, I wouldn't say Cedar Point is exactly limited in space, as they have around 500 acres....

No I get it. The park has been in such a bad state of disrepair for so long that you are celebrating the little things and that is comendable. However to expect the same enthusiasm out of people who are well traveled is laughable.

I shouldn't have to go to the park and turn a blind eye on the neglect and remind myself that this is a process and they painted a little over here this year so I should just ignore this.

Maybe if the park had amazing ops people could overlook the neglect but the park doesn't even have that.

TNT actually is an amazing op. I've had the privilege to see him work, and it is incredible.

TNT actually is an amazing op. I've had the privilege to see him work, and it is incredible.

If he was working today then I must have missed him.

I grew up with this park...literally...I was two when the park opened and probably four when I first visited.

They've changed a lot over the years, some for the better, but mostly for the worst.

If you're gonna destroy what we loved in our youths, don't add some crappy carnival rides. Actually add something of value....like.....a coaster? No that sounds crazy...

Jesus, I get to watch a formerly "meh" park like Kings Island add awesome coaster after coaster, and we get.....what...a freaking DIsk-o?

Six Flags is a garbage chain who only cares about the half a dozen parks that lie within huge population areas. The rest of their parks get carnival rides, and cross their fingers that the hillbillies in those areas are happy with that crap. And sure enough, St Louis draws enough hillbillies that a county fair transplant like Fireball brings all the boys to the yard.

BLEECHHH.

Places like St Louis get screwed . Let's give New Jersey, Chicago and L.A. a new humongus coaster every other year, but St Louis gets jack squat for almost a decade.

Our park has turned into hot garbage, in much the same way the WB DC Comics movies are all steaming hot piles of sh*t........

I have noticed the Food disService workers are not much better at Kings Island that they are at SFSTL, but are pretty good at CP. Why is that I wonder? Could it be all the hungry foreigners they bring in that are thrilled to have the oportunity for a great job, that most Americans consider a crap job? Some other reason?

St. Louis is a depressed city. I don't know what some of you guys expect from anything within the immediate area. If something doesn't revolve around Cardinals baseball (which I hate), it's going to be mediocre at best. Things are not looking up for the city and very few people make decent money. The park will always be a reflection of the city it's in.

I mean to say this without bragging what so ever, but my wife is a licensed social worker and most of you guys know what I do. These have never been considered high paying careers, yet we have the most disposable income out of almost everyone we know our age. Consider that our social pool consists of people who are mostly well educated. There is something wrong with that. There are few good jobs in this region and the fact that the service jobs are paying above what most other career opportunities offer is an issue.

No one has money in this area. As a result, the park will continue to market discount admission and add discount attractions, because that's the market we seem to be in.

This is my opinion at least. You can throw whatever numbers you want at it, but I'm well traveled for my age, at least within the country, and this city is concerning. My advice is to travel or move. I legitimately believe the park is doing the best it can with what it has to work with. Bitching about it is pointless. Enjoy the park for what it has to offer or just don't go. Adjust your expectations with reality.

I'm sorry. Are you saying we should be falling all over ourselves because the park is FINALLY (much emphasis on finally) doing basic upkeep in the park? Um, no. Basic upkeep is required in any business and should not require fanfare.

This is my first visit to the park this year (today) and so far the most glaring issue is ops. Front gate, Food, Rides. I get that working at Six Flags is not a glorious job. I've worked here myself in the past. But it's obvious that supervisors have let their underlings slide for too long this summer. There were 2 workers at Mooseburger who did absolutely nothing the hour it took me to finally order and get my food. A larger guy was supposed to be filling orders but moved so slowly that the line after ordering was constantly backing up and Mir (who I took to be the lead) would have to come off register and do his job.

Oh and if you are getting your 2017 mug. You can only get them at the stand near Collossal Closeout (or whatever it's called now).

I was at the park Saturday night. Food service is simply unacceptable. I brought some friends who have recently moved to St. Louis from Australia. They heard about the flash sale and bought season and dining passes. With only 6 to 8 people in front of us at Primos Pizzeria it took over an hour to get food. Three people working there and nothing really happening. I was tempted to go behind the counter and help them out. But that would have probably just gotten me into trouble. I felt sorry for them because I really don't think they knew how to handle the situation and there was no one in management there to guide them. Anyway, When we finally got our food and got to the register, the soda machine stopped working so no one could get any drinks. I quickly tried to run to a snack stand, of which very few were open, but saw painfully long lines at every one. Needless to say, I had my meal with nothing to drink, even though I have the dining pass myself with free drinks. The thought crossed my mind to by a bottle of soda and have guest relations reimburse me for it, but after working so hard just to get a meal, I had no fight left in me.

What really bothered me is that all the games areas were fully staffed, and no one was playing any games. I saw tons of people in custodial positions just standing holding their brooms and talking. They could have moved people from those areas to help out in the restaurants. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to put a piece of pizza on a plate or fill a drink bottle. What's going to happen when the Fright Fest crowds show up in a few weeks? Or at Holiday in the park? If they are short staffed, then someone is not doing their job recruiting. If they are short staffed, then supervisors and managers should have their butts out there helping out.

This was my friends' first visit to Six Flags. They even expressed some feeling of regretting to buy the passes. I was completely embarrassed by my home park. I spent the evening trying to make excuses. Just really sad. If the park doesn't do a major overhaul of its training and operations, then the park is doomed. I can see corporate cutting their losses and just walking away like they did with other parks,

Is this a fair summation of the concern. While SF is trying to fix all the deferred maintenance over the past decade the pace appears to be very slow. So slow in fact that it may not be even quick enough to keep up with deterioration.

Sort of like playing Whack-a-Mole?

So, a desparately needed upgrade to the park's power system is not quick enough to keep up?? If they had not done that, would you have been silent when they had to close several rides so that nothing would short out and start fires or shower guests with sparks? I think they are doing what they need to get the park on track for better improvements.

And yes, maintenance is needed to keep daily operations running. Or do you just wait until your car dies before adding gas, oil, or replacing tires?

I grew up with this park...literally...I was two when the park opened and probably four when I first visited.

They've changed a lot over the years, some for the better, but mostly for the worst.

If you're gonna destroy what we loved in our youths, don't add some crappy carnival rides. Actually add something of value....like.....a coaster? No that sounds crazy...

Jesus, I get to watch a formerly "meh" park like Kings Island add awesome coaster after coaster, and we get.....what...a freaking DIsk-o?

Six Flags is a garbage chain who only cares about the half a dozen parks that lie within huge population areas. The rest of their parks get carnival rides, and cross their fingers that the hillbillies in those areas are happy with that crap. And sure enough, St Louis draws enough hillbillies that a county fair transplant like Fireball brings all the boys to the yard.

BLEECHHH.

Places like St Louis get screwed . Let's give New Jersey, Chicago and L.A. a new humongus coaster every other year, but St Louis gets jack squat for almost a decade.

Our park has turned into hot garbage, in much the same way the WB DC Comics movies are all steaming hot piles of sh*t........

A public forum is not the best place to have a tempertanturm. Between that and your obsession with hillbillies I strongly recommend therapy. I have already explained acouple pages back the thought process on how things are being ran. If you didn't read it or didn't understand it, I can't help you. Unplug the computer and walk away.

I apologize for my venting. I don't think I said anything terribly controversial, but on the other hand, I do understand the reasons SFSTL doesn't have the same treatment from the parent company that, say, Great America does.

But I'm an old-timer, and my home park has been a source of frustration since the 80s.

OK. It's out of my system. Time to start planning my 2017 park road trips...

Hi all,

I am a long time lurker in this forum, as well as a long time Six Flags St. Louis visitor. I had to send this to park management today after my terrible experience yesterday.

I'm not sure where to begin other than saying yesterday was my worst experience at Six Flags St. Louis, or any theme park for that matter, and I've been going to SFSTL for 25 years. I also has a season pass from 1998-2014 and got sick last year and was able to go and have been planning my wedding this year, but couldn't pass up on the flash sale.

To start I knew it was a busy day when we were coming in, but I've waited at much longer lines at the toll booth than what I did yesterday. We get in and I ask if we need to have our passes processed for the dining pass we bought online and they said yes to to season pass processing by thunder river. So my group heads over that way. The start of the line has another employee and we ask the same question stating we bought the dining passes online showed our paperwork and she said yes we did need to go inside to get pass processed. After waiting an hour and 25 minutes we are told we did not need to wait and the dining passes were already on the passes. This was incredibly upsetting as we all waited for no reason at all.

Next we went to get our sport bottles and waited 40 minutes to get a sport bottle there were about 30-40 people ahead of us in this line. While some of our group waited in this line I hopped over to the hot dog line hoping to save some time. There were 24 people ahead of me, to get through 24 people it took an hour and half An hour and half to give hot dogs and fries to 24 people. This is incredibly sad. I have worked in Food service before and I have never seen anything so incompetent.

My brother was able to leave the soda line, 20 minutes after I got into the hot dog, go to colonnades and get his burger before I got my hot dog. Another thing about the hot dog, I got a chili cheese dog, the picture shows shredded cheese but it came with messy cheese slop. Plus no onions available.

We then waited for our friends who went to mooseburger, because they wanted veggie burgers.

Afterwords we rode rptentidal wave and then went into the water park. Fairly good experience here.

Leaving the water park, my friends went to drop towels and wet clothes of in the car. And I went with my brother and his girlfriend to the go fresh cafe. Well we get there and it was closed. Absolutely ridiculous on a holiday weekend. I waited there for my friends as my brother and his girlfriend went to mooseburger. Over the 25 minutes I sat there, there were so many people who walked by upset that the go fresh cafe was closed as well. We walk over to mooseburger to meet up with my brother and his gf and he has barely moved in line. It was another over 90 minute wait.

All in all this was just awful if i did not have a season pass and a dining pass I would never go to six flags again. It was that bad of an experience. This from someone who had a season pass for 17 seasons straight. I can't imagine if this was someone's first visit to our park or had not visited in a few years.

Also you need to implement a much better system for refills on sport bottles. I'd recommend freestyle machines with barcode scanners that allow though with unlimited refills to use them. Or just having free drinks like holiday world if the logistics of that can not be worked affordably. "

Wow, This is what happens when I don't read the forum for 3 days???

SFSTL will do what it does ... most locals probably think it is fine.

I disagree about no Money in STL. There is plenty of opportunity in this town, especially in the Medical field. Lots of money in South and West STL Burbs.

Everyone should be grateful we have plenty of parks around us to visit, all within a day's road trip. I have been doing it for years. We used to have season passes but stopped about 10 years ago. I would consider getting them again but I will need to see big improvements to the park ...these have been discussed ad nauseam so I will not list them.

Ok just got caught up on the last few pages of the thread and at the risk of sounding like a lecturing mom/teacher let me add just a few points:

Let's try to keep some perspective, we are talking about a place we choose to go in our leisure hours. No one is twisting your arm. If you don't think it is worth the money, don't go.

I too grew up living within 20 min of the park since it has opened. As a kid I never thought about any other parks or what was wrong or right with SF, it simply was a place to have fun. Now, my son is 13, a member of ACE, and avid coaster freak (as are many of the posters on this board). Because of him I have learned a lot more about the industry as a whole, have traveled to several other parks, and know way more about the various coaster designers than I ever thought was possible. I get the desire for the giga coaster. I remember vividly the hype and pride and astonishment when Eagle opened as the current (at that time) world record holder. I get what some other parks have that we don't having been to so many now. I get and agree that food service needs some work. I personally think part of the problem is the restrictive meal times, but that's another issue.

BUT........the vast majority of local visitors aren't avid coaster freaks, don't travel to other parks, and wouldn't know the difference between coaster companies or have any idea what a B&M hyper is. They might enjoy that fancy new coaster but they won't come to the park any more or less if it's there or not. Doesn't mean they are necessarily uneducated goobers, some probably are through no fault of their own, but many just don't have amusement parks that high on their priority list. To them any new ride or improvement is great. Management has to appeal to all it's customers, not just the coster "experts" and watch the bottom line.

Back to perspective......I live in a well off suburb near the park. Most of my son's friends have season passes and many have experienced other parks. However, I teach in a much different neighborhood in the area. A neighborhood that is very low on the socio-economic scale. Many of my 7th grade students have NEVER been to SFSTL, much less any other park, despite the fact that they are only about 35 min away. They do not have season passes, many come from some very dire home situations, and often don't know if their will be dinner available at their homes each evening. The 8th graders go every year at the end of the year as a send off to high school and they literally start paying the school a few dollars a week beginning in Feb so they can try to have enough for the ONE visit they make in their whole childhood. What do you think they would think about all this bitching and moaning? To them the park some of you have painted as a complete hell hole is a wonderful fantasyland.

Certainly, everyone has the right to state areas where they see improvement needed, I do too on those post visit surveys, and I would be just as happy as all of you to get a big new coaster; but let's not go overboard on the lamentations. An amusement park that needs to catch up to others is certainly not the Earth crashing into the Sun.

Sorry, that's my chance to rant. Now back to the discussion.

Hi all,

I am a long time lurker in this forum, as well as a long time Six Flags St. Louis visitor. I had to send this to park management today after my terrible experience yesterday.

I'm not sure where to begin other than saying yesterday was my worst experience at Six Flags St. Louis, or any theme park for that matter, and I've been going to SFSTL for 25 years. I also has a season pass from 1998-2014 and got sick last year and was able to go and have been planning my wedding this year, but couldn't pass up on the flash sale.

To start I knew it was a busy day when we were coming in, but I've waited at much longer lines at the toll booth than what I did yesterday. We get in and I ask if we need to have our passes processed for the dining pass we bought online and they said yes to to season pass processing by thunder river. So my group heads over that way. The start of the line has another employee and we ask the same question stating we bought the dining passes online showed our paperwork and she said yes we did need to go inside to get pass processed. After waiting an hour and 25 minutes we are told we did not need to wait and the dining passes were already on the passes. This was incredibly upsetting as we all waited for no reason at all.

Next we went to get our sport bottles and waited 40 minutes to get a sport bottle there were about 30-40 people ahead of us in this line. While some of our group waited in this line I hopped over to the hot dog line hoping to save some time. There were 24 people ahead of me, to get through 24 people it took an hour and half An hour and half to give hot dogs and fries to 24 people. This is incredibly sad. I have worked in Food service before and I have never seen anything so incompetent.

My brother was able to leave the soda line, 20 minutes after I got into the hot dog, go to colonnades and get his burger before I got my hot dog. Another thing about the hot dog, I got a chili cheese dog, the picture shows shredded cheese but it came with messy cheese slop. Plus no onions available.

We then waited for our friends who went to mooseburger, because they wanted veggie burgers.

Afterwords we rode rptentidal wave and then went into the water park. Fairly good experience here.

Leaving the water park, my friends went to drop towels and wet clothes of in the car. And I went with my brother and his girlfriend to the go fresh cafe. Well we get there and it was closed. Absolutely ridiculous on a holiday weekend. I waited there for my friends as my brother and his girlfriend went to mooseburger. Over the 25 minutes I sat there, there were so many people who walked by upset that the go fresh cafe was closed as well. We walk over to mooseburger to meet up with my brother and his gf and he has barely moved in line. It was another over 90 minute wait.

All in all this was just awful if i did not have a season pass and a dining pass I would never go to six flags again. It was that bad of an experience. This from someone who had a season pass for 17 seasons straight. I can't imagine if this was someone's first visit to our park or had not visited in a few years.

Also you need to implement a much better system for refills on sport bottles. I'd recommend freestyle machines with barcode scanners that allow though with unlimited refills to use them. Or just having free drinks like holiday world if the logistics of that can not be worked affordably. "

Sorry, but I feel the need to chime in here for a couple of reasons:

1. I don't feel that a "complaint letter" that was sent to Six Flags Guest Relations is the best "first post" for someone on our forums. Just sounds like you're trying to air some dirty laundry and use our forums to get a support group to rally behind you. Sorry, that's not really how we operate.

2. Yesterday was a holiday weekend, one of the busiest times for all parks in the US, and in addition to that they are doing a HUGE push for season passes, did you really not expect the park to be unusually busy and probably not up to par with your other visits? I have seen countless amounts of times where people will go to a park on an insanely busy day, where they knew it the back of their mind it would be packed, but will lash out at the park and complain about everything they can to compensate for their poor judgement of visiting on a typically crowded day.

3. If you've been a long time customer of Six Flags St. Louis for 25 years and you've finally had a "bad day" don't they at least deserve some credit for the other 24 years they've done well? Do you also sent them compliment letters for each time things are great with your visit?

4. I gotta be honest. It really sounds like you're mostly complaining about a couple of long lines due to some mis-communication with the season pass activation and not having the correct cheese or onions for your hot dog. Really??? These are your complaints that make it the "worst theme park visit you've had in 25 years????" Not having onions?!??! Seriously??? What you posted sounds like mostly minor issues that I think the majority of us here would shrug off to just being a busy holiday weekend day and not let it ruin our time at a park. If I was at the receiving end of your letter at Six Flags, I would be rolling my eyes at some of the things you're bringing up as issues.

5. I'd like to think that we are a group of "theme park experts" and anyone who has been visiting theme parks for most of their lives will know that not every visit is a home run. Just like not ever visit we have to a restaurant might be the best we've ever had. Every business on the planet has good days and bad days. I like to encourage people to think about the balance and also take into consideration factors that might change someone's experience. I'm not excusing a bad performance by a park or any other business for that matter, but at least try to have some understanding. It really just sounded like you were here to complain instead of being an active member of our community.

That being said, I'd like to welcome you to the forums and hope you'd be an active member here. But I really feel like this post wasn't the best choice for your initial offering to our community. Hopefully your future contributions will be more constructive and look at things from a different perspective before laying down minor complaints as a reason to make posts on the forum.

Thanks for your understanding.

Edited by robbalvey

This is what I will say on the matter. I'm not thrilled about the new attraction but I'm not going to carry on about it. Many of the people who work at the park are saying that the park is investing in park maintenance that had been neglected for a long time. Let me ask you this. How is the impact on the attendance of the park itself since they have been going this direction especially considering the increasingly aggressive competition from HW and SDC? Also, what exactly have they been working on as there is much there that looks to be in terrible condition (parking lots, roves, paint job on the track of the Mine Train, etc.)? Why have they not addressed the quality of the food sold in the park?

Hi all,

Sorry, but I feel the need to chime in here for a couple of reasons:

1. I don't feel that a "complaint letter" that was sent to Six Flags Guest Relations is the best "first post" for someone on our forums. Just sounds like you're trying to air some dirty laundry and use our forums to get a support group to rally behind you. Sorry, that's not really how we operate.

2. Yesterday was a holiday weekend, one of the busiest times for all parks in the US, and in addition to that they are doing a HUGE push for season passes, did you really not expect the park to be unusually busy and probably not up to par with your other visits? I have seen countless amounts of times where people will go to a park on an insanely busy day, where they knew it the back of their mind it would be packed, but will lash out at the park and complain about everything they can to compensate for their poor judgement of visiting on a typically crowded day.

3. If you've been a long time customer of Six Flags St. Louis for 25 years and you've finally had a "bad day" don't they at least deserve some credit for the other 24 years they've done well? Do you also sent them compliment letters for each time things are great with your visit?

4. I gotta be honest. It really sounds like you're mostly complaining about a couple of long lines due to some mis-communication with the season pass activation and not having the correct cheese or onions for your hot dog. Really??? These are your complaints that make it the "worst theme park visit you've had in 25 years????" Not having onions?!??! Seriously??? What you posted sounds like mostly minor issues that I think the majority of us here would shrug off to just being a busy holiday weekend day and not let it ruin our time at a park. If I was at the receiving end of your letter at Six Flags, I would be rolling my eyes at some of the things you're bringing up as issues.

5. I'd like to think that we are a group of "theme park experts" and anyone who has been visiting theme parks for most of their lives will know that not every visit is a home run. Just like not ever visit we have to a restaurant might be the best we've ever had. Every business on the planet has good days and bad days. I like to encourage people to think about the balance and also take into consideration factors that might change someone's experience. I'm not excusing a bad performance by a park or any other business for that matter, but at least try to have some understanding. It really just sounded like you were here to complain instead of being an active member of our community.

That being said, I'd like to welcome you to the forums and hope you'd be an active member here. But I really feel like this post wasn't the best choice for your initial offering to our community. Hopefully your future contributions will be more constructive and look at things from a different perspective before laying down minor complaints as a reason to make posts on the forum.

Thanks for your understanding.

I guess I mainly posted it because a lot of people have been saying several of the same things and I wanted to echo that I agree with what others are saying.

I have been to the park when it was busier and never encountered anything like what I encountered yesterday. Like I said it was far and away my worst visit to any theme park ever.

I have sent letters when I have received good service, however I've maybe done that twice in all my years of going to six flags St. Louis.