TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

I thought I remembered the horses being sent away for refurbishment back in the Shapiro days on SFSTL.net (RIP).

I believe one was sent off to a gentleman in Pacific that specialized in restoring Carousel horses to get an idea of what the restoration cost was. The idea was to send off a few each year and slowly bring the ride back. However like many things it was killed, which shouldn't be a surprise because they cant even keep their rides operational let alone cleaned up. There are what, 5 rides down at the moment, one of them probably wont come back ever and one if we're lucky will be back in time for HIP or FF.

SFSTL.net

A good lesson though in why strong passwords are a good thing.

Edited by Bossstl.

We need Josh to bring our spirits back up... or at least shut up our negative comments.

Speaking of which, has anyone heard from him? I sent him a PM a while ago to see if everything was OK after not seeing him around the boards, but he hasn't gotten back to me. His last post was on July 25th, and the 15th before that. I hope everything is well with him.

We need Josh to bring our spirits back up... or at least shut up our negative comments.

Speaking of which, has anyone heard from him? I sent him a PM a while ago to see if everything was OK after not seeing him around the boards, but he hasn't gotten back to me. His last post was on July 25th, and the 15th before that. I hope everything is well with him.

I saw him at the park up in HR a few days ago, maybe a week. But I don't spend much time in HR

Listen, guys. We're not taking a step back by any means when it comes to improvements at the park.

Pete Carmichael isn't the end of it by any means. We've so far continued the trend this season of the repainting and refurbishing that was going on the past couple of seasons when Dave was in charge. The whole Gotham City facade over by Batman was completely repainted, so was the facade for The Boss, as well as other things. The Grand Ole Carousel is also at a higher priority to be completely redone than you might think.

Operations is also a whole different story on a regular day. I went in mid-July and had a completely different experience than what was described on this forum. I don't think it's incompetence by the team members or anything Pete is doing, I think it's a severe inability to handle very large crowds. (Which is an issue in of itself)

Anyone working in operations at the park (and I have spoken to several myself) will tell you that making improvements is still an ongoing process, it's not like there's been a complete change of heart. The glory days of Six Flags St Louis have yet to come. To put it simply, they're working on it.

For the time being, Holiday World, Silver Dollar City, and Worlds of Fun may be better options for your time and money if you so choose, but I still don't see SFSTL as a big steaming pile of crap like everyone else seems to. That's not a rose-colored glasses thing either. I browse this forum consistently and still manage to generally have a good time every time I visit the park. I've gone consistently enough years in a row to see how much it's changed even since 2012.

Even if what's new for 2017 is a 4D Free Fly in place of Tidal Wave, it's not what we need, but I can live with it. It'll be new for the Midwest and if what I've heard about Batman at Fiesta Texas and Joker at Great Adventure is true, a fun ride as well. I'd rather have something new every year than nothing for 5 years at a time.

I guess it depends on your philosophy. I'm more of a wait 5 years and get something nice, kinda guy... Save your money and buy something you can really appreciate, as opposed to going to the dollar store and buying trash every time you get a few bucks. But I'm not sure how this would translate to the theme park business. It would be interesting to see what would happen if the park waited a few years while continuing refurbishment, and really got something worth while. Wash, rinse, repeat, and see what happens. Could be a costly experiment, but does a new Aqua Twist or Larson Loop really draw in the crowds?

I guess it depends on your philosophy. I'm more of a wait 5 years and get something nice, kinda guy... Save your money and buy something you can really appreciate, as opposed to going to the dollar store and buying trash every time you get a few bucks. But I'm not sure how this would translate to the theme park business. It would be interesting to see what would happen if the park waited a few years while continuing refurbishment, and really got something worth while. Wash, rinse, repeat, and see what happens. Could be a costly experiment, but does a new Aqua Twist or Larson Loop really draw in the crowds?

I can't say whether Tsunami Soaker and Fireball really drew in crowds as much as a brand new B&M hyper coaster would, (I doubt it) but I can say that it was a good choice to put in Tsunami Soaker, a family-friendly flat, so that the rotting Hannibarrels could finally be removed. (I find that that section of the park looks much nicer without it)

And whatever your opinion is about the spread of Larson loopers in SF parks, Fireball looks nicer than Rush Street Flyer did (at least in my opinion) up on the hill. The LED light package probably helps with that as well.

Everything that's been added to the park since 2011 when SkyScreamer replaced Riverview Racer has taken something old that was starting to become either a bit of an eyesore or just wasn't that popular and replaced it with something shiny and new. Plus, who in 2010 thought that a ride like Justice League would be put in in just five years' time?

Even though Boomerang is usually a bad ride experience and probably shouldn't be at the park, at least it looks good where it's at, and I think the way it interacts with the midway is a nice touch.

The yearly out with the old, in with the new addition thing that's been going on at all of the Six Flags parks for about 6 years now was probably the best business decision they could have made where they were at. You can't just wait five years after you've gone bankrupt and then put in a huge new ride at all of your parks to hopefully get the crowds in. Going off of what you said though, I hope that in the future when refurb work is done at all of the parks and expansion slows down to maybe a bi-annual thing, Six Flags can really start rolling out the heavy-hitting corporate investments.

For now though, I think it's going to continue to be little things here and there, continuing to slowly replace aging rides.

Listen, guys. We're not taking a step back by any means when it comes to improvements at the park.

Pete Carmichael isn't the end of it by any means. We've so far continued the trend this season of the repainting and refurbishing that was going on the past couple of seasons when Dave was in charge. The whole Gotham City facade over by Batman was completely repainted, so was the facade for The Boss, as well as other things. The Grand Ole Carousel is also at a higher priority to be completely redone than you might think.

Operations is also a whole different story on a regular day. I went in mid-July and had a completely different experience than what was described on this forum. I don't think it's incompetence by the team members or anything Pete is doing, I think it's a severe inability to handle very large crowds. (Which is an issue in of itself)

Anyone working in operations at the park (and I have spoken to several myself) will tell you that making improvements is still an ongoing process, it's not like there's been a complete change of heart. The glory days of Six Flags St Louis have yet to come. To put it simply, they're working on it.

For the time being, Holiday World, Silver Dollar City, and Worlds of Fun may be better options for your time and money if you so choose, but I still don't see SFSTL as a big steaming pile of crap like everyone else seems to. That's not a rose-colored glasses thing either. I browse this forum consistently and still manage to generally have a good time every time I visit the park. I've gone consistently enough years in a row to see how much it's changed even since 2012.

Even if what's new for 2017 is a 4D Free Fly in place of Tidal Wave, it's not what we need, but I can live with it. It'll be new for the Midwest and if what I've heard about Batman at Fiesta Texas and Joker at Great Adventure is true, a fun ride as well. I'd rather have something new every year than nothing for 5 years at a time.

I think its still too early to judge how well Pete is going to do. Hold off on judgement for the time being and give Pete some time. He has some large shoes to fill. I expected his first season to be a little rough as he comes up with his plan for the park and his way of achieving better guest satisfaction. Hold off on judgement for at least 2 more season and give the man time to work. Rome wasn't built in a day.

I 100% agree on this. He did add another restaurant, so that's a good start.

I just heard that The New Revolution VR is being changed to Rage of the Gargoyles. Possibly for Fright Fest?

I know they were doing that for the Demon at Great America but are they changing the VR across all parks?

I just heard that The New Revolution VR is being changed to Rage of the Gargoyles. Possibly for Fright Fest?

I know they were doing that for the Demon at Great America but are they changing the VR across all parks?

Nothing was said about TNR at Magic Mountain or the 3 Superman ones, so I assume their staying

I think its still too early to judge how well Pete is going to do. Hold off on judgement for the time being and give Pete some time. He has some large shoes to fill. I expected his first season to be a little rough as he comes up with his plan for the park and his way of achieving better guest satisfaction. Hold off on judgement for at least 2 more season and give the man time to work. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Agree with this. At least let him get settled. He's probably still trying to learn the ins and outs of this park.

Visited the park this afternoon for the first time after driving up from Branson and had a great time. After reading lots of negative things about the park i wasnt expecting much but actually ended up enjoying it more than Fiesta Texas which I visited last Sunday.

All the coasters were walk ons which probably helped tbf. Loved The Boss and Mr Freeze, not quite sure I understand the hype for Justice League though, thought it was pretty average myself.

Nothing was said about TNR at Magic Mountain or the 3 Superman ones, so I assume their staying

Either way I rode Ninja back to back 4 cycles in a row and the headset NEVER worked the first time I attempted to try it Thursday. I still feel that pain.

They need a better solution for VR. I know that even goes above Six Flags' Corp heads though.

I just wish they would improve food services. That is where the park desperately needs help and attention. Waiting inline 40 minutes for a smoothie is just ridiculous.. that happened to my wife yesterday.

My visit this past Sunday I went to the new chicken restaurant and actually didn't have a wait at all, but every other food service location had lines out into the midways. I just got lucky I guess.