TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

Dave hated the condition that the carousel was (is) in as well. I actually heard (don't know if it's true or not) that it was supposed to have undergone a full refurbishment during the 2014-2015 off-season, but when SFStL had the opportunity to replace Scooby with JL:BfM they couldn't possibly pass that up, so the money went there instead.

Dave hated the condition that the carousel was (is) in as well. I actually heard (don't know if it's true or not) that it was supposed to have undergone a full refurbishment during the 2014-2015 off-season, but when SFStL had the opportunity to replace Scooby with JL:BfM they couldn't possibly pass that up, so the money went there instead.

I just hate the concept of the fixed corporate upgrade budgets. Especially with such historical rides in need of care - this shouldn't be held against the park. I feel like a broken record.

Edited by Danrarbc

Maybe it's a stupid idea, but I wonder if the park invited enthusiasts to volunteer to come out in the off season and work on small projects like painting and things like that. I'd definitely help out. As far as the carousel goes, no, I don't have the skills to completely refurbish that, but hand me some stripper and sandpaper and I could definitely do some of the work. Maybe that could help offset some of the costs. I'm sure there are plenty of enthusiasts that would love to help keep our park in top shape.

I hope that map is only for lighting displays. Batman seems to be outside a shaded area, even Mine Train - that'd be fun with a little snow cover. Also American Thunder might be outside the shading.

I hope that map is only for lighting displays. Batman seems to be outside a shaded area, even Mine Train - that'd be fun with a little snow cover. Also American Thunder might be outside the shading.

I think that map is just for the themed displays. The website says most rides, other than water rides, will be operating. I can see the Boss not running because of temperature, but everything else should be ok unless it gets really cold.

Sorry guys, haven't been on in a while and I don't know if this has been talked about yet, but I know we had discussed it briefly a while back, but when it comes to Holiday World marketing very heavily in our area, they are going all the way now it seems. Now they have corporate sponsorships with local St Louis companies.

20160714_170446.thumb.jpg.4cd319c7c796ad71e5dba9ae00886ef0.jpg

Sorry guys, haven't been on in a while and I don't know if this has been talked about yet, but I know we had discussed it briefly a while back, but when it comes to Holiday World marketing very heavily in our area, they are going all the way now it seems. Now they have corporate sponsorships with local St Louis companies.

The apocalypse is here. Imos has defected.

The apocalypse is here. Imos has defected.

I'm headed there this weekend! 1st time visiting Holiday World!

They have an add with a local TV station, FOX 2. They have a big Facebook ad on their page and promoting a getaway to "The best park around and voted cleanest park in the country". Crazy how much advertising is going into HW:

http://fox2now.com/2016/07/13/win-8-one-day-passes-to-holiday-world-splashin-safari-2/

Good! Maybe 6 Flags will recognize and get corporate to show some love.

They have an add with a local TV station, FOX 2. They have a big Facebook ad on their page and promoting a getaway to "The best park around and voted cleanest park in the country". Crazy how much advertising is going into HW:

http://fox2now.com/2016/07/13/win-8-one-day-passes-to-holiday-world-splashin-safari-2/

Good! Maybe 6 Flags will recognize and get corporate to show some love.

Competition brings out the best in parks

Trip Report Wednesday July 13th.

Second of three bring a friend free days in a row in July. Expected larger than normal crowds, and wasn't wrong. However, while the crowd was larger than usual (biggest I have seen this summer after five trips), I still wouldn't call it crowded.

Quick rides on JLBFM, Flume, and thunder river. Went to Pandemonium...still testing. Mine Train next...closed. With no boomerang or superman, I started growing concerned about how the day would go. Couple that with the impossibility of getting our bottles filled in the Looney tunes section of the park (all restaurants and drink stands were closed until around noon...pretty frustrating on a hot day)...The frustration was mounting. Spoke to an employee about mine train and he said it would open later, but it's closed due to being understaffed so far.

I'm wondering how common this is. I would think they would expect larger crowds due to bring a friend day, but I realize that they don't pay...so...the regional advertisement model worked perfectly. Get captive eyes in the park, experience while in the park be damned. It's viable, and heavily reliant on bean counters, and it is a brilliant way to keep an aging and I increasingly regional/annual pass dependent park going. However, I hope it's not fueling a negative spiral.

Ate at JB's Smokehouse. First time since retheme years ago. Will eat here forever now.

Traveled to HH around 12:30. Did some stuff, then had all attractions close due to impending weather. Made decision to wait it out in the thought it would pass us by, yet clear out the park. When the apocalypse hit, we were still there. Whoops. The lifeguards and staff did a GREAT job handling the situation and crowd. My daughter and her friend were crying pretty severely, and after I calmed them down, a guard came over and spent some cool time with the girls talking to them and asking them questions. Honestly, it was awesome. If HH could figure out their food issue, it would be the crown jewel of the property.

I'm planning to be at the park sometime during the week of July 25 through July 29, and I wanted to make sure none of those days are bring-a-friend-free days. Would someone be able to tell me how to check this? Thanks.

I just logged onto the season passholder portal of the website. Looks like there's no bring a friend free days, but it is "bring a friend for $21.99" Monday-Fridays from the 25th through August 16.

I'm planning to be at the park sometime during the week of July 25 through July 29, and I wanted to make sure none of those days are bring-a-friend-free days. Would someone be able to tell me how to check this? Thanks.

I don't know how to tell another person to check it, but it's in the app or the season pass website. That week is bring a friend for $22. It'll be more crowded but obviously way less so than free.

SFSTL also moving in on the poke-craze.

I'm sick of "understaffed" being a legitimate reason for things to be closed. You're an amusement park, in the summer, on a bring a friend free day - get it right. Good lord.

I agree. It's standard practice at some parks for rides to open late sometimes due to low staffing. Carowinds and even Cedar Point do this on weekdays early in the season with their less popular rides. As long as they open eventually and it's restricted to less popular rides I don't mind so much, because those days are usually great days to go due to low crowds so it's a trade-off.

That being said, by July you need to have it together. Really once Memorial Day hits, they should have their staffing situation together.

First, Superman has been open all day today, which is fantastic to see.

Second, responding to parkjunkie, I posted a pic a few pages back of a huge HW advert on the front of an Imos box I ordered. It's interesting seeing a Thunderbird billboard at I-44 & 141 on my way home each day. However, I really think the HW advertising in STL topic is being blown out of proportion. HW will get plenty of new Guests, but I don't really see it affecting SFSL too much at all. If anything, it's a much better topic for the HW forum.

While I've never really thought about it until now, I've had the rare experience of working & living with the Koch's who built up HW as they bring the same strategies as HW while also having a lot of experience working in different roles at a Six Flags park. However, that doesn't make my opinion any more valid than anyone else's.

But what looks more enticing - a boomerang at SFStL or a shiny wing coaster at HW? The wing coaster would certainly grab my attention (and that's not from an enthusiast standpoint). Not trying to knock SFStL as I love the park but Six Flags needs to start stepping it up a bit in Eureka before HW and SDC start moving ahead and they will be too busy trying to play catch up later on.

But what looks more enticing - a boomerang at SFStL or a shiny wing coaster at HW? The wing coaster would certainly grab my attention (and that's not from an enthusiast standpoint). Not trying to knock SFStL as I love the park but Six Flags needs to start stepping it up a bit in Eureka before HW and SDC start moving ahead and they will be too busy trying to play catch up later on.

my two cents which are worth about a penny.

Hw and SDC are not the same as any six flags. Six Flags has become an "amusement park" it really isn't a "Theme Park" any longer. there is no real need for catch up now or later. Six Flags seems to me to have become so much more commercial and local oriented than a destination in and of itself. I have no experience at HW, so I can't really comment on it. SDC is in the Branson tourist Area and is certainly WAY WAY more themed Six flags. it is more of a destination to go specifically than Six flags. going to six flags has become more like going to the mall or a parking lot carnival.

I don't consider all the Warner Brothers/DC stuff as a "theme".

I think you choose a Six flags more for the ride experience and SDC more as a destination with a few good rides. I think the SDC bigger rides stem more from increasing the overall draw in their region rather than competing with another park.

more ramblings from an old man

Kevin

If they advertized they have a Mew-Two in the park I'd guarantee you they woukd reach peak capacity daily.

I really can't wait till some idiot tryies to catch one on Superman or goes under Batman.

I hope someone tries to catch one on I-44.