TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

Earlier than usual this year (maybe it's just me, but probably not), but the Fright Fest website including everything new for this year is now up!

https://frightfest.sixflags.com/stlouis/

Awesome! This is my first year going to Fright Fest.

Nice! Yeah, it's been neat to see Fright Fest improve over time. The event has been starting to get really good in the last couple of years as more time and money goes into the event's expansion so I feel like this year will be even better, and definitely a lot of fun for people that have never gone before.

I didn't see Voided Vision. Did they finally take it out?

I think Blackout is a rename of Voided Vision, which was a rename of Total Darkness from 2013.

It's not listed as a new maze, so maybe they just redesigned it again? I'm not sure how much Voided Vision/Total Darkness has changed over the span of the last 3 years since it was always the one that I skipped.

The weird thing is, the only other time the name BlackOut was used was when it was a test maze at SFMM back in 2012, which is why you saw a bunch of parks in the chain get Total Darkness during the 2013 season.

I don't know for sure, I might try it this year just to see how it is. I remember it having longer lines, I don't know if that's a capacity thing because of the size of the maze itself and how many groups can be inside at one time or if it's just a crowd favorite.

On another note though, Insanity Alley is being replaced with Night Terrors, a maze about a town called Black Springs where a coven of witches being burned at the stake causes a curse to be set upon the town, causing demons and the undead to walk the earth? Is it just me or is that one of the coolest concepts that they've had for a maze in a while?

I went this morning just to the water park for a little bit. I've never ridden the Tornado before, and omg that thing is scary. Just me and my wife went on and we sat cross corner from each other. I went backwards down the drop then backwards up the first hill in the bowl and I thought I was going to fall. If you let go during that or just couldn't hold on I could see somebody getting hurt on that. Must have been the scariest water slide I've ever been on. Had a good time though, not really long lines, just did the water park right when they opened, rode everything I wanted, then left. Might go back in a few weeks to do the main park, but I'm doing Six Flags Great America July 24th and 25th!

Judging from the lack of rumors, and the lack of any visual evidence of 2017 expansion within the park, I'm feeling pretty comfortable in assuming 2017 will be an addition to HH. I know its not what most of us would like, but it would still be nice to see. Honestly, rumors are fairly nonexistent this year for most of the SF parks. That is quite unusual lol!

Judging from the lack of rumors, and the lack of any visual evidence of 2017 expansion within the park, I'm feeling pretty comfortable in assuming 2017 will be an addition to HH. I know its not what most of us would like, but it would still be nice to see. Honestly, rumors are fairly nonexistent this year for most of the SF parks. That is quite unusual lol!

Considering it'll have been 5 years since there's been a new installation at Hurricane Harbor next year, we may be due for another. I'm still hoping next year is the year we finally get something big, but I guess we'll have to wait until September to find out for sure.

Yeah, for rumors I haven't heard much at all. And the only real announcement for 2017 throughout all the parks so far is that Six Flags Over Georgia is closing their bumper cars, and afterwards they posted a picture on Twitter of something under wraps, which to me either looks like cars for a 4D Free-Spin or maybe even the ride vehicles for JL:BM, but I'm not too sure.

As for us though, I hope we start hearing something relatively soon.

Outlaw: Before I was in a wheelchair, the ProSlide "Tornado" slides were one of my favorites to ride. I've always wondered about what would happen if people didn't hold on, because it's nearly impossible to enforce. However, there are dozens of the slides all over the world operating for years without any big injuries (I've never heard of anyone falling out).

To comment on the lack of rumors and possibility of a HH addition, SFSL is less likely to add a water park attraction than a park like HW. With HITP and FF, the park is open for two months of weekends in the Spring and around three months of weekends in the fall/winter. That's around five months where HH is closed. Especially with FF growing each year, you can "play RCT" in your head and think where it would be best to invest. How often do you invest in HH knowing that a HH attraction wouldn't help drive the gate (or help capacity) during those five months. While I don't have any kind of inside information, I think it's an interesting point to remember when looking at SFSL's capital expenditures.

That's good insight, but I wouldn't expect anything spectacular from a Six Flags chain at this point, anyway. They seem pretty committed to placing the same safe generic attractions in their parks. It's probably pretty good for business overall, but unfortunately it doesn't do anything for us. Your safest bet for any roller coaster within the next few years is a free spin, if you even consider that a roller coaster. Very very VERY distant hopes lie in an Iron Horse conversion of Boss. I'm not trying to be an a$$ when I say it, but thinking about anything original in the form of new construction is laughable at this point. We're still in the 'Aqua Twist' generation at our park. We'd be incredibly lucky to get a Huss Frisbee, or similar addition, and I don't think that will happen because of Excalibur.

Six Flags offers a lot of fun things for a lot of people. The modern company does it with a safe business model, which is still extremely and rightfully gun why from the recession. There's no doubt the company has gotten smarter, but looking at the chain from an enthusiast standpoint is a little depressing. I'm past the point of getting upset about it. I've accepted the fact that I have to travel to visit parks where I have the most fun, just as I don't expect good seafood from my local bar. Even if our park were one of the larger parks, we'd still probably be spoiled and crying because we hadn't gotten an iron horse conversion, B&M Giga, etc... (See SFGam Thread)

All of that said, I'm still looking forward to my first visit to the park in years. I'm going into it knowing exactly what to expect, just like when I went to WoF this year. We still have a couple of fun rerideable attractions like Batman and American Thunder that I'm looking forward to. I'll try not to get depressed when I look at Mr. Freeze, but I guess we're still not sure what all will be open for Holiday in the Park. Has any of this information been released, Josh?

That's good insight, but I wouldn't expect anything spectacular from a Six Flags chain at this point, anyway. They seem pretty committed to placing the same safe generic attractions in their parks. It's probably pretty good for business overall, but unfortunately it doesn't do anything for us. Your safest bet for any roller coaster within the next few years is a free spin, if you even consider that a roller coaster. Very very VERY distant hopes lie in an Iron Horse conversion of Boss. I'm not trying to be an a$$ when I say it, but thinking about anything original in the form of new construction is laughable at this point. We're still in the 'Aqua Twist' generation at our park. We'd be incredibly lucky to get a Huss Frisbee, or similar addition, and I don't think that will happen because of Excalibur.

Six Flags offers a lot of fun things for a lot of people. The modern company does it with a safe business model, which is still extremely and rightfully gun why from the recession. There's no doubt the company has gotten smarter, but looking at the chain from an enthusiast standpoint is a little depressing. I'm past the point of getting upset about it. I've accepted the fact that I have to travel to visit parks where I have the most fun, just as I don't expect good seafood from my local bar. Even if our park were one of the larger parks, we'd still probably be spoiled and crying because we hadn't gotten an iron horse conversion, B&M Giga, etc... (See SFGam Thread)

All of that said, I'm still looking forward to my first visit to the park in years. I'm going into it knowing exactly what to expect, just like when I went to WoF this year. We still have a couple of fun rerideable attractions like Batman and American Thunder that I'm looking forward to. I'll try not to get depressed when I look at Mr. Freeze, but I guess we're still not sure what all will be open for Holiday in the Park. Has any of this information been released, Josh?

Sadly, I'm with you on this. We keep season passes and a dining pass (may skip it next year) because we have a 6 year old, and I have my summers off. Therefore I just feel lucky icky to have a local park option. Like you, I'd love to have something truly exciting, but I'm over holding out hope. I do want the existing park to become more efficient, in regards to upkeep, operations, and food. This year we are scratching our bigger thrill itch by hitting SDC, Disneyland, and we just returned from adventuresome in des Moines. Let's talk about that park....

The ride portion of the park is pretty terrible, and kind of hilarious in layout and attempted theming. Insanely cheap.

That being said, rode their new coaster...The Monster. Good Lord that is an AWESOME ride. It is worth the trip for marathoning it only. Insanely smooth, fast, and force varied. Truly a special coaster. Their food is reasonable, and efficient (their ride ops are woeful though). Their water park, however is much better than HH IMHO. Spacious, efficient, friendly, varied, and the wave pool cycles through different patterns, putting HH to shame.

Next year it's HW and CP for starters. May take a year off from SFSTL. Hoping HITP brings a lot more $ in this year, so they can invest more in the park proper.

From what I have been told, most of the South Park is open minus the water rides obviously. The Boss and Eagle are closed, and the crossing arm by sky screamer is a block point. The rest of the Old Chicago area may or may not open depending on how big the event goes over and if they need the extra area to handle more guests. Each of the rides has a temperature that it can operate to until they shut it down. The big push for HIP is the park décor, which begins going up very soon, food and retail options, and entertainment, which signs for the Palace show for HIP where put up this week in the lobby. The show is called The Majesty of Christmas. If you go to the park they have a preview center by Bug Bunny National Park that shows a Map of the park with highlighted areas with the themes listed for the areas.

When I was having dinner at the park for Coaster Con, I overheard a few other enthusiasts who are higher up in the organization talking about conversations they had with Pete Carmichael, the park's new president. They said that when he first came to the park and was taken on a tour, a good part of the time was spent looking at the park's carousel. Apparently, Pete was appalled with the condition of this classic ride and it's obvious neglect. While I would love seeing a new coaster, I also hate seeing the classic rides leaving or falling into disrepair (Hannibarrels, MoMo the Monster, Tom's Twister, etc.). I get that keeping some of these rides is difficult because of parts. However, I also know that Six Flags's maintenance department is well-known for being able to machine new parts and keeping these rides running. Maybe some money will be spent rehabbing this 1915 PTC gem.

I went this morning just to the water park for a little bit. I've never ridden the Tornado before, and omg that thing is scary. Just me and my wife went on and we sat cross corner from each other. I went backwards down the drop then backwards up the first hill in the bowl and I thought I was going to fall. If you let go during that or just couldn't hold on I could see somebody getting hurt on that. Must have been the scariest water slide I've ever been on. Had a good time though, not really long lines, just did the water park right when they opened, rode everything I wanted, then left. Might go back in a few weeks to do the main park, but I'm doing Six Flags Great America July 24th and 25th!

Heh. I'll be in Great America the 25th and 26th.

When I was having dinner at the park for Coaster Con, I overheard a few other enthusiasts who are higher up in the organization talking about conversations they had with Pete Carmichael, the park's new president. They said that when he first came to the park and was taken on a tour, a good part of the time was spent looking at the park's carousel. Apparently, Pete was appalled with the condition of this classic ride and it's obvious neglect. While I would love seeing a new coaster, I also hate seeing the classic rides leaving or falling into disrepair (Hannibarrels, MoMo the Monster, Tom's Twister, etc.). I get that keeping some of these rides is difficult because of parts. However, I also know that Six Flags's maintenance department is well-known for being able to machine new parts and keeping these rides running. Maybe some money will be spent rehabbing this 1915 PTC gem.

as a former host in the 80's (82,83,84 season) I too was appalled when I saw the condition of this ride. it was refurbished last and quite obviously when I was working there.. it is disgraceful to look at now.

another classic area that is really showing its age is OLD GLORY AMPHITHEATER - it really needs an upgrade and rebuild I would love to see some real concerts come back like in the heydays... ( sorry I am old and crotchety now...)

BP

as a former host in the 80's (82,83,84 season) I too was appalled when I saw the condition of this ride. it was refurbished last and quite obviously when I was working there.. it is disgraceful to look at now.

another classic area that is really showing its age is OLD GLORY AMPHITHEATER - it really needs an upgrade and rebuild I would love to see some real concerts come back like in the heydays... ( sorry I am old and crotchety now...)

BP

AGREED! I remember seeing some great concerts. Those concerts also really brought people to the park.

Yes, horrible. The roof/ceiling is totally peeling and rusted. Needs to be totally sandblasted. All horses need to be totally rehabbed. My niece and me on our very fun visit! It should have never gotten this bad.

WP_20160526_11_14_40_Pro.thumb.jpg.dca5a8b77ff3214d3703e424c7f2b0e9.jpg