TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

I just saw a new POV of Ghost Rider which was Rehab'ed by GCI. Not bad at all! Here's hoping the rumor for a GCI rebuild/overhaul on the Boss comes true.

Let me just take this opportunity to point out that RMC overhauled this ride in 2014.

The RMC rebuild on the Boss in 2014 was not as extensive as the Ghost Rider overhaul. I am talking about the Lift Hill/Drop extension plus Millenum Flyer Trains, etc. as discussed on Screamscape.

My piss comment was in response to the belittling comment made concerning equating the issues with soap dispensers being out. I don't get why it's shrug worthy to wait in a food line for an hour, buy two beverages for ten bucks each on a hot day, and expect ice. What a bitch I am.

There's absolutely no need to be this butt hurt. It was a joke inspired by you being slightly over dramatic.

I just saw a new POV of Ghost Rider which was Rehab'ed by GCI. Not bad at all! Here's hoping the rumor for a GCI rebuild/overhaul on the Boss comes true.

Let me just take this opportunity to point out that RMC overhauled this ride in 2014.

The RMC rebuild on the Boss in 2014 was not as extensive as the Ghost Rider overhaul. I am talking about the Lift Hill/Drop extension plus Millenum Flyer Trains, etc. as discussed on Screamscape.

I haven't heard those rumours. I don't read Screamscape, as I prefer reality to pipe dreams. It's just a hobby of mine than whenever anyone says Boss should be retracked, I like to point out that it has been, recently, and by RMC. Just to throw some reality into the conversation.

I'm going to be totally honest here, Boss is awesome as is and I-box Boss would be ridiculously amazing, but that's about the only major thing I want them to do with it. Just keep retracking and keeping up maintenance, maybe get some more comfortable trains (although apparently the gersts do less damage to the track or something?) and you're great. Although The Beast does beat Boss at best out in the woods terrain woodie but The Boss is super awesome anyway.

My piss comment was in response to the belittling comment made concerning equating the issues with soap dispensers being out. I don't get why it's shrug worthy to wait in a food line for an hour, buy two beverages for ten bucks each on a hot day, and expect ice. What a bitch I am.

There's absolutely no need to be this butt hurt. It was a joke inspired by you being slightly over dramatic.

The interwebz is serious tonight

A) i'm pretty sure that rumor isn't credible. Welcome to Screamscape. It is a lot of fun but don't let it get your hopes up.

B) I would passionately come after anyone with a burning pitchfork who would dare get rid of the double down drop.

One in particular that I think could be a candidate is Highland Fling. It'll be 40 next year, and although they had the refurb last year with new (relatively speaking) gondolas, it's probably getting harder to maintain and is down a lot more for maintenance issues this year than it seems like it has been in the past.

Highland Fling is having the same issues that it has had for years and is not at risk for removal. Tidal Wave is certainly a more likely candidate as its age is beginning to catch up with it and popularity seems to be rather low.

I think it might be a case of poor location for this ride (TW)... it is stuck in a slow moving corner of the park..

BP

One in particular that I think could be a candidate is Highland Fling. It'll be 40 next year, and although they had the refurb last year with new (relatively speaking) gondolas, it's probably getting harder to maintain and is down a lot more for maintenance issues this year than it seems like it has been in the past.

Highland Fling is having the same issues that it has had for years and is not at risk for removal. Tidal Wave is certainly a more likely candidate as its age is beginning to catch up with it and popularity seems to be rather low.

I think it might be a case of poor location for this ride (TW)... it is stuck in a slow moving corner of the park..

BP

Agreed. I think TW is in a bad location too. But I feel that the entrance to the ride is in a bad spot more than the ride itself.

So, the ACE Convention is in full swing, and the park has rolled out the red carpet and is doing a fantastic job!

Also? Both The Boss and The Eagle were running really, really well last night, and both are in about the best shape I've seen in years. Multiple comments heard last night about how wonderful the Boss is running, and I think that it gained quite a few fans.

I've always really enjoyed it, but it was good to see it in such great shape

Finally took the plunge and went to Holiday World this weekend. I know this isn't the HW thread so I will do a full trip report there maybe, but there's been a lot of talk of how the two parks compare lately and how much their advertising in STL will affect SFSTL and that was very on my mind.

Overall, I found at least personally, the parks compare pretty favorably to one another. Neither are perfect and what one lacks, the other one seems to have. While I had a great time at HW it really made me respect the things we have that we may take for granted. Rides like Batman and Mr. Freeze, while not "unique" to us traveling coaster junkies would sure help Holiday World feel more complete. While SFSTL could learn from Holiday Worlds operations and guest relations.

Splashing Surfari on the other hand makes me never want to return to Hurricane Harbor, so there is that on the negative side haha.

I wasn't there for the ACE event, but I did visit the park for only my 2nd time. I was following this thread a lot in preparation for the trip, and after hearing all these reports, I personally feel the roller coasters there are very good, but not great. Definitely not as bad as many say, but not smooth as glass either. Nothing really stood out to me as extremely good, nor extremely bad. I left the rides satisfied, but also felt they'd be poor for marathoning (a bit too rough for that, IMO). All in all, I felt it was an above mediocre experience--not exactly high praise, but based on some things I've heard on this thread, I was braced for a total loss. I didn't find it to be that.

This makes a lot of sense. Really great rides we can generally agree upon. Same with really bad rides. Rides that fall in the middle are very subjective, and opinions will vary widely, which is sort of what I see in this thread. Virtually every coaster in this park falls in the middle.

That said, I am a huge fan of Excalibur/Endeavor. Is that the only permanent installation in the US, or otherwise? As short as the ride is, just because of it's smoothness and uniqueness, I thought it'd get more coverage. I'm really surprised (but glad) the park keeps it. I figure the maintenance has got to be a nightmare.

Edited by edgeboy

I just always assume Highland Fling is down because someone puked... again... and they are cleaning it up.

Mr Freeze is a top twenty ride for me, and I could ride one of those things all day, but I agree that most of the lineup is pretty average. American Thunder ran pretty sluggish when I rode it so my opinion is probably less informed than most in that case. Boss is a pretty great terrain woodie but definitely too rough to marathon. Eagle is fun and has very good floater air but nothing to write home about. Pretty much the rest of the lineup is clones.

This week should be a great opportunity to get your fill of coaster rides considering it's hotter than hades here in the StL, and everyone will be hitting Hurricane Harbor. I'm taking all of the kids, nephews, and nieces tomorrow. I'll be the Dad at the bar in JB's around 5p until closing time.

Mr Freeze is a top twenty ride for me, and I could ride one of those things all day, but I agree that most of the lineup is pretty average. American Thunder ran pretty sluggish when I rode it so my opinion is probably less informed than most in that case. Boss is a pretty great terrain woodie but definitely too rough to marathon. Eagle is fun and has very good floater air but nothing to write home about. Pretty much the rest of the lineup is clones.

American Thunder is hella fun in the late afternoon until close. Plus... no lines, multiple succession rides, ride photo posing practice, etc.

Yeah I wish I had gotten a ride in the back later in the day. I only rode near the front early in the day during Fright Fest last October. I only got to spend 3 hours at the park anyway but I never really got to ride American Thunder at its best.

So my son and I were also at the ACE event and agree Six Flags really did do a great job. The buffet in the water park during private ride time there was unique and fun. And the exit ticket on the last day was a nice touch, (although I realize that was at no cost to them) but they did feed us well and Pete Carmichael was very present throughout.

FWIW - I talked to several of the attendees who had never been to SFSTL before and they mostly seemed to have a favorable impression of the park. Several of them raved about the airtime on Eagle.....course these are mostly die hard coaster people. The only real consistent complaint I heard was how strict the bag policy on the rides was and the fact that most of them had no place to leave them at the station. In other words they knew SF was just pushing the dollar locker rentals.

On another note we ate lunch at the new Fowl Ball restaurant that used to be Calico's chicken (for one of the only meals they did not provide for us in the picnic grove) and I say...meh. Was really hoping they would revive fried chicken but they just had chicken strips, nachos, and foot longs which are all offered at other locations in the park.

And now off to HW for the last day and a half of the coaster con.