TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

Well you can tell how crappy a park is when the biggest (and longest) conversation in the thread is where a person should go other than said park and how far is too far away to avoid going to said park by going to another instead

FWIW, the one time I went to SFStL (over 12 years ago now), I enjoyed myself, and preferred it to WoF. But it was a long time ago, and other than American Thunder, not much has changed, so I can understand the frustration it engenders these days... I definitely have more desire to go back to WoF than SFStL now.

I'm starting to get the feeling we're at a crossroads with SFSL. Either we get the cash we need to actually make it work or...

Competitors are actively engaging the market and anecdotally that is creating interest. It doesn't hurt both have run a better park the last decade and a half. If Cedar Fair also decides to market WoF that'd be another one to fight. It isn't like WoF is densely packed, from what I can tell they have some room for new additions. Cedar Fair strikes me as a company not afraid to invest if they have aspirations for a park. Taking over the heartland wouldn't be a small aspiration.

Personally, I have a SF season pass. I got it through my job where it is payroll deducted from several checks. I have yet to use it this season because I've yet to be able to afford the gas (I live three hours away from the park), the $20 to park, the money to upgrade the pass to have free parking, and food. It is disappointing having such an expensive hobby (as compared to my income). Also, the last time I visited a park other than SFStL was in 2014 when I went to SDC, which was generously covered by a friend. Maybe someday I'll be able to afford to do what I enjoy more often.

Next time you get a season pass, buy it online Labor Day weekend. I did that last year(even when a friend said he didn't have the money), where I bought 3. We processed them during Fright Fest, which gave us free Gold upgrades. Ended up paying $60 each for a Gold Pass.

I have specific preferences for how long I will drive in order to achieve a given level of enjoyment. I will present these numbers as though they have any bearing on the utility curve of other people in situations that may or may not be similar to my own. This will be discussion in the SFStL thread for multiple pages because in addition to our park being a trackwreck, we are a trainwreck.

Well you can tell how crappy a park is when the biggest (and longest) conversation in the thread is where a person should go other than said park and how far is too far away to avoid going to said park by going to another instead

It's an oddly active thread considering how little happens. The GrAm thread has had about 30 pages of discussion since the announcement of Battle for Metropolis. We've had literally 191 pages in the same time period.

We are the walking dead.

To add to my above post, my personal philosophy on traveling to parks or traveling in general is that if our destination is within 12 hours or so, we're good to drive. Any further than that and we hop a flight.

If I can spend 12 hours in a dirty cramped Ford Taurus while wearing a bullet proof vest strapped around my torso and a heavy belt strapped very tightly around my waist, to the point where my holster is digging into my side, a 12 hour drive in gym shorts with my lovely wife by my side is a pleasure. I guess it's all what you're used to. Three hours on the other hand is nothing.

and... To add to the economy car argument, when we don't take our Crosstrek, we take my STI, which is on 18" wheels, summer track tires, and 'track tuned suspension.' Not to mention the drone from the aftermarket exhaust and constant on and off spooling of the turbo and factory bypass valve noises. Basically the STI is a poor man's race car, being an economy car set up for the track. It's definitely not as pleasurable as the Crosstrek or the Fit, and it certainly makes something in comparison to a 1995 Honda Accord seem luxurious. Grow some back bone, guys.

Wait until you have kids!

This man speaks the truth! I have no problem driving long distances. In fact, our honeymoon trip was a giant road trip all over the Midwest and into Canada. We used to drive up to SFStL in the morning, stay all day, then drive back. It was a long 18 hour day, including drive time, but totally doable.

With kids, you don't want to drive more than three hours in a day. There will be consequences, no matter how good your kids are.

I mean SFStL isn't that bad, I wish I could have spent more time there, and all of the woodies and Mr Freeze made my top ten.

Now, is SFStL's coaster lineup pretty much budget Holiday World with some random other stuff thrown in? Of course. Is budget Holiday World with random other stuff thrown in a bad thing? Not necessarily.

My family and I are Sfstl season pass holders. My kids are 12 and 8. We can be at Six Flags in 1 hour. It is a great one day trip. To go to any other park, we would need a hotel, dog sitter, and 2 days. With our crazy schedules, not gonna happen often.

We can do a quick one day trip to Six Flags. My kids love it. They are not coaster crazy. If I'm going to complain, it's that the shows are infrequent and do not change from season to season. However I think Miss Kitty is new this year.

My family and I are Sfstl season pass holders. My kids are 12 and 8. We can be at Six Flags in 1 hour. It is a great one day trip. To go to any other park, we would need a hotel, dog sitter, and 2 days. With our crazy schedules, not gonna happen often.

We can do a quick one day trip to Six Flags. My kids love it. They are not coaster crazy. If I'm going to complain, it's that the shows are infrequent and do not change from season to season. However I think Miss Kitty is new this year.

And that works for you. Congrats. The thing is, my family grew up being passholders to WOF, SFSTL and SDC. We were not exposed to the blinders of being a single park family. So for us to be expected to be satisfied with a park that really hasn't changed for 10 years is not an option.

To add to my above post, my personal philosophy on traveling to parks or traveling in general is that if our destination is within 12 hours or so, we're good to drive. Any further than that and we hop a flight.

If I can spend 12 hours in a dirty cramped Ford Taurus while wearing a bullet proof vest strapped around my torso and a heavy belt strapped very tightly around my waist, to the point where my holster is digging into my side, a 12 hour drive in gym shorts with my lovely wife by my side is a pleasure. I guess it's all what you're used to. Three hours on the other hand is nothing.

and... To add to the economy car argument, when we don't take our Crosstrek, we take my STI, which is on 18" wheels, summer track tires, and 'track tuned suspension.' Not to mention the drone from the aftermarket exhaust and constant on and off spooling of the turbo and factory bypass valve noises. Basically the STI is a poor man's race car, being an economy car set up for the track. It's definitely not as pleasurable as the Crosstrek or the Fit, and it certainly makes something in comparison to a 1995 Honda Accord seem luxurious. Grow some back bone, guys.

Wait until you have kids!

This man speaks the truth! I have no problem driving long distances. In fact, our honeymoon trip was a giant road trip all over the Midwest and into Canada. We used to drive up to SFStL in the morning, stay all day, then drive back. It was a long 18 hour day, including drive time, but totally doable.

With kids, you don't want to drive more than three hours in a day. There will be consequences, no matter how good your kids are.

Oh, no doubt. It's why we've chosen not to have kids for several more years, if ever.

As far as calling it "Insanity" to get up early and go to bed late for the theme park... that seems a little dramatic. Tiring? Yes. Insanity? Far from it. Life is too short to live a pampered lifestyle.

2) However, from the other side of the argument, one thing I see a lot here on TPR that gets annoying, and frankly, is a little myopic and ignorant, is one person, or group of persons, making value judgments about another person's personal health, monetary situation, or physical tolerances. If somebody has lower back pain, implying they must be doing something wrong health-wise is a false assumption, as everybody's body is different, and you also don't know what extreme events, or jobs, that person may have done to lead to their issue. Also, (and this frequently irks me during Fast Lane type discussions), everybody is at a different place financially, and what may be financially feasible for one member here, may not be for another. Blanket assessments of "oh, this is something everybody should be able to afford to do if they budget and plan wisely" are almost never taking into account each member's own personal situation and variables. We don't know each other's financial situation, or familial composition, so making those blanket assumptions just comes off as pretentious, and at times, a bit judgmental. I would wager a guess that I am in the very small minority of people here on TPR who is supporting a family of four kids and two adults, with a lower middle class income no less. As such, many of you don't have any idea of the financial situation, and limitations that I am faced with, whenever it comes to enjoying our hobby. I get that we're all in a different place, but be careful not to discredit somebody else's viewpoint, and personal limitations, just because you have been blessed with more freedom and financial flexibility in your own personal life.

Just relax, dude. No one was trying to personally attack anyone... but when a 21 year old expresses that he can't drive three hours, because he doesn't have a luxurious car with heated leather seats or lumbar support it strikes me as a little silly.

The Miss Kitty's show is the same this year as last, but the Looney Toon show and the Palace Shows are both brand new. The Palace opens this Saturday and Empire soon after apparently. And every show usually happens 3 times a day. It is true that shows don't change every year, most shows have a 2-3 season run as redoing a show is quite a large ordeal.

Just relax, dude. No one was trying to personally attack anyone... but when a 21 year old expresses that he can't drive three hours, because he doesn't have a luxurious car with heated leather seats or lumbar support it strikes me as a little silly.

Thanks for putting words in my mouth, its greatly appreciated. No where did I say that I can't drive three hours without Cadillac seats. I said I find driving three hours to be very uncomfortable, there is a difference. I've taken trips where I had to drive for 3 hours or longer before (one was for a job interview). But, anyway thanks again for putting words in my month.

Well his mistake... but nonetheless it's hard for people in their 30's to take the whining (and that's what it was) of a 20 something seriously. For the record here is what you said.

Seats in an economy car are not very comfortable for long periods of time. Not everyone has a car with heated leather seats, lumbar support, and a telescopic steering wheel.

Considering how big Missouri is - you must not do much outside of the metro area if you refuse to drive further than 3 hours.

ANYWAY, how about we take the discussion back to the park? I for one am tired of this argument.

Is Fireball still drawing a decent crowd from the GP, how is the progress on the suspected new restaurant? Is the VR doing better? How is JL doing at the moment? Has the HITP preview building been opened yet? How is The Boss doing right now? Please, lets step away from the silly bickering and finger pointing.

2) However, from the other side of the argument, one thing I see a lot here on TPR that gets annoying, and frankly, is a little myopic and ignorant, is one person, or group of persons, making value judgments about another person's personal health, monetary situation, or physical tolerances. If somebody has lower back pain, implying they must be doing something wrong health-wise is a false assumption, as everybody's body is different, and you also don't know what extreme events, or jobs, that person may have done to lead to their issue. Also, (and this frequently irks me during Fast Lane type discussions), everybody is at a different place financially, and what may be financially feasible for one member here, may not be for another. Blanket assessments of "oh, this is something everybody should be able to afford to do if they budget and plan wisely" are almost never taking into account each member's own personal situation and variables. We don't know each other's financial situation, or familial composition, so making those blanket assumptions just comes off as pretentious, and at times, a bit judgmental. I would wager a guess that I am in the very small minority of people here on TPR who is supporting a family of four kids and two adults, with a lower middle class income no less. As such, many of you don't have any idea of the financial situation, and limitations that I am faced with, whenever it comes to enjoying our hobby. I get that we're all in a different place, but be careful not to discredit somebody else's viewpoint, and personal limitations, just because you have been blessed with more freedom and financial flexibility in your own personal life.

Dude, where's my car??? Oh wait...

Seriously though, there's no need for me to relax about anything... I expressed a well thought-out, and well-written viewpoint, that had been on my mind for a while pertaining to things I've seen here on TPR as a whole. I didn't get cray-zay, or bash anybody, but brought a different perspective to the table that I don't see mentioned here often (that of a family man), and it brought out some others who acknowledged feeling the same way. No harm, no foul there...

Pertaining to the specifics of the poster and situation you mentioned, I actually commented that for me, driving 3 hours isn't a big deal, as that's what I do every time I go to my "home park" of Cedar Point. Would I drive 3 hours regularly to go to Holiday World? Honestly, probably not... But I would definitely do it at least once a year, if I only lived that far away! However, I am not the other poster, and I don't know what personal back problems, or other issues he may have, so I choose not to judge whether a 3 hour drive for me, is the same as a 3 hour drive for him. That's all I'm saying... Let's just try to work on considering other people's viewpoints, before being so quick to dismiss them around here!

Everybody stay calm and don't worry, because I get back to STL on Monday. As you all can probably guess, upon my return a new hyper will be built and all of your dreams will come through. You are welcome as always.

Sincerely,

HWFan

P.S. I kinda missed the whole car and lower back convo there so I was wondering if there was still room for me to play the wheelchair card. I'd not, then I'll still play it anyway because that's how I....(wait for it)...roll.

I'm assuming we've seen the last of Boomerang?

BTW, I know everyone here hates that ride, but its very popular with kids, so its exclusion in the lineup is a big loss.

BTW, I know everyone here hates that ride, but its very popular with kids, so its exclusion in the lineup is a big loss.

No way!!! Boomerang is so new!! It's teh new rollercoastr!!!! Brand NEW for SFStL...the COASTER CAPITAL

Why would you think we've seen the last of it? As far as hardware failures and derailments go it was relatively minor.

Is Fireball still drawing a decent crowd from the GP, how is the progress on the suspected new restaurant? Is the VR doing better? How is JL doing at the moment? Has the HITP preview building been opened yet? How is The Boss doing right now? Please, lets step away from the silly bickering and finger pointing.

It's all horrible. The restaurant has been on fire for days and there is still an hour long line for food. VR is blinding people and the roller coaster is literally snapping their necks it's so rough. Over at JL, thanks to bad ops, someone flipped a safety toggle and Cyborg's laser started going off, randomly vaporizing guests (although this did reduce queue time somewhat). The HITP preview got mixed up with the Fright Fest preview and now Krampus is making every child in the park cry uncontrollably. Some trickster - I suspect Wily E. Coyote - installed vibration motors in all the Boss's trains so it's rougher than ever. Worse still I had to drive a full 30 minutes to get to the park but my built in seat massagers were broken so I got drop toes.

This all could have been avoided.

If only we had gotten Goliath instead of Georgia.

Thanks Six Flags.

It's all horrible. The restaurant has been on fire for days and there is still an hour long line for food. VR is blinding people and the roller coaster is literally snapping their necks it's so rough. Over at JL, thanks to bad ops, someone flipped a safety toggle and Cyborg's laser started going off, randomly vaporizing guests (although this did reduce queue time somewhat). The HITP preview got mixed up with the Fright Fest preview and now Krampus is making every child in the park cry uncontrollably. Some trickster - I suspect Wily E. Coyote - installed vibration motors in all the Boss's trains so it's rougher than ever. Worse still I had to drive a full 30 minutes to get to the park but my built in seat massagers were broken so I got drop toes.

This all could have been avoided.

If only we had gotten Goliath instead of Georgia.

Thanks Six Flags.

You had me there until Cyborg's laser! (And, I knew nobody was literally getting blinded or having their necks snapped, of course...)

As far as Boomerang's concerned, it shouldn't be going anywhere, at least for a while. However, the GP shouldn't expect it to be reopened any time before at least Fright Fest.

On another note, Superman went down for the night yesterday a few hours before close, and from the sound and look of things (they've already parked the cars at the top) it might be a few days before it's back up. Maybe not, but it's worth noting.

As far as Boomerang's concerned, it shouldn't be going anywhere, at least for a while. However, the GP shouldn't expect it to be reopened any time before at least Fright Fest.

On another note, Superman went down for the night yesterday a few hours before close, and from the sound and look of things (they've already parked the cars at the top) it might be a few days before it's back up. Maybe not, but it's worth noting.

Superman really hasn't worked out has it? How long has it been reduced capacity due to the first major failure?