TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

And in more exciting SFStL news, the TV's in the JLBfM queue were back on as of Wednesday.

Yay!! Six Flags finally managed to make something work!!!!

That was suppose to work all along...

I went to SFSL May 17, and I was thoroughly impressed with the park appearance and layout. Unlike some parks (talking to you SFGAm), the park layout was simple. Only a few main pathways, some dead ends that made me mad (no maps were handed out, and I didn't know where to get one), and some nice plazas. The only reason I went to SFSL (I'm lying, I would have went no matter what), was for Mr. Freeze. A really great ride, but the rest were mediocre. Wish Corp. would give SFSL more attention. SFSL should've gotten a good coaster rather than "Revolutionize" Ninja. **Insert "Should've gotten a B&M."** Also, we all were waiting for Boomerang to fail. Screw you, Vekoma.

I posted a quick TR from one of our surrounding parks, WOF, if anyone is interested:

http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=46024&p=1703791#p1703791

I think it's really interesting that WoF seems to have what we all claim Six Flags needs, a legit hyper. But when it comes down to it you still say it doesn't have one of those rides that really grabs you and makes you want to come back. Makes me wonder if SFSTL ever did build a hyper if it would calm the masses, or if its just been seen as another geneceric or clone.

I understand what you mean, but just going by the statistics isn't enough to compare roller coasters. Imagine taking cars with similar track/performance times and saying they offer similar driving experiences, because they are close on paper. My WRX had almost identical stats to my 350z, but they offered very different driving experiences. Morgans are just kind of "meh" in my book compared to B&M's or Intamin for that reason.

I'd also be perfectly content with riding Goliath (SFoG) from sun up to sun down, where as I'm pretty much done after a couple laps on Mamba. Morgans just look and feel so much more dated to me. Even though they aren't that old, they just feel dated. Everything from the bulky ugly trains to the loud nails on a chalk board lift hills.... eh.

You're probably at least a little right, though. I'm sure if we do get something modern and large scale some people will still complain.

Not trying to get into an argument but let me ask you this as I agree that the original Morgan coasters (Mamba, Wild Thing, etc.) were on the weak side, the trains feel extremely bulky, and the lay out was basically a rip off of Magnum XL-200 without the intensity. Have you guys ridden the Phantoms Revenge and if so, how does that rank in comparison to the B&Ms and the Intamins? I think the problem is the layouts and the trains. The Phantom's Revenge surprised me with how much airtime it contained and the converted Arrow trains while far from perfect was still an improvement over the enormous Morgan ones.

I can agree that the B&Ms have a nicer train design that is more comfortable in the seating position, with more open feel is more thrilling, and the layouts are newer and naturally more original than the original Morgan hypers, but I still do not feel much airtime difference between the old Morgans and the Diamond Back. Apollo's Chariot is a bit better, but not exactly the best airtime machine I have experienced either. The older none hyper B&Ms seem to be more intense and more fun from my experience .

And in more exciting SFStL news, the TV's in the JLBfM queue were back on as of Wednesday.

Yay!! Six Flags finally managed to make something work!!!!

That was suppose to work all along...

Yeah I actually filed an email complaint on it.

Phantom's Revenge is definitely the anomaly among Morgan hypers. I had a blast riding it when I visited Kennywood in 2013; I especially liked the surprise double-down near the end of the ride. However, for me, the circumstances surrounding its creation keep it in an almost separate category away from other Morgan hypers, certainly away from snoozefests like Steel Force and Mamba.

That said, I've heard Superman down in Mexico is pretty good.

I went to SFSL May 17, and I was thoroughly impressed with the park appearance and layout. Unlike some parks (talking to you SFGAm), the park layout was simple. Only a few main pathways, some dead ends that made me mad (no maps were handed out, and I didn't know where to get one), and some nice plazas. The only reason I went to SFSL (I'm lying, I would have went no matter what), was for Mr. Freeze. A really great ride, but the rest were mediocre. Wish Corp. would give SFSL more attention. SFSL should've gotten a good coaster rather than "Revolutionize" Ninja. **Insert "Should've gotten a B&M."** Also, we all were waiting for Boomerang to fail. Screw you, Vekoma.

You can find maps at the two large carts located directly in front of the main enterance gate. You have to walk right past one to get to either side of the park. These carts are full of maps, show guides, and info on dining passes. Also some of the retail stores and the Palace box office have maps available as well.

You can find maps at the two large carts located directly in front of the main enterance gate. You have to walk right past one to get to either side of the park. These carts are full of maps, show guides, and info on dining passes. Also some of the retail stores and the Palace box office have maps available as well.

Yeah, I did not know that. I was too worried about getting on Mr. Freeze before the lines were long. (BTW, I got a walk on front row and marathoned it three times back row. Got five rides total. )

I posted a quick TR from one of our surrounding parks, WOF, if anyone is interested:

http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=46024&p=1703791#p1703791

I think it's really interesting that WoF seems to have what we all claim Six Flags needs, a legit hyper. But when it comes down to it you still say it doesn't have one of those rides that really grabs you and makes you want to come back. Makes me wonder if SFSTL ever did build a hyper if it would calm the masses, or if its just been seen as another geneceric or clone.

I understand what you mean, but just going by the statistics isn't enough to compare roller coasters. Imagine taking cars with similar track/performance times and saying they offer similar driving experiences, because they are close on paper. My WRX had almost identical stats to my 350z, but they offered very different driving experiences. Morgans are just kind of "meh" in my book compared to B&M's or Intamin for that reason.

I'd also be perfectly content with riding Goliath (SFoG) from sun up to sun down, where as I'm pretty much done after a couple laps on Mamba. Morgans just look and feel so much more dated to me. Even though they aren't that old, they just feel dated. Everything from the bulky ugly trains to the loud nails on a chalk board lift hills.... eh.

You're probably at least a little right, though. I'm sure if we do get something modern and large scale some people will still complain.

Not trying to get into an argument but let me ask you this as I agree that the original Morgan coasters (Mamba, Wild Thing, etc.) were on the weak side, the trains feel extremely bulky, and the lay out was basically a rip off of Magnum XL-200 without the intensity. Have you guys ridden the Phantoms Revenge and if so, how does that rank in comparison to the B&Ms and the Intamins? I think the problem is the layouts and the trains. The Phantom's Revenge surprised me with how much airtime it contained and the converted Arrow trains while far from perfect was still an improvement over the enormous Morgan ones.

I can agree that the B&Ms have a nicer train design that is more comfortable in the seating position, with more open feel is more thrilling, and the layouts are newer and naturally more original than the original Morgan hypers, but I still do not feel much airtime difference between the old Morgans and the Diamond Back. Apollo's Chariot is a bit better, but not exactly the best airtime machine I have experienced either. The older none hyper B&Ms seem to be more intense and more fun from my experience .

I haven't ridden Phantom yet, but it looks really great. We're still contemplating stopping by Kennywood on our CP trip later this month, but I don't want to be balls to the wall busy and it's going to stretch us thin on time to relax and enjoy. Lightning run, although not a hyper, also looks great. I need to quit being lazy and drive four hours to KK.

You made a couple good points. The airtime is similar on the first half of Mamba to most B&M's, which is why I enjoy the first half and pretty much could care less about the 2nd half. As far as the back half goes, I've never been much for the rigid bunny hop returns of Morgans, despite the airtime they provide. You're probably right as far as B&M trains adding a lot to the experience.

I wonder if they're going to open a new restaurant soon? Seems like they're doing some renovations into this old restaurant that has been used as a storage building. I noticed last night that. I sure hope so our park desperately needs a new restaurant!

image.thumb.jpeg.46492d2869fda3d7034861e190212754.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a635270fdd4f1b84304292adb8d7ac8e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3a15833f365e47052d071dcbd7ba1d6b.jpeg

^ It used to be Calico's Fried Chicken for many many years. After it was closed, it was used for numerous different things... secondary season pass location, secondary first aid/ cooling station, storage, secondary kitchen and food prep location.... They've desperately needed to reopen this location for years, and from what I've heard now, because of the disaster in food service, it IS reopening as another restaurant..... but I haven't received exact word on what it will be, what it will serve, or how often it will be open

^ It used to be Calico's Fried Chicken for many many years. After it was closed, it was used for numerous different things... secondary season pass location, secondary first aid/ cooling station, storage, secondary kitchen and food prep location.... They've desperately needed to reopen this location for years, and from what I've heard now, because of the disaster in food service, it IS reopening as another restaurant..... but I haven't received exact word on what it will be, what it will serve, or how often it will be open

I just noticed on my last visit, as I was waiting for Fireball, the sign telling what lies ahead still has Calicos Chicken on it. I thought that was very odd.

Best thing I could see would make this a chicken place, and redo old Loney Tunes Cafe as just Go Fresh. One side can be to place orders with the other to pick them up.

The isn't the building that is being made into a HitP preview center is it?

I just noticed on my last visit, as I was waiting for Fireball, the sign telling what lies ahead still has Calicos Chicken on it. I thought that was very odd.

Best thing I could see would make this a chicken place, and redo old Loney Tunes Cafe as just Go Fresh. One side can be to place orders with the other to pick them up.

The isn't the building that is being made into a HitP preview center is it?

No the small building across from the Mine Train entrance is the preview center.

If the kitchen in former-Calicos has actually been in use to help produce food they could open a restaurant this year. I would expect anything not currently on a menu though. I'd imagine the turnaround on something new would be higher. It'd take some cash to open one if they weren't already using the building too.

Took my son to SFStL last Friday and Sunday because he was desperate to try the new Revolution experience. Here were our results...Arrived early Friday and used our gold passes for early entry. When we got to the Ninja they were having trouble getting the train out of the station and it did not open on time. The employee suggested we ride other rides and return later. An hour later another line had formed in anticipation of opening, my son joined the line with 60-75 people in front of him. The ride did open and since I don't ride Ninja anyway I went to the exit ramp to watch the new loading procedure. I don't know how many employees it took to run just the Ninja, but I counted at least 10 working up there Friday...one whose sole job seemed to be troubleshooting malfunctioning viewers. I timed how long it took to turnover a trainload and it ran anywhere from 4 to 11 minutes. These longer times had to do with adjusting the size of the headsets or having to replace a headset that went blank after everything seemed ready. As each load of passengers came down the exit ramp I heard at least one say "It didn't work for me."

Another major hassle was collecting lanyards from passengers who didn't participate in the Revolution, but apparently they had to wear a lanyard so employees new not to hand them a headset. Passengers with headsets realized they needed to turn them in at the exit but the lanyard only passengers seemed to forget they were wearing them.

On my son's train, nearly half of the passengers wearing headsets complained that nothing happened. They were the first of the day that I saw being allowed to immediately reboard the ride for another go. My son's headset didn't work on the second attempt either (this was a new headset as the first had already been turned in). He was unwilling to wait in an hour long line for a third try.

On Sunday my husband and son tried to ride again. They waited in line twenty minutes and the line never moved so they left.

Took my son to SFStL last Friday and Sunday because he was desperate to try the new Revolution experience. Here were our results...Arrived early Friday and used our gold passes for early entry. When we got to the Ninja they were having trouble getting the train out of the station and it did not open on time. The employee suggested we ride other rides and return later. An hour later another line had formed in anticipation of opening, my son joined the line with 60-75 people in front of him. The ride did open and since I don't ride Ninja anyway I went to the exit ramp to watch the new loading procedure. I don't know how many employees it took to run just the Ninja, but I counted at least 10 working up there Friday...one whose sole job seemed to be troubleshooting malfunctioning viewers. I timed how long it took to turnover a trainload and it ran anywhere from 4 to 11 minutes. These longer times had to do with adjusting the size of the headsets or having to replace a headset that went blank after everything seemed ready. As each load of passengers came down the exit ramp I heard at least one say "It didn't work for me."

Another major hassle was collecting lanyards from passengers who didn't participate in the Revolution, but apparently they had to wear a lanyard so employees new not to hand them a headset. Passengers with headsets realized they needed to turn them in at the exit but the lanyard only passengers seemed to forget they were wearing them.

On my son's train, nearly half of the passengers wearing headsets complained that nothing happened. They were the first of the day that I saw being allowed to immediately reboard the ride for another go. My son's headset didn't work on the second attempt either (this was a new headset as the first had already been turned in). He was unwilling to wait in an hour long line for a third try.

On Sunday my husband and son tried to ride again. They waited in line twenty minutes and the line never moved so they left.

I was actually the first one in that line at NR on Friday morning. How can you not have it running when the park opens? Especially when you are promoting a "new ride". I bitched to a Manager and got a ticket to bypass the line when it finally did open. Yeah....rode it 3 times in a row because the headsets never worked for one person on the entire train. Not once! I was done trying after those 3 attempts. The reason they gave me as to why it wasn't working....."the VR doesn't work when it's overcast, it has to be sunny." Yeah...can't wait to bake in the sun while waiting that 4-11 minutes for the train in front of me to leave the station.

#FAIL

I skipped Ninja at SFStL when I was there. I was on a strict three hour time budget and was much more interested in the budget-Holiday-World end of the spectrum with the three woodies and launch coaster (and we got a ride on the mine train because it had no line).

I don't know what VR would do to it since I didn't ride it but if I ever am back at SFStL I might give it a shot. Maybe the mediocre-at-worst visuals will give me a getaway from the mediocre-at-best ride.

I see this was your first post. Welcome to the forums.

I see this was your first post. Welcome to the forums.

And it was a good one.

I will.apparently avoid this hot mess.

I was actually the first one in that line at NR on Friday morning. How can you not have it running when the park opens? Especially when you are promoting a "new ride". I bitched to a Manager and got a ticket to bypass the line when it finally did open. Yeah....rode it 3 times in a row because the headsets never worked for one person on the entire train. Not once! I was done trying after those 3 attempts. The reason they gave me as to why it wasn't working....."the VR doesn't work when it's overcast, it has to be sunny." Yeah...can't wait to bake in the sun while waiting that 4-11 minutes for the train in front of me to leave the station.

#FAIL

Are all the SF parks experiencing this sorta thing?? Only works when it is sunny???? Good Lord! Ridiculous.

I love all the Holiday World billboards around town by the way. I hope many St Louisians will visit that park this season.