TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

And while waiting in line for it I frequently overhear people talking about how great it is that Six Flags has a family-friendly new ride like JL instead of another one of those huge roller coasters that the kids can't ride and the adults are afraid of.

You understand that you were in a line for an attraction targeted to families and that any opinions overheard could / would be slanted, correct? You were literally surrounded by a positive bias towards family rides.

Attendance likely boosted with JLBfM becuase the families' appeal of SFStL increased. SFStL did need a new major family attraction.

The VR headsets we are discussing must be worn on a coaster. How does one frightened of big rides get on the same coaster only with a VR headset?

JLBFM is a dark ride, a completely different discussion than VR replacing the creativity of coaster designs or their entirety. I know some people brought up an old fear in the last couple of pages that simulators would replace coasters, but they are irrelevant to another. Sure, parks might focus on adding more of these as technology allows more via digital sets, but clearly a market for large coasters will remain. The two have different demographics. Thrill seekers are not going anywhere. If a park is to remain an AMUSEMENT park and cater to more people than say Disney / Universal, they will provide rides for each demographic. Look at how many teenagers and families visit Six Flags and compare those figures to Disney / Universal.

Side note: physical sets and practical effects are far more impressive IMO than digitally created ones, however, I understand that is only my opinion and that we are seeing that digital effects can provide vastly more for at a much lesser difficulty and price. Theme/amusement parks are businesses and will use increasingly more computer-generated scences and effects in dark rides because it will provide the most ROI. It doesn't take rocket science to speculate such an idea. THAT is MY fear in terms of the future of dark rides but a businesses's dream.

Park is promoting a new option for dining on the weekend. They are offering an All you can eat buffet on Sat and Sun for lunch and dinner. Dining passes are accepted. Saturday is hamburgers and hot dogs. Sunday is chicken fingers and hot dogs.

This is probably an attempt to lower the wait times for food.

Park is promoting a new option for dining on the weekend. They are offering an All you can eat buffet on Sat and Sun for lunch and dinner. Dining passes are accepted. Saturday is hamburgers and hot dogs. Sunday is chicken fingers and hot dogs.

We did that Mother's day weekend on Sunday. Problem was, the food had obviously been sitting out so long that it wasn't very fresh.

That's not a bad idea honestly! Good for them to coming up with the best solution available.

A very good idea, except for this little tidbit.......

the food had obviously been sitting out so long that it wasn't very fresh.

Buffets never go over well unless the food is fresh.

Where is this at? I didn't notice this on Sunday when I was out there.

Just pulled into our hotel in gurnee. Going to spend the weekend up here. My daughters friend happens to tell us she hasn't gotten her season pass processed yet. Nice way to start off the weekend.

If you mean that she's only got the pass printed, then it only takes a few seconds at the gate to do it.

It was purchased through st.Louis.

Not sure what you're trying to say, but it looks to me as if you think your daughters friend will have a problem. If I remember correctly, you just download the Six Flags app, then just scan the pass.

Where is this at? I didn't notice this on Sunday when I was out there.

At the pavilion near the front of the park. Across from first cone.

just rode the Ninja VR. Few comments:

The capacity is greatly lowered. It took forever for the cars to dispatch. When I rode it, I liked the Experience, but at the end, I ended up sitting on the brakes in the hot sun with my friends for a while (Maybe 7 minutes).

The Capacity is my only complaint with the experience. Today is Season Pass preview. When it opens tomorrow, the line will be horrible.

The capacity is greatly lowered. It took forever for the cars to dispatch. When I rode it, I liked the Experience, but at the end, I ended up sitting on the brakes in the hot sun with my friends for a while (Maybe 7 minutes).

The Capacity is my only complaint with the experience. Today is Season Pass preview. When it opens tomorrow, the line will be horrible.

Not to mention that its a holiday and bring a friend free weekend.

You couldn't pay me to go on a bring-a-friend day.

You couldn't pay me to go on a bring-a-friend day.

Eh. It's not bad. I've been paid to go on a dozen bring-a-friend free days.

Why are the TVs off in the Justice League queue this year? They greatly help make the line seem shorter.

They were on last week except for the one in the first queue room (it's not really needed since it will loop a minimum of two times in the second room). Maintenance might have forgotten to enable them in the morning as the are separate from Cyborg's audio and movement and the main screens and audio in the loading area.

Why are the TVs off in the Justice League queue this year? They greatly help make the line seem shorter.

They were on last week except for the one in the first queue room (it's not really needed since it will loop a minimum of two times in the second room). Maintenance might have forgotten to enable them in the morning as the are separate from Cyborg's audio and movement and the main screens and audio in the loading area.

They were also off on Saturday.

See this is the stuff Disney and Paramount/Cedar Fair get right. I don't mean to draw the comparison, but I do.

After an early Memorial Day BBQ, the SO and I went to ride New Revolution. We glanced at the ride at maybe 6:00, saw the line spilling past the gate, and decided to go with a "wait for more people to leave" strategy. Made a lap around the park, grabbed a pretzel, and tried to re-queue around 7:40.

Apparently the park has decided to move to a timed ticket system for TNR without posting any signage. We were told that tickets had been distributed for the day and that we couldn't queue up.

Maybe there are signs somewhere that I missed. It's certainly possible. I realize that what happened to us is pretty edge case-y, but changing the way lines work without notice is still a pretty obnoxious thing to do. I try to find silver linings for our scrappy little park, but sometimes it's hard.

I also like that Ninja isn't being time ticketed (only TNR). But they can't temporarily suspend Ninja while some TNR hype dies down since having more people with headsets would only further wreck dispatch times. I'm still excited about trying this but it's completely unsurprising that ride ops is having a hard time dealing.

I didn't feel like sticking around long enough to time dispatches.

See this is the stuff Disney and Paramount/Cedar Fair get right. I don't mean to draw the comparison, but I do.

It's the little stuff that adds up. I would love to see the park sounds turned back on in the Batman queue.

It's the little stuff that adds up. I would love to see the park sounds turned back on in the Batman queue.

The TVs in JL poofed while I was in line on opening day and haven't seen them back on since.

Speaking of Batman....I want the Prince music turned back on!!

All I want for Batman is to return both the Batmobile and the Police Car.

Nothing's more exciting than a fire hydrant in the middle of an empty bed of concrete

I agree!

I think we can all agree with this. The entire queue could use TLC in general anyway. The 'park' in front actually looks more run down than the 'slums' in back now in some ways.