TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

now is the time for Six Flags buy new trains from Vekoma

(for all parks)

Does that smooth these things out? Or are they crippled from the foundations on up? Any old coasters with new trains for reference?

these are the ones that come to mind with Vekoma trains.

then there are models not fitted the Vekoma trains.

In short, you can not have the old trains of 30 years

ELI5- What is likely happening with the 4th car. Is this an actual derailment? Someone mentioned brake fins but I guess I don't get how that could be strong enough to do THAT.

It appears to be an actual derailment of car 4 and it looks like it impacted the alignment of car 3 as well, but I did suggest the brake fin impact just because that seems like the most obvious thing that would experience a sudden impact. I do believe that is enough to derail the car since those fins are made to be strong and handle a lot of force during braking. I am not a Vekoma expert so it is just speculation but that seems like the most sensible explanation. I mean there is a chance it was a more significant issue, in which case they are lucky it occurred like this and didn't end up being an Edmonton Mall Mindbender type incident.

That was my guess as well. That the brakes caused the derailment from the force of the abrupt stop. I am sure we will find out more in due time.

I'm not sure I get blaming it on the train. It's not like they just left the train alone for 30 years to rot...I am sure it's been rebuilt from the ground up numerous times in its life.

This accident made me curious to see how a Boomerang operates going up the chain lift. Robb's footage of Zoomerang at Lake Compounce shows this with good detail in the reverse POV (

). The moment the train passes the set of brakes after the loop, the brakes close. The train then hooks onto the chain and gets pulled up the lift. But interestingly, when the chain "drops", the brakes don't start opening until the moment the train approaches. Seems like very little room for error (for the train to avoid being slowed/stopped).

Not speculating about the cause of the accident, just examining how a Boomerang operates..

edit:

Also interesting to compare an Arrow vs. Vekoma train engaging/disengaging the chain:

- The Arrow train wobbles and and has some lateral movement:

- The Vekoma train is completely smooth:

edit:

Also interesting to compare an Arrow vs. Vekoma train engaging/disengaging the chain:

This is probably nothing, but I believe the chain dog that "catches" the chain is on either Car 3 or 4 (the ones that derailed). From the SFStL (Arrow) video, you can see just how much the train wobbles at those two cars when it catches. Any link?

The Vekoma train is completely smooth

Oh how I wish this was true for all Vakomas. I skip boomerang every time i'm at SF:DK if im that far back into the park I'd much rather check out the animals or ride the rapids.

edit:

This is probably nothing, but I believe the chain dog that "catches" the chain is on either Car 3 or 4 (the ones that derailed). From the SFStL (Arrow) video, you can see just how much the train wobbles at those two cars when it catches. Any link?

That is a very interesting observation, and I could easily see it causing additional stress on the train. Whether it has any connection to yesterdays incident or not will be pure speculation at this point, but it's definitely interesting.

On a semi-related note, I got to try the new Vekoma trains with west restraint on the Boomerang at Walibi Holland last weekend, and I must say it was one hell of an improvement. No it didn't magically turn it into a fantastic ride, but it was far less uncomfortable. I could see a lot of rides benefiting from these trains.

I wonder if something happened with the chain dog. Maybe it tried to catch the chain but missed for some reason? Maybe because of that, cars 3 and 4 were -just- misaligned enough to cause the derailment on the way back down.

So I have to ask - Is it possible for a rollercoaster to stop while upside down?

Sure is. It happened on Demon at my home park, SFGAm, in 1998. A guide wheel broke off an axle of a car, and the train stopped upside down in a loop. Some passengers were stuck up there for a few hours, and all had to be rescued by emergency personnel. No major injuries, and the train did exactly what it should have, considering a wheel broke off. No derailment occurred, consequently.

image.jpeg.583f4b5328d47be119d22a15ae5d1ed2.jpeg

So I have to ask - Is it possible for a rollercoaster to stop while upside down?

Sure is. It happened on Demon at my home park, SFGAm, in 1998. A guide wheel broke off an axle of a car, and the train stopped upside down in a loop. Some passengers were stuck up there for a few hours, and all had to be rescued by emergency personnel. No major injuries, and the train did exactly what it should have, considering a wheel broke off. No derailment occurred, consequently.

I'm sure I would have literally pooped myself if I were in that train or in Boomerang when it ground to a halt, but honestly, it's somewhat comforting that no one is getting seriously hurt. "The wheels fell off" is one of those things that sounds ridiculously catastrophic.

PS yes doing that to The Boss would be a good thing.

I'm sure I would have literally pooped myself if I were in that train or in Boomerang when it ground to a halt, but honestly, it's somewhat comforting that no one is getting seriously hurt. "The wheels fell off" is one of those things that sounds ridiculously catastrophic.

PS yes doing that to The Boss would be a good thing.

I'm sure it was scary. They each got a nice settlement in the Demon incident, I believe $30k. Good to know that coasters are normally very safe though, because yes, the wheel coming off could absolutely be catastrophic if it were not for the safety systems stopping the ride. The Mindbender and Fujin Ragin accidents show just how catastrophic it can be when axles/wheels come off (though those were both due to lack of proper maintenance of the rides).

It's interesting to think at some point there was a potential layout for an iron-horsed Boss. I wonder just how much of the structure had been torn away for Six Flags to be like "nah we're good"

On SFSTL budget? I think the design was something like the first drop leading into the break run, with the rest of the ride getting the SOB treatment...

At the park today. Is Batman's second train running?

The line comes out in front of the wall so I'm not dealing with that if it is one train.

Unless something happened, the single train thing was right at the start of the season when the train was being refurbed.

You really should be able to tell just by watching the ride for 5-10 minutes. Turning a train over takes a few minutes. If it's running two trains, there will be a very long delay between dispatches.

Very crowded and busy today but that was expected. Hit all major rides and even got 3 rides on freeze and 3 on boss. (Boss is an absolute BEAST, 3 trains, an epic ride time, and a truely amazing layout) Certain ride lines were outrageous and the food lines... I do not even know how to beinng to explain how slow and untrained the people are. /: Also experienced a lot of groups cutting and then getting very angry with others when they were called out. Today was great but I cannot wait gor my fall, GP free visit.

Very crowded and busy today but that was expected. Hit all major rides and even got 3 rides on freeze and 3 on boss. (Boss is an absolute BEAST, 3 trains, an epic ride time, and a truely amazing layout) Certain ride lines were outrageous and the food lines... I do not even know how to beinng to explain how slow and untrained the people are. /: Also experienced a lot of groups cutting and then getting very angry with others when they were called out. Today was great but I cannot wait gor my fall, GP free visit.

Not sure what food line you were on but we got to JB's at about 6pm. The line was relatively short and we got our food in a timely manner. No problems. The lines for rides were definitely long but that's because the park was crowded. Nothing struck me as unusual.

Not sure what food line you were on but we got to JB's at about 6pm. The line was relatively short and we got our food in a timely manner. No problems. The lines for rides were definitely long but that's because the park was crowded. Nothing struck me as unusual.

I know nothing unusual.. Food lines at about 2 were, 45 minutes at the least.

The food lines are a big problem. They sold so many Dining Passes because they could. What they didn't do, was the math. They don't have enough support to supply the demand. It's beyond frustrating. And to think...it's about to be a whole lot busier. Good times!!

I've seen JBs line stretch all the way out past the star on the walkway at Freeze and JL. People waited over an hour just to get to the register. It's a popular place due to location, good food and a bar (with Sports). They really need to reconfigure it to allow more registers. But then you have to have the support behind it. It's not working at all right now.

The food lines are a big problem. They sold so many Dining Passes because they could. What they didn't do, was the math. They don't have enough support to supply the demand. It's beyond frustrating. And to think...it's about to be a whole lot busier. Good times!!

I've seen JBs line stretch all the way out past the star on the walkway at Freeze and JL. People waited over an hour just to get to the register. It's a popular place due to location, good food and a bar (with Sports). They really need to reconfigure it to allow more registers. But then you have to have the support behind it. It's not working at all right now.

It's crazy that they cannot get it to work, because I've yet to have a problem with the Cedar Fair dining plan -- and hasn't SF had their's longer?