TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

Some type of incident at involving Boomerang

http://www.kmov.com/story/31910894/3-injured-when-six-flags-ride-stopped-mid-point

ST. LOUIS (KMOV.com) – Three people received medical attention for minor injuries after a ride at Six Flags St. Louis stopped mid-point Friday.

According to officials, just before 11:30 a.m., ambulances were dispatched to the park after the Bommerang stopped at a mid-point location. After the ride stopped, guests were able to safely exit the ride and the park’s first aid staff responded to treat those injured.

Six Flags released the following statement after the incident occurred:

"Boomerang did not complete its normal ride cycle causing it to stop at a mid-point location where all guests safely exited the ride. Our First Aid staff responded immediately and three guests were transported to a local medical facility as a precautionary measure. The safety of our guests is our top priority and the ride will be closed for a thorough inspection before re-opening"

According to authorities, officials from the Eureka Police Department, EMS and the fire department were called to the park.

That's what happens when you buy a 26 year old used vehicle.....stuff breaks.

Bring in the demolition crews!!!

Scary incident, thankfully not any worse than it was. All Safety, Security, Emergency responder, management, and ride crew did a great job handling the situation... kudos

Edited by parkjunkie

Some type of incident at involving Boomerang

http://www.kmov.com/story/31910894/3-injured-when-six-flags-ride-stopped-mid-point

ST. LOUIS (KMOV.com) – Three people received medical attention for minor injuries after a ride at Six Flags St. Louis stopped mid-point Friday.

According to officials, just before 11:30 a.m., ambulances were dispatched to the park after the Bommerang stopped at a mid-point location. After the ride stopped, guests were able to safely exit the ride and the park’s first aid staff responded to treat those injured.

Six Flags released the following statement after the incident occurred:

"Boomerang did not complete its normal ride cycle causing it to stop at a mid-point location where all guests safely exited the ride. Our First Aid staff responded immediately and three guests were transported to a local medical facility as a precautionary measure. The safety of our guests is our top priority and the ride will be closed for a thorough inspection before re-opening"

According to authorities, officials from the Eureka Police Department, EMS and the fire department were called to the park.

So I am assuming since it appearently jumped the tracks that it will not be open tomorrow?

@viking86- You're right, didn't even catch that. So at what point is it fair to say "I know about safety standards and the copious amount of testing done to rides, but this ride in particular is obviously old, falling apart, and I don't want to be the next victim"?

ELI5- What is likely happening with the 4th car. Is this an actual derailment? Someone mentioned brake fins but I guess I don't get how that could be strong enough to do THAT.

It appears to be an actual derailment of car 4 and it looks like it impacted the alignment of car 3 as well, but I did suggest the brake fin impact just because that seems like the most obvious thing that would experience a sudden impact. I do believe that is enough to derail the car since those fins are made to be strong and handle a lot of force during braking. I am not a Vekoma expert so it is just speculation but that seems like the most sensible explanation. I mean there is a chance it was a more significant issue, in which case they are lucky it occurred like this and didn't end up being an Edmonton Mall Mindbender type incident.

And now, for something totally random here...

Happy 30th Birthday Ninja!

The coaster started out here in Vancouver, in the rides lineup at our 1986 World's Fair, EXPO86.

Then the fair closed, and the coaster went to your park. Sorry about that.

And EXPO86 is just celebrating it's 30th Birthday these past couple of weeks, so...

Happy-B Ninja!

Expo86Coaster.jpg.6e1eb1d45071d26f3737f3eb4c92fda0.jpg

1986 - "Scream Machine" with downtown in the background, EXPO86.

Edited by Nrthwnd

And now, for something totally random here...

Happy 40th Birthday Ninja!

The coaster started out here in Vancouver, in the rides lineup at our 1986 World's Fair, EXPO86.

Then the fair closed, and the coaster went to your park. Sorry about that.

And EXPO86 is just celebrating it's 40th Birthday these past couple of weeks, so...

Happy-B Ninja!

UM......hmmmm......... WRONG.... that math is WAAAAY off.... 30 years, not 40..... but thanks for playing..... but we have a wonderful consolation prize for you.... you can have it back and we'll throw in Boomerang for ya"

Edited by parkjunkie

^ Oh crap.

Fixed. And I'll stand by saying, it's my AGE, so

By the way, everybody here thought the coaster was going to head to our

park, Playland(PNE), once the fair ended...

Guess we got lucky.

It would make sense that the amount of braking force required to bring that train from 45/50 mph a dead stop would cause the train to buckle in the middle. Those have to be some STRONG brakes. Still not as bad as that one boomerang incident in Mexico where its last car coupler sheer off when its train stopped midcourse sending that one car around the course and into the station.

now is the time for Six Flags buy new trains from Vekoma

(for all parks)

Does that smooth these things out? Or are they crippled from the foundations on up? Any old coasters with new trains for reference?