TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

It befuddles me how more parks in the U.S. haven't installed mega lite/hyper gtx type of rides. They get rave reviews and are relatively low cost. I guess they're hard to market for big parks, and maybe too expensive for smaller parks. I think SFStl is a great candidate for this type of ride though. They'll finally get their "hyper"

I think that is the issue. I was actually really expecting Holiday World to get one before announcing Thunderbird, or for Knoebels to consider one before announcing Impulse.

I feel like those are the kinds of parks that could benefit from one, but they both have full size steel coasters now.

A question that I always have is why not add eurofighters? Dare Devil Dive cost around 9 million I believe, its a good thrilling attraction, and relatively small. The only downside is the capacity. Is there a specific reason they dont add more?

Have you ever ridden a eurofighter? I have been on Dare Devil Dive at Six Flags Over Georgia and I found the ride incredibly underwhelming. I have seen posts from many other enthusiasts who share this opinion.I would legitimately compare the thrills to Tony Hawk or whatever it is called now. Also, there are a ton of complaints about capacity in larger parks, which I still consider SFSTL to be when compared to smaller boardwalk parks.

I really don't even know what ride would fit well with our park at this point, considering my intuition tells me SF wouldn't invest another 20 million in this park. A hyper is out of the question. I still feel like an Iron Horse Boss would be the most logical route to take. It would fill the void of the large drop/modern steel thrilling coaster. Unfortunately, I feel that this is also out of our price range.

The New Texas Giant's cars were made from the same company that makes Eurofighters. In 2013, a woman died due to a failure in the lap bar

I wouldn't call it a 'lap bar failure' in the traditional meaning. The lap bars were unable to compensate for the disgustingly obese rider. Sorry if that's not PC to say, but I feel that it's the direct truth.

It should also be pointed out that after being sued, Six Flags then joined the victims family in a lawsuit against Gerstlauer.

This was probably more of a move out of strategic necessity than anything else. More or less they avoid liability by joining in the fight. Although it's easy to be disgusted as Six Flags for doing this, the precedent has been set by others long ago. Unfortunately, it wounded a relationship between Six Flags and Gerstlauer.

Edited by prozach626

^I think DDD is a really solid ride although it may not be as intense as some would expect. It still has the beyond vertical drop, two inversions with heavy positive Gs and great hang time in the barrel roll. It's very smooth too.

I think it would be a great fit for the park as long as the capacity issue is addressed. DDD suffers from a single loading dock. Mystery Mine has 3 loading docks and more blocks throughout the ride which makes its capacity much more respectable.

If not a Eurofighter, maybe an Infinity Coaster is in the budget. It would definitely fill a good role in terms of the types of coasters the park offers.

A question that I always have is why not add eurofighters? Dare Devil Dive cost around 9 million I believe, its a good thrilling attraction, and relatively small. The only downside is the capacity. Is there a specific reason they dont add more?

If SFSTL is going to spend $9-10 million on a coaster, I'd much rather see them get something like a Chance Hyper GT-X. Lightning Run at KK only cost $7 million and from all accounts, it's a terrific ride. Eurofighters are fun, but the capacity issues keep them from being in larger parks. I don't think we will see SF install more of them after their experience with DDD. An Intamin Meglite would be another great choice for SFSTL and I think they run about $10 million. Mack and Premier are also making some fun new coasters than don't break the bank. So there are some great options out there for the park if a $20 million B&M is out of the question.

I was actually going to ask about these models (because imo they look very good)but didn't because they have never been installed at a SF, so I just saved myself some time. I also have to ask what about the T-Rex track and what will give it more/better potential than a regular coaster?

Just going to throw this out there. Allegedly a building permit with a height limit in the 250-300 foot range was talked about last October with the city of Eureka. The source of this info is a Eureka firefighter that also works with building and zoning. Not sure if this is accurate at all but could be interesting.

Just going to throw this out there. Allegedly a building permit with a height limit in the 250-300 foot range was talked about last October with the city of Eureka. The source of this info is a Eureka firefighter that also works with building and zoning. Not sure if this is accurate at all but could be interesting.

Here comes that "world's tallest mule-go-round" rumor again

Here comes that "world's tallest mule-go-round" rumor again

Ugh!

You know we will end up with one of those Zac Spin deals... last summer there was an online Survey I took that had one of those coasters in it, and I believe Great Adventure's survey as well. Well... they got one and I believe SFSTL is next.

"Zac spin" >>> Larson Giant Loop

Just saying

That's not the point though. The point is it's been years since the park has built a major custom steel coaster, and even if the free spins are decent rides, it still leaves the glaring hole in the lineup and, more importantly for some, makes it even less likely to happen anytime soon after.

While I don't disagree that our most likely addition is an S&S freespin, this building permit shows that the park has different options on the table. Generally each SF park has 2 or 3 possibilities going into each season that are solidified by early to mid summer. So just because we all may be thinking an S&S is what's coming, it hasn't been decided yet for sure, and the park still has its options.

Anyway, where could one go? The Ninja likely won't be leaving.

There's a decent amount of room in the north east corner of the park; knock down Tidal Wave (and maybe that cotton candy and games stand if you need the space for more queue). The company also owns a ridiculous amount of land around the park. I think they have something like twice the area of the park proper. There are limits to how big a park like Six Flags should construct walking paths, but certainly running track into otherwise undeveloped areas is feasible.

EDIT: apparently nope lol. See below.

I wouldn't call it a 'lap bar failure' in the traditional meaning. The lap bars were unable to compensate for the disgustingly obese rider. Sorry if that's not PC to say, but I feel that it's the direct truth.

I love it when that "politically correct to treating people with respect" extension pays off.

Hint: it isn't the word "obese" that's the problem with your description.

Edited by Baelfael

^about the land, Six Flags recently sold half of it. They now own the land at the park up to the firehouse.

Why sell it? Now if they ever want to expand they will have to rebuy land. Short term gain, long term loss.

I love it when that "politically correct to treating people with respect" extension pays off.

Right?! I think it's extremely poor taste to refer to someone who is no longer living as 'disgustingly obese'. And you're right, people like to use the whole 'not being PC' as an excuse to insult people.

^about the land, Six Flags recently sold half of it. They now own the land at the park up to the firehouse.

Why sell it? Now if they ever want to expand they will have to rebuy land. Short term gain, long term loss.

There will be no rebuying that land. It is being used for a housing development. Why keep land that isnt being used or will not likely be used when you can sell it for cash for other projects. The park is not going to be in any danger of running out of land anytime soon they still have plenty left over.

I'm so glad I'm not one of these people who goes around looking for things to be offended about all the time or looking for problems in the words people use to describe things. That would be so damn exhausting...

A bit dramatic, I dont think it's that serious

There will be no rebuying that land. It is being used for a housing development. Why keep land that isnt being used or will not likely be used when you can sell it for cash for other projects. The park is not going to be in any danger of running out of land anytime soon they still have plenty left over.

Great now they'll have to deal with "NIMBY" idiots

I'd be interested to see a map of what they currently own after the sale of that eastern chunk of land. I always wondered what the plan was gonna be if/when they decided to develop it. They only had that small strip of land by Tidal Wave to connect to the other property. Seems like the feng shui would've been thrown off.