TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

HWFan, I'm really not "furious", that is always my preferred handle on forums, xbox, etc. It was stolen from a character name in the movie Mystery Men (an average at best film with some great character names).

BfM just frustrates me as we always go out of our way to get to the park early, get in early, go straight to it so the kids can ride it before the line reaches absurd status, and each time it's not running. So we end up having to skip it. By the time we realize it's up again, the line is insane.

I think my real frustration stems from three issues. 1) shouldn't the rides be past inspection and ready to ride at opening? 2) What is the point of early entry if you can't ride anything? 3) the lack of information sent to the patrons waiting in a non moving line for 30 minutes is deplorable and only breeds misinterpreted formation and mistrust. Other parks keep you "In the loop" so you can make an informed decision. If it's "going to be a while"... then tell us!

I was emailed a survey, and I'll follow through their. Love the discourse on here btw...

Daily inspections start before park open, but if maintenance is working on them past open time, they still need to be reinspected, just as if an e-stop was made or a breakdown. The only rides that may get inspected last minute or "late" would be the ones in the back due to the time it takes guests to get to them.... They generally work front to back. Early entry is to keep the front gates and metal detection free flowing and not backed up and relieve them of pressure... large crowds packed together like that in the front are a security and safety risk... And they also do it to make a few sales in the front mall area and drink stands so that when the gates do open, the lines for those stands don't block the way of all those guests trying to come in and slow down the entry process. As far as informing the guests of non moving lines, some rides do not have speakers... Yes, I agree they should have workers at those rides verbally face to face letting the guests know, and I have no idea why they do not. But I do know at rides that do have speakers, they generally do inform.

HWFan.... Anything I forgot here?

Every other Six Flags I have been to, and entered early with my Gold Pass, you were able to ride the rides immediately. You didn't just que up for them in line. It's frustrating that our park has to be different.

LOL. That is so SFStl. I don't think it makes me happier as a patron to hear that something billed as a perk for pass holders is really just something to benefit the park itself. Wow.

In regards to the clone situation, that doesn't bother me too much, depending on the ride cloned. American Thunder is a great coaster regardless of whether or not it's cloned. Same for freeze and batman (at the time). What I don't want ever again is a coaster to be moved here from another park. That's just insulting. "Here's a coaster nobody liked at park A, but you donkeys are so hungry for anything new that you are sure to love it...and by the way...you have probably already ridden it before at seven other parks". I'll admit that it looks nice in the park, it's just a terrible ride.

Been noticing a ton of Holiday World ads on the highways. In fact is a regular billboard followed immediately by a digital one on 170 south. Also heard a survey as we entered the park Sunday asking if patrons sphere considering visiting SDC or HW this year. I feel like SFSTL might be feeling the hear a little bit.

Been noticing a ton of Holiday World ads on the highways. In fact is a regular billboard followed immediately by a digital one on 170 south. Also heard a survey as we entered the park Sunday asking if patrons sphere considering visiting SDC or HW this year. I feel like SFSTL might be feeling the heat a little bit.

They should be feeling the heat, HW just added the world's first launched wing coaster (which I hear is awesome), and SDC is supposed to be getting a major B&M next year. SFSTL really needs a new steel coaster to keep up with the competition.

Been noticing a ton of Holiday World ads on the highways. In fact is a regular billboard followed immediately by a digital one on 170 south. Also heard a survey as we entered the park Sunday asking if patrons sphere considering visiting SDC or HW this year. I feel like SFSTL might be feeling the heat a little bit.

They should be feeling the heat, HW just added the world's first launched wing coaster (which I hear is awesome), and SDC is supposed to be getting a major B&M next year. SFSTL really needs a new steel coaster to keep up with the competition.

Problem is, HW and SDC are willing to drop 20+ million for a single attraction while Six Flags is not. It'll be interesting what they decide to install because I dont think an S&S 4D will be enough to compete with Thunderbird and/or whatever B&M SDC has in store.

It'll be interesting what they decide to install because I dont think an S&S 4D will be enough to compete with Thunderbird and/or whatever B&M SDC has in store.

I'm really not trying to sound condescending, but I say that I don't think SF intends to compete with any of the close surrounding parks.

Problem is, HW and SDC are willing to drop 20+ million for a single attraction while Six Flags is not. It'll be interesting what they decide to install because I dont think an S&S 4D will be enough to compete with Thunderbird and/or whatever B&M SDC has in store.

This was discussed in detail a while ago. Six Flags draws mostly a local crowd. I and my family go out there because it's fun, close, we have paid for admission passes, and having paid for meal passes, we get a whole day's food at no additional charge. Sure, I might have in the back of my mind, "boy, I wish SFStL had that wing coaster that Holiday World has!" But you know what? I'm definitely NOT thinking "well, if I drove 400 miles round trip instead of 60 miles round trip, and then coughed up admission for four, I could ride a better coaster!" I don't have the time or money to do that. So Six Flags it is. The other parks are too far away and too much additional money for more than once a year, if even that. There isn't as much competition as you think.

It'll be interesting what they decide to install because I dont think an S&S 4D will be enough to compete with Thunderbird and/or whatever B&M SDC has in store.

I'm really not trying to sound condescending, but I say that I don't think SF intends to compete with any of the close surrounding parks.

You're completely right. As unfortunate as it is. It would be really awesome if SDC, WOF, HW, and SFStL had their own little Midwest coaster war. At one point I thought WOF would step up their game to compete for the title of Missouri Coaster Capital. I was obviously wrong lol! In fact, I think you even called me out on that Prozach lol!

A question that I always have is why not add eurofighters? Dare Devil Dive cost around 9 million I believe, its a good thrilling attraction, and relatively small. The only downside is the capacity. Is there a specific reason they dont add more?

The New Texas Giant's cars were made from the same company that makes Eurofighters. In 2013, a woman died due to a failure in the lap bar

Ah I did not know they were made from the same company.. but isn't that a bit of stretch to shut down the while buying of Eurofighters? Wasn't the accident human error?

And I guess now that media day has happened, I can post this pic I took before testing yesterday afternoon:

image.thumb.jpeg.baa427c4bb697af0c01800b4ea0494c6.jpeg

They can hold the train at the very top like that indefinitely.

Also, the queue looks nice, is covered, and includes fans. The entrance and exit deck are both new with composite flooring. The exit deck in the same level as the midway, so the base isn't very noticeable while you're watching it.

Edited by HWFan

The New Texas Giant's cars were made from the same company that makes Eurofighters. In 2013, a woman died due to a failure in the lap bar

Ah I did not know they were made from the same company.. but isn't that a bit of stretch to shut down the while buying of Eurofighters? Wasn't the accident human error?

It should also be pointed out that after being sued, Six Flags then joined the victims family in a lawsuit against Gerstlauer.

But Mack and a few other manufacturers are making some great Eurofighter alternatives, so that type of coaster could still possibly be on the table for a Six Flags park.

Yes it was and considering Eurofighters have completely different restraint types and basically a flawless safety record, I don't think the NTAG incident is the reason they chain hasn't invested in more. DDD is a quality ride at a low cost and I have always thought one would make sense at SFStL. Capacity is a MAJOR issue though. At a park like SFOG, it really needs to have at least two MCBR blocks and probably three loading docks. DDD has one MCBR block and a single platform loading station which isn't realistic capacity for a park like SFOG or even one like SFStL.

I still think it would be a really great choice of addition but I would hope the capacity would be better.

I think the reason Six Flags hasn't invested in more is because of capacity and reliability. DDD is frequently down and having issues throughout the day, everyday. It's time consuming for maintenance and probably more costly than other rides.

A question that I always have is why not add eurofighters? Dare Devil Dive cost around 9 million I believe, its a good thrilling attraction, and relatively small. The only downside is the capacity. Is there a specific reason they dont add more?

If SFSTL is going to spend $9-10 million on a coaster, I'd much rather see them get something like a Chance Hyper GT-X. Lightning Run at KK only cost $7 million and from all accounts, it's a terrific ride. Eurofighters are fun, but the capacity issues keep them from being in larger parks. I don't think we will see SF install more of them after their experience with DDD. An Intamin Meglite would be another great choice for SFSTL and I think they run about $10 million. Mack and Premier are also making some fun new coasters than don't break the bank. So there are some great options out there for the park if a $20 million B&M is out of the question.

I don't understand why Six Flags hasn't installed a GT-X yet, other than not having dealt with Chance Rides yet. Do we know of their maintenance or their aging? From reports I've heard, they pull some good g-forces, and it would be reasonable to say they endure more wear (?).

Anyway, where could one go? The Ninja likely won't be leaving.

Edited by RollerManic

It befuddles me how more parks in the U.S. haven't installed mega lite/hyper gtx type of rides. They get rave reviews and are relatively low cost. I guess they're hard to market for big parks, and maybe too expensive for smaller parks. I think SFStl is a great candidate for this type of ride though. They'll finally get their "hyper"