TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

Except that Boomerang was hardly a prototype and had already run for 25 years in Dallas before we ever got it. That's like comparing apples to carburetors.

The lift system is a prototype system. Name one other Boomerang in the world that uses electric motors for the lift instead of hydraulic. I'll wait.

Except that Boomerang was hardly a prototype and had already run for 25 years in Dallas before we ever got it. That's like comparing apples to carburetors.

The lift system is a prototype system. Name one other Boomerang in the world that uses electric motors for the lift instead of hydraulic. I'll wait.

You'll be waiting a long time. I really and truly don't care what kind of lift system it has. Is it fun? Nope? Off to Screamin' Eagle.

Edited by ytterbiumanalyst

You'll be waiting a long time. I really and truly don't care what kind of lift system it has. Is it fun? Nope? Off to American Eagle.

It doesnt matter if you care or not, the basis of your argument is that Boomerang is just like every other Boomerang and can not be compared to JLBFM. In order to make a good solid argument for said point one must have basic technical knowledge of the ride system of SFSTL Boomerang and a regular Boomerang.

Thats a long road trip to avoid Boomerang. Lol

Universal? Disney? It may be a "prototype" for the manufacturer, but there are more complex dark rides that exist that run more reliably than this one.

Last time I checked Universal and Disney darkrides have blasters for gaming or ride vehicles similar to Justice League, not both.

Universal? Disney? It may be a "prototype" for the manufacturer, but there are more complex dark rides that exist that run more reliably than this one.

Last time I checked Universal and Disney dark rides have blasters for gaming or ride vehicles similar to Justice League, not both.

Toy Story mania was built in 2008 for nearly $80 million. It has 56 game screens and a duration of 5-6 minutes. JLBFM uses technology that already exists on other rides, built in 2015 for around $10 million with a track length of 524 ft. It's really not that innovative compared to rides currently available at Universal or Disney parks. SF just doesn't invest the money it could to ensure that its rides perform to an acceptable standard.

This "electric lift motor" you keep going on about is so unreliable only because SF does a lot of their engineering in house with only a few guys, so they don't have the ability to invest the time they should into one project to ensure it's running reliably. If they had hired a third party to come in and do it for a little more money it wouldn't have taken three years to get a boomerang running the way it should.

^^ I work as a maintenance mechanic, we have a machine enginered and built by a third party (which you seem to think makes it better by default). That piece of equipment took roughly 2 years to get dialed in (the machine runs more hours per year than a coaster does). 2 years of adjustment and trail and error to a machine that the manufacturer had built several of before. So answer me this. If it took 2 years to adjust a machine (that runs more hours per year than a coaster) engineered and built by a third party, is it really unacceptable for a roller coaster that just received a modification to the drive system and a new control system to take 3 years to dail in? No

^JLBFM and TSM was made by different manufacturers. Even if it's a combo of existing ride types, or it's a copy of a ride from a different manufacturers, it's still a prototype.

Anyway, I noticed that the hours for HITP was posted.

You must also factor in that Toy Story cars only spin, they can not tilt, roll, and change pitch to react to things happening on a screen. Toy Story more closely resembles the dark ride built at Knotts then it does Justice League since Justice League has the ability to not only spin but tilt and roll as well.

I realize that comparing sfstl to Disney, cedar fair, know else, etc is a waste of time. It's our park, it has its charm, and it's not great at any one thing. It does every aspect of amusement park average and respectably. But there are issues that bother me.

JLBFM is an albatross. Every ride in the park had a wait time of 20 minutes or less today (per experience and the app), however, with the line barely out of the door the wait time was listed at 130 minutes. WTH??!!

Also, it appears as though the employees are running the rides through their tests at 10:29 AM for a 10:30 AM opening. Several rides were not rideable at park opening (JLBFM and Pandemonium for sure), and I'm not sure what the perk of gaining early entrance into the park is for if you can't get one ride in before the masses descend. NOTHING runs until 10:30, period, and it isn't likes this at the other parks who have early entrance programs.

I greatly anticipate my trips to SDC and SFGA later this summer, and I'll trek back into SFSTL with average expectations later.

One last note, I've been lurking for about 200 pages now, and per earlier discussions I was hoping the boss was going to be smoother early in the season (when compared to my rides in the past). NOPE.

While I don't want to get into this argument regarding JLBM/Boomerang, I do have some factual information to add. In a week or two, JLBM will start to receive upgrades to its ride system from the manufacturer. I also would like to point out that Six Flags used a lot of the same companies that Universal used for rides like Transformers & Spiderman. If Transformers' Oceaneering vehicles are able to operate with such reliability, then certainly there is something unique and more complex about JLBM. Six Flags invested a lot of money into a great new ride, so they want the ride to be 100% reliable more than anyone. Saying that the issues are due to Six Flags not wanting to pay for it is just not true.

Obviously this is not an argument that will end up with both sides agreeing, so let's move on. I also remember a saying that applies to a lot of these statements that are lacking foundation: "When we assume things, it just makes an ass out of u & me," or something like that.

JLBFM is an albatross. Every ride in the park had a wait time of 20 minutes or less today (per experience and the app), however, with the line barely out of the door the wait time was listed at 130 minutes. WTH??!!

I can't tell if you're actually confused why this would be the case or just venting. If it's the former, I really don't think it has that much to do with downtime. Remember that BfM has a more or less rubbish capacity. 6 people (assuming ideal situations, which can't really happen) every minute or so, we'll be nice and round up, that's maybe 400 people per hour. Compare that to The Boss, which loads 24 in a train and dispatches them maybe every 2.5 minutes, we'll round up for the same reason. 600 people per hour? And that's probably the coaster (aside from maybe Pandemonium, with its non-trains) that's the slowest thanks to two trains on a very long track. Combine that with the only real e-ticket attraction that's friendly to kids of a certain height and still present buzz about the fancy new attraction...I hope you're not actually confused why BfM would have massive lines is what I'm saying.

I rode the railroad yesterday. Deer will get used to anything, won't they?

^ Great pic. It's crazy how many deer there are on park property; they're not shy either.

First trip of the year...used our gold pass for early entry (which should really be called "get in line first and hope rides start on time".

Waiting in line for JL...it's 10:52...and the ride hasn't stayed yet. Why did they install this POS? After all the hiccups from last year, I was praying this would be better this year. NOPE.

...One last note, I've been lurking for about 200 pages now...

Also, MrFurious, I wanted to say that my above post should in no way dismiss your complaints about your visit. Anyone can sit here and type, "well, [something about how you don't have a real reason to complain, etc]." You made the choice to spend some of your time and money at the park, both of which are very valuable. When you made that choice, you had certain expectations for your day. The fact that you, after 200 pages of lurking, chose to make an account for the first time (with the name being 'MrFurious') just to post about a bad experience at JLBM really shows how much it affected your day. If you didn't stop there while at the park, I would urge you to send in a web comment to Guest Relations (https://www.sixflags.com/stlouis/plan-your-visit/contact-us) and tell them about your experience. At the very least, your comment will go into a system which tracks compliments & complaints and will be viewed by department management and park management all the way up to the park president. The park would appreciate your feedback, and I want to make sure that your experience gets to the right people.

The only critters at the park more comfortable with people than the deer are the skunks. In all my time working there, I have gotten within a few feet of them and sometimes they come up to me haha. Essentially once the park closes it becomes a zoo, all the deer, raccoons, skunks, groundhogs, geese.... they're everywhere

There is definitely something to be said about people's absolute thrill of experiencing something new, however thrilling it may or may not be. Working at the STL Zoo, I have witnessed our two latest attractions (The new sea lion habitat a couple years back and the polar bear exhibit last summer) accumulate absurd wait times when they were first opened to the public. People will wait over an hour to see our polar bear, whether he is swimming or unfortunately sleeping. Basically what I'm saying is wait times will die down once the majority has experienced something, it's almost a universal concept, you can't fix people's desire to try something new. You don't always get what you want right away but that doesn't stop people from coming back.

HWFan, I'm really not "furious", that is always my preferred handle on forums, xbox, etc. It was stolen from a character name in the movie Mystery Men (an average at best film with some great character names).

BfM just frustrates me as we always go out of our way to get to the park early, get in early, go straight to it so the kids can ride it before the line reaches absurd status, and each time it's not running. So we end up having to skip it. By the time we realize it's up again, the line is insane.

I think my real frustration stems from three issues. 1) shouldn't the rides be past inspection and ready to ride at opening? 2) What is the point of early entry if you can't ride anything? 3) the lack of information sent to the patrons waiting in a non moving line for 30 minutes is deplorable and only breeds misinterpreted formation and mistrust. Other parks keep you "In the loop" so you can make an informed decision. If it's "going to be a while"... then tell us!

I was emailed a survey, and I'll follow through their. Love the discourse on here btw...

I'm not sure why anyone would expect anything other than a cloned coaster for this park. All of our past additions all the way back to Batman (excluding Boss) have been clones. SFSTL isn't exactly an original park when it comes to coasters.

BATMAN - mirrored clone

MR. FREEZE - mirrored clone

PANDEMONIUM - mirrored clone

ANERICAN THUNDER - mirrored clone

BOOMERANG - clone

I don't think anyone is expecting anything but the norm. However, given the choice I think a lot of us would pass on the 'sure thing' of a free spin coaster to take a chance at something even as mediocre as X-Flight. We're all well aware we're not getting the next Fury 325, or even the next Mako.

I'm not sure why anyone would expect anything other than a cloned coaster for this park. All of our past additions all the way back to Batman (excluding Boss) have been clones. SFSTL isn't exactly an original park when it comes to coasters.

BATMAN - mirrored clone

MR. FREEZE - mirrored clone

PANDEMONIUM - mirrored clone

ANERICAN THUNDER - mirrored clone

BOOMERANG - clone

I missed this last time I responded to the thread and I'm curious. Some of the list is pretty inarguable (Boomerang lol meme here), but is there anyone who is seriously bothered by American Thunder being a clone? The number of people who have been to SFStL and Powerpark has to number in the double digits at best, right?

In a completely hypothetical scenario, would anyone here really be upset if SFStL got a copy of (choosing arbitrarily) The Smiler or some currently European only B&M?

I mean, I guess you could be upset about getting The Smiler since you may get whacked in the head with a stray bolt or something, but lets take that out of the equation.

Is Mr. Freeze:RB running now? Planning on taking my first trip of the year this Sunday since Chicago is supposed to be rained out the entire weekend. (no Goliath for me )Reason I wanna know is because I'm bringing a friend who, when the last time he went, was not able to ride MF:RB due to it being down.

Is Mr. Freeze:RB running now? Planning on taking my first trip of the year this Sunday since Chicago is supposed to be rained out the entire weekend. (no Goliath for me )Reason I wanna know is because I'm bringing a friend who, when the last time he went, was not able to ride MF:RB due to it being down.

Yes, it should be running.

HWFan, I'm really not "furious", that is always my preferred handle on forums, xbox, etc. It was stolen from a character name in the movie Mystery Men (an average at best film with some great character names).

BfM just frustrates me as we always go out of our way to get to the park early, get in early, go straight to it so the kids can ride it before the line reaches absurd status, and each time it's not running. So we end up having to skip it. By the time we realize it's up again, the line is insane.

I think my real frustration stems from three issues. 1) shouldn't the rides be past inspection and ready to ride at opening? 2) What is the point of early entry if you can't ride anything? 3) the lack of information sent to the patrons waiting in a non moving line for 30 minutes is deplorable and only breeds misinterpreted formation and mistrust. Other parks keep you "In the loop" so you can make an informed decision. If it's "going to be a while"... then tell us!

I was emailed a survey, and I'll follow through their. Love the discourse on here btw...

Daily inspections start before park open, but if maintenance is working on them past open time, they still need to be reinspected, just as if an e-stop was made or a breakdown. The only rides that may get inspected last minute or "late" would be the ones in the back due to the time it takes guests to get to them.... They generally work front to back. Early entry is to keep the front gates and metal detection free flowing and not backed up and relieve them of pressure... large crowds packed together like that in the front are a security and safety risk... And they also do it to make a few sales in the front mall area and drink stands so that when the gates do open, the lines for those stands don't block the way of all those guests trying to come in and slow down the entry process. As far as informing the guests of non moving lines, some rides do not have speakers... Yes, I agree they should have workers at those rides verbally face to face letting the guests know, and I have no idea why they do not. But I do know at rides that do have speakers, they generally do inform.

HWFan.... Anything I forgot here?

Daily inspections start before park open, but if maintenance is working on them past open time, they still need to be reinspected, just as if an e-stop was made or a breakdown. The only rides that may get inspected last minute or "late" would be the ones in the back due to the time it takes guests to get to them.... They generally work front to back. Early entry is to keep the front gates and metal detection free flowing and not backed up and relieve them of pressure... large crowds packed together like that in the front are a security and safety risk... And they also do it to make a few sales in the front mall area and drink stands so that when the gates do open, the lines for those stands don't block the way of all those guests trying to come in and slow down the entry process. As far as informing the guests of non moving lines, some rides do not have speakers... Yes, I agree they should have workers at those rides verbally face to face letting the guests know, and I have no idea why they do not. But I do know at rides that do have speakers, they generally do inform.

HWFan.... Anything I forgot here?

Every other Six Flags I have been to, and entered early with my Gold Pass, you were able to ride the rides immediately. You didn't just que up for them in line. It's frustrating that our park has to be different.