TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

I just received the SFSTL passholder email newsletter. They just could not help themselves. They are referring to Fireball as a "coaster loop".

I just got that too, and had to roll my eyes. Sheesh.

How would you describe Fireball to a person that hasnt seen a ride like it before at a park or a carnival? You would describe it as a coaster loop, not a whole coaster only the loop. I see no issue here, they could be calling a looping coaster and running around saying come ride our tenth coaster like the other parks did last year, but their not.

I just thought it was funny that a number of people were pleasantly surprised that SFSTL did not market Fireball as another coaster, but then this. I have never seen a Larson loop referred to a as a coaster loop anywhere else.

I have not been to the park yet this year, but from the photos that have been posted it looks great up on the hillside. I am sure my kids and I will enjoy it. I like going upside down.

I just received the SFSTL passholder email newsletter. They just could not help themselves. They are referring to Fireball as a "coaster loop".

How would you describe Fireball to a person that hasnt seen a ride like it before at a park or a carnival? You would describe it as a coaster loop, not a whole coaster only the loop. I see no issue here, they could be calling a looping coaster and running around saying come ride our tenth coaster like the other parks did last year, but their not.

I just thought it was funny that a number of people were pleasantly surprised that SFSTL did not market Fireball as another coaster, but then this. I have never seen a Larson loop referred to a as a coaster loop anywhere else.

I have not been to the park yet this year, but from the photos that have been posted it looks great up on the hillside. I am sure my kids and I will enjoy it. I like going upside down.

Unfortunately it suddenly IS being advertised as a coaster... Commercials, promos, and in news articles.... I thought our PR and promos department was better than this, but that's my dumb fault for thinking that.... Leave it to SFSTL PR to do a dumb gimmicky promo..... Come on SFTSL PR, quit blowing smoke up people's butts, you ain't fooloin' anyone!

Almost every SF park that has installed this ride has referred to it as a coaster to some extent. You just have to ask yourself this:

WHO GIVES A SH*T?!?!?!

The stripper conversation in the Cedar Point thread is much more valuable conversation than sitting around and crying about how a relatively uninspiring new flat ride is referred to. When the marketing team is handed a lemon, what should they do with it?

Almost every SF park that has installed this ride has referred to it as a coaster to some extent. You just have to ask yourself this:

WHO GIVES A SH*T?!?!?!

The stripper conversation in the Cedar Point thread is much more valuable conversation than sitting around and crying about how a relatively uninspiring new flat ride is referred to. When the marketing team is handed a lemon, what should they do with it?

I completely understand your case, but in this case, just sell lemons.......

Unfortunately it suddenly IS being advertised as a coaster... Commercials, promos, and in news articles.... I thought our PR and promos department was better than this, but that's my dumb fault for thinking that.... Leave it to SFSTL PR to do a dumb gimmicky promo..... Come on SFTSL PR, quit blowing smoke up people's butts, you ain't fooloin' anyone!

I've only found one article that calls Fireball a roller coaster. (Its been copied and pasted on to have a dozen news sites but its the same article) Other articles (such at the St. Louis Post Dispatch) call it a thrill ride. The adds I've heard call it "The Ultimate Coaster Loop". Recent Facebook posts and Tweets for the park still dont call it a roller coaster. If this was to be coaster #10 they would be posting things such as #tencoasters and #mocoastercapital.

You're looking at Six Flags as a whole. You're not considering the people working in the marketing department who would prefer to keep their jobs.

Now as far as the screamscape news, I hate being right all the time. I can live with something like a Larson Loop with a hope that something decent is coming in the future. But, when you taunt us with one of those little generic free spin coasters, which just seems like a large flat, that may be more disappointing than the idea of the Blues getting knocked out in the first round of the playoffs... again. I'll take another year of being passed over in 2017 for even a slighter chance for thrilling steel in 2018, as opposed to getting a free spin and being passed over with near certainty for another five years. I was 12 years old when the last ride I was truly excited for opened in the park. Then, the park pissed all over it for me by turning it backwards. At this point, I may be in my forties before we get something that trills me again. I say again... Please pass us over. We'll take a chance at what's behind door #2.

You're looking at Six Flags as a whole. You're not considering the people working in the marketing department who would prefer to keep their jobs.

Now as far as the screamscape news, I hate being right all the time. I can live with something like a Larson Loop with a hope that something decent is coming in the future. But, when you taunt us with one of those little generic free spin coasters, which just seems like a large flat, that may be more disappointing than the idea of the Blues getting knocked out in the first round of the playoffs... again. I'll take another year of being passed over in 2017 for even a slighter chance for thrilling steel in 2018, as opposed to getting a free spin and being passed over with near certainty for another five years. I was 12 years old when the last ride I was truly excited for opened in the park. Then, the park pissed all over it for me by turning it backwards. At this point, I may be in my forties before we get something that trills me again. I say again... Please pass us over. We'll take a chance at what's behind door #2.

Could NOT agree with you more!

Those S&S Free Spins are a joke for a "major rollercoaster addition". I REALLY REALLY hope we're passed over for one of those. I don't get why the park can't get even a moved B&M or something? A free spin will yet again disappoint everyone even more than Blues being knocked out after a 3-1 series lead....

I find that Screamscape rumor interesting. I wonder what determines when a park gets "passed over" for a future attraction. And odd that they would get passed over and then get a bigger attraction the following year. Why not just give them the bigger attraction in the first place? It's not like they hold over capital from previous fiscal years in a savings account.

Anyhoo, while I think STL will end up with a 4D, it'd be nice to see the park get something unique. They have their fair share of clones already.

I find that Screamscape rumor interesting. I wonder what determines when a park gets "passed over" for a future attraction. And odd that they would get passed over and then get a bigger attraction the following year. Why not just give them the bigger attraction in the first place? It's not like they hold over capital from previous fiscal years in a savings account.

Anyhoo, while I think STL will end up with a 4D, it'd be nice to see the park get something unique. They have their fair share of clones already.

Yes, agree with all of this 100000% also.

I came back from Dollywood last week. WOW...for such a small park, they NAIL it. Only 6 coasters, but ALL very unique, well themed and well planned out. I would rather drive 8 hours for that, than 25 mins for 6 Flags. Not to mention, if 6 Flags WAS SMART...they'd make a big investment next year because Silver DOllar City is building a HUGE new coaster next year. So, to compete they'll need more than a cute little spinner.

Dbl post, sorry.

I thought Gert's Mystery Mine was/is genius. Why can't 6F add something like that? It's thrilling, yet kids can enjoy.

Also, the cost of the coaster itself is very low compared to other manufacturers.

If they want to stay on a low budget, an Infinity or Eurofighter of a larger than average size would be awesome and still way cheaper than that hyper that probably isn't going to happen.

I agree with you guys also about not wanting a freespin and hold off to get something better. 2017 may be a disappointment for some, but very exciting for others.... the one thing to know about the future attractions for SFSTL and a few other SF parks is that there are "options" out there for these parks and no EXACT confirmation is known yet. But following Prozachs 2017 2018 thoughts.... you're not far off with some of it... what will it be and when will be ????..... hmmm

Yaaasss!!! Preach, Prozach! Preach! I completely agree! I don't want a free spin!

What if the new attraction was a modified cookie cutter ride into a "different experience". For example....up the lift and roll over the first set of hills. Then drop into the enclosed building. Add strobes and lighting effects. Wa-La and SFSL just added another dark ride unique to chain.

What if the new attraction was a modified cookie cutter ride into a "different experience". For example....up the lift and roll over the first set of hills. Then drop into the enclosed building. Add strobes and lighting effects. Wa-La and SFSL just added another dark ride unique to chain.

I just burst out laughing when I read this

I'm not sure why anyone would expect anything other than a cloned coaster for this park. All of our past additions all the way back to Batman (excluding Boss) have been clones. SFSTL isn't exactly an original park when it comes to coasters.

BATMAN - mirrored clone

MR. FREEZE - mirrored clone

PANDEMONIUM - mirrored clone

ANERICAN THUNDER - mirrored clone

BOOMERANG - clone

So I've watched the videos of the free spins a few times and pondered. Yes, it would be great to be quote unquote passed over and get a massive, unique addition. But realistically, we know the chances of that are slim. I would be actually fairly happy if we got a free spin. Is it a hyper? No. But there really isn't anything like it in the midwest. It would be unique to our region, and would be a new steel coaster. While we all know what we want, we have to have realistic expectations. Would I rather have a hyper than a free spin? Duh. But I'd also rather have a free spin than a water slide or flying eagle flat. It's all relative, we don't want to turn into middle class kids that are jealous of the rich kids.

First trip of the year...used our gold pass for early entry (which should really be called "get in line first and hope rides start on time".

Waiting in line for JL...it's 10:52...and the ride hasn't stayed yet. Why did they install this POS? After all the hiccups from last year, I was praying this would be better this year. NOPE.

First trip of the year...used our gold pass for early entry (which should really be called "get in line first and hope rides start on time".

Waiting in line for JL...it's 10:52...and the ride hasn't stayed yet. Why did they install this POS? After all the hiccups from last year, I was praying this would be better this year. NOPE.

Its a prototype. Reliability issues are common with prototypes. (Thats why they are protptypes to prevent issues from occuring on future generations). Its running a lot better than it did last year. Apparently you have forgotten about the first two seasons of Boomerang. First season, had lots of downtime. Second season, still had lots of downtime but less than first season. Third season, ran fairly reliably with only a few minor issues. Beginning of fourth season, off to its best start of a season so far. It takes time to chase the majority of the Gremlins out of a system.