TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

What would surprise me more is a full line on the ninja

I was shocked on Saturday of opening weekend to see that Ninja actually had not only a full queue, but the line extended out the entrance by a few people. First time I've ever seen the entire queue being full. Thankfully this past Saturday it was back to being nearly a walk on.

I'm curious as to if The Ninja would be likely to get a renovation like SFOG is doing to their Ninja. I guess we will have to see how successful it is at SFOG to truly speculate, but its interesting none the less.

If any coaster gets new trains in the near future it would be Boomerang.

Whenever I ride Boomerang I'm struck by how rough the catch is on the "back" lift hill. Is that something endemic to the design (I've never ridden another Boomerang) or is it a quirk of our particular train/catch car?

If any coaster gets new trains in the near future it would be Boomerang.

Whenever I ride Boomerang I'm struck by how rough the catch is on the "back" lift hill. Is that something endemic to the design (I've never ridden another Boomerang) or is it a quirk of our particular train/catch car?

When Boomerang was relocated from SFOT, I believe they changed the catch mechanism, along with quite a few other changes like chopping the support structure for the lifts in half to fit into the hill. Talking with one of the park electricians about the new catch system, he said that was one of the reasons the ride opened so late but should be a better system in the long run.

As far as I know SFSTL's boomerang is the only one with this new style catch system though.

I don't know if I'd call it an "eyesore" but it definitely has been reinvented. The old version of the area had a falling apart Bumper Car house, a worn out Yo-Yo, and a Falling Star which needed a paint job badly (and a refurb). While I have no idea how any of the new rides fit the "Chicago" theme - they have helped revitalize the area. I think only 2 of the last few new additions have been placed in other areas of the park besides here (Tsunami and JL).

That part of the park north and west of the Mine Train used to be so peaceful and pretty, now its a rainbow eyesore of carnival rides and bad transplant coasters....

Depends on your definition of "eyesore". Personally I think it looks great compared to what used to be there. And as for "peaceful," I guess that's true if by "peaceful" you mean "nobody would go there because there's nothing worth riding".

Once... I mean if Tidal Wave is removed it essentially is a completely new area of the park within the last few years, minus the Eagle which isn't going anywhere. They have done a pretty good job redoing probably the most boring section of the park and transforming it into a very visually appealing area with quite a few good thrills.

That part of the park north and west of the Mine Train used to be so peaceful and pretty, now its a rainbow eyesore of carnival rides and bad transplant coasters....

Depends on your definition of "eyesore". Personally I think it looks great compared to what used to be there. And as for "peaceful," I guess that's true if by "peaceful" you mean "nobody would go there because there's nothing worth riding".

It was Old Chicago...a transitional area with the Dodge City bumper cars and some trees. Oh, the horror.

A crappy boomerang and a pointless fireball carnival ride that both feature every color on the spectrum are probably an improvement for most people, I guess...

Edited by MisterP

Orange is so pretty..

And more rides is automatically better. No matter how crappy they are.

Aesthetic beauty is pointless. This is Six Flags after all.

No one who spends money there (kids) cares about the fact that it was once a gorgeous park.

They just wants them some RIDES!!!!

Orange is so pretty..

No one who spends money there (kids) cares about the fact that it was once a gorgeous park.

This post is fantastically silly. Yes, people do, in fact, go to a theme park to ride RIDES. If you'd like to sit under trees with no rides, I'm sure there's a local public park in your area with some benches and trees and no RIDES that can accommodate you nicely, and you'll save the admission fee, too. And by the way, bumper cars is also a carnival ride; they have 'em at most carnivals I've been to.

Reductio ad absurdum. There are people who go to theme parks and don't ride anything. Perhaps their kids or grandkids want to ride. Perhaps they're coming to see a show (especially true of concert days). Perhaps they're performing, such as those cheerleader days. Trees make your day better. No one comes to a theme park just to sit under a tree. But those who do come to a theme park for any reason benefit from the presence of trees.

At the park took some pictures of fireball

Thank you for those fantastic pictures of the area, compared to my "ok I have less than 25 minutes to cover the entire park so I have to hurry" pictures from opening day. I really like the picture that shows Fireball with the train & station in front. Also, some may find it cheesy, but I freakin' love the "Great Balls of Fire" on the sign. But I have a cheesy sense of humor anyway.

Oh, and I'm glad to see that the new shade structure over the queue has been painted red!

Pictures are one thing, but I'm sure everything looks better in person. It definitely looks very new generation Six Flags.

I hope you get a chance to see the park this year. It really looks nice, colorful, and energized. I think that the Screamin' Eagle is the perfect backdrop to this area, because (as we addressed with the Bob Ross jokes), the white really makes the bright colors pop.

I don't know if I'd call it an "eyesore" but it definitely has been reinvented. The old version of the area had a falling apart Bumper Car house, a worn out Yo-Yo, and a Falling Star which needed a paint job badly (and a refurb). While I have no idea how any of the new rides fit the "Chicago" theme - they have helped revitalize the area. I think only 2 of the last few new additions have been placed in other areas of the park besides here (Tsunami and JL).

Dear PhantomPoster32, I'm glad to see that, even though we have fervently disagreed in the past, you are rational and fair too. Let's examine this more in-depth:

1. Old Chance Yo-Yo......Replaced by one of the first SkyScreamers (which I think is an insanely fun & cool ride, nothing near a carnival ride).

2. Bumper Cars......Their age meant that they had to at least be replaced. I'm not even a huge Boomerang fan, but I know that a lot of people really enjoy it. Plus, the way it interacts with the midway makes it one of the best Boomerang installations around.

3. Chance Falling Star......Holiday World had to get rid of their Falling Star (Banshee) a while ago when they added HallowSwings. The rides are a lot of fun but need more and more maintenance as they age. Banshee was sent to a park with a shorter operating season, as was RSF. If RSF had to be replaced, Fireball was the best option IMO. Also, it's around 30 feet taller than the traveling versions of the ride, so at least it's an upgrade.

Add the above to the general updates/upgrades that the buildings in the area received in the last few years and the end result is a truly reinvented area of the park that is more "alive" and even unique compared to other parts of the park.

Once... I mean if Tidal Wave is removed it essentially is a completely new area of the park within the last few years, minus the Eagle which isn't going anywhere. They have done a pretty good job redoing probably the most boring section of the park and transforming it into a very visually appealing area with quite a few good thrills.

Well said.

Orange is so pretty..

The fact that all of the 'colorful' rides are in one place is nice, isn't it? If there were/is a way to do this without seeming weird or disruptive, you should stand at the exits of the rides and ask the other Guests what they think of the area and rides. Also, the Scrambler & Carousel are both quintessential "carnival rides", but that doesn't make them any less fun. Speaking of kids, Bugs Bunny National Park is a really, really nice kids area I think. Nice (but not too much) national park-type theming and plenty of trees.

MisterP: I hope I didn't come off as attacking any of your posts, as adding your opinion to this discussion helps show other points of view, so thank you for at least making the forum more active. I hope you can enjoy some time in the park in the future, and if you see me there, please say hi so we can meet in person. Everyone who posts here does it because they have passionate feelings about the park, the industry, and your posts show that you must care about the park. I do too.

Anyway...it's off to work and another day of fun for thousands of Guests. Hopefully a few of you are among them.

What would surprise me more is a full line on the ninja

To be fair, there was a bit of weather that day and much of the crowd descended upon Justice League: Battle for Metropolis.

Ninja1.thumb.jpg.e5ea972ee08e15d00793242c8c4df126.jpg

June 17th, 2015 @ 1:32 pm

ninja.thumb.jpg.bb3c60ea3464c4e4e5aa34be050da8b8.jpg

June 17th, 2015 @ 12:59 pm

Orange is so pretty..

This is really funny to me. Of course they wanted more rides its a amusement park. We have already gone over the fact that we have some decent scenery but we also are not a THEME park like Disney. I'm sure the majority would much prefer new and thrilling rides, rather than leaving old ride in a "gorgeous" state, and remeber majority means more money for furture revambs and bringing the park into a more clean and beautiful state.

I know a while back Zach had asked about the park's healthy eating options. While people mentioned Go Fresh, I took a picture of the menu at the SFGAdv version so the food options could be reviewed in detail. I imagine the offerings should be similar to SFStL's, as well as other SF parks.

image.thumb.jpeg.335fb6dd83607f344dabb8497353dc7f.jpeg

Went to the park yesterday for the first time this year. Just my daughter and I. had a great time and the park looked great. Noticed two geese nesting over by the palace theater. Felt really bad for them becouse of the teenagers throwing sticks at them. Although i did see one of them get chased and fall to the ground. Pretty funny. Just wish security would have been around to chase these kids off. But really enjoyed our day.

I just rode Boss today and I was very impressed. The first half was faster and smoother. The trims in C-block actually had to drag on the train more than it used to in 60 degree weather, it was trimming like it was 90 outside. The rest of the ride was running good as well. It will be interesting to see how it rides once everything gets broke in and the wood dries out. If it keeps running like this and continues to improve each year American Thunder might have to give up the title as the parks best woodie.

Yep, you rode Boss in April!

Just to add to the list of improvements that have happened around the park, The Log Flume had its supports and the interior and exterior of the troughs on the main drop and to the station painted over this past week, it really looks nice and is just the tip of the iceberg of new projects as the painting season begins now.