TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

Lighten up, Francis. You can have pride in your job without getting so defensive when someone posts their opinion (and it happens to conflict with your own). Here's the long and short of it. You see the minute changes because you see these things on a daily basis. Kudos to the park for FINALLY addressing issues. Forgive me for not being a sunshine pumper and getting excited because they are doing basic upkeep. The park (as a whole) still looks extremely run down. You have scars of past shops and games pretty much everywhere. Not going to apologize for expecting more. The whole mentality of "it's just Six Flags" doesn't fly with me.

This is the last thing I will say on this issue. First I never said that there where no minor issues in the park.(Once again I dont think you are reading the entirety of my posts or perhaps I'm not being clear enough for you so I'm going to put tgis as simply as I can.) I dont care if you think the park looks run down, that is your opinion. However when you post that Six Flags doesnt fix things unless theres a new ride in the area that is when I have an issue. Yes its your opinion, but it is an opinion that is disproven by reality. I point to Highland Fling and Boss entrance as proof. What new attaction was added there. Nothing. Then why did Fling get an extensive rehab and Boss entrance get redone? Palace Theater, Mrs. Kitty's, The Tommy G, and Thunder River etc. The list continues to roll on.

Again. You get to see the minute changes daily. I don't get to visit nearly as often and if the park made some much needed progress (FINALLY) kudos to them. It sure is interesting how defensive and upset you get when an outsider states something critical about the park. Perhaps self reflection on your part on what really matters should occur.

And yes the park still looks run down. Deal with it.

As I neared the park, I felt a cold shiver run down my spine. The large marquee proclaimed 'Six Flags St. Louis', but the run-down, dilapidated park before me looked more like Six Flags New Orleans. At 10:30, I entered what I knew would be similar to some perverse, dystopian future that even Orwell would've thought was shocking.

Okay but seriously now....here are some improvements that the park has made for 2016:

- The Boss' first helix had the entire track replaced and slightly re-profiled, which should allow it to run better in colder temps

- The park has virtually a brand-new power grid. It's almost unbelievable how much utility work was done.

- Insanity Alley was temporarily taken down, opening up the midway from Joker Inc up to Batman's exit.

- A new food stand has been added in Batman plaza, increasing the park's food service capacity.

- Other restaurants had a lot of revamping done to increase aesthetics, efficiency, and capacity.

- Plenty of painting and other miscellaneous work. The real painting season is just starting though, so there'll be more soon.

- Thunder River is running better than ever with some refurbishments & a new wave-maker (which will let it run more boats).

Now just a warning: I'm not in the greatest state of mind right now so the captions below are half statements and half not-even-funny-or-good-at-all satirical jokes. But without further ado, enjoy:

IMG_5136.thumb.JPG.caf2cb873d78d84505dc5115ba9beb6a.JPG

Fireball's Exit

IMG_5137.thumb.JPG.64d4cff16b38c51005cb0495fa21ccd7.JPG

The flames on top

IMG_5138.thumb.JPG.2452c0a32bd10fe650edee366468dbf5.JPG

Here's a wide shot of the loading/unloading platform.

IMG_5139.thumb.JPG.285c64db6384a419845bd5d592179d46.JPG

Operator's spot

IMG_5140.thumb.JPG.4fa6698c14c020dc5bea2288f1157b61.JPG

The queue is being rebuilt with shade & fans.

IMG_5142.thumb.JPG.433e00f405b5b29202451f31fde08ec0.JPG

Tidal Wave was feeling left out with Thunder River & Log Flume open.

IMG_5143.thumb.JPG.7e8838bd1f59b1c96fd030b63b274e44.JPG

The ride actually looks pretty cool in its spot.

IMG_5144.thumb.JPG.ecee2dde2ab525547b809b7028fac96b.JPG

This is where Six Flags tries to trick you into thinking you're at SFGAm near Chicago.

IMG_5145.thumb.JPG.2e3056d396de85045b0b829a0363ffcb.JPG

And here's my home, Southern Illinois, with our corn fields.

IMG_5146.thumb.JPG.96e0330f074b61481ac55bcb638eb7c9.JPG

I wonder who the River Queen is

IMG_5147.thumb.JPG.f5a1d4072a04bb7de7d8ae9493c473e6.JPG

Water

IMG_5150.thumb.JPG.7f85f98198785736919d4d792bc0c8c5.JPG

Ah, a gun-toting, vertically-challenged, maniac.

IMG_5151.thumb.JPG.ea8f500539a79fd7af379f5b3afb1b4f.JPG

Screamin' Eagle's break run.

IMG_5154.thumb.JPG.67ae89eec12a29e7843e0ddcca93374b.JPG

I thought this looked cool. But you might not. And that's okay too.

IMG_5155.thumb.JPG.4d275ca7a43f3a37630b87d8fbf2fca3.JPG

I always liked Pandamonium's midway interaction.

IMG_5156.thumb.JPG.c63b23ca4722e4e94e6d288f45622216.JPG

Highland Fling & the Six Flags knock-off Gateway Arch

IMG_5157.thumb.JPG.9deff45b4199e14be2255e587b8c4fed.JPG

The Boss is a bit of a diva when it comes to temperatures.

IMG_5158.thumb.JPG.0d36bbc6d1308367d642bff59c31ae05.JPG

Is the boat going to move? Is the ride going to open?

IMG_5159.thumb.JPG.c82be96ca3a48af552b48d420c7e5122.JPG

Yes! It's moving!

IMG_5162.thumb.JPG.ef9b073e9fe7243cbc8c9fd59ac8630d.JPG

Hey Prozach, I thought you would especially appreciate this picture.

IMG_5163.thumb.JPG.a03c770272f78ae4b8fb40bdbdfe0b84.JPG

IMG_5165.thumb.JPG.d605a1043a22f003abed9f63dd3e1627.JPG

He looks so happy to be floating down the river......(Jk it's a boat so it doesn't have emotions)

IMG_5166.thumb.JPG.79f3777f944a805f45636f065559d0b3.JPG

New for 2014! The Hannibarrel Benches!

IMG_5167.thumb.JPG.30c6338ef88a3ec6e160059ea64eca13.JPG

There were lots of opening day banners.

IMG_5168.thumb.JPG.04da005c2185cff54d611577de9b4f5e.JPG

Some GIANT moles wreaked havoc on the park this off season.

IMG_5169.thumb.JPG.9c486d0d665398fa4824e0860b3dca24.JPG

Superman running super well

IMG_5173.thumb.JPG.7986ff18ecd62a8741a5f2bffb5f4419.JPG

Just a shot of some people enjoying reality-reality

IMG_5174.thumb.JPG.2cefe0e06dd65fd6ac9d70c385fcbdac.JPG

See! I told you! Giant moles!

IMG_5175.thumb.JPG.88a6cc6dc1e7b66bf44d1d45c7b72fb6.JPG

It's quite horrible how much ground they covered.

IMG_5176.thumb.JPG.37f50386a5d9c0f9839c27a5e58355aa.JPG

IMG_5178.thumb.JPG.14f210d87823a36dd8cffa5ab1c216a9.JPG

LOL

IMG_5179.thumb.JPG.57f7f1f8e33cc03f6f992deded973f8a.JPG

While this area will be closed up again come Fright Fest, the park took down Insanity Alley in order to help with Guest flow, which will provide a better Guest experience, even if it takes more work.

IMG_5181.thumb.JPG.af2241e688dd7f1833f125ac705188c3.JPG

Batman's exit feeling nice and free

IMG_5182.thumb.JPG.30a9f80d0a3100f77da487f73ea364aa.JPG

What is this?

IMG_5183.thumb.JPG.622e62c440e361992e620076290a62ef.JPG

Well, to better serve Guests, this new food location will be nice to have when the crowds are large.

Finally, just as you saw with Fireball's queue, the park's management has been working hard on plans to make the park more comfortable overall. This is a trend that I think will be very much appreciated.

Edited by HWFan

^Thanks for the pictures as always. I was hoping you took some because the couple that I took of Fireball were terrible. Lol

Trust me, most of my pics were terrible. It was bright, and I was rushing around the park in less than 30 minutes. My thumb even started bleeding from rubbing up against the wheel of my wheelchair.

Yes, there are things about the park that could really be fixed up. If anything, I am overly critical of the park, because I know that other people hold it to a high standard too. However, saying that the park is run-down overall is extremely overdramatic. There have been some areas that have bothered me since 2013. Actually, the two biggest ones were both completed fixed/replaced for 2016.

Also, the park does a lot to try to at least keep with general themes. For example, the picture of the new food stand: It's in the Studio Backlot section of the park, right across from Johnny Rockets. The new food stand has a very interesting style & color pattern when you look at the pictures. But if you look at the plaza from further back, it perfectly matches & compliments the 1950's style Johnny Rockets. I think that's great, considering they could have gone for a cheaper, plain building.

When they opened lines were short. It's been picking up. Rode American Thunder, Mr. Freeze, Screemin' Eagle (2x), Swings, The Joker, Ninja. Should be able to finish off with Batman and hopefully The Boss. Great day.

The Boss isn't open yet

Yeah. It was too cold for them to run it yesterday. Too bad. Later this year

Lighten up, Francis. You can have pride in your job without getting so defensive when someone posts their opinion (and it happens to conflict with your own). Here's the long and short of it. You see the minute changes because you see these things on a daily basis. Kudos to the park for FINALLY addressing issues. Forgive me for not being a sunshine pumper and getting excited because they are doing basic upkeep. The park (as a whole) still looks extremely run down. You have scars of past shops and games pretty much everywhere. Not going to apologize for expecting more. The whole mentality of "it's just Six Flags" doesn't fly with me.

This is the last thing I will say on this issue. First I never said that there where no minor issues in the park.(Once again I dont think you are reading the entirety of my posts or perhaps I'm not being clear enough for you so I'm going to put tgis as simply as I can.) I dont care if you think the park looks run down, that is your opinion. However when you post that Six Flags doesnt fix things unless theres a new ride in the area that is when I have an issue. Yes its your opinion, but it is an opinion that is disproven by reality. I point to Highland Fling and Boss entrance as proof. What new attaction was added there. Nothing. Then why did Fling get an extensive rehab and Boss entrance get redone? Palace Theater, Mrs. Kitty's, The Tommy G, and Thunder River etc. The list continues to roll on.

Again. You get to see the minute changes daily. I don't get to visit nearly as often and if the park made some much needed progress (FINALLY) kudos to them. It sure is interesting how defensive and upset you get when an outsider states something critical about the park. Perhaps self reflection on your part on what really matters should occur.

And yes the park still looks run down. Deal with it.

You can just go away, now. It's OK. I promise no one will care. Stop struggling to get the last word. No one on the message boards will think any less of you. Thanks.

You can just go away, now. It's OK. I promise no one will care. Stop struggling to get the last word. No one on the message boards will think any less of you. Thanks.

Welcome to yesterday. If you'll notice no one had even posted on the topic until you felt the need to bring it up. I'm sure TNT and HWFan can fight their own battles without your help.

It's obvious that neither party is going to change the others' opinion so like adults we dropped it.

I will gladly take giant moles over freaking tremors. Those things gave me nightmares.

I thought those were from electrical work this offseason (I think either HWFan mentioned this or I must have the wrong park..)

Yea, that was a really dumb joke.

We had a good day overall. The park got very crowded. I heard many coasters had an hour or two wait. We did Pandamonium with a 30 wait and a 45 wait. Waits for food/drinks were long. At one point I waited 20 mins in line for a drink refill.

Also, I saw a lot of guests using Flash passes. I usually see just one or two parties, but there were lines of Flash users which slowed down the regular line. My daughter even asked what they were because she's never noticed them before.

I will gladly take giant moles over freaking tremors. Those things gave me nightmares.

I thought those were from electrical work this offseason (I think either HWFan mentioned this or I must have the wrong park..)

These are the tremors I'm talking about, not earthquakes.

Tremors

Tremors

In which case you should have said "I will gladly take giant moles over freaking Graboids"

Tremors

In which case you should have said "I will gladly take giant moles over freaking Graboids"

Ah. I did not know that was their name. I've only seen the first film and now, thanks to Wikipedia, I know more than I will ever need to know about Graboids.

1st time post, but won't be the last as I've been lurking for the past 8 months

So here is my opening weekend review/trip report. Left Central Illinois for the nice 200 mile drive at about 6:00 in the morning with the goal that I would be the first person in line for Mr. Freeze as I've had coaster withdrawals since October (Many of you can relate I'm sure). Arrived at the parking gate at 9:00am with only 2 rows of cars in front of me (goal #1 success - beat the crowd). Got through and parked by 9:35am and made my way to the entrance and was the 2nd in line for the entry gate. 10:00, made it through and headed straight to the holding area towards Mr. Freeze. At 10:20 after helping a couple that was also from Illinois (Chicago area) bring up their gold pass on the six flags app, security allowed us to proceed into the rest of the park early (love the gold pass early entrance). Got to Mr. Freeze and completed goal #2, first in line. What happened afterwards really made this a memorable experience. Around 10:35, the queue line for Mr. Freeze was still not open, and that's when Peter Carmichael walks up to us and says, I'm going to take you guys up to the loading station as we want to get the ride up and running for you. Now mind you, I've never met Peter, but from everything I've read about how Dave ran the park, from this unique experience walking up to the loading station and talking with him, I can't think of a more personable and friendly person to represent his park. It was a unique experience walking up with him and talking about the park and he was joking while we crossed by Thunder River saying today should be an easy day to get on the rafts. Finally we get up to the loading station as Peter wished all of us a fun day and I was able to catch the first ride of the season on the first train for Mr. Freeze. After getting off Mr. Freeze, I decided to scope out a lot of the changes around the park and got a great picture of fireball that I'll try to post for everyone later. I was happy to see (although dreading a little in the back of my mind) that boomerang was up and running as it had always been closed on my past 3 trips from last season. I finally got that credit right after taking my picture of fireball. For the rest of the morning, I enjoyed taking in the park trying to catch as many rides as I could for my journey to 500 rides this year. Around 12:30, I finally made the mistake of heading towards batman. As has been mentioned already, Batman was running only 1 train this weekend, and the reports I'm hearing are it will be that way at least next weekend and possibly the weekend after before they have the 2nd train back up and running. Plan on spending at least an hour to 2 hours waiting the next couple of weekends. I did crave some batman love and decided to go ahead and wait and when I was about 2/3 of the way to the tunnel stairs, the ride shut down for 20 minutes to clean up a nose bleed bringing my wait time to an hour and 45 minutes, but at the end of everything, getting that first ride of the year on Batman was worth the wait. I can not say enough about the operators this weekend on Batman as being in a worse case scenario for them, they really worked to move people through quickly on the single train operation. Around 2:30, I finally decided to take advantage of my dining pass. Be forewarned, food lines this year are crazy and I do not anticipate them getting any better with so many people taking advantage of the meal passes. Park operations really needs to figure out how to increase capacity at every food stand. The shortest line I found was for a hotdog and even with just 8 people in front of me, it took almost an hour to get my chiledog. At least it was nice and hot and the fries were perfect as well. After eating, I decided I better get my Eagle double ride credit for the day as it looked like Boss wouldn't be opening at all (mistake #3 of the day). The double rides really killed the capacity on eagle and what should have been about a 30 minute wait, ended up taken another hour and 45 minutes as eagle got stuck on the downward hill (didn't know it was possible) right as I was the next in line. 30 minutes later, they released the train and I finally got my double ride (3 trains later). Overall, for being the first day, I knew there would be some issues. I would have liked to have seen a smoother opening day, but it was the first day and I do commend the park employees for making it through. As I left for the day, I knew that Saturday, it was going to be a no brainer to get a flash pass as I discovered the lines were much longer than I had ever experienced at the park. With the deep discount on the platinum flash pass, I decided it would be the best opportunity to go for 50 rides in a day.

Saturday morning arrived at the park at 9:30 and was through the gates into the park and headed straight to Batman after picking up my flash pass. With my flash pass, I was able to get on the first train of the day in the front row (goal #3 met), and what a great way to start the day. Batman seemed to be running much better on Saturday with the warmer temperatures. After my double ride on Batman, I worked my way around the park picking up every ride I could. The goal for Saturday was to only ride flash pass rides to cut my wait times to a minimum and get a good jump on my 500 ride goal for the season. One of the greatest things throughout the day was again noticing Peter walking around the park and interacting with the guests. I thanked him for the experience he had given me on Friday and throughout the day I saw him at least 3 more times in various parts of the park. Around 1:00, I finally got my hopes up that Boss would be running as I saw a huge line forming while the trains were being tested. Thanks to my platinum flash pass I was able to bypass the already enormous line as they opened the queue and was put on the first train in the front row to get the first Boss ride on the first train of the season. Boss is definitely running nicer this year, but I was still pretty beat up after my double ride. Without going into too much additional detail as I know this post is getting long, Saturday was a great day overall. I will say one thing, Ninja has definitely gotten rougher this year. Knowing the right way to ride Ninja (I have always loved the coaster even though no one else does), I can keep the head banging to near nothing, but introducing the VR aspect and not being able to see and anticipate the ride might become a major concern for the park as it would be easy to injure yourself. I'm shorter at 5'4", and on one ride even anticipating the turns, my neck hit pretty hard against the shoulder restraint and caused a good bit of pain. It'll be interesting to see what happens, but I'll try everything once.

Happy 2016 season everyone and I look forward to being more active on the forums as SFGam and SFSTL are my home parks.

Total credits for Friday -11

Mr. Freeze

Highland fling

Excalibur

Boomerang

Superman

Batman

Ninja x2

American thunder

Screamin eagle x2

Total credits for Saturday (Platinum Flash Pass) - 33

Batman x4

Boomerang x3

Superman x4

Pandemonium x4

Mr freeze x3

American thunder x4

Boss x4

Justice league x2

Ninja x2

Skyscreamer

Log flume x2

Okay, so I have a few things to say this morning:

The Screamin' Eagle

I hope it does get the plaque, but for those interested, here are the qualifications from ACE's website:

An ACE Coaster Classic is about a traditional experience. One that has been shared by generations of thrill seekers since the golden age of the 1920s when the wild, uninhibited, free wheeling thrills of the wooden coaster established it as the premier thrill ride and an icon of popular culture.

The concept of ACE Coaster Classics was developed during a period when changes in the design, equipping, and operation of wood coasters threatened to erase these time-honored experiences and rituals. ACE awards ACE Coaster Classic status to coasters that still adhere to these principles that allow riders to safely experience the thrill of the classic wooden roller coaster ride. To be eligible for ACE Coaster Classic status, the coaster must meet the following criteria:

- The coaster must use traditional lap bars that allow riders to experience so-called airtime, or negative G's (that sensation of floating above the seat!!). Individual, ratcheting lap bars do not meet this requirement.

- ACE Coaster Classics allow riders to slide from side-to-side. A coaster with any restraint or device that restricts this freedom is not eligible for ACE Coaster Classic status.

- ACE Coaster Classics allow riders to view the upcoming drops and thrills. Coasters with headrests on every seat, or the majority of seats, restrict this view and are not eligible for ACE Coaster Classic status.

- On ACE Coaster Classics, riders are free to choose where they sit. Some parks' operating procedures assign seating; these coasters are not eligible for ACE Coaster Classic status.

Whether SE meets those qualifications or not, I really hope it gets a plaque. I sometimes forget how groundbreaking of a coaster it really is. Think, our park used to have the tallest, fastest coaster on the planet! When it opened, it was pretty much as big for the park the same as if we had gotten Carrowinds' Fury 325. Either way, it's a very special ride. Even though it isn't truly ADA accessible due to the queue/gates/exit set-up, the park is going to try to get me in there early one morning for my first ride since 2011. I miss it. Finally, here's a cool picture of the ride being built:

1548025930_ScreenShot2016-03-24at12_52_34PM.png.dd5fcbfa615882d770949a49920e80c6.png

(Found in the St. Louis Post Dispatch article regarding the ride's 40th Anniversary.)

Trip Report from Easter Sunday, 4:30-6:00pm

Wow. People have said that I can paint too many rainbows and sunshines regarding things at the park...this is where I would make a Bob Ross joke, but we already covered that a few weeks ago...and they are right sometimes. However, last night was my best solo experience at the park ever.

Knowing that I might be working every hour that the park is open for the next 3-5 weekends or so, I was lucky enough to get off at 4:30 and head down into the park. Even before the rain came through from around 2:00-4:15, wait times were awesome yesterday, but after the rain came through, I don’t think that there was enough people in the entire park to fill all of the operating rides’ trains/cars/seats. The midways were so empty that it sometimes felt like being in the park a couple hours before opening. Anyway, here’s what I hit:

- I watched the track work on The Boss all off-season, so I couldn’t resist. My last ride on it was in 2014, and that one ride was enough for me. I don’t know what factors made the most difference, but I really enjoyed my ride yesterday. They were running two trains: One train was just packed with sandbags. The other train was to the point where dispatch was sometimes held up by around 30 seconds, just to get more people/weight in the train. In the end, the ride ops were going at it like they had a 60min line so props to them.

- Next I went to JLBM. You know that the park is empty when the line only goes back to Cyborg (so less than 5min). It was great. The only effect that wasn’t working on my ride was the fire. I rode with a family of five who had never ridden it, and I probably enjoyed their reactions to each scene of the ride more than the ride itself. While I may work in HR, I still am focused on trying to make the best Guest experience possible, so it was really fulfilling to see them having fun and even buying a picture.

- Then I went to Mr. Freeze. First, the building (including the fake snow that Phantom had mentioned earlier) was looking brand new. They were only running one train, and they never even filled one train (most of the riders in each train were re-riding without leaving their seat). I got two laps on my favorite coaster at the park, and thanked the ride ops who were extremely helpful with my wheelchair, as I had nobody with me.

- Finally, I went to American Thunder. I enjoyed two laps, both in the very back row. For my first lap, I was the only one in that train (yes, they were running both trains when one would’ve even been more than enough). The only thing that slowed down AT’s operation was waiting for the train to clear the first set of breaks. When I was in the train alone, it took at least a minute for the train to get from the first set of breaks to the transfer track breaks. Without much weight and chilly temps, even full trains would inch along before picking up speed. But yes, AT continues to be a fantastic coaster.

I really want to thank all of the ride operators and the operations management team for their hard work yesterday. While I said the park wasn’t too crowded, they were still on their A-game. I enjoy listening to the radio during my shift (although I rarely have to use it), and anytime there was even the smallest issue, operations management was there ASAP, getting the ride back to peak operation extremely quickly. Kudos to them.

A Few More Things

1st time post, but won't be the last

Welcome! I always like seeing lurkers posting their thoughts and experiences. The more the merrier!

What happened afterwards really made this a memorable experience. Around 10:35, the queue line for Mr. Freeze was still not open, and that's when Peter Carmichael walks up to us and says, I'm going to take you guys up to the loading station as we want to get the ride up and running for you. Now mind you, I've never met Peter, but from everything I've read about how Dave ran the park, from this unique experience walking up to the loading station and talking with him, I can't think of a more personable and friendly person to represent his park. It was a unique experience walking up with him and talking about the park and he was joking while we crossed by Thunder River saying today should be an easy day to get on the rafts. Finally we get up to the loading station as Peter wished all of us a fun day and I was able to catch the first ride of the season on the first train for Mr. Freeze.

I copy and pasted your post into a word document, added a few paragraph breaks, and will deliver it to Pete today. I'm sure he'll be really happy to hear it.

Around 2:30, I finally decided to take advantage of my dining pass. Be forewarned, food lines this year are crazy and I do not anticipate them getting any better with so many people taking advantage of the meal passes. Park operations really needs to figure out how to increase capacity at every food stand. The shortest line I found was for a hotdog and even with just 8 people in front of me, it took almost an hour to get my chiledog. At least it was nice and hot and the fries were perfect as well.

One of the greatest things throughout the day was again noticing Peter walking around the park and interacting with the guests. I thanked him for the experience he had given me on Friday and throughout the day I saw him at least 3 more times in various parts of the park.

He spent a ton of time in the park this past weekend. He's very hands on and likes to personally make sure things are running smoothly. He's a great guy.

Edited by HWFan

I met Pete this weekend and had no idea who he was. Seemed really nice.

All I have to say is they had better figure out how to deal with the Dining issue. Luckily I sat at the Bar at JB's Smokehouse chatting with Richie and ordered from him. The line stretched all the way out and to the star in front of JLBFM. That is unacceptable. When I left the park, I had to fight my way through the massive lines at 1904, The Mexican place and Colonades. There were SOOOOOO many people in line. It was just ridiculous.