TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

Hi guys! Can you help me a bit?

I found this coin of SFSTL and I was wondering if anyone of you know what year it's from. Yes, I know about the Sky Chuter on it, meaning that it's somewhere between 1978 to 1982.

I find that very interesting because the park was still called Six Flags OVER MID AMERICA when the Shy Chute was still at the park. The name changed to Six Flags ST LOUIS in the nineties (somewhere between '95 and '97), but the coin says Six Flags St. Louis on it.

Hi guys! Can you help me a bit?

I found this coin of SFSTL and I was wondering if anyone of you know what year it's from. Yes, I know about the Sky Chuter on it, meaning that it's somewhere between 1978 to 1982.

I find that very interesting because the park was still called Six Flags OVER MID AMERICA when the Shy Chute was still at the park. The name changed to Six Flags ST LOUIS in the nineties (somewhere between '95 and '97), but the coin says Six Flags St. Louis on it.

Six Flags called it both. Check out the 1981 map cover on this timeline

http://timelines.home.insightbb.com/sfsl_years.htm

EDIT: Yes, I was just as confused as you about the name

I just find it annoying that the park lets things get do run down that the only way an area gets improved is if a new ride is added there or in place of something. Preventative maintenance would go a long way to making the park look better and would probably save money in the long run. Don't bother putting in theming if you're not going to maintain it. We used to make the joke that the only theming SF could do well was "rundown" but then even that went to crap with Batman and Mr. Freeze.

From what I understand, SFSTL has been doing a lot of general upkeep throughout the past several off seasons. I get this information second hand, because I don't visit the park. But I mean, let's be honest... Don't all parks let their theming degrade to certain degree, with maybe the exception of Disney? It's just like driving your 1995 Honda Accord. Some things are worth fixing for the money, other things not so much as long as the ride gets you from A-B without your windshield freezing up or your fingers going numb. I legitimately believe that it doesn't make a difference to the masses if Batman's queue were restored to its full original glory. As long as it's functional and looks 'OK' most of the people buying tickets don't care. Sure, there may be an occasional smartass comment from the cynics, but would it really be a 'wow' factor to the masses if the cop car crashed into the fire hydrant was still fully functional after seeing it 20 years later? I mean honestly, after replacing pumps, water lines, rusting car parts, etc., do you realize over 20 years how much money would be put into that one effect? I think this is why Cedar Fair chooses their smart, but criticized by enthusiast snobs, strategy of more clean lines and simple theming, because the upkeep is far less costly and most of it needs little to no attention throughout the life a particular ride or area. Personally, I'm at the point with this park where if you were to give it a hyper coaster I wouldn't give a damn if I had to cross over a moat of raw sewage to get to it.

Lets just all take a step back and pretend we're not enthusiasts for a few minutes. Ask yourself: Who really gives a sh**?

I think it would look cool if they added some artwork, like those carnival haunted houses, but of the Gotham City skyline, maybe with sound effects. If not that, then maybe something like American Thunder, where they have posters of it's history.

It's not just you. I'm not pointing the finger at SFSTL, but all of the VR experiences in general just strike me as incredibly cheesy and lame. That's without considering the lackluster graphics.

Kotaku (I know, I know) just recently wrote a little op-ed about this, actually.

tl;dr - it's really really hard to communicate how good VR experiences are. I don't think I've really heard much bad about the current-gen VR rigs except "that one time I played for 5 hours in a row I got a headache," and that includes games that have relative primitive graphics.

I just find it annoying that the park lets things get do run down that the only way an area gets improved is if a new ride is added there or in place of something. Preventative maintenance would go a long way to making the park look better and would probably save money in the long run. Don't bother putting in theming if you're not going to maintain it. We used to make the joke that the only theming SF could do well was "rundown" but then even that went to crap with Batman and Mr. Freeze.

HWfan has posted about off season improvements in the past few years, with a good portion talking about these sorts of updates. The car isn't going back in the Batman queue any time soon, but the park's been doing a fair bit of building refurb and paint jobs.

**snip**

Lets just all take a step back and pretend we're not enthusiasts for a few minutes. Ask yourself: Who really gives a sh**?

You sorta answered your own question when you brought up Disney: a lot of people care. There's a ton of cultural baggage, obviously, but when people talk about the "Disney Magic" they're not just talking about how great its a small world is, they're talking about the experience of merely being in the park. Theming is why Disney can get away with attractions like "a big fake treehouse." Like, when people go to IoA, think about the number of people who say "I loved drinking butterbeer" compared to the people who say "I really loved Dragon Challenge." Done properly, theming can absolutely be its own reward.

That being said, I think you're spot on, broadly speaking. Six Flags either doesn't have the willpower or the cash to create an incredibly immersive experience (which is a shame - lets put a pin in that for a second), so I think the focus should absolutely be on just making sure things don't look like they're falling apart so that spending a day in the park, even without rides, is a pleasant experience. Like underwhelming as Tsunami Soaker is, stuff like scrapping the Hanibarrels is a huge win for that column.

Getting back to that pin, It's a bit of a shame that there's no will for it. DC isn't known for its iconic locales quite like Harry Potter is, but there's room to be creative there. A Superman queue that winds through the Daily Planet newsroom or a Batman queue that takes you through the Monarch Theatre or Crime Alley...it feels like there's meat on those bones. And I do think that this is partially a willpower thing. For The Dark Knight at GrAm last year, I got ushered through a completely functional pre-show room just to wait in another queue. Now, I'm sure part of this is local management, but if corporate wanted to push their parks as an experience, they wouldn't let it happen.

*bangs head against wall*

While my shift starts at 11:15, I'm heading to the park early. I'll spend my 30 minutes taking a quick trip report of all the decaying buildings, streets, rides, and theming.

Just so you know, I am a Disney fanatic. The DisneyWorld message boards have the same complaints about upkeep, lack of new rides, horrible food, and how everything is going downhill.

Although I love WDW, my family cannot go every year. We get season passes to SF for less than a one day ticket to Disney.

While my shift starts at 11:15, I'm heading to the park early. I'll spend my 30 minutes taking a quick trip report of all the decaying buildings, streets, rides, and theming.

I think you and another posted missed the point. Yes they are NOW doing work to redo issues that should have been taken care of a long time ago. Stop taking things so personally. You just work there you don't own the park.

Six Flags either doesn't have the willpower or the cash to create an incredibly immersive experience (which is a shame - lets put a pin in that for a second), so I think the focus should absolutely be on just making sure things don't look like they're falling apart so that spending a day in the park, even without rides, is a pleasant experience.

That was part of my point. It's a vanity vs. necessity cash flow issue, which again, is why I think CF does it best, despite all of the criticism from the nerds. JL doesn't cater to my wants, but I consider it a success at this point due to overwhelmingly positive reception of the ride from consumers. But at the same time I don't feel like the park learned its lessons from its previous decay of heavily themed areas such as Batman's Queue. I truly believe it will suffer the same fate as all of the other SF/CF heavily themed attractions in a 'here before you know it' time frame. Eventually, you're going to get a number cruncher who looks at the dollar amount to maintain a 7-10 year old ride and make a decision that its not cost effective to pay multiple thousands of dollars to replace whatever part breaks next on any of the many expensive features in that ride. I believe history will repeat itself, but it's weighed against the demand for a high tech ride like JL. That, and attractions break down and wear out. It's just the natural way of things.

I don't expect my new car to run like it does today five years from now, but I'll still enjoy it for what it is. Wait... scratch that. Who the hell am I kidding? I'll probably be driving something different within a year.

I think you and another posted missed the point. Yes they are NOW doing work to redo issues that should have been taken care of a long time ago. Stop taking things so personally. You just work there you don't own the park.

Lets crack open the history books to chapter 2008 page 254. Money was tight as the company braced for bankruptcy, spending money only on necessities. (That would explain why themeing and building maintenance wasn't being spent on. The limited budget was being spent on ride maintenance instead) Now turn to a newer chapter such as 2012 and up and maintenance of themeing and buildings has returned.

See you are missing the point. Your point was valid a couple years ago. Clearly you dont follow this thread very closely(or read posts completely or both). Your right we dont own the park. We only work there. You know what separates the good employees from the ok employees? (I've worked there for almost 4 seasons now and been in a leadership position for 2 of those 4. Safe money would say I know what I'm talking about) The ok employees only work at the park. That is their exact mentality. The good employees take ownership of the park and strive to go the extra mile to make the guest experience better. When you insult the park for something it did years ago during tough financial times it is indeed insulting to those that have worked hard to try and improve the image of the park.

Lighten up, Francis. You can have pride in your job without getting so defensive when someone posts their opinion (and it happens to conflict with your own). Here's the long and short of it. You see the minute changes because you see these things on a daily basis. Kudos to the park for FINALLY addressing issues. Forgive me for not being a sunshine pumper and getting excited because they are doing basic upkeep. The park (as a whole) still looks extremely run down. You have scars of past shops and games pretty much everywhere. Not going to apologize for expecting more. The whole mentality of "it's just Six Flags" doesn't fly with me.