TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

Have you tried the Samsung VR experience before? These things are awesome and even though I'm in the minority since I like the Ninja, this could be a cool way to bring excitement back to this ride.

^I think the VR will pause and show a note saying "Malfunction! Please keep headset on"

Or an ad for Six Flags will play, showing all the awesome coasters they have at their other parks. I wish I had a dollar for every time I overheard someone in line saying "we have to go ride that coaster next". I then tell them they had better get to steppin' because that coaster is in California.

What if in the headset they show you a video of the B&M hyper coaster that should be at the park instead of Ninja... maybe that'll work.

The layout will be strangely similar to Golioth at SFoG.

There are very few installations of this tech, and none at the "competitor" parks in the region.

Sounds like a perfectly good reason to continue visiting competitor parks and avoiding SFSTL. Thank you for the reassurance.

Have you tried the Samsung VR experience before? These things are awesome and even though I'm in the minority since I like the Ninja, this could be a cool way to bring excitement back to this ride.

This is the reason I'm interested. By all accounts, current generation VR is really convincing, but the massive cost of entry is off putting if you don't already own a Gear VR compatible phone.

That being said, I worry about Gizmodo's description of this thing being a Next Level Vomit Factory may come uncomfortably close to reality.

What happens if the ride stops for a breakdown or an emergency? Can I remove the them myself? What if I take them off? Can I lose them?

The FAQ on the webpage goes into the broad strokes of how this works. Prior to boarding you'll get a headset to fit to your face. It's secured with the usual headstrap as well as a chinstrap and an extra lanyard (those aren't standard on Gear headsets.) Then you board and actually put over your eyes. It's not like they lock it to your face, man-in-the-iron-mask style.

IMO if someone wants to experience they now have the option which is great. But I am just really hoping that they don't use this VR experience as a way to get out of big additions at parks! Just seems like something they would do... Another concern I thought about is if a headset flies off and hurts someone? or if it breaks will the rider be responsible? So many variables.....

To those that said Batman would have been a better option, you would be incorrect. There are 64 seats on Batman, 4 operators checking restraints in a very ackward zig zag pattern, and less then a minute and thirty seconds to get the train unloaded, reloaded, locked, checked, and cleared. One minor issue such as bags, shoes, and height checking can cause the trains to stack. Add in virtual reality headsets to the mix would be a disaster, then you would be on here complaining that the park dropped the ball and you would throw out suggestions that in reality wouldn't work or wouldn't address the actual issue. Also Batman wouldn't fit the theme.

The theme being used will be New Revolution, riders will be in a futuristic fighter jet fighting aliens. Gameplay will only be available on the lift. Audio will be provided by speakers located alongside of the track which eliminates the issues with on board audio systems.

Good point with the capacity challenge.

But not fitting the theming? Almost all of the theming that once existed is gone - the queue is a shell of its former glory. Moreover what do Ninjas have to do with fighter jets?

To those worried about VR headsets being used on a full sized, fairly intense coaster....Alton Towers is using them on their B&M flyer for this year.

Also, I'll have to go back and read more carefully I guess because I assumed that the "New Revolution" theme was going to be used on the coster called the "New" Revolution at SFMM. Plus, even if I fighter jet theme doesn't necessarily fit with a ride called the ninja, if it's a good experience, does it matter?

For those complaining think about this, not every park got this. (Granted that is only a couple of parks.) But granted I think this is an interesting idea. Regardless what you think of the coaster/idea, why not try it out? You have nothing to loose unless you really hate it that much. Also, for those on the name, I personally consider the coaster and the VR to be separate. You can either ride Ninja, or ride The New Revolution.

Meh...another gimmick. My concern would be what if this thing comes off during the ride and knocks one of the other rides on the head. Will they have a fool proof way of keeping this attached to one's head?

Concerning the red paint topic, I never remember it turning pink. It looked more orange-ish red from what I recall in its last year before the repaint. It didn't look new by anymeans, but from what I recall it still looked better than it does in black. I know 1995 was not the last year of its red paint but this is about the only one I can find and it still looked pretty good looking orange-ish red, not pink.

On top of this, did they repaint it when it was installed or were they still using the original paint from the '86 Expo. My guess would be they repainted when they installed it which meant it lasted roughly 9-10 years, if not it lasted 12-13 years. The first black paint coat was used for 11-12 years.

Meh...another gimmick. My concern would be what if this thing comes off during the ride and knocks one of the other rides on the head. Will they have a fool proof way of keeping this attached to one's head?

Concerning the red paint topic, I never remember it turning pink. It looked more orange-ish red from what I recall in its last year before the repaint. It didn't look new by anymeans, but from what I recall it still looked better than it does in black. I know 1995 was not the last year of its red paint but this is about the only one I can find and it still looked pretty good looking orange-ish red, not pink.

On top of this, did they repaint it when it was installed or were they still using the original paint from the '86 Expo. My guess would be they repainted when they installed it which meant it lasted roughly 9-10 years, if not it lasted 12-13 years. The first black paint coat was used for 11-12 years.

The expo was only for a matter of a few months, thus I would think the paint was not repainted. Darker colors fade less quickly and less noticeably. I had never thought of this in the process of color choices but it is one of the primary considerations.

I would love just to see the platform of Fireball at most. I want to see if it has been replaced and if our ride sits into the ground where the "car" is "level" with the platform in any manner of ways (eg. trenched in, ferris wheel style, etc)