TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

Would you rather still have the bumper cars or boomerang?

Bumper Cars......100%

Yeah definitely

Bumper Cars all the way! I miss them! And I really miss that awesome old building they were housed in!

I'd actually vote Boomerang. It's not a great ride by any means, but I do like the first drop.

If anything, it did bring some new life to that area with it's bright green and orange colors sprawling out over the pathway. It does LOOK like a great ride. Visually, it's a big improvement over the run down bumper car building.

I don't see why they didn't just build another bumper car building elsewhere. I agree that the Boomerang did really improve the aesthetics of that area, even if I'll never ride it again

Yeah I miss the bumper cars for sure. Nothing like the ones at Knoebel's but they have a sense of nostalgia for me

Bumper Cars......100%

Yeah definitely

Bumper Cars all the way! I miss them! And I really miss that awesome old building they were housed in!

Like I have said several times in the past, a amusement park without Bumper Cars is like a Burger Joint that doesn't sell French Fries. I understand the old Bumper Cars had to go but they need to be replaced. The same can be said for a Traditional Swings ride but I guess Sky Screamer fills that role

It is one of the best Six Flags parks with a nice rounded selection of roller coasters and rides..

You haven't been to very many Six Flags parks I take it?

I'll gladly drive right past the park (it's less than 2 hours away) to go to a better one that's farther away

I think you're being too hard on the park... I have been to MANY Six Flags parks, and when my wife and I went to SFStL, we really enjoyed it. No, it's not comparable to Silver Dollar City (which isn't a SF park), but I thought it was at least as good as WoF (which also isn't a SF park) back when we went to both on the same trip. That being said, it was back in 2003, so maybe SFStL has deteriorated, and WoF has improved. But I did enjoy SFStL back then. Certainly, it didn't seem much worse from the overall park experience perspective, than any other SF park. It was actually a lot nicer than SFMM, from that standpoint!

I CAN understand getting bored with the park as a local, however, as I know in Michigan we are all tired of how MiA stagnates year after year while other parks in the chain get sizable improvements. But I feel like that is a different issue than whether the park's appearance, and experience is solid. (And, FWIW, SFStL then, was better than MiA is now, so you have that going for you! )

I'll put it in to perspective. I have visited 5 Six Flags parks this season (SFFT, SFoT, SFGAm, SFoG, and SFStL). I live closest to SFStL, yet I went almost the entire season before I visited it - why? - because it pretty much sucks. I've already decided that unless there is something major added next year (or something major added at a SF park in route to where I am going next summer) I'm not bothering to renew my pass and I've had a SF pass for over 25 years straight.

The park doesn't even feel like it's trying any more.

I'll put it in to perspective. I have visited 5 Six Flags parks this season (SFFT, SFoT, SFGAm, SFoG, and SFStL). I live closest to SFStL, yet I went almost the entire season before I visited it - why? - because it pretty much sucks. I've already decided that unless there is something major added next year (or something major added at a SF park in route to where I am going next summer) I'm not bothering to renew my pass and I've had a SF pass for over 25 years straight.

The park doesn't even feel like it's trying any more.

This "perspective" is what I was referring to in my last paragraph. I have it as well, for my "home park". I went to MiA the other day for the first time in 8 or 9 years. And it's closer than every other park I've been to in the interim. So I get where you're coming from. I'm just suggesting that for somebody that doesn't go there regularly, it may not seem as bad, that's all.

Well I wouldn't claim it as my homepark. I live smack dab in the middle of Missouri so I have 3 parks very close to me (SFStL - 2 hours, WOF - 2 hours, SDC - 3.5 hours). I have passes to all of them, but I will tell you that even though it is farther away from me, I will pick SDC over the other two any time. I think the reason I keep getting passes for WOF and SF is so that I can go to the other parks in those chains... well that and HAUNT at WOF is amazing.

I just get very annoyed with SFStL and it's not a new thing. The park is so rundown. Yeah, they've been trying to fix it back up and some of the "new" areas look decent - but the fact they let it get to that point is really unacceptable. There are so many scars around the park where things used to be. Empty buildings and things just falling apart. When I was there on Tuesday, there were 3 rides broken in the main park and 2 slide complexes in the water park broken. You also had STOP running at half capacity. At what point is enough enough?

I try to look at SFSTL as objectively as possible. It really could be a LOT worse. For a non-enthusiast, look at that coaster lineup! A little something for everyone. If we're comparing to other Six Flags parks, I could pick out just as many problems with every other one I've visited. It's Six Flags, after all. Growing up here, I remember vividly the park having only 3 coasters for most of my childhood (plus or minus the other side of the mine train and the kiddie coaster). I remember the announcement of Batman and was like, "Did I read that right? SFSTL is getting a Batman??? That must be a misprint." And then bam-, Mr. Freeze, the Boss, etc. Those were some fantastic years for the park. Would love another round of big coasters to land here, but I'm not gonna pretend I don't enjoy what the park has to offer now. Again, things could be much, much worse.

I try to look at SFSTL as objectively as possible. It really could be a LOT worse. For a non-enthusiast, look at that coaster lineup! A little something for everyone. If we're comparing to other Six Flags parks, I could pick out just as many problems with every other one I've visited. It's Six Flags, after all. Growing up here, I remember vividly the park having only 3 coasters for most of my childhood (plus or minus the other side of the mine train and the kiddie coaster). I remember the announcement of Batman and was like, "Did I read that right? SFSTL is getting a Batman??? That must be a misprint." And then bam-, Mr. Freeze, the Boss, etc. Those were some fantastic years for the park. Would love another round of big coasters to land here, but I'm not gonna pretend I don't enjoy what the park has to offer now. Again, things could be much, much worse.

Agreed, especially coming out of bankruptcy. I mean, we have gotten a ride or attraction every year for the past however years now. Even if its a shitty boomerang, they are trying. Maybe its not as much as other parks in the chain, but they aren't neglecting us. Corporate is not making the same type of investments for our park, but given the amount of people they are marketing to and other variables are you surprised?

Bumper Cars......100%

Yeah definitely

Like I have said several times in the past, a amusement park without Bumper Cars is like a Burger Joint that doesn't sell French Fries. I understand the old Bumper Cars had to go but they need to be replaced. The same can be said for a Traditional Swings ride but I guess Sky Screamer fills that role

Skyscreamer does not fill the role of "traditional" swings, there is a big difference in being 20-30 feet off the grou d compared to 150+ feet.

Try 232 ft... Yeah.

Agreed, just trying to be optomistic.

Oh, and I am completely freaking jealous of Dollywood today. Imagine if that was being built here (I know we don't have the landscape for that layout, I get it), I am sure many of us would stop complaining and maybe begin to go back to our local park