TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

Went to the park and rode JLBFM on the official opening day! Aweswome ride! There's always room for improvement, though, so here's a few comments and observations:

(1) They really need to get the cars filled to capacity. We were a group of four and they sent our car out with just us on board. Other cars were going out not fully loaded either. The ride has low enough capacity as it is, so this is a real problem. Even if there isn't a single rider line, the ride grouper should be working hard to get small groups of 1 and 2 riders onto cars with extra seats available. By sending out cars with 4 people on board, they are cutting the ride's capacity by a third and turning a 60 minute wait into a 90 minute wait!

(2) The theming in the loading room was a combination of awesome and unfinished looking. The whole place is bare concrete floors and walls. Why not at least throw in some carpeting around Cyborg to make it look more like he's in a control area? He's so awesome looking, but the concrete floor all around him really detracts from the theming. Similarly, the back wall of the loading room (where the flash pass / wheelchair people go) is just a vast expanse of bare concrete wall. Why not theme the back wall with some fake Justice League computers and displays with flashing lights and fake buttons and dials and so forth? They don't have to actually do anything, and it would really make the place look better. The huge projection monitor on the front wall above the loading area, together with the group of smaller monitors, looks great, but the loading room, taken as a whole, looks unfinished. I seriously was thinking that the room looks like they got halfway done and ran out of money.

(3) The sound on the ride is not balanced properly. The sound effects were excellent, but the voices (the intro when you're entering the first room, the animatronic Joker and the characters in the 3-D movies) were played at such a low volume they were almost inaudible. One thing I remember about similar rides at Universal (Spider-Man and Transformers) is that the voicework was played at a high volume and obviously through separate surround speakers from the other sound effects and it was crystal clear. I'm not sure how the speakers are being done here, but this really needs to be corrected as it detracts from the ride -- it's the voicework that lets you understand what is going on, especially on the first screen at the start of the ride.

(4) Why such a short look at the animatronic Joker? You barely even get a look at him, and he's one of the most eye-catching things in the entire ride. Reprogram the way the cars move through the room to slow them down a bit to allow a better look at the Joker (even just two extra seconds would make a big difference), and then make up the time by speeding up the cars a bit after the fire blast, when the Joker is out of sight.

(5) What is with the blackout near the end of the ride, during the switch between the second-to-last large screen (the one with the helicopter) and the last large screen (the subway scene)? The car spins around, leaves the rider staring at the blank screen, and then moves you to the next screen. It looked to me like there was room to add some physical props between those two screens so there's something to look at during the transition. At the very least, change the programming of the car so the rider doesn't end up facing a blank screen! It totally takes the rider out of the illusion.

I don't want the above to make it sound like I didn't like the ride -- it is by far the best ride at SFSTL and, although not up to the level of the max Universal rides, actually would not be out of place at Islands of Adventure, which is pretty high praise. But the above comments would make it even better.

Wow. This ride isn't getting even as many positive reviews as I thought it would, but I'm sure the overall enjoyment of this ride outweighs some of its shortcomings. I think when you have a ride like this you take a pretty big risk, though. Everyone is going to compare it to the heavy hitters like Universal. I'm sure the ride is just fine, but I think everyone's expectations were a little too high.

I haven't seen the ride yet, and 'likely' won't see it this year, but I don't think carpet is what you want when you're going for a clean futuristic look. Bare concrete walls are boring, but I also don't think oddly placed cheesy plastic buttons glued on to the wall will make anything any better. Just paint some super hero logos (uhg I feel like a geek even saying super hero) on the walls and call it a day. However, it is SF, so it's not often a newly themed ride gets improved theme right after opening. If you can predict based on past experiences the ride is more likely in finished form now and you get what you get.

I'm sure HWfan will know if any additional improvements are in place. N/O to him, since he does a great job of keeping us updated, but if I recall correctly Dave assured him that the ride would be running damn near flawlessly on opening "Unlike all of the other examples we've seen by SF in the past." I seem to recall being advised that the ride would take a while to open only to ensure it would be problem free from the beginning. What can you say, though. Six Flags isn't known for it's attention to detail, but I probably wouldn't let the complaints I've heard so far even register on my radar just as I don't let minor trims ruin my experience on coasters. People sweat the small stuff too much, anyway.

I would break the ride into two parts the ride itself( from being seated in vehicle to exiting vehicle) and the ride experience( outside views, queues, waiting areas, loading area and exit area). The ride it self is at least a 9/10 for me. The ride experience is maybe a 7/10 in my opinion. I don' t think people are trying to nit pick, but when a ride of this caliber is announced and opened, nothing less than perfection should be expected.

When enthusiasts and GP see minor improvements/details that could have been tweaked, why don' t the professionals that built, designed, and installed see the same things? I just really think this was rushed to be opened and another week or two would been able to clean up and tweak everything that has been pointed out.

Even my kids asked on our second ride, if we skipped a section due to what seemed like a large period of darkness.

I'm gonna keep it short and sweet this time:

1. The vast majority of Guests are absolutely loving the ride. Talking to dozens and dozens of Guests, I have not heard a single complaint of any kind. Even better, everyone says that the ride was more than worth every second of the wait (which was 3 hours for one family during previews).

2. Dust in the queue, unfinished looking exit areas, etc may not be perfect. With Obama still being President, isn't Change to be expected? In terms of the ride itself, the main issue is a single vehicle. It isn't due to any SF attention to detail or lack thereof. Oceaneering is working around the clock and had similar issues with Transformers initially. We just gotta let that car get through its rebellious teenager phase and its #OccupyRideTrack protest.

Wow. This ride isn't getting even as many positive reviews as I thought it would, but I'm sure the overall enjoyment of this ride outweighs some of its shortcomings. I think when you have a ride like this you take a pretty big risk, though. Everyone is going to compare it to the heavy hitters like Universal. I'm sure the ride is just fine, but I think everyone's expectations were a little too high.

I'd just like to say that your negativity on this forum bothers me. Your home park just built a multi-million dollar dark ride, and yet you come in here with a ton of negativity. It's just really annoying... Please don't talk crap on the ride until you at least ride it yourself. I get that you aren't happy with how your home park has grown over the past few daces or whatever, but at least you have HW, WOF, SDC, KK, KI, SFGAm, and a ton of other awesome Mid West parks within driving distance... I'm over three hours away from any theme park, and most at that distance are nothing to write home about.

Life's better when you focus on the positives and stop complaining about what you don't have... That absolutely applies to theme parks and this hobby. Cheer up, brother!

In other news, the ride looks amazing, I hope my local-ish SF parks build one of these things soon!

^ That wasn't even a negative post... he was just saying that other peoples' complaints are probably because they're comparing it to Universal/Disney rides.

Prozach's posts really haven't been negative at all in months.

I haven't seen the ride yet, and 'likely' won't see it this year, but I don't think carpet is what you want when you're going for a clean futuristic look. Bare concrete walls are boring, but I also don't think oddly placed cheesy plastic buttons glued on to the wall will make anything any better. Just paint some super hero logos (uhg I feel like a geek even saying super hero) on the walls and call it a day. However, it is SF, so it's not often a newly themed ride gets improved theme right after opening. If you can predict based on past experiences the ride is more likely in finished form now and you get what you get.

I'm sure HWfan will know if any additional improvements are in place. N/O to him, since he does a great job of keeping us updated, but if I recall correctly Dave assured him that the ride would be running damn near flawlessly on opening "Unlike all of the other examples we've seen by SF in the past." I seem to recall being advised that the ride would take a while to open only to ensure it would be problem free from the beginning. What can you say, though. Six Flags isn't known for it's attention to detail, but I probably wouldn't let the complaints I've heard so far even register on my radar just as I don't let minor trims ruin my experience on coasters. People sweat the small stuff too much, anyway.

Don't get me wrong, the ride actually is awesome, which makes the little issues stand out. One correction: the back wall isn't bare, it's finished. Still needs theming, though. Even some of those banners like in the entrance room would help. Went back to SFSTL and rode two more times. The character dialog really is virtually inaudible. That's got to be fixed. Other than that, it's a great ride and everyone exiting was really impressed from what I overheard. The wait was about 75 minutes.

Gold pass questions:

Im thinking of getting the four pack, but the fourth person probably wouldnt go. Instead, it would be her kids with someone else. Can one of the kids use it?

As far as processing them, how do four different people do it if they don't all go together?

Gold pass questions:

Im thinking of getting the four pack, but the fourth person probably wouldnt go. Instead, it would be her kids with someone else. Can one of the kids use it?

As far as processing them, how do four different people do it if they don't all go together?

Go to this website: https://www.sixflags.com/stlouis/plan-your-visit/contact-us

Basically paste that comment into a web comment but put "For Josh" at the beginning. I'll get back to you ASAP, and that way I can answer any other questions that might come up (and I'll be on the clock so it's not as sketchy).

I agree. Prozach has actually been, dare I say it, a really constructive member recently. We all know he doesn't like dark rides. However, I see his posts as just being realistic in a lot of ways. Now as Woodie Warrior mentioned, why are people comparing this to Universal rides? Who would have suggested such a comparison?....oh wait....but I do still stand (well, technically sit) by that comparison.

Gold pass questions:

Go to this website: https://www.sixflags.com/stlouis/plan-your-visit/contact-us

Basically paste that comment into a web comment but put "For Josh" at the beginning. I'll get back to you ASAP, and that way I can answer any other questions that might come up (and I'll be on the clock so it's not as sketchy).

I agree. Prozach has actually been, dare I say it, a really constructive member recently. We all know he doesn't like dark rides. However, I see his posts as just being realistic in a lot of ways. Now as Woodie Warrior mentioned, why are people comparing this to Universal rides? Who would have suggested such a comparison?....oh wait....but I do still stand (well, technically sit) by that comparison.

Done. I sent it last night to the 'season pass' one too.

Don't get me wrong, the ride actually is awesome, which makes the little issues stand out. One correction: the back wall isn't bare, it's finished. Still needs theming, though. Even some of those banners like in the entrance room would help. Went back to SFSTL and rode two more times. The character dialog really is virtually inaudible. That's got to be fixed. Other than that, it's a great ride and everyone exiting was really impressed from what I overheard. The wait was about 75 minutes.

I wonder if that is something that would be an easy fix or if it would take a lot of programming work. For example, It's not like you can just turn up the dialogue on movies to be louder than the effects audio, as opposed to something like a modern video game where you can. I guess it would depend on if they created the audio track separately from the video track.

I'd just like to say that your negativity on this forum bothers me. Your home park just built a multi-million dollar dark ride, and yet you come in here with a ton of negativity. It's just really annoying... Please don't talk crap on the ride until you at least ride it yourself. I get that you aren't happy with how your home park has grown over the past few daces or whatever, but at least you have HW, WOF, SDC, KK, KI, SFGAm, and a ton of other awesome Mid West parks within driving distance... I'm over three hours away from any theme park, and most at that distance are nothing to write home about.

Life's better when you focus on the positives and stop complaining about what you don't have... That absolutely applies to theme parks and this hobby. Cheer up, brother!

In other news, the ride looks amazing, I hope my local-ish SF parks build one of these things soon!

Not once did I bash the ride. I can't help it that you COMPLETELY misinterpreted my post that I specifically worded NOT to offend anyone, especially HWfan who provides us with so much information. Nor do I give a crap about what you think. Thanks for the tip coach, but I'm perfectly happy with how I live my life.

Not once did I bash the ride. I can't help it that you COMPLETELY misinterpreted my post that I specifically worded NOT to offend anyone, especially HWfan who provides us with so much information. Nor do I give a crap about what you think. Thanks for the tip coach, but I'm perfectly happy with how I live my life.

You could have reacted to my post two ways; really offended or understanding. And you're being just as negative as I said you were. Take it easy, man. Let's just have a good time! Theme Parks are suppose to be fun, why not have the discussions fun too?

Sorry, I don't mean to bash your character, just trying to promote positivity online.

Any idea what might be added in 2016?

I was told by the Dippin' Dots guy we're getting a B&M giga coaster....

In all seriousness, I'm almost sure it'll be a water park ride of some type. That or a minor flat ride.

I wonder if that is something that would be an easy fix or if it would take a lot of programming work. For example, It's not like you can just turn up the dialogue on movies to be louder than the effects audio, as opposed to something like a modern video game where you can. I guess it would depend on if they created the audio track separately from the video track.

Curse of DarKastle at Busch Gardens Williamsburg had issues with audio when it first opened, too, but the park fixed the problem. Most new rides, especially complex dark rides, need a fair amount of tweaking after they open.

Prozach and chickenbowl, you two should definitely not talk to each other for a while. Just a word of advice from your Friendly Neighborhood Site Moderator. Thank you.

^^Like a good neighbor, State Farm... yeah.

I kind of hope we see more dry-side improvements next year too. Another flat ride would be awesome - as long as it's not a Super Loop. I'm not really too sure what to put in the waterpark, but it is destined to expand behind Big Kahuna. I've never thought too much about the place's future, honestly.

All too bad, because the Dippin Dots guy told ME that we're getting an aqua-track for hurricane harbor, and it will launch through the volcano, ala Volcano @ KD.

Edited by RollerManic

For example, It's not like you can just turn up the dialogue on movies to be louder than the effects audio, as opposed to something like a modern video game where you can.

As long as you have access to the original files, I think it's easy. See how the movies are translated into many languages. That's a proof music, effects and dialogues are all on different tracks. It will be VERY dumb for them to mix it all on a single track.

I rode this during the Gold Pass preview last Thursday. Actually, I was first in line for it. My take it this:

-awesome, unique experience for SFSTL

- some of the theming is painfully drab

- the audio is absolutely screwed up SO BAD (walking through the que you can't even hear what they are saying, it cuts in and out, the speakers are mounted way too far from the screens themselves)

- A lot of dead space during the ride itself. Why am I spinning around and then come face to face with LL on a small screen with so much room available - and then spin me around to barren wall?

- the guns quit working half way through the ride (on two out of the four rides I took that day) - our guns NEVER worked during that "tunnel" scene where all the little robot thingies are flying towards you

- the high score scene at the end only worked two of the four rides

LOADING is a BIG problem!

Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love the ride. I will love it A LOT more once it's actually working.

For example, It's not like you can just turn up the dialogue on movies to be louder than the effects audio, as opposed to something like a modern video game where you can.

As long as you have access to the original files, I think it's easy. See how the movies are translated into many languages. That's a proof music, effects and dialogues are all on different tracks. It will be VERY dumb for them to mix it all on a single track.

Well that's good, then. Hopefully they can make that adjustment.

Take this survey to reveal, at-the-moment, our current consideration for next year. I have no clue where it'll be.

https://feedback.sixflags.com/AdvisoryPanel/startsurvey.aspx?s=GADNAME&e=&utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email

Repeat for other parks. It works everywhere, but I'd take it that the ride is being considered for mass cloning. All the other surveys (even SFFT and SFMM *wtf*) are considering 4D Free Spins, so we should see a few pop up in 2016.

Kudos to NickLikesCoasters over at the SFGADv Discussion Thread.

Select RPM as your favorite name for my selfish reasons!

Edited by RollerManic

I agree about the audio. We have the same problem here at SFOT. I can't hear a word Batman is saying during the pre-ride show.

Hopefully they can fix this.

You know, while the inability to hear the dialog in JLBFM is a real problem, there's just something really cool about the sentence "I can't hear a word Batman is saying."