TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

I got into the park late today, but the place was pretty empty so I got a number of rides on boss, American thunder and some others. This is the first time I've been to the park since before the boss existed, and man, I'm impressed. I truly hope that if it gets RMC treatment, they just add topper track and keep the layout the same. It might be my new favorite coaster, RMC doesn't need to add any more craziness to it. Screaming eagle would be painful to loose too, and American Thunder is awesome as it is as well - so honesty, other than adding topper track, this isn't a park that really needs RMC to upgrade its coasters.

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow. This park is so much better than I remembered!

I also vote for just Topper Track and new Trains, although adding a Barrel-roll where the Bunny Hills are (behind the station) would be pretty awesome . The Layout is great ... just smooth it out.

Do Not touch Screamin' Eagle!

Replace the Ninja with a new or used B&M Floorless Multi-Element (something like Kraken or Scream), then SFSTL's coaster line-up would be complete.

The Boss is pretty rough, but it's a fun coaster. I'm sure RMC could make some cool changes, but that isn't necessary. Topper track and new trains is all that is needed. Screamin' Eagle is just fine the way it is and it wouldn't be a good candidate for RMC. Out and backs would limit what RMC could do and I think they realize that.

Here's the deal guys: I'm new here, but I've been following this thread for a long time (at least the past year or two). Recently, the Ninja has assumingly been the candidate for removal, but it's not true. When I spoke to the director of rides, he told me that the Ninja has one of the best riderships in the park. It's simply because it has a very steady flow of people riding it. I remember back in '04 when I first ride the ninja, the line would go down the stairs. Flash forward 10 years, and there is usually someone in the station, always. Now I haven't had the pleasure to visit the park like I used to before I moved, but the past couple of times this was the case. My observations tell me that someone is always waiting for it. I haven't seen it on busy days in many years, but I'd be interested to know.

All in all, he said himself that it will be here for a little longer. Tidal wave, he quotes, could hit the chopping block much sooner.

And yes, I did ask him what new coasters are in store for us. At the time of inquiring(Sept 2014), he said that a new coaster is included within around three more years of their five year plan. That put us in for 2017, and 2016 would be the off year. I'm not surprised we will have an off year after JLBFM.

EDIT: v That's great and all, but the GP seems to really still enjoy the ride. Shelf life or not, it's still popular (and most likely with first-time visitors). If they hadn't built boomerang, Tidal Wave would be another great fit. He did say though that any expansion (including a larger ride in Tidal Wave's current footprint) would require quite a bit of new utilities.

I'm not against the 4D free spin, I just cant cant see it happening soon. SFSTL also wants to keep it's "Coaster Capital of Missouri" title, considering the advertizing for it these past years. Their best interests would be to add, not replace.

Edited by RollerManic

Here's the deal guys: I'm new here, but I've been following this thread for a long time (at least the past year or two). Recently, the Ninja has assumingly been the candidate for removal, but it's not true. When I spoke to the director of rides, he told me that the Ninja has one of the best riderships in the park. It's simply because it has a very steady flow of people riding it. I remember back in '04 when I first ride the ninja, the line would go down the stairs. Flash forward 10 years, and there is usually someone in the station, always. Now I haven't had the pleasure to visit the park like I used to before I moved, but the past couple of times this was the case. My observations tell me that someone is always waiting for it. I haven't seen it on busy days in many years, but I'd be interested to know.

All in all, he said himself that it will be here for a little longer. Tidal wave, he quotes, could hit the chopping block much sooner.

And yes, I did ask him what new coasters are in store for us. At the time of inquiring(Sept 2014), he said that a new coaster is included within around three more years of their five year plan. That put us in for 2017, and 2016 would be the off year. I'm not surprised we will have an off year after JLBFM.

My reasoning for scrapping the Ninja are these:

1. The Ninja's current footprint would be perfect for a new Station and Lift Hill. The new coaster's layout could enter the east side of the park, plenty of room for any type of Element imaginable.

2. The Ninja has been here since the Mid 80's, it's shelf life is done.

SFSTL also wants to keep it's "Coaster Capital of Missouri" title, considering the advertizing for it these past years. Their best interests would be to add, not replace.

I just can't see SFSTL exceeding 9 coasters. The park is not that big nor do I think corporate would want it that 'big' either. Just a hunch.

That's ridiculous. The SFOT version is already open and you guys have to wait until June? So they're going to keep this thing closed for a whole

week after media day?

Oh....I'm sorry. It was actually my idea. I thought it might be fun to keep it closed for some extra time. Now that you mention it, keeping a new ride closed for no reason at all instead of opening it as soon as humanly possible does seem a bit silly.

It's also your fault we don't have a hyper.

So went out to the park today. Good day even with the rain. Everything was going good until we rode the train at about 8:30. Myself, wife and our baby were sitting in the front row of the last train car. As we were passing the crossing at the Boss we heard horrific screaming coming from about halfway back. My heart sank as we heard the words being yelled, he fell off, repeatedly. A little boy maybe 3, somehow fell off off the train as it was passing over that the end of the little trestle. Several people jumped off the train to get him. I'm not entirely sure what happened but we overheard that he almost ended up in the creek there. He looked to be ok but he was very upset (as anyone would be). He was favoring his leg. The conductor at the caboose did a phenomenal job. She immediately signaled to stop the train add tried to keep people calm. She was very shaken up but managed to keep a level head. They brought park EMT's over to transport the boy and his family to first aid. They got the train going again and the conductor didn't say anything until we got to the station and she did the usual exit spiel. She was very emotional at the station and had tears in her eyes. Kudos to her! I stopped by guest relations and gave her a guest compliment but they guy working the window didn't write anything down. I do know that as we were leaving the park and ambulance arrived at the park. I really hope everything is ok with him.

Cliffs: A dumb kid being dumb fell off a very slow moving train and limped away. No need to over dramatize it.

^ I would not be happy about that!

I would normally say that the Eagle is too historic to get Iron Horsed, but with Colossus getting it, I wouldn't be shocked by anything.

You my not be shocked or surprised, but I would. Colossus may have been historic, but it was a giant piece of crap, because Magic Mountain is a giant piece of crap which lets its roller coasters turn into giant pieces of crap. Screaming Eagle is in good shape where as Colossus was falling apart. Screaming Eagle is also one of the more popular coasters in the park, which is preferred over the Boss by most people I talk to. It's far less of a headache generator, where as the Boss is somewhat of an acknowledged problem even among the staff/leadership. An I-Box conversion on Screaming Eagle would make about as much sense as an I-Box conversion on American Thunder.

As far as the Ninja being removed, I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon. We're talking about the same park that graciously accepted a 27 year old boomerang. The Ninja will be taken down when it has structural issues and/or when replacement parts become unavailable. As for now it's completely functional and a lot of people still enjoy it. I'd rather take 3 spins on the Ninja than 1 spin on the Boss.

My prediction: The Boss will continue to hurt and nothing will be changed. Dave has already stated that it will likely cost too much to I-Box the entire ride and the park is unwilling (at this point) to shorten the ride. Our best bet at a new coaster comes in some fun but slightly mediocre form probably within the next 3-4 years. Maybe something like B:TR at Fiesta Tex........... Maybe in 20 years we'll get Goliath back from SF Georgia in used form when they clear the space for the next LiaviaFurython. Or probably not, which is why I will continue to travel for my thrills.

What about the Empire Theatre? I haven't seen it used in ages! And it's not a haunted house like the other stage down the midway.

Two ideas:

1. Renovate the building, and add a 1950'/1960's Gotham traffic themed bumper cars. The stadium seating means that when demolished, the side nearest the entrance will have higher walls. Put up some theming on this walls like those in the Batman park. Also, reuse the stage lighting to make a colorful Exit could be one of the two paths on the side of the building (left side is used for insanity alley exit). Although the right side has stairs, it could VERY easily flattened. Doing some estimations (Google Maps), I found the slope to be 1:25 (putting the angle of elevation at around 2.5*) which would mean that by ADA standards, it is NOT a ramp. The door at the landing has ample space to meet the requirements, or to be moved if not. If they are willing to build around insanity alley, they could just exit straight out into the plaza behind the aforementioned right-side stairs. The path needed in this case would only be a few of feet long. The entrance would be where the current theatre is now, and there would be many options for the queue. They could have switchbacks in the front, and then run it to the other side of the building (possibly where backstage is) and have the operators booth / gates there. For those of you who say that there's not enough space, the floor of SFGDv's Fender Benders is +/- 100 x 50 ft - and this ride was installed in 2012, meaning it's a pretty valid comparison. A large rectangular area of the Empire Theatre that could possibly house a bumper car floor is of the same dimensions. Back at SFGADv, the total footprint, with the queue and awning, is + / - 105 x 75 ft. I managed to get some very approximate measurements of solely the length the original 1973 Water Street Cab Company Bumper Cars, but remember that the building needed extra space for the older technology (presumably; I do remember that the floor didn't cover the entire length). It was ~145 ft long. Newer technology allows for no electrical net above the ride, creating a nicer atmosphere. The extra wing could house the utilities. This plan would allow for insanity alley to be kept.

2. Small kiddie coaster, replacing the entire structure. Something like a Zierer or Vekoma; lots of choices here, but I'd imagine the Gerstlauer is outruled, considering their terms with SF. Maybe add another side to the attached facade, and make it a backdrop for the ride? We really need a ride to replace the Acme Gravity Powered Roller Ride. I did not look at a location in Looney Toons, as they would have moved / replace it when they built the section not to long ago.

Both options would bring varied families in the Movie Backlot. I was told that SFSTL does not want to bring back the bumper cars, but I can't believe this.

EDIT: I spent an hour taking screenshots of the measurements as they appeared to me on Google maps, and birds' eye views from Bing, but they're not uploading! I don't want to spend anymore time trying to convert them!

Edited by RollerManic

I did have pov for Justice League, I did give it to Robb. I just don't think he's had a chance to upload it yet.

It's on the radar! Don't worry. It will get up in the next day or two. It has been quite the insane last few days! lol

What about the Empire Theatre? I haven't seen it used in ages! And it's not a haunted house like the other stage down the midway.

It's being used for a Looney Tunes show during the regular season and a hypnotist show for Fright Fest (the hypnotist show has been there for years). I don't think we will be seeing it leaving anytime soon.

Yeah the Empire theater is still in use. It actually got fresh paint past year. I think the theater you're thinking they don't use is Sound Stage No. 2. (The old chevy show building) I wish they'd bring that back!

I'd love to see what they could do to the Chevy Show with modern technology. I remember it being pretty cool as a kid.

Is the chevy show building large enough for a mouse in a box type coaster.

I see waterpark addition next year, but with 45the anniversary, who knows?

Edited by theymitbgi

So after a full day's visit, I've changed my tune just a tad about whether or not RMC is really needed at SFStL. The Boss was a bit rougher for some reason today - maybe it was due to more people on the train or the lack of rain. The second row, which on most coasters is typically far enough forward to escape the worst bashing, was brutal.

I still love the layout and the intensity, but even just adding topper track to the worst locations would do a huge deal of good here. They don't need to go crazy with an expensive I-Box conversion, just let them fix the few parts that are actually broken. The line got large today even with fairly small crowds and the roughness of this ride, reflecting it's continued popularity. I think it would be silly not to get RMC to do some reasonable, minor modifications.

Screamin Eagle is good though, it just needs typical classic coaster maintenance. American Thunder is a top-notch coaster as it stands.

I agree that Ninja's space could probably be put to better use with a new coaster, but it is worth noting that the coaster does still seem to get some crowds through it. It's rough in spots, but not unbearable like some of the larger Arrow creations have gotten at times.

It sucks that I'll miss out on the Justice League ride. I was a bit miffed that they are advertising how various levels of pass holders get to "preview" for the entire week before it actually "opens". That makes it sound like they could have just opened it this weekend but want another reason to push not just season passes, but gold season passes. I hope I'm being off base here, but that's the stuff that drives me nuts about parks these days and I hope it's not a sign of more to come.

It sucks that I'll miss out on the Justice League ride. I was a bit miffed that they are advertising how various levels of pass holders get to "preview" for the entire week before it actually "opens". That makes it sound like they could have just opened it this weekend but want another reason to push not just season passes, but gold season passes. I hope I'm being off base here, but that's the stuff that drives me nuts about parks these days and I hope it's not a sign of more to come.

No doubt they are trying to sell people on gold Level Season passes. The thing is Gold Level Passes are the same price as any other most of the year and going to a SF park just twice more than pays for a season pass.

Why they didn't do a season pass preview on Friday with Gold passes have 4-6 hours and regular passes having 2-4 hours is beyond me. It seems if the ride was 100% ready to open, you would want to start getting people through it ASAP to drive up attendance as soon as possible. I'm curious if it was open Friday night for the charity event?

No doubt they are trying to sell people on gold Level Season passes. The thing is Gold Level Passes are the same price as any other most of the year and going to a SF park just twice more than pays for a season pass.

Why they didn't do a season pass preview on Friday with Gold passes have 4-6 hours and regular passes having 2-4 hours is beyond me. It seems if the ride was 100% ready to open, you would want to start getting people through it ASAP to drive up attendance as soon as possible. I'm curious if it was open Friday night for the charity event?

Although I was not at the charity event, I was told yesterday by a Six Flags security person that it was not opened for that event.

Some Six Flags parks still have their Batmobiles. Anyone know what happened to the one that used to be at SFSTL? I know they removed the police car and threw it out in the junk pile/paintball field, but was curious about the Batmobile.

When we get Batman backwards I'm not sure I'm going to ride it. I've heard too many reports of it being nauseating.

Edit: I apologize for the double post. My phone messed up and I didn't think my comment posted.

Some Six Flags parks still have their Batmobiles. Anyone know what happened to the one that used to be at SFSTL? I know they removed the police car and threw it out in the junk pile/paintball field, but was curious about the Batmobile.

I was wondering the same thing! I wish they would bring that back!

When our park gets Batman backwards I'm not sure I'm going to ride it. I've heard too many reports of it being nauseating.

When? Who said we were getting namtaB?

I tried it at Georgia this month, and it was hella-nauseating! Really, there wasn't a soft spot anywhere (as in, not more intense than the original)

Namtab was tested at SFSTL. Oddly enough, someone said that Dave doesn't want it.

It's kind of odd that we don't have a Batmobile. It has nothing to do with the Movie Backlot area (not bring a Gotham) I'm sure.

I was wondering the same thing! I wish they would bring that back!

With the New Justice League: Battle For Metropolis and members of the Justice League roaming the park (Six Flags is auditioning super heroes), now would be a great time to bring back our Batmobile.