TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

Biggest question is: Do kids under 10 even know who Bugs, Daffy and Tweety are?

Not unless they have a YouTube channel. I don't think my kids even know how to bring up the guide on cable anymore.

What about Fievel, Barney, Woody Woodpecker, Dudley Do Right, Or Bernstein Bears? You could even throw in some Nick cartoons like Back at the Barnyard.

Course the bigger question is what is the problem? TV channels for not airing Looney Tunes or Warner Bros. for not making more Looney Tunes films?

Wait, First Cone is now included with the dining pass? Please tell me you can get a waffle cone! I did notice at Johnny Rockets that you can get onion-rings, half onion -rings and half fries or just fries as a snack there.

Those lamp posts look kinda out of place next to cool LED signage but I love it! Can't be too long until it actually opens which makes me wonder what the reason behind the postponed opening day is considering the facade is basically 100% finished as well as the interior. Unless there are some finishing touches to be done first? Not entirely sure but I'd rather have them take time to get everything right than open the ride hoping everything works and then have like shutdowns and things like that

(snip) But let's remember, there are a lot of things in the park that would seem out of place more than the landscaping (i.e. Pandemonium in the middle of the English section of the park).

Actually, this is my biggest gripe about SFStL: the park theming, such as it is, ranges from inconsistent to random to totally nonexistent, and it really detracts from the experience. I know that it's because it's an old park that grew organically and without any long range planning, and with no budget available to renovate and make things consistent from place to place in the park, but it still bugs me. I went to Universal Orlando two months ago and while the rides are way more big budget than SFStL, the thing that really made the experience was the overall theming. Wherever you went, the part of the park you were in made sense with regard to the ride, store, or restaurant in front of you. None of that "Pandemonium in the middle of the English section of the park" (and really, what makes that part of the park "English"? The wooden buildings?) Six Flags has individually themed rides, but nothing about the placement of anything is done to create a cohesive experience. For instance, you've got Ninja right across from the two Batman-themed rides, along with a Chinese restaurant, a hamburger place (Johnny Rockets) and a giant basketball game. Absolutely none of these things have anything to do with each other. And then there's that mysterious "Studio Backlot" sign on the train bridge leading to the aforementioned area, even though there is no "Movie Studio" theming whatsoever to be seen anywhere other than that one sign and two stores that have "studio" in the name. Why is that sign even there? At least with JLBFM opening, there will be two rides across from each other that bear some relationship to each other, since before, Mr. Freeze and Scooby Doo certainly didn't. This doesn't mean that the rides are any less fun, but there is absolutely nothing about SFStL that says "here I am at a theme park!" This is because there is no theme. It's mostly a random collection of rides, and I'm not knocking the rides, because they actually are lots of fun for a lower-budget park, and I am certainly hoping that JLBFM will live up to Six Flags' selling it as a Universal/Disney quality ride (I still find it hard to believe that Six Flags spent the money to live up to what I saw at Universal Orlando, but I'm definitely willing to reserve judgment.) But even with this hopefully fantastic new ride, it's just one more individual experience that is not part of a cohesive whole. And frankly, I don't know how this problem could be fixed.

I think you answered your own question when you referred to Six Flags as a lower budget park. Its just that, a lower budget park, so expectations need to be set accordingly. We've been to Universal two years in a row and thinking about going back next year (King Kong!). Its very expensive no doubt, but we feel like we get value, because its more than just the rides. The overall presentation and the park theming adds to the whole experience. We just don't have that expectation when we go to Six Flags, never will, but that's fine.

And as a Universal 'veteran' I too will be curious if JLBFM can even play in the same ballpark as Spiderman or Transformers. I doubt it will, but I would love to be wrong.

Wait, First Cone is now included with the dining pass? Please tell me you can get a waffle cone! I did notice at Johnny Rockets that you can get onion-rings, half onion -rings and half fries or just fries as a snack there.

We have 2 Johnny Rockets and we only get Milkshakes from there. We don't get Onion Rings anywhere in the park.

You can view a printer-friendly dining pass menu here: https://www.sixflags.com/sites/default/files/sfsl_meallist.pdf

However, they are working to update that sheet now that Firsf Cone has been added. I just called down there to confirm that you are able to get a regular waffle cone. If you would like a dipped cone, it is just $1 extra. Also, the main reason for the dining pass hours is that after 7:30, a lot of the locations shut down their dinner offerings as people stop coming in for dinner. A lot of the smaller stands will also close later in the evening, as it doesn't make financial sense to keep them open.

Also, to respond to ChrisGraslie's comment, Dave especially is making sure the ride is definitely ready to open before rushing into it, which could result in some major downtime.

We have 2 Johnny Rockets and we only get Milkshakes from there. We don't get Onion-rings in the park.

(snip) But let's remember, there are a lot of things in the park that would seem out of place more than the landscaping (i.e. Pandemonium in the middle of the English section of the park).

Actually, this is my biggest gripe about SFStL: the park theming, such as it is, ranges from inconsistent to random to totally nonexistent, and it really detracts from the experience. I know that it's because it's an old park that grew organically and without any long range planning, and with no budget available to renovate and make things consistent from place to place in the park, but it still bugs me. I went to Universal Orlando two months ago and while the rides are way more big budget than SFStL, the thing that really made the experience was the overall theming. Wherever you went, the part of the park you were in made sense with regard to the ride, store, or restaurant in front of you. None of that "Pandemonium in the middle of the English section of the park" (and really, what makes that part of the park "English"? The wooden buildings?) Six Flags has individually themed rides, but nothing about the placement of anything is done to create a cohesive experience. For instance, you've got Ninja right across from the two Batman-themed rides, along with a Chinese restaurant, a hamburger place (Johnny Rockets) and a giant basketball game. Absolutely none of these things have anything to do with each other. And then there's that mysterious "Studio Backlot" sign on the train bridge leading to the aforementioned area, even though there is no "Movie Studio" theming whatsoever to be seen anywhere other than that one sign and two stores that have "studio" in the name. Why is that sign even there? At least with JLBFM opening, there will be two rides across from each other that bear some relationship to each other, since before, Mr. Freeze and Scooby Doo certainly didn't. This doesn't mean that the rides are any less fun, but there is absolutely nothing about SFStL that says "here I am at a theme park!" This is because there is no theme. It's mostly a random collection of rides, and I'm not knocking the rides, because they actually are lots of fun for a lower-budget park, and I am certainly hoping that JLBFM will live up to Six Flags' selling it as a Universal/Disney quality ride (I still find it hard to believe that Six Flags spent the money to live up to what I saw at Universal Orlando, but I'm definitely willing to reserve judgment.) But even with this hopefully fantastic new ride, it's just one more individual experience that is not part of a cohesive whole. And frankly, I don't know how this problem/quote]

I think you answered your own question when you referred to Six Flags as a lower budget park. Its just that, a lower budget park, so expectations need to be set accordingly. We've been to Universal two years in a row and thinking about going back next year (King Kong!). Its very expensive no doubt, but we feel like we get value, because its more than just the rides. The overall presentation and the park theming adds to the whole experience. We just don't have that expectation when we go to Six Flags, never will, but that's fine.

And as a Universal 'veteran' I too will be curious if JLBFM can even play in the same ballpark as Spiderman or Transformers. I doubt it will, but I would love to be wrong.

As I have said over and over again, in terms of quality, it will be "in the same ballpark" as Universal. The real difference is the scale of the ride. However, this ride will have the interactive aspect, in addition to a couple other fun surprises. I would say that this ride does put a bit more emphasis on the physical sets than Transformers, but you'll see how cool that Joker animatronic will be when you ride.

I've ridden Transformers over a dozen times (including the rides on both coasts) and Spiderman a few times. I even leave for our vacation at Universal on May 26th.

In the end, all I can say at this point is that I am willing to stake my (what I hope is at least semi-dhd) reputation on the words above. I'm not a "everything is awesome" Six Flags shill, and I have even poked fun at the park here and there. I've toured the construction multiple times as things progressed, met multiple members of the design team, and even made a new friend in the form of the VP of Project Management at Sally. I'm not trying to sound abrasive or like a pretentious name-dropper; I'm only trying to find a way to at least turn your doubt into well-deserved skepticism. Honestly, I would be skeptical as well if I were in your position. Either way, I hope you'll get to ride it this summer and have a great time in the park!

When is the media day for this ride?

I'm super stoked to see how this ride will play out, the only thing I'm cautious about is the area with the tree's and the city skyline, it looks kinda cheap but I'll reserve opinions for when the ride is open. I'm glad to see Six Flag's step out of their comfort zone, I hope they will not just clone this ride for the other parks.

Truthfully, HWFan, I'm totally fine with JLBFM putting "a bit more emphasis on the physical sets than Transformers." In fact, I think that IoA's Spider-Man, despite being an older ride, is actually superior to Transformers preciselyd because Spider-Man integrates physical sets into the ride better than Transformers does. Transformers is really just one 3D screen after another with very little in the way of sets at all. What sets there are really just serve as wallpaper between the screens and aren't truly part of the ride. And your brain knows, even with the best 3D computer graphics, that you're watching a screen. Eventually the lack of physical sets gets you to a point where you are SO aware you are watching a screen that the ride becomes less convincing. Spider-Man integrates far more physical sets into the story between the screens and it works well. If JLBFM strikes the right balance, it could be better than Transformers. But, budget means something too, so I'm still reserving judgment. It's Missouri, after all, so show me.

Getting back to theming, or the lack thereof at SFStL, I totally recognize that the lower budget, the need to maintain the park during the winter, and the nature of a regional theme park means this park will never be on the level of a Universal or a Disney. Still, though, I really think the park could do better than it does. And to those who say, to paraphrase, "the rides are good, take the park for what it's worth," two responses: overall theming IS important to the GP because it's what gets people to have an overall image of the park beyond just a bunch of rides, and two, I'll never forget the reaction of my son, 7 at the time and a HUGE fan of SFStL, to his first sight on Universal. We had just entered IoA and walked about halfway through Seuss Landing. We hadn't even ridden anything yet. He looked around, eyes wide, and said, "Wow! This place is way better than Six Flags!" That's what good theming can do. No, Six Flags will never look like Islands of Adventure. But I still say more importance could be given to creating an overall look, and it IS important.

I'm super stoked to see how this ride will play out, the only thing I'm cautious about is the area with the tree's and the city skyline, it looks kinda cheap but I'll reserve opinions for when the ride is open. I'm glad to see Six Flag's step out of their comfort zone, I hope they will not just clone this ride for the other parks.

I've gotten a few emails from our local news stations for contests to be one of the first to ride on media day. Those emails are saying this Friday, May 22.

All the discussion about Iron Reef's capacity is starting to worry me about JLBFM. I mean, they have 8 cars with 8 passengers each, and JLBFM will have 7 cars with 6 passengers each. I don't know how different the attendance numbers of KBF and SFSTL are, but I'm still a bit worried.

I've gotten a few emails from our local news stations for contests to be one of the first to ride on media day. Those emails are saying this Friday, May 22.

Ah, really? If so I'm surprised they haven't come out with any news regarding when it's opening

Ah, really? If so I'm surprised they haven't come out with any news regarding when it's opening

All the discussion about Iron Reef's capacity is starting to worry me about JLBFM. I mean, they have 8 cars with 8 passengers each, and JLBFM will have 7 cars with 6 passengers each. I don't know how different the attendance numbers of KBF and SFSTL are, but I'm still a bit worried.

I ran into Dave Roemer two weeks ago at the park and took the opportunity to ask him about this very issue. He said they are well aware of the possibility of excessively long lines, and if necessary are prepared to use return tickets so people don't have to stand around for hours.

I ran into Dave Roemer two weeks ago at the park and took the opportunity to ask him about this very issue. He said they are well aware of the possibility of excessively long lines, and if necessary are prepared to use return tickets so people don't have to stand around for hours.

I was concerned about capacity months ago, and it just seemed to be ignored. I fear 2-3 hour waits for this ride in the beginning. Scooby still would have 45 min+ waits many days and it was higher capacity.

I was concerned about capacity months ago, and it just seemed to be ignored. I fear 2-3 hour waits for this ride in the beginning. Scooby still would have 45 min+ waits many days and it was higher capacity.

Scooby was higher capacity while running all 22 boats and using both sides of the station. Last season, most of the time it was operating at a lower capacity than the projected capacity for JLBM.

Scooby was higher capacity while running all 22 boats and using both sides of the station. Last season, most of the time it was operating at a lower capacity than the projected capacity for JLBM.

Also, after reading the mention of Iron Reef, I went to the KBF message board and read the discussion, and Iron Reef is not actually running 8 cars with 8 passengers each. It's supposed to, yes, but apparently with the mechanical problems they've been having, the last thing I saw mentioned was, to quote one of the newest posts, "When I was there on Saturday they were operating with only six of the eight trains. The other two were in the maintenance bay." Also, there is no single rider line, so the cars are not always going out filled. FInally, per the board, they are having huge problems with loading and unloading the cars because apparently the doors don't open and close correctly, which is slowing down the load times. So, I wouldn't panic over what is going on with Iron Reef.

Having said that, the ride capacity is still going to be an issue, but I think using return tickets, as Dave indicated was under consideration, will be a reasonable short term solution.

HWFan, is JLBFM going to have a single rider line? Keeping those cars filled can have a major effect on ride capacity. I hate to keep harping on how Universal Orlando does things (well, not really, because there are lessons to be learned), and they have a single rider line for all the rides that tend to have long lines, and it really helps.

I just looked at the contest to be the first to ride JLBFM on May 28th, and it contains an important piece of info I hadn't seen before: the height requirement is 42". Good to know.

That is a very interesting if rather overproduced video, but how much of the animation shown is from the actual ride? Honestly, the animation that can be seen there is not at all impressive, but (as I posted in the SFOT thread) I suspect that the CGI effects shown in this video are a combination of the actual ride animation and animation done for this video. It really doesn't show all that much of the "screens" portion of the ride. I'm hoping that the actual ride experience will be far better than what is shown here with regard to the animation.

What little can be seen of the practical effects portion of the ride looks great! The effect of the Joker shooting and the barrel exploding with fire is awesome, and actually reminds me of a scene in IoA's Spider-Man where an on-screen Green Goblin throws a CGI bomb which results in a physical fireblast.