TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

Will Justice League: Battle For Metropolis Succeed At Six Flags?

Why/how would it fail?? I am sure it will be a huge hit for the regular crowd. I am not convinced, however, if it is really what the park needs. We will see if it boosts attendance, time will tell.

I'm sure it will do great also. I love the fact that Six Flags is stepping outside their comfort zone and creating a new attraction that's going to amaze many people. I'm just ready to see what the finish product will look like, especially a POV.

Why/how would it fail?? I am sure it will be a huge hit for the regular crowd. I am not convinced, however, if it is really what the park needs. We will see if it boosts attendance, time will tell.

What the park needs is to have fewer broken things. Hannibarrels was the huge eyesore, and it's now tremendously improved. This can be nothing but good for them. It should save on maintenance costs vs. Scooby-Doo in addition to fitting the DC Plaza theme and really sealing the immersion there. I vote the park keep up this practice of replacing old, broken rides and at the same time renovating the whole ride area.

What the park needs is to have fewer broken things. Hannibarrels was the huge eyesore, and it's now tremendously improved. This can be nothing but good for them. It should save on maintenance costs vs. Scooby-Doo in addition to fitting the DC Plaza theme and really sealing the immersion there. I vote the park keep up this practice of replacing old, broken rides and at the same time renovating the whole ride area.

The park really has improved over the course of the past 10 years, agreed. It will be interesting to see how Holiday World compares with SFSTL this 2015 season ... flashy new coaster vs flashy new dark ride.

So, anyway enough talk of more steel coaster/ninja/S&S 4D stuff does anyone have some more pictures of things on Opening Weekend? Im curious to see if they are still working on stuff around the park other than JL:BFM

I didn't take many pics but here are some "renovations" I noticed:

-Go Fresh Cafe and a new chicken restaurant are now sharing the space where Character Cafe was

-Smokehouse's patio has been extended with lots of new outdoor seating

-Palace has been repainted/freshened up

-The gift shop near Shazam is now called "Superheros and Villains" and has lots of Justice League merch

Go check out HWFan's post a few pages back. He has pictures of all the things I mentioned.

They really needed to extend the smokehouse area. There was never a place for me to sit while I was there.

Okay, so due to a hard drive failure, I wasn't able to spend time on TPR this weekend, but hopefully I'm not too late to respond to some questions/comments:

Some good, some bad. We waited in line at gust relations for almost two hours to get my two sons' passes reprinted. This should be totally and completely unacceptable. I don't understand why someone doesn't work the line that can solve the "easy" problems.

I really do apologize for that. Guest Relations actually received upgrades allowing faster service over the off season, however the main thing last weekend was staffing. Normally you would've seen at least one or two people 'running the line' but it is the part of the season where the entire park is kinda squished for staff. At least from this point until we are back to weekends only, opening weekend is the lowest the staffing level will be for the season. Even next weekend it'll be better.

Just curious,we know Dave doesn't read these forums, but does the park have a social media liason that does? It seems the last couple of years twitter and FB have been forgotten about by the park?

I know my manager reads these forms occasionally (he might be reading them after this weekend) and he takes some of the criticism and tries to improve operations based on it. As far as the Facebook and Twitter pages, I think they could be used more effectively (They did use them really well today to help keep people informed of the situation and to promote JLBM) but I'm not sure exactly how all that is setup. They do replay occasionally on post but it seems to be mostly on Twitter. I remember my first season at the park an employee actually received a compliment via Twitter, I don't think it has ever happened again, but it was kinda cool.

As far as I know, nobody from the communications/marketing departments reads the forums. I do take a lot of feedback and pass it along when I can. For example, my last tour of JLBM was with Dave Roemer & our director of food/retail/games who was responsible for the new dining pass options. I made sure to give him the positive feedback that the new options resulted in.

My last big conversation on this was last June, so things very well could have changed. However, Facebook & Twitter is about 50% park and 50% corporate. Things are slowly changing to allow the parks to have more of an individual "voice" (think Paula and HW's Twitter/Facebook). At the same time, at least with Facebook, a lot of the posts are all based on the analytics from past posts. Off-season pictures or videos, like Dave did one year, were almost negatively received. Thus, there isn't as much of that anymore.

I think the lighting is really going to play an important role due to their being many real scenery pieces. There are far fewer screens than Spiderman and Transformers so this will be interesting. I really hope that this ride is good, I'd love to see them put one in Great Adventure!

You're absolutely right! The lighting is key, and the lighting designer, as I may have mentioned a while ago, was the lighting designer for the Disney castles, every ride at IOA & USF when the parks opened, in addition to plethora of other projects. He actually started his career as a lighting roadie with the Barenaked Ladies and remembers coming to SFSL for a show.

So, anyway enough talk of more steel coaster/ninja/S&S 4D stuff does anyone have some more pictures of things on Opening Weekend? Im curious to see if they are still working on stuff around the park other than JL:BFM

This off season has seen the most investment in overall park renovation and infrastructure repair/expansion in at least a decade. The paint crew has had way more work than they can handle (in a good way). At 5:00pm on the Thursday evening before opening day, there were four guys repainting the metal detectors with black paint to make that area look as best as possible. There have also been things that you won't see like a significantly enlarged maintenance area, allowing for more efficient & easier maintenance of anything at the park. Similarly, a fair amount of new asphalt has been poured in the backstage maintenance area of the park. I would expect to see more painting and other renovations continue through the spring and hopefully summer.

The park really has improved over the course of the past 10 years, agreed. It will be interesting to see how Holiday World compares with SFSTL this 2015 season ... flashy new coaster vs flashy new dark ride.

In terms of the park looking towards the future considering other parks in the same market like Holiday World, you can bet SFSL is planning the new rides, ticket/pass or other offerings, and general updates/renovations with Holiday World in mind. As Holiday World starts moving into the STL area with their marketing (I know there was at least a Mammoth billboard on I-55 last year, and most of the marketing has been part of an overarching "Visit Indiana" campaign), SFSL is going to really focus on shoring up deficiencies that visitors may perceive compared to HW.

Not convinced if JLBM is what the park really needs? It's family focused and surpasses anything that HW can offer. Remember that even with HW's new coaster, that alone won't persuade the vast majority of Guests to visit HW. HW had a rather clever marketing campaign last season that came in the form of billboards reading, "GO BIG! Not far!" It'd be hard not to think about the Six Flags slogan of "GO BIG! GO SIX FLAGS!" It'll be interesting seeing how the next few years go, but the bottom line is that the majority of Guests that visit SFSL have never been to, don't plan to visit, and don't really know what/where Holiday World is. HW is an awesome park, but at this point, HW doesn't really pose much of a threat at SFSL's attendance for at least a season or two. Luckily for SFSL, they can use this time cushion to really strengthen any areas that may need work to compete with HW, and HW is doing the same (this year with Thunderbird, for example). Six Flags as a company has an overwhelming amount of data, very accurate data, that represents its markets, which it uses to strategically plan expansion.

--------------------------------------------

Well that's enough typing for now I guess. Hopefully I was able to give some amount of insight to a few things, but this is still just my 'unofficial' view of things based on the information & trends I know. Either way, it should be a record-setting year for both SFSL & HW, which is great news for enthusiasts and everyone who enjoys the parks!

^ I love reading everything that has been done at the park even if it is not seen, improvement is always key!

Although the thought of "expansion" including rides is also great! Anyway I am very excited to see the park in latish may.

P.S. - I live in Illinois and I have not heard a peep about HW from anyone else, only SFSL!

^Thank you both for the good feedback. Here's a few pics that were taken the night before opening, especially for those who weren't at the park opening weekend.

image.thumb.jpg.e39308e79f2f340d52cc9e1c640b4668.jpg

Finally, a pic of the Palace as it sports nice green shingles towards the end of it's extensive and extremely costly renovation.

The offices for Operations (Admissions, Rides, Harbor, & Park Services), Retail (Merchandise, Games, & Food), and Security all have offices on the second floor directly above the shops in the front mall. The building in the pic above is interesting as you can always hear each train of the Boss going by right outside. Also, while this is rather random, I really believe 702 (the building name that is used among employees for it) is haunted. Okay, so just a warning, it's random story time. Feel free to scroll past the following paragraph:

I didn't believe in ghosts, or at least I didn't believe one bit that the 702 was haunted, even though a lot of the long-time team members swore it was. I did know that in 2013 they actually changed some of the security procedures for the building because of some unexplained events. These would happen most to the switchboard operators summer Saturday nights & late night during Fright Fest. After 8:00 or 9:00, the operator would pretty much be the only person in the whole building, besides the possibility of someone coming in & out just to grab something for IT. During early October, I picked up a switchboard shift from 8:00pm-midnight on a Saturday night following my day GR shift. It was great because I only got about one call per hour with no calls after 10:30. However, due to security, emergency, and just general Guest-serving reasons, it is a position that must be staffed if the park is open.

So I turned up the speakers in the ceiling, playing like 103.3fm, without the ability to change it. Then around 10:45, I started hearing some noise, like things moving around & doors opening/closing. I thought there was an IT guy there (the IT office is right behind & catty-corner to the switchboard). I eventually just went the five feet from the phone and realized that everything was locked up tight. I ended up searching the entire building, most of it pitch black, as I was sure someone was there. When I got to the other end of the building, I got the chills so bad and immediately heard a door slam. It was in a place that there would be no way that a person could have done it. I also checked with security, IT, and promotions/marketing later and confirmed that none of them were in the building. So it's now about 11:50 and Centerfold, the oldie but goodie, came on and as I grabbed the knob to turn it up a little (I had the volume almost silent because it had been commercials), I hear the words, clear as day, "Turn. It. Down. Josh." I flipped out, and grabbed my stuff, then went out of the building the long way, because my brain was telling me that someone had to be there, but just like before, nobody was there. As soon as the door closed and I was on the porch, I could barely breathe. My adrenaline was pumping so hard, and I had no idea what just happened. When it told me to turn down the music & said my name, I was in shock. It was insane. I had to wait a half hour before I could even really drive home.

And that, kids, is how I met your mo...err...started believing in ghosts. You can think what you want, but that really was the weirdest/scariest experience of my life. But yea, sorry for the random story time. Onto more pics now!

Finally, a pic of the Palace as it sports nice green shingles towards the end of it's extensive and extremely costly renovation.

If you look at the pictures of JLBM at SFOT, it very much feels like a huge industrial-type, plain old corrugated metal building with a giant Hall of Justice entrance facade stuck on the front. Besides being bigger overall, the JLBM building at SFSL will really look cool as a very cohesive themed facade.

One random bit of info about the concrete (I know, this is so exciting ) is that the newer concrete sections that feature the square-cut-diagonally pattern isn't just normal concrete. It is a heavy duty, multi-layered material that is made to resist the strong roots from the huge trees in that area, which is why it had to be replaced anyway.

Even though the theme of the park has shifted since it opened in 1971, I think it's cool how there is still the plaque, commemorating the opening of Six Flags Mid-America. Below it, you'll see a small & much newer sign reminding Guests that all change thrown into the park's fountains is donated to charity.

Hopefully you enjoyed this very nerdy, somewhat spooky, mini-update. It's time for me to get some homework done, but again, if anyone is visiting the park this month, send me a message if you want to try to have a small "meeting" for lunch or something. I know that Dave said if a few people wanted to meet for lunch, he would do his best (although his really busy schedule can change in an instant) to stop by and say hi.

image.thumb.jpg.cefdb0959d36c6fffa255a1245fa3d8c.jpg

In case anyone was wondering, here are the hours for the dining pass, including the snack.

image.thumb.jpg.4467ff81d89c3354b773c71a218102de.jpg

I could be wrong, but I think that this is part of an initiative for different groups of team members to take ownership per se in keeping different areas of the park clean/nice.

image.thumb.jpg.6146d459be76e7c5c76eec8f494a9845.jpg

Painting the metal detectors.

image.thumb.jpg.a5c915ea3d3d57fb1deba2b90892fe12.jpg

To allow more room in the area between the ticket booths & front gate, the four planters (give or take) were removed. As you can see, the planters were built right on top of the original concrete. Kinda interesting if you like boring stuff like me ;)

image.thumb.jpg.4aa6089eee3bff1e6891c3f6929b847e.jpg

That night before opening, the fountains & park music playlist were both going strong. It was when the reality sets in.

image.thumb.jpg.64c19df6dd72b2c8cb3ec6f8c055e793.jpg

No crowds. Kinda beautiful. No? Okay, moving on...

image.thumb.jpg.e85d88658869d0f0c8c1a530bfcde0f4.jpg

The concept art for JLBM.

image.thumb.jpg.cd78696966f2a6f4ccb714923b7be8f7.jpg

Another view of the renovated exit shop.

image.thumb.jpg.26a8eabcb49938e1c754d3423e43f62e.jpg

Here's a peek at what the entrance to the newly renovated shop from the exits of JLBM and Shazam.

image.thumb.jpg.b82c5145e0c504042d09df84012342e0.jpg

This is actually the main park administration building, containing the offices for people like Dave, Finance, Promotions, Marketing, etc.

image.thumb.jpg.58baf25df18956794396c0bdc9d7eb85.jpg

A good look at the expanded seating area behind the Mr. Freeze entrance facade.

image.thumb.jpg.50fad3897c33f0dd73eba379209a651d.jpg

The new stamped concrete that is replacing the wooden boardwalk in front of Miss Kitty's Saloon (shows start May 16th, by the way).

image.thumb.jpg.16e018586bad3fa14e3d986d3ed0f285.jpg

What will become the exit of JLBM.

image.thumb.jpg.d75a6a39635e30f7905ae04882133f60.jpg

The last couple years there was one of those big misty signs, but with the hill, slipperiness could be dangerous. So new sign. No misty...and of course JLBM!

Hopefully you enjoyed this very nerdy, somewhat spooky, mini-update. It's time for me to get some homework done, but again, if anyone is visiting the park this month, send me a message if you want to try to have a small "meeting" for lunch or something. I know that Dave said if a few people wanted to meet for lunch, he would do his best (although his really busy schedule can change in an instant) to stop by and say hi.

Actually saw Dave out squeegeeing the entrance as we walked into the park Friday morning and saw him again as we were in the smoking area. Walked right up and shook my hand when we first saw him as we chat a little bit every time I see him.

What hotels do you guys recommend for Six Flags St. Louis? Looking to spend $100 or under / night if feasible. Holiday Inn at the park is $135 per night after tax. Worth the extra price for convenience?

No, plenty of good options nearby. At 44 & 141 you can get either a Hampton or a Drury for around $100. If you're more budget-minded, Travelodge in Grey Summit is a good 2-star hotel for around $70. Those hotels are all about 10 minutes drive from the park. If you have a parking pass, you really should look further afield. I have personally stayed in all three hotels I mentioned and would recommend all of them.

What hotels do you guys recommend for Six Flags St. Louis? Looking to spend $100 or under / night if feasible. Holiday Inn at the park is $135 per night after tax. Worth the extra price for convenience?

No, plenty of good options nearby. At 44 & 141 you can get either a Hampton or a Drury for around $100. If you're more budget-minded, Travelodge in Grey Summit is a good 2-star hotel for around $70. Those hotels are all about 10 minutes drive from the park. If you have a parking pass, you really should look further afield. I have personally stayed in all three hotels I mentioned and would recommend all of them.

You're the man! Thanks.

That ghost story was actually really scary! I loved the pics! Thank you for being so active on the forum bringing us great information! Also, I personally love boring history stuff so keep it coming!

Side note: This is my two year anniversary on the TPR forums

So i'm wondering, will the other end of the ride building for JLBM be changed at all? If you don't know what i'm talking about, i mean the end near where American Thunder sits. I think that end was re-painted for Scooby-Doo, correct me if i'm wrong. Also, it'd be cool to see views and parts of DC Comics Plaza as you make your way around walking from the other tunnel into where American Thunder sits. They could even put something on the top of the entrance to the tunnels on both the sides where you walk into the main area of DC Comics Plaza from near the Palace Theater if they wanted to. Although there's already lots of signage and it's marked in the map obviously it'd still add a little touch to the area IMO

This seems like the part of the park that either you'll want to go to for JLBM or stay the heck away from because of the envisioned monster crowds

I'll second the recommendation on the Hampton Inn. I stayed there when I visited the park last year, and it was easily one of the best Hamptons I've stayed at over the years (and the cheapest!).

Thanks. I am actually thinking about the Drury Inn & Suites Fenton. 17 min drive from park and $218 after taxes both nights with free breakfast and wifi.

I was just on my way back up from getting lunch in the park (I'm working in the 702/admin building today), and the large garage door for the big maintenance building was open. I can honestly say I froze because of just how cool/bad***/incredible/huge the two newly-delivered ride vehicles look. They were wrapped in plastic and sitting on large wooden pallets with a lot of the wiring/electrical components exposed (under a layer of plastic of course). I took a couple pics, but as I've said before, if the park spends that much money on a ride, I want to make sure they are okay with me posting the pictures first. I'll know by 5:00 though!

Also, thank you to everyone who posted their pictures, feedback, and trip reports from last weekend. I took Dave on here and let him read your comments/experiences. Finally, on a related note, remember that if you're planning on visiting the park any time this year, definitely send me a PM if you're interested in meeting up. It has been a beautiful weekend so far, especially with today being an absolutely perfect day to be in the park from what I've seen. I can't wait until I get a chance to ride a American Thunder & Mr. Freeze!

EDIT: The park's PR department will get the privilege of sharing some pictures soon, which will be better as they can get some good angles and closeup shots.

Hi all, been lurking here for ages but figured it was about time to sign up. So I made my second trip to SFSL today and the progress on the JLBFM facade looked great. You can really tell what it's going to look like now. I know this has been raised before (way in the past), but now that the ride is getting close to completion, I'm still wondering about the capacity. It's pretty simple math: if the ride is 3:20 long, and there's a 40 second load/unload time, each car cycles through the ride once every 4 minutes, which is 15 times per hour. 15 cycles per car per hr x 6 riders/car x 7 cars = 630 riders per hour.

For comparison's sake:

Pandemonium: 1400 riders per hour (per Wikipedia) I don't know the number of trains or the ride length, so I can't check this number.

The Boss: 960 riders per hour (Wikipedia says 1400, but that would require running 3 trains, which never happens). 2 trains x 20 cycles per train per hr * 24 riders per train = 960 riders per hour. This assumes the load/unload time is "pipelined" meaning as soon as one train pulls in, the next one leaves, so the load/unload time can be ignored. If trains have to wait, the capacity would be reduced, but that doesn't happen often in my experience.

American Thunder: 2 trains x 24 riders per train * 18 trains cycles per train per hour = 864 riders per hour (Wikipedia says 850 so I''m close)

So JLBFM is going to have a ride capacity significantly lower than other major SFSL rides. Should I just get on line now to have a hope of getting on it when it opens?

Seriously, if it turns out to be really popular, this is going to be a serious problem. At 630 riders per hour, if SFSL is open from 10:30 am through 9 pm, that's 10.5 hours, which means no more than 6,615 people can ride it in any given day, and that's assuming they all get on line at once when the park opens, or at least evenly space themselves out throughout the day at exactly 630 riders per hour. If, as seems more likely, the majority of attendees arrive in the afternoon and leave after a few hours, the problem becomes far worse. Does anyone know what the average attendance is at SFSL per day? I mean, it isn't an issue with the Boss or even American Thunder because not everybody rides those rides -- and they also have significantly greater ride capacity than JLBFM. But if this ride becomes insanely popular, I think they are going to have to give out return tickets for anyone to actually get on it in a reasonable way, and if daily attendance exceeds 6,615, the excess of people won't be able to ride it at all (and again, that assumes people are evenly spaced out over time when trying to board the ride, which won't be the case).

If this ride succeeds at attracting increased attendance, there could well be a lot of upset people.

^The capacity will be far greater than Scooby Doo's. SD probably dispatched a boat every 30 seconds, which means 120 times each hour. Multiply that by 4 people a boat (but let's be honest, most of the time it was 2 or 3 in a boat), and you get 480. In reality though, let's multiple 120 by 3, since that's the # of riders it normally had, and we get 360.

I'd say Justice League will probably only have 4-5 riders in each car, so let's do your equation with that number (15x4.5x7) and you get 472ish riders an hour.

Capacity may be a small issue, but honestly I'm just glad they are giving us a state of the art attraction.

I can possibly make a trip down to the park around May 16th-19th. Could Justice League possibly be open by this time? How would the crowds be? Would it be a good time to go?

My home park is Great America and I know that schools make trips around that time to the park. Is it the same case here?

Also normally rides are not running at full capacity, how does St Louis do about this?

I can possibly make a trip down to the park around May 16th-19th. Could Justice League possibly be open by this time? How would the crowds be? Would it be a good time to go?

My home park is Great America and I know that schools make trips around that time to the park. Is it the same case here?

Also normally rides are not running at full capacity, how does St Louis do about this?

A team member at Heroes vs Villians gave me an opening date of May 24th which I thought was odd because that's a Sunday. As far as full capacity, I was at the park this past Sunday and Batman and Ninja were both running two trains. The Boss was running at least two trains. The American Thunder was down to one train. I didn't see the other American Thunder train on the transfer track, so I'm guessing it's out for maintenance or some awesome Got 2 Be hair gel advertising wrap.

Edited by SFStl Fan

Opening weekend a park employee told me May 24th was the opening for JLBFM. I saw Dave later in the day and asked him about it, and he said no, the date has not been set, and won't be until the vehicles are on the tracks and they know it's working. He did not say it would not be the 24th, just that it has not been set yet.

Was at the park on Sunday. I must say the Boss gave a much better ride than the last time I rode it. Must be the new wood along the track some places. The Hall of Justice is coming along nicely. It may have been mentioned before, but are they going to leave the side of the building (opposite of Shazam) grey with the old Scooby trees or are they going to paint over it? At first I thought leaving it wouldn't really make a difference, but it does face the train so passengers on the train will see it. Speaking of the train, a lot of props for the Radio Active Rails were still up.

The Spillway sign that replaced the rocks on the Thunder River at the waterfall looked good and was a great idea. Not a big deal, but the Highland Fling was SBNO as the gondolas for the ride were sitting in the maintenance area.

A new thing this year is the Shopping Pass. Last year I think they called it a VIP package. For $19.99, you get a Limited Edition T-Shirt, Hat, Drawstring bag and 20% off retail purchases. Even if you don't buy anything else, $19.99 for the hat, shirt and bag is a good deal. So, the wife took the bait and walked away with some Six Flags St Louis swag. As this is "new", there are some wrinkles to be ironed out. Specifically, it seems not all cashiers are familiar with making sure the discount is applied.

The green sports bottle appears to be a hit. I didn't see too many 2015 red sports bottles and I'm guessing the ones I did see were from the end of last season when they were offered with free refills with the purchase of a dining pass.

A team member at Heroes vs Villians gave me an opening date of May 24th which I thought was odd because that's a Sunday. As far as full capacity, I was at the park this past Sunday and Batman and Ninja were both running two trains. The Boss was running at least two trains. The American Thunder was down to one train. I didn't see the other American Thunder train on the transfer track, so I'm guessing it's out for maintenance or some awesome Got 2 Be hair gel advertising wrap.

YES! There is still hope for it to be open on May 21st!