TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

Okay, after reading the last few pages of this thread, I can't help but laugh a little bit. Don't get me wrong, I see both sides of the story. Some of you are pissed off that the park isn't getting a major attraction, at least in your eyes. Yet, we have a very nice employee who seems to care about the park and his job (also gives us some good insider tips even though he doesn't have to) giving us some very valid reasons why all the stuff that has been added to the park over these past few years actually makes sense from a business standpoint. So let me clarify something, some of you think that boycotting the park until a major roller coaster is announced is going to make it happen faster? I mean, no offense, but the majority of the people who might be with you in this boycott probably only represent maybe 1% of the parks attendance. Let's look at this from a business standpoint. The parks who seem to be getting major attractions lately in the Six Flags chain are the ones actually probably making enough profit to justify one. It would make sense for corporate to invest in SFStL so it could become even more profitable than it currently sits, but at what expense does that take away from the other parks? You have to remember, that Six Flags is still in recovery mode from their economic downfall from 2010. They're in no position to really make large investments into any of their parks. Why do you think that the majority of their investments have ranged from redoing existing wooden coasters, purchasing rides in bulk, attaching drop towers onto existing structures, and now redoing dark rides. Yes Great America got X-Flight and Goliath in the last three years, but as I mentioned before, perhaps they've actually been turning a profit that justify's getting both those rides. By the way, they didn't spend over 15 million on either ride. Yes, Fiesta Texas is probably getting a new concept 4D roller coaster, but it only costs 7 million dollars. So basically, until Six Flags as a chain can turn everything around (and they're on the right path based on their stock numbers recently) there will be no real major investment made into this park. Perhaps we'll see RMC on The Boss, but not the 200 foot hyper some feel this park needs. As I've said before, boycotting the park isn't going to help make this major investment come any faster, as you probably only represent maybe 1% of the attendance. But maybe showing up, paying the money and supporting the park might just make it happen a little faster. The more profit the park is able to turn, the more likely we'll see some type of big investment. BTW, I'm just happy that the Six Flags closest to me has a good management team and most of the employees seem to care about their jobs!

As a Darien Lake fan, I feel the SFStL fans' pain. We haven't seen a major coaster installed in 15 years now. Is it fair for either park? No. But boycotting and writing negative comments never will help in the long run.

You always get that person who has had a bad experience with the park, and swears that he'll never come back. But nine times out of ten, yes he will be back. If people are angry at something, they are more likely to say something about it than if they had a great time. Out of the thousands of people who visit the park daily, maybe 5 or 10 will complain online. If the park does see a lot of people who boycott or don't come back, they will surely not add a coaster for awhile.

The best way to speed up the process is to just suck it up, and keep visiting. Convince your friends to go. Convince family members and co-workers to go. The more people that go, the better. If the park sees even one more guest per group that visits, it will help. Once Six Flags sees a large profit, they will spend the money and build big.

, plus some new flats (Bumper Cars specifically). That's about it...

I don't think bumper cars would be a good idea as we just removed them this year.

They were removed last year and I understand - they were old, used and abused (original attraction from '72). However every amusement should have bumper cars. They need to replace them imo. It is a solid family attraction.

Bumper Cars are in the "master plan" to return in the future. Unfortunately the older bumper cars were slowly turning into a water ride on certain days.

The Boomerang was specifically placed their to keep the bumper cards from becoming another Hannibarrels. The ride had to be closed, so the best way to get money for demolition is if there is something new for that spot. This is the same reason why the Hannibarrels are where they are. Every single year since they closed, demolition of the Hannibarrels was on the park's list of to-do's but never received the funding.

No big deal... the Bumper cars were not part of the original Park. They were added with the Old Chicago section of the Park when it was built. I helped remove the tarp on the ocean container that the cars were shipped in from Italy. in fact I have a cut on my finger that I received from the metal edge of the shipping container when I was unlacing the tarp. I have a permanent reminder...I miss those days.

, plus some new flats (Bumper Cars specifically). That's about it...

I don't think bumper cars would be a good idea as we just removed them this year.

They were removed last year and I understand - they were old, used and abused (original attraction from '72). However every amusement should have bumper cars. They need to replace them imo. It is a solid family attraction.

Bumper Cars are in the "master plan" to return in the future. Unfortunately the older bumper cars were slowly turning into a water ride on certain days.

The Boomerang was specifically placed their to keep the bumper cards from becoming another Hannibarrels. The ride had to be closed, so the best way to get money for demolition is if there is something new for that spot. This is the same reason why the Hannibarrels are where they are. Every single year since they closed, demolition of the Hannibarrels was on the park's list of to-do's but never received the funding.

That's good to hear! Thanks for the scoop.

No one is "boycotting" Six Flags. There are many of us who aren't returning, because there is not a good enough reason to return. We're tired of riding the same selection that lacks quality modern steel.

I'll speak for myself when I say the park doesn't offer a selection that caters to what I personally want. Batman and American Thunder are solid rides, but they don't justify the expense of going to the park. I'll gladly spend that money 5 hours away at King's Island or somewhere else that does offer a modern day ride selection that I enjoy. I used to absolutely enjoy Mr. Freeze, but the marketing ploy of taking a perfectly good coaster and turning it backwards really made me salty. It was always one of my favorites, but turning it backwards completely changed the dynamics for me.

If they offered just two state of the art steel coasters that I enjoyed it would be worth the admission for me, just as it used to be. However, since I no longer enjoy Freeze, there isn't enough to bring me back. There's no boycott.

I was going reply with generally the same message. When the park warrants the price of admission I will go back too. I was a season pass holder for about 6 years until the family decided a single weekend road trip to another park was more fun. Locally this year we did HW ... and Busch Gardens Tampa while we were in Florida.

How can anyone say that there is not value at SFSTL. For $60.00 a year/person You get unlimited fun for 6+ months out of the year. We try to go at least once a month and tell you the truth you can not beat the price. When you consider going to a movie its going to cost you that much for 2 hours worth of value. Going to a sporting event .. Not even close.

I love our park I love the value.

Don't know what you guys think... Unless this list is wrong. Six Flags just isn't going all out this year.

Six Flags just isn't going all out this year.

Exactly.

In an off year for most of the chain, where many of the parks are getting Super Loops, SFSTL is getting what could be, and I'm pretty sure will be, the best dark ride in the chain. This isn't a park-manufactured ride, it is coming from Sally, who make some of the best dark rides in the world, minus the ones in Disney and Universal parks, of course. What I'm trying to say is, some major parks in the chain are getting a crappy (in my opinion) carnival ride, while we are getting an ultra-themed, high-tech dark ride.

How can anyone say that there is not value at SFSTL. For $60.00 a year/person You get unlimited fun for 6+ months out of the year. We try to go at least once a month and tell you the truth you can not beat the price. When you consider going to a movie its going to cost you that much for 2 hours worth of value. Going to a sporting event .. Not even close.

Don't know what you guys think... Unless this list is wrong. Six Flags just isn't going all out this year.

I already explained it once, but I'll highlight it for you:

No one is "boycotting" Six Flags. There are many of us who aren't returning, because there is not a good enough reason to return. We're tired of riding the same selection that lacks quality modern steel.

I'll speak for myself when I say the park doesn't offer a selection that caters to what I personally want. Batman and American Thunder are solid rides, but they don't justify the expense of going to the park. I'll gladly spend that money 5 hours away at King's Island or somewhere else that does offer a modern day ride selection that I enjoy. I used to absolutely enjoy Mr. Freeze, but the marketing ploy of taking a perfectly good coaster and turning it backwards really made me salty. It was always one of my favorites, but turning it backwards completely changed the dynamics for me.

If they offered just two state of the art steel coasters that I enjoyed it would be worth the admission for me, just as it used to be. However, since I no longer enjoy Freeze, there isn't enough to bring me back. There's no boycott.

$60 isn't a lot of money for us, but it's money that could be used elsewhere (smart spending, hence no debt aside from our mortgage). $60 isn't worth spending for one enjoyable 20 year old steel roller coaster after an hour drive. Especially when I've ridden 7 clones of the same ride. That $60 will go toward vacation or another park.

I grew up with SFSTL. Rode the Screamin Eagle in 76 when it opened, Injun Joe's Cave, Tiltmore Hotel, Jet Scream, and the Moon Cars when it was an actual attraction ... and so on. I even rode the Rail Blazer in 84. During that time I have seen other parks of similar age grow and expand (KI, SFGA, etc), while our park was always sorta late to the party. Until Batman and Freeze came along, the Screamin' Eagle was the main draw (for 20 years!!!). Our family got passes starting in the early 2000's and had them for about 5 or 6 years. Then we started taking road trips (as my kids got older) and we decided other parks within a days drive had more to offer (mainly KI) so we decided to do a Road Trip ever year instead of passes.

Hopefully Six Flags is going to spend some money with upkeep and maybe some smaller projects.

YES! According to the plans, which are subject to change of course, our park is getting some great refurbishments of current areas. In some cases, the money will go for upkeep (new paint, wood, etc). I see a lot of the original buildings and facades as the parks greatest blessing and curse. They require a vast amount of maintenance, but they look beautiful compared to some areas of Holiday World (most of Thanksgiving is literally red or blue vinyl siding. If Six Flags did that, people would complain like crazy). In other cases, the money will go to reenergize dead spaces including new structures!

As soon as everything is 100% happening, I'll post some details. Just like how even though the plan was that Batman was being repainted, for instance, I couldn't post until the paint was basically on its way to the park.

By the way, did anyone see what World's of Fun announced for 2015? It's a 4,500sq/ft splash pad, just like was recently suggested for SFSL. If that is all World's of Fun is getting, I would expect a new coaster for 2016 due to the low investment.

Here is my thoughts on all this.....

I do think the $60 per person is of great value! I have 5 kids and this helps to keep them entertained for the summer. We are roller-coasters lovers and have been to many theme parks around the US. The other value in the $60 per person (& we have Gold passes), you can use them at other Six Flags and parking is paid for (for us)! With our season passes we taken our family vacations and (have thus far) visited the Six Flag's parks in Atlanta, DC, New Jersey and Chicago(many times)!! Everyone has to do what "works" for them. But honestly, my family and I have been to Universal Studios and Disney....and for the $$$ we paid, we did feel it was worth it at all!! My kids don't want to go back but would rather spend the day at Six Flags! But at least they can say they've been!

By the way, did anyone see what World's of Fun announced for 2015? It's a 4,500sq/ft splash pad, just like was recently suggested for SFSL. If that is all World's of Fun is getting, I would expect a new coaster for 2016 due to the low investment.

I was thinking the same thing, especially with their addition of a handed down Windseeker this year. My guess would be a medium scale B&M.

As a Darien Lake fan, I feel the SFStL fans' pain. We haven't seen a major coaster installed in 15 years now. Is it fair for either park? No. But boycotting and writing negative comments never will help in the long run.

You always get that person who has had a bad experience with the park, and swears that he'll never come back. But nine times out of ten, yes he will be back. If people are angry at something, they are more likely to say something about it than if they had a great time. Out of the thousands of people who visit the park daily, maybe 5 or 10 will complain online. If the park does see a lot of people who boycott or don't come back, they will surely not add a coaster for awhile.

The best way to speed up the process is to just suck it up, and keep visiting. Convince your friends to go. Convince family members and co-workers to go. The more people that go, the better. If the park sees even one more guest per group that visits, it will help. Once Six Flags sees a large profit, they will spend the money and build big.

Totally agree with you coasterkid124!!!!

Totally agree with you coasterkid124!!!!

Ditto!

Looks like this weekend will be the best time to buy or renew your season pass. This is really a good deal! Now if you process your season dining pass before Sept 1st you get a free sports bottle! Plus you get free refills the rest of this year.

330446351_Capture2.thumb.PNG.dd0d3d1d6a6b9739ae414586e009c9f9.PNG

2114447292_Capture3.PNG.d8d2bfeaf9b5e77e67bb49dbe64eb081.PNG

After looking at the last clue on SFSTL's Facebook, I'm actually convinced that there will be a Fright Fest overlay before construction begins on Justice League. It might explain why nothing official has been announced for Fright Fest yet. Guess we will see tomorrow.