TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

I had my first day as a "Guest" this year today. I arrived at the toll plaza at 10:45. When I parked in the handicapped parking at 10:55, there was approximately 1,000 people standing around metal detection with another 500 elsewhere in the parking lot. Metal detection opened exactly at 11:00, which was the time I went up the "exit" past metal detection. It wasn't long before the area between the front gate and ticket booths was packed. Everyone who didn't need their pass processed was being sent to the hand scanners from last year, and even though it looked slow, the admissions employees (aided by a bunch of life guards from the closed water park) were able to get people into the park really fast.

By around 11:30 an announcement was made that all rides in the theme park were open. It was actually a great day. My group only encountered two lines: a 10 minute at Scooby Doo and a 20 minute at Batman in the evening. Batman was running one train because when it ran two, the trains were going out mostly empty. The attendance count for the day was actually pretty good, especially considering the rough stop, and the lack of rides showed that the operations department was doing a great job to keep things moving.

Now in terms of the power: Ameren really needs to get its crap together. This was a problem all around the park. For example, I wasn't able to get my breakfast Steakburger due to their grills shutting down with the power surges. Also, the wave pool and lazy river do not drain in the event of a power outage. They can function as just a normal pool, as their pumps are mainly used to add motion to the water. However, as the water slides rely on pumps to keep water in all areas of the attraction (due to gravity), they can drain the same way Thunder River will. I hope this clears things up a little bit. It's an incredibly interesting topic, in my opinion at least, that has become even more relevant with the events of this year. As soon as the water park opened today, it was pretty packed up until it closed at 6:00.

Most Guests seemed to be happier than normal, which was great to see. I also got to try Macho Nacho, which turned out to be the best food I've had at the park. Was anyone else at the park today? How did your experience mirror or differ from mine?

I went to Busch Gardens Tampa yesterday. Had a great time until the Storms arrived at about 5 pm. Anyhow... BG has no metal detectors at the entrance, just a quick bag check. This was also true for Disneyland last summer. Why does SFSTL need such a evasive 'search' with metal dectectors?? If neither BG or Disney feels they are not necessary, then Six Flags should reconsider there use. I believe King's Island doesn't use them either.

They need hillbilly detectors more than metal detectors! I use our swim team backpacks for trips to HH and last week security made me throw away a Sharpie for fear a 46 year old suburban Dad would go all gang graffiti on the park. That foolishness aside I am cool with the metal detectors and bag checks. Doesn't take all that long and helps keep the scum out. Last year I watched security turn away a snoopy dog with a weed shirt. I am all for legalization but this is a family park and not the place for this.

This brings up a interesting political kerfuffle. So what happens when the open carry wing nuts win access to theme parks. Does the loose article policy apply?

First of all, under Missouri law, you can not carry a gun into an amusement park.

I for one APPLAUD SFSTL for having metal detection/ bag check. With as many mass and school shootings that happen, I fully back SFSTL in keeping their Metal Detection, preventing as much as possible the possibility of a shooting. All parks that DO NOT have Metal Detection are just setting themselves up for trouble at some point. With SFSTL having a high percentage of guests from the "rougher" part of town, I NEVER want to see SFSTL get rid of their Metal Detection. A few years back, SFSTL was toyed around with by corporate to get rid of Metal Detection, thank goodness they havent. Over the past years, Ive seen a couple of incidents/ fights/ problems that SFSTL's security team has quickly defused, sometimes in a rather painful yet "just" way for those who not want to comply. Some of these individuals were very aggressive and had no respect for any type of authority, including police. Now think if Metal Detection wasn't there.... those situations COULD have gone in a MUCH different direction. I APPLAUD any and every park that has Metal Detection and I never have any problem waiting in those lines knowing I am much safer.

They need hillbilly detectors more than metal detectors! I use our swim team backpacks for trips to HH and last week security made me throw away a Sharpie for fear a 46 year old suburban Dad would go all gang graffiti on the park. That foolishness aside I am cool with the metal detectors and bag checks.

You may know in your mind that you wouldn't graffiti, but the majority of graffiti is just bored people trying to leave their mark on the park. Also, if we stereotyped, that could lead to some other issues.

When it comes to "well this park doesn't have metal detectors." Just looking at the facts, St. Louis and some of its surrounding areas are some of the highest crime areas of the country. Unfortunately although you may not see people being turned away with weapons, just having the metal detectors there can act as a great deterrent. People can complain as much as they want about our security, but knowing that the park is a safe place to work and play makes the couple seconds worth it. (All employees, even park directors, go through detectors on their way into work as well.) Also, Disney's tickets being around $100 is part of the reason they don't need metal detectors.

Can any tell me what the park expected to be like this Friday or Saturday? Never been on the 4th. Would be a whole family event and after HH closes there is not much that interests my 8YO beyond the water rides until the fireworks.

We have access to a parking garage at Highlands so Forest Park is an option as well but still concerned about the traffic.

Thinking about going to the park for the first time in a few years and I was wondering if anyone local knew who had the best deals on tickets. I know coke cans usually have a good discount and maybe Schnucks but its been a few years since I have actually had to buy tickets. Any help would be appreciated!

Dierbergs has a discount for 49. If you going for more than one day your best bet is a Thrill Pass. If you know the date and time you are going you could try and make a friend who has a season pass as there are many bring a friend days with steep discounts. Using discover card saves some as well. Go to the my coke rewards site and see what they have there. Need flash, I think. Paying the extra 5 or 10 for premium parking may be worth it to you if you plan on bringing your own food and it is a busy day.

We are headed there this afternoon and plan on just lazy rivering it for a few hours, having dinner and checking out the fireworks. Probably will be to busy to do any slides or rides.

Dierbergs has a discount for 49. If you going for more than one day your best bet is a Thrill Pass. If you know the date and time you are going you could try and make a friend who has a season pass as there are many bring a friend days with steep discounts. Using discover card saves some as well. Go to the my coke rewards site and see what they have there. Need flash, I think. Paying the extra 5 or 10 for premium parking may be worth it to you if you plan on bringing your own food and it is a busy day.

We are headed there this afternoon and plan on just lazy rivering it for a few hours, having dinner and checking out the fireworks. Probably will be to busy to do any slides or rides.

I can second that this will be your best bets. Also, remember that any orders online will include an approximately $9 processing fee. Also, you can now buy After 4pm Tickets online only. It's a great deal for a lot of people, but you will not be able to purchase it at the gate.

Also wanted to compliment the ride ops at Mr. Freeze yesterday. Almost right when the first train came back, the next would be ready to dispatch. Lines were a walk on all day because of these amazing operations.

I checked usenet and seasons 1 & 2 are available but not 3 yet. A DVR search shows lots of reruns over the next couple of weeks.

I was really impressed with the fireworks Saturday night, they were a lot better than I expected. Was less than impressed with the crowd it brought out however. Some yahoo was smoking on the ramps for Screaming Eagle right in front of kids, even up on the platform.

We were at the park for 12.5 hrs on Saturday. It was busy but everything was running smooth and lines were running very quickly. I think the longest wait was for Boomerang..waited about 45 min. I really didn't care for that ride..but I'll try it again when there isn't much of a line later in the year. We tried a new restaurant with our dining pass too. We got wraps from the Character Cafe..those things were delicious! Very fresh and cold, perfect for a warm day in July. We were very impressed with the fireworks they had on Saturday too..much more than I expected! I noticed that there was a private event at Hurricane Harbor Saturday night too. That would be awesome to be in at night. They should have a Gold season pass private event at Hurricane Harbor on a Saturday night!