TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

^ That would be an easy day for me, Boss would be closed, so I would just have to focus on Highland Fling

Did you work at SFSTL summer 2012??

My first season was 2013 and I was at American Thunder/ Moon Cars or Batman/ Turbo Bungy depending on the day.

Lame... Mr. Freeze all the way! I worked freeze summer 2012. It was a blast. (No pun intended)

AT wasn't bad, Batman was fun to work depending on who you were working with. I actually requested to work at Mr.Freeze this year, but they decided I would be better at Boss.

Boss is still awesome. I had a friend who was lead there last summer! She loved it, hated walking to the MCBR to test. Have fun at boss this year, are you working there full season, or summer only??

Well, just found out today that I have been moved to Mr. Freeze

Ok now I am super jealous! That ride is awesome!! Plus - when I worked it- the crew was awesome! We never opened on time bc we wanted to keep riding, so we did more "test runs!"

Also there was this one time were we were killing it. The hourly capacity is 950, and we beat that with 956!! We rocked!

TNT, Mr. Freeze is my favorite ride in the park, slightly ahead of Batman. BTW all, SFSTL has more roller coasters than all 4 parks in WDW combined.

Mike

Welcome. Mr. Freeze used to be my favorite, but the reverse launch ruined it for me. However, most people seem to like it, so I guess it's here to stay.

The reverse launch is fun, but I also prefer the forward launch. I wish they would do one side with a foward lauch and the other side with the reverse launch. (I think someone suggested that before.) Any of the ride ops here know if that would be possible?

What about if they flipped a few cars in each train foreword again?

Interesting thought. I have no idea if that could even work though. Then again, that would cause some chaos trying to figure out which seats are forward or backward. Mr. Freeze's station is a bit hectic as is, this would cause even more chaos.

It bums me out to think about it. The thrill of the ride for me was always charging through the tunnel face first, while getting pushed back into your seat and looking straight up into the air on the spike. In a forward launch, you can just relax, let go, and feel yourself getting pushed back into your seat. On a reverse launch you have to brace yourself to some degree on the launch and the brakes. It's just not as fun for me. Out of my 150 or so, it was a top 10er in its original form. Now, I don't even really care to ride it. But like I said, most people prefer the reverse launch, so that's the way it should probably stay.

It bums me out to think about it. The thrill of the ride for me was always charging through the tunnel face first, while getting pushed back into your seat and looking straight up into the air on the spike. In a forward launch, you can just relax, let go, and feel yourself getting pushed back into your seat. On a reverse launch you have to brace yourself to some degree on the launch and the brakes. It's just not as fun for me. Out of my 150 or so, it was a top 10er in its original form. Now, I don't even really care to ride it. But like I said, most people prefer the reverse launch, so that's the way it should probably stay.

I get what you're saying. The ride has become a bit more uncomfortable due to the reverse launch, but I actually prefer the feeling of facing the ground when you're on the spike. All in all, I agree that the ride was better when going forward, but I guess it's not always about us.

The reverse launch is fun, but I also prefer the forward launch. I wish they would do one side with a foward lauch and the other side with the reverse launch. (I think someone suggested that before.) Any of the ride ops here know if that would be possible?

I think it is possible, but the cost would be too high, because now you must staff for two train operation even if the park only has enough guests to justify 1 train. That is the only reason I don't see it happening, but it would be cool.

According to my lead when I worked/ my sup, it is not possible. They would have to have two set of LIM motors, that is what they told me. I think it has to do something with the cars and how the computer reads them.

They were explains to me that they had to switch the LIMs to be able to work for a backward launch.

I think it is possible, but the cost would be too high, because now you must staff for two train operation even if the park only has enough guests to justify 1 train. That is the only reason I don't see it happening, but it would be cool.

According to my lead when I worked/ my sup, it is not possible. They would have to have two set of LIM motors, that is what they told me. I think it has to do something with the cars and how the computer reads them.

They were explains to me that they had to switch the LIMs to be able to work for a backward launch.

Moving the LIMs would have no effect on the launch, the force generated by the LIMs is controlled by the PLC, the PLC is programmed to have the LIMs alternate between pulling and pushing on the aluminum fins on the side of the train. Flipping the train would have no effect on the system other than speed calculation and determining the location of the train. The proximity switches were installed on the ride to detect a forward facing train and calculate the launch speed as the train heads down the tunnel. Most likely during the conversion to Reverse Blast the PLC was reprogrammed by the manufacture to accommodate the changes (as it would be far easier to have the PLC reprogrammed than move all the proximity switches on the ride). It would require a lot more complex programming as the ride would need to be able to determine which train was launching but it would be possible.

^ Also, the magnetic brake fins are not centered, so it wouldn't be an easy conversion.

The brake fins had to be relocated for the reverse blast conversion, it would require them to undo the changes to one train.

Ok that makes sense. Thanks for sharing.

The break fins could pose a problem. But maybe the reason being is simple a finical problem. Having to have a full crew all of the time. Or it could be that there would always be an argument which one they should have open.

If they are able to have one train facing each way, then all they would have to do on days with one train operation is have a sign at the entrance stating which way freeze will be running. Just as I'm sure they would have to post at the queue split which train is forward and which train is reverse.

I agree. If the technical issues TNT discussed can be solved, there are a number of different ways to address which trains are running. One way would be to run it reverse blast all the time (keep the recent theming), then add the forward launching train when they move to two train operation to give people the option. Looking forward to opening weekend!

Tsunami Soaker update time - concrete pouring is likely done for the pad/pool area, probabaly in the curing phase right now, the ride is quite a bit larger than the Hannibarrels where (the area looks something like the picture I attached), the exit for the ride is going through the back (new door) of Marquette's Market. In some other news, the Turbo Bungy attraction (currently in front of Batman) is supposed to move to the former Rock Wall location (not far from Tsunami Soaker, up by Mooseburger).

TS.jpg.fd6d41c18b6ba05b4df6299699ea3bbb.jpg

Tsunami Soaker update time - concrete pouring is likely done for the pad/pool area, probabaly in the curing phase right now, the ride is quite a bit larger than the Hannibarrels where (the area looks something like the picture I attached), the exit for the ride is going through the back (new door) of Marquette's Market. In some other news, the Turbo Bungy attraction (currently in front of Batman) is supposed to move to the former Rock Wall location (not far from Tsunami Soaker, up by Mooseburger).

Thanks for the update, I'm really excited to see what all they can do for the area. It's good to see six flags try to make some of the dole areas of the park better.

Despite living inly 300 miles away from SFStL, I have never visited the park before. I'm thinking of going sometime in April while I still have weekends off since it's not very far away and I have a 2014 season pass.

I was actually throwing around the idea of taking Amtrak because I think it would be cool to ride the high speed rail. Is it easy to get from the STL Amtrak terminal to the park? I am open to renting a car, or taking a bus or any other form of public transportation if possible.

I would like to check out the City Museum on the trip as well. Is that easy to get to from Amtrak?

You're probably going to have a much more better experience if you stay away from the train. We have problems at our local Amtrak station constantly. Drugs, fights, weapons, you name it. Just my two cents.

Google maps says you could do the trip in four and a half hours via car, if you live in Moneka, IL. It would likely take much longer via Amtrak.