TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

I think they should focus on extending Fright Fest. Although from what I saw around the Holidead Express (which I didn't ride because of the horrible lines) the park would look nice with a Holiday in the Park.

But they should extend Fright Fest first because that is one of the only times the park is jam packed all day long. I don't know why they don't extend the dates to mid September, but I'm sure there's a reason.

Also look at SDC. It doesnt stop them! And its one of the busiest times of the year for SDC! So dont say we cant support it because of cold weather! If the event is good enough, the business will come.

You're right we are comparing apples to oranges when talking about Branson vs St. Louis. St. Louis metropolitan population is 2.8 million(this includes 17 counties surrounding St. Louis) Branson population is a little over 10,000 and add in surrounding counties. For 2010, 8 million tourist visitors were estimated in Branson. Even if you divide that evenly between 12 months that would only be 1.5 million tourists during November and December. And let's be realistic most of those 8 million are during April-August. So with St. Louis population of 2.8 vs Branson tourist population of 1.5 million, Six Flags couldn't draw for 5-6 weekends during November-December?

I think enough people would attend a Holiday in the Park to make it successful enough or at least worth taking a hard look at. Of course in the beginning it couldn't be expected to as successful as SDC's holiday events, but those have been 20 years in the making and of course a completely different feel.

Also overall attendance of the park I'm sure is probably 100% opposite as SFsTL's attendance is probably 90% local and SDC's attendance is probably 90% tourist.

There was serious talk of doing a Holiday In The Park event probably 5 years ago (under Shapiro), but the likelyhood of the event being successful (money maker) was not strong enough for corporate to ok anything. The chances of the current Six Flags corporate management adding HITP at SFSL is not very good, this park would need a whole lot bigger budget (for operations, maintenance and several other departments) that would go with the extended season, Six Flags current corporate management wants to spend as little as possible to keep the SF parks operating, so adding to the budget for the event is not something that is likely to happen.

I personally don't think that there would ever be enough of an interest for HITP in St. Louis, the park relies very heavily on season passholders for their attendance and I don't think that season passholders would be enough to make the event a success, also with the drive-thru light display at the campground right next to the park, could the two events happen side-by-side and both be successful (probably not).

I just went to Old Time Christmas at SDC and it was beautiful and amazing. While it'd be cool to see SFSTLlit up, I'm sure they'd do a lackluster job because corporate wouldn't give a large enough budget. But more night time rides would be fun.

Is there a reason they don't expand Fright Fest a few more weeks into September? Wouldn't it bring in more people since Fright Fest is already proven to be the most popular time of the year for the park.

You're right we are comparing apples to oranges when talking about Branson vs St. Louis. St. Louis metropolitan population is 2.8 million(this includes 17 counties surrounding St. Louis) Branson population is a little over 10,000 and add in surrounding counties. For 2010, 8 million tourist visitors were estimated in Branson. Even if you divide that evenly between 12 months that would only be 1.5 million tourists during November and December. And let's be realistic most of those 8 million are during April-August. So with St. Louis population of 2.8 vs Branson tourist population of 1.5 million, Six Flags couldn't draw for 5-6 weekends during November-December?

I think enough people would attend a Holiday in the Park to make it successful enough or at least worth taking a hard look at. Of course in the beginning it couldn't be expected to as successful as SDC's holiday events, but those have been 20 years in the making and of course a completely different feel.

Also overall attendance of the park I'm sure is probably 100% opposite as SFsTL's attendance is probably 90% local and SDC's attendance is probably 90% tourist.

The problem with your argument is actually the word tourist. Your 2.8 vs. 1.5 argument doesn't make any logical sense because the tourists going to Branson are going there specifically for the attractions. The 2.8 million people in St. Louis are not tourists. The vast majority of them don't even go to Six Flags during the current operating season.

And someone mentioned having a hard time hiring could be a problem. I don't think it would be as we make it through Fright Fest with a lot of high school and local college student employees who can only work on weekends. I would think that this would be no different.

With the temperatures dropping, and the return of the infamous Missouri Winter just around the corner, it is making me look forward to the new Tsunami Soaker even more. It means better weather and warmer temperatures lol! I wonder if demolition on the Hannibarrels has began now that the season has ended?

Even with the Holiday event aside... Six Flags compared to Silver Dollar City... Really??? They are two very different experiences. SDC has much more to offer and appeals to a wider range of people.

This is precisely the issue. SDC is a park that puts the atmosphere and theming before nearly everything else and they are consistent in it. Many the employees wear outfits to fit the theming of the park Six Flags doesn't do anything like this aside from street characters during Fright Fest. Six Flags tends to follow what is popular for the time and doesn't keep things very consistent. Also SDC is first and foremost a family park with a heavy emphasis on shows that is growing into having more very well chosen rollercoasters, Six Flags can't decide what they are supposed to be and ends up being neither and adds random coasters on impulse. Just some food for thought, if KI tried a Holiday in the park and it didn't work, why would it work in St. Louis?

The only thing that occurred to me is I personally thought that they could have extended Fright Fest until last week since it was only Nov 2nd & 3rd.

In my opinion, Six Flags tries to cater to families with members of all different ages, and does a good job at it. They have thrill rides for the teenagers and parents, kiddie rides for the young kids, and moderate rides for the entire family. I don't think adding a variety of different rides makes it "random". If they didn't add any kids rides, the park would be overrun by teenagers. If they didn't add any thrill rides, the park would be full of younger kids and their parents. Six Flags does a good job of balancing the thrill factor of their new additions.

Tsunami Soaker (2014)- Caters to the entire family

Boomerang (2013)- Caters to younger kids looking for a bigger but not too intimidating coaster, plus teens and adults want to ride roller coasters too, so essentially the entire family could ride this

Bonzai Pipeline (2012)- Caters to teens and thrill seeking adults who want a more thrilling water park ride

SkyScreamer (2011)- Caters to the entire family, especially those who like calm but tall rides

Wahoo Racer/Glow in the Park Parade (2009)- The slide and the parade cater to the entire family

American Thunder (2008)- Caters to the entire family, a thrilling and fun but not too intimidating coaster

Even if some of the rides don't attract the entire family, overall most of the new additions are ones that the entire family can look forward too. And maybe some people think the additions are "random", but look at other Six Flags parks. SFMM just added a new kiddie coaster after 4 thrill rides in a row (Full Throttle, Lex Luthor, Superman Backwards, Green Lantern). They obviously don't know who they are trying to cater to.

I look at it like this... would anyone even build a park in RC3 (or any theme park sim) that would resemble anything like SFSTL? probably not imo. It seems too random and not much thought behind it all. The names, variety of rides, the Moon Cars! Sorta a big mess if you ask me. Just my 2 cents. Just so you know what page I am on ... Six Flags Great America and KIng's Island are two well balanced parks in my opinion.

I look at it like this... would anyone even build a park in RC3 (or any theme park sim) that would resemble anything like SFSTL? probably not imo. It seems too random and not much thought behind it all. The names, variety of rides, the Moon Cars! Sorta a big mess if you ask me. Just my 2 cents. Just so you know what page I am on ... Six Flags Great America and KIng's Island are two well balanced parks in my opinion.

The main reason why It's a Big mess is cause Six Flags St. Louis from 1993 to 1997 themed and re-themed almost all their themed areas.

Missouri/ 1904 Worlds Fair

Illinois/ Gateway to the West

England/ Great Britain

Great Britain/ Britannia

USA/ Movie Town

USA/ Time Warner Studios

France/ Choteau's Market

Warner Bros. Backlot/ Time Warner Studios

Spain/ DC Comics Plaza

Kings Island didn't do it 1/2 as much (Mainly turning Adventure Village to Paramount Action Zone and the kids areas) and Six Flags Great America mainly hasn't re-themed any areas outside of the kids areas

^I hate their themed areas, never makes sense, I just try to ignore it and move on to the bigger picture COASTERS lol

But also because of their limited space they seem to throw a coaster where it fits, boomerang for example, god I wish they move moved that ride or get rid of it as it is blocking a good view of Screamin' Eagles lift sigh.. or better yet Tony Hawks Big Spin aka Pandemonium, what theme has that to do with the rest of the area lol?? The new flat ride going where the Hannibarrels ride was, another good example..

^I hate their themed areas, never makes sense, I just try to ignore it and move on to the bigger picture COASTERS lol

or better yet Tony Hawks Big Spin aka Pandemonium, what theme has that to do with the rest of the area lol??

The Boss isn't that much better.

American Thunder was chosen just because of the Motorcycle props from the original Evel Knevel theming (which by the way was also lame).

^^That's SFMM...

Looking at the post with the recent additions, I agree that I don't see it being random. Though, I find GCI coasters and Boomerangs cater much more to teenagers than families.

Not sure how a GCI caters to teens. It's a small scale wooden coaster, where most teens want something big, fast, and inverted.

With the sale of all the Hard Rock Park rides, I love to see Led Zepp/Time Machine end here someday, replacing the Ninja of course. I think it would fit where the Ninja is now with the Cobra roll by ex-Mine Train station/Haunted House. It may have to go over some of the pathways, but I like that sorta thing.