TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

I have a question:

Why would they need to clear out the weeds and such in the Hannibarrels if they need to demolish them? Why can't they just knock it down in the offseason and clear the remains? Do they really need to remove the shrubbery growing there before knocking it down?

The park has looked into relocating Moon Cars but they are having a hard time finding a farly flat piece of land. The slight hill that is on the course now is the steepest that those cars can go. But it is still possible that they can be moved.

Heck I would say update the engines while they are at it, I mean it would be like a brand newish ride, new location plus newer engines that will have a positive cause there new and less maintenance. Also a hilly layout would be awesome.

Also they could grade the land? I mean they would do it anyway when pouring slab lol

I wonder why they put American Thunder in that location then? Moon Cars could have stayed there (flat with plenty of space) and the coaster elsewhere.

Probably cause it is closer to the front and that way they have a coaster up there in that section, I mean look at it this way

1. 3 coasters in the back Boss, Screamin Eagle, and Boomerang

2. 3 coasters Batman/Ninja/River Mine on the right side

3. 2 in the middle Mr. Freeze and Pandemonium'

4. 1 coaster on the left side aka American Thunder

Makes sense I think haha

I have a question:

Why would they need to clear out the weeds and such in the Hannibarrels if they need to demolish them? Why can't they just knock it down in the offseason and clear the remains? Do they really need to remove the shrubbery growing there before knocking it down?

Probably either to make clean up easier or even better they are going to reuse the building if the put a Aqua Twist in it to keep the theming and cost down

But still if they REALLY wanted to they could, I mean like you said they wanted to put boomerang there and they did with a little help. So if they EXPAND over into that section in the woods they could have a very good reason to do so, if such devotion is willing to a classic ride, but that's if.

And true you can look at American Thunder like that, but I want to see a more positive side then just "stick it there because it fits", Also didn't they have a junior coaster there before all this? I wonder if they would rebuild that ride somewhere in park like the go carts, if they haven't scraped it.

Anyway I like my reason, it would be cool if they can fit another couple coasters in that area,to make it three all the way around the park sections lol. But I think it is a already a little tight in that area.

Also didn't they have a junior coaster there before all this? I wonder if they would rebuild that ride somewhere in park like the go carts, if they haven't scraped it.

They scrapped it.

How about moving the Moon Cars to a better spot a wrapping a junior coaster around American Thunder where the cars currently are?

Also didn't they have a junior coaster there before all this? I wonder if they would rebuild that ride somewhere in park like the go carts, if they haven't scraped it.

They scrapped it.

How about moving the Moon Cars to a better spot a wrapping a junior coaster around American Thunder where the cars currently are?

I was thinking that too, but I also thought that could be a nice spot for the go carts, and Vonni is right it would be better to have it by the kids area

And darn that sucks, I never seen it before, was the coaster any good of a ride and was there a reason behind the scrapping i.e rusty or costly to fix?

Edit: Looking at google maps there is a nice clearance behind characters cafe, or else have it wrap around behind the amphitheater, maybe they could squeeze it in next pandemonium there looks to be a small clearing there. Other wise the go tracks will be the next best thing

I wonder why they put American Thunder in that location then? Moon Cars could have stayed there (flat with plenty of space) and the coaster elsewhere.

American Thunder is clone of one GCI's rides over in Europe. They needed a flat piece of land to put the coaster on and I'm assuming that was the only place they could find. Six Flags St. Louis isn't exactly the flattest park out there.

I have stood in a line for Mr. Freeze that had to use the queue houses, and I have stood in lines for The Boss and Batman that have had to use the ENTIRE queue line before. So those massive queues everyone complains about are there for a reason. Just because you dont see them utilized does not mean they never are.

(Aside from the fact that I can think of a thousand better ways to spend my time) There are areas of the queue under Batman that I haven't seen used since the ride's first year of operation, which are now mostly used for storage. Using these areas would eliminate said teens hurdling over the pointless Gotham area, and they could be chained off when they aren't needed. I think a lot of people don't re-ride Batman, because it takes forever to get back to the station. You can get back to the station in about a minute in almost all of the 8 or so Batman clones I've ridden with better designed queues.

I guess if you like walking through pointless pathways where the themeing has been removed or is falling apart, then Batman queue is your bag. Change is OK sometimes.

I have stood in a line for Mr. Freeze that had to use the queue houses, and I have stood in lines for The Boss and Batman that have had to use the ENTIRE queue line before. So those massive queues everyone complains about are there for a reason. Just because you dont see them utilized does not mean they never are.

(Aside from the fact that I can think of a thousand better ways to spend my time) There are areas of the queue under Batman that I haven't seen used since the ride's first year of operation, which are now mostly used for storage. Using these areas would eliminate said teens hurdling over the pointless Gotham area, and they could be chained off when they aren't needed. I think a lot of people don't re-ride Batman, because it takes forever to get back to the station. You can get back to the station in about a minute in almost all of the 8 or so Batman clones I've ridden with better designed queues.

I guess if you like walking through pointless pathways where the themeing has been removed or is falling apart, then Batman queue is your bag. Change is OK sometimes.

Agreed, I remember when they had the old police car and the water working from the hydrant, it was pretty cool, not spectacular but cool. Now it is just pointless, and boring to stand in the queue with nothing to look at but concrete or the trains going by.

And I have never seen them use the queue line to the right of the mock up car wreck or inside the station building underneath Batman. Every time the line is backed up for me, all the patrons just follow the outside path, and out onto the crazy s-bend(s) part which is another wtf moment all the way out to the front and I know then thats easily a 60min wait or more.

Agreed, I remember when they had the old police car and the water working from the hydrant, it was pretty cool, not spectacular but cool. Now it is just pointless, and boring to stand in the queue with nothing to look at but concrete or the trains going by.

And I have never seen them use the queue line to the right of the mock up car wreck or inside the station building underneath Batman. Every time the line is backed up for me, all the patrons just follow the outside path, and out onto the crazy s-bend(s) part which is another wtf moment all the way out to the front and I know then thats easily a 60min wait or more.

Like I said, I've stood in line for Batman before that used the entire queue. That counts the switchbacks to the right of where the wreck used to be and the switchbacks right under the station. The entire queue. And yes, it was a long wait, but the line seemed to keep moving.

They scrapped it.

And darn that sucks, I never seen it before, was the coaster any good of a ride and was there a reason behind the scrapping i.e rusty or costly to fix?

It was old. Dave didn't like it because the bunny hills were extremely rough. You could just see the kids heads like snapping back with each hill. It wasn't a huge loss though. It was even smaller than the Howler at Holiday World if I remember correctly.

Also with the moon cars, Dave really wants to relocate them. One idea he mentioned was to expand them into the catering grove because they don't cater and use pavilions as much as they used to. My guess as to why they haven't been relocated already is that new rides are better to spend money on because they're more marketable. If it was 100% Dave's decision, I'm sure they'd be expanded by now, but that's purely speculation on my part.

I went early May and the line wrapped from the ending of the park area through all the switch backs (even the one under the station). The wait was about an hour. That day was packed. The switchbacks under Ninja were full. Crazy day for the park.

I don't know this for sure, but from what I have heard American Thunder (Evel Knievel) was not originally intended to be built at this park, this park was to receive one of the Dark Knight Coasters (which would have taken less land and probably just replaced Looney Tunes Town, allowing the Moon Cars to stay as they were). It's likely that is the reason that American Thunder construction didn't start until around October and the ride didn't open in July, because of the late change in rides the park decided that they needed to keep the Moon Cars (as a family ride) and not remove them, so they designed the short course in a short amount of time as well.

As for next year, I think that the Twist N' Splash has a larger footprint than the Hannibarrels does, so there will likely have to be other changes made to some of the paths around that area, it is still very likely the only new addition for 2014 (I was hoping for another flat ride or kiddie coaster). It will just be another "cheap" year of additions to the park, something that seems to continue year after year (along with a few other SF parks that don't really ever get that big addition under the current management), this park has probably seen around $6 million in new ride capital in the 4 years that the current management has had control, which is pathetic amount to spend to try and help the park grow (back to a level that is was at ten years ago and was before that in the 90's).

I don't know this for sure, but from what I have heard American Thunder (Evel Knievel) was not originally intended to be built at this park, this park was to receive one of the Dark Knight Coasters (which would have taken less land and probably just replaced Looney Tunes Town, allowing the Moon Cars to stay as they were). It's likely that is the reason that American Thunder construction didn't start until around October and the ride didn't open in July, because of the late change in rides the park decided that they needed to keep the Moon Cars (as a family ride) and not remove them, so they designed the short course in a short amount of time as well.

I've read that the coaster was supposed to go to Six Flags New England, but they couldn't get the building ordinances passed or something along the lines of that. I'm sure glad Six Flags St. Louis got American Thunder, seeing it's my favorite ride in the park.

^^ Would you prefer they spend millions and millions on each park every year and send themselves back to bankruptcy? It's not like SFSTl was ever a park that got major rides every year. And isn't it better to fill a rotting hole in the park first and clean up what they have, so it's a better park when that big addition comes? Honestly, with all the talk we've had of things like Boss makeover, park expansion, kiddie coaster and a moon car expansion coming from the park president, I'm excited to see what the future brings for this park and these smaller additions will definitely help in the long run.

^ and ^^^ I agree with both of you because you both make very valid points. Yes, we need to clean up and take care of what we have now, but at the same time the amount of money spent on our park over several years is a joke. Hopefully it will all change though.

I can surely see why it's frustrating for the locals of Six Flags St. Louis when the park seems to get passed over year after year. Of course, it makes it even more frustrating when a park like Six Flags Great America is getting two new coasters in four years, and SFStL gets a Boomerang. If I've learned one thing from watching Holiday World grow over the years, you may not like what the park adds or what their area of focus is, but you just need have a little faith. These people know what they're doing. It's really intriguing that SFStL supposedly has a 10 year plan. This is probably something the park lacked under previous management.

The point about not spending much money on SFSL goes a lot deeper, for this park first 30 years or so it got probably close to an average of 15% (in some years 20% or more) higher attendance than what it currently does and has done for the last ten years or so. Why is it o.k. to give up whatever advantage that this park had as a regional theme park, by not spending a decent amount of money to keep people interested in the park and to keep attendance at the level it was. Do you think that 10 years ago, that people who live in Southern Illinois would choose to go to Holiday World rather than SFSL, probably not, but today why would you choose to go to SFSL over Holiday World. It's that same for people that live in central Missouri, why would they choose to come to SFSL, when they can go to Silver Dollar City or even Worlds Fun and get a better product. Six Flags St. Louis had the regional (Missouri, Southern Illinois, etc.) advantage for a long time, but over the years the competition stepped up big time and the park has failed to keep up and without significant investment in the park than nothing is going to change (that is a fact that has been proven for several years), but apparently SF corporate thinks that everything is just fine with leaving the park at the level it currently is (which is one of the bottom parks).