TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

No one (who matters) goes to a park to ride a ferris wheel, unless you have kids. Also, double wheels are outdated maintenance nightmares.

Rides like 'sky screamer' are the parachute drops of 2013. Wasn't it SFGAdv that recently replaced their parachute drop with 'Sky Screamer' ?

Our park would really benefit with the addition of a double or triple mule-go-round.

Sorry to be late to the Boomerang train color discussion, but isn't the black train with the bright green stripe as depicted on the Boomerang ride page what the train will look like? And if SFGrAdv removes the parachute ride do we get it back?

Sorry to be late to the Boomerang train color discussion, but isn't the black train with the bright green stripe as depicted on the Boomerang ride page what the train will look like? And if SFGrAdv removes the parachute ride do we get it back?

I don't see why we would get the parachute drop. SFOT demolished theirs, SFGAd would probably do the same. The rides are simply outdated, and frankly there wouldn't be a good location for it in our park.

I think the parachute drop comment was a joke...obviously they wouldn't "give it back". Once the last parachute drop in the US is removed, that'll be it for those rides, it seems. It is interesting that Great Adventure has both that classic ride and a Sky Screamer, though. Preemptively I'd like to apologize for bringing up parachute drops, as I'm sure someone will be in shortly to yell about a soon-to-be-defunct ride type being discussed here

Is there any more word on the paintball field? Again, this just seems so strange to me.....combine the antics of some with the ability to fire in any direction, a fair distance = paint splotches everywhere?

Yes, the "do we get it back" comment was a joke. I just thought it was funny that someone commented on moving a parachute drop to SFStL instead of scrapping it, since the one that used to be here is now at SFGrAdv. The point of the parachute tower rides was to be a scenic observation tower-type ride. Colossus and Sky Screamer fill that niche now.

I don't think they are going to use the boneyard for the paintball battles. Six Flags-owned land east of the park was leased by a paintball war business, and that is probably the land being used for THEIR upcharge attraction.

Honestly, I think it's ridiculous that the park no longer has a kiddie coaster. My personal opinion is that a new kiddie coaster should be a top priority because kiddie coasters are important to round out a park's coaster line up.

Honestly, I think it's ridiculous that the park no longer has a kiddie coaster. My personal opinion is that a new kiddie coaster should be a top priority because kiddie coasters are important to round out a park's coaster line up.

How about a Junior Coaster so adults can ride it too? A Zierer Tivoli Large Maybe?

Now that is TOTALLY different from letting people battle in the park's actual boneyard on the northeast corner of their unused land. I could see people getting hurt and suing from injuries sustained by falling around rusty old ride parts. That setup just north of Big Kahuna is really cool. Thanks for those photos deathbydinn.

How about a Junior Coaster so adults can ride it too? A Zierer Tivoli Large Maybe?

More parks need roller coasters for 36" and up that adults can enjoy. The whizzer is the best example of this. The kiddie coasters here are AE, mine train and pandemonium

How many kiddie coasters do you need??? SFStl has a ton of rides for children, let alone an entire dedicated area of the park for them. I didn't even include the water park.

The park has 2 children's coasters and two, what I consider, stepping stone roller coaster.

-Mine Train (children)

-Pandemonium (children)

-Screaming Eagle

-American Thunder

Let's all wait another ten years for a decent steel roller coaster (because boomerang doesn't count) so we can get six more children's coasters.

Holiday World only has one very mediocre children's coaster, and they seem to be doing just fine at packing in the families.

^ River King Mine Train and Pandemonium are definitely not kiddie coasters, they are family coasters. Even though Holiday World which is more of a family park only has one kiddie coaster, it has a 36 inch height restriction where as RKMT and Pandemonium both have a 42 inch height restriction. So while SFSTl does have good family coasters, they are still missing a kiddie coaster.

American Thunder is 48". My kids are 39" and 43" so I get his point about Jr coasters. We stopped at Stl going to great America last summer. GA had more rides my youngest could ride. We are going to FT and SWSA this summer and my youngest won't get to ride much. For a family (biggest customer) this makes it less appealing.

That being said, bring on the big coaster!

Let's all wait another ten years for a decent steel roller coaster (because boomerang doesn't count) so we can get six more children's coasters.

How does Boomerang not count? I've been reading this thread for a while, and your continuous negativity is simply tedious. A Boomerang is a roller coaster. With inversions. That goes backwards. That alone is exciting enough for me. Yes, some people say they are rough and/or uncomfortable, but it's a new attraction for your park that many, many people will enjoy and remember. If you like Boomerangs (and I know people that do), be glad that your park has one. If you don't, remember that it's an effective attraction on the cheap, that surely shows the park is due a large investment in the not-to-distant future.

Just wanted to add my opinion

Fans of Six Flags St. Louis have felt slighted for quite a while now. The rumor that SFOG's hyper was originally supposed to be located where American Thunder is now at our park was a big deal for some. My personal complaint with Six Flags is that our park was neglected for new coaster additions in the 80's and 90's until Batman was added. From that point on the additions have been consistent and for the most part originalish and semi-unique - Batman and Mr. Freeze being mirrored versions, The Boss being a complete custom design, Excalibur being the only one if its kind in the US, among the first of the Big Spin coasters (and even with it being a stock ride it's a VERY fun ride), American Thunder being unique to the US (and having been on a couple other GCI coasters in my opinion their best design to date), and Sky Screamer among the first Star Flyers in the US. I see our park as being about 15 years behind many other amusement parks in terms of coaster additions, so that making it 1998 at SFStL a Vekoma boomerang isn't too outdated . A lot of the park fans complain whenever there is a waterpark addition instead of a dry side addition. Considering how popular the waterpark is, I'd say they've done a pretty good job splitting the improvements between the two parks. It all comes down to comparison with other Six Flags and Cedar Fair parks in the region. Prozach is one of the people who will bitch about how Six Flags corporate doesn't respect the people of the St. Louis metro area because we don't have a major full-circuit multi-looper, preferable a B&M, or a hypercoaster. He complained just as much as he does here on the sfstl.net forums until that went down. The rest of us hope that a modern steel coaster or 2 are on the way in the next few years. It's just like being a sports team fan. You can overanalyze everything they did wrong to make it several losing seasons in a row, or you can hope that next year's team is THE ONE that wins the championship. I like to think about how cool it will be when we DO finally get that amazing steel coaster, and it doesn't stop me from enjoying the great lineup that we actually have here.

And speaking of the peeling paint, I saw pictures of Boomerang on newsplusnotes from last weekend. There is a big piece of orange paint missing from a support column in one of the pictures. WTF?