TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

Big Bend 1980/Closed around 1989

This coaster was never installed/operated in the Park. I believe it just sat in the Boneyard.

Ahh got it. RCDB had it listed as if it operated. I guess someone needs to let him know. hehe

If you click on the Big Bend link, it actually is listed as being in storage from 80 to 89. But from the SFSTL main page, it does make it look like it was in operation during those years.

How does a lull in the conversation make the thread dead? The park opens Friday, and I'm sure there will be reports on what Boomerang looks like and how the park looks for 2013. I'm personally considering going Friday. I've never been there on opening day.

I was confused when I first started going to RCDB and saw SFOT's Big Bend listed as a ride that was actually erected at SFOMA at some point. That would have been cool, but it never happened.

As far as the argument about what we DESERVE based on attendance, I remember when the park had 5 rollercoasters for most of my junior high and high school years in the 80's and attendance records were broken because of live concerts like The Beach Boys and The Dirty Dancing Tour. As Six Flags corporate bought up other parks and spent loads of money on new rides for those new acquisitions and the big moneymaking parks in larger metropolitan areas throughout the 90's, people got tired of nothing new at parks like SFOMA. I don't know the details of the decline, whether the lack of new rides was the major reason attendance declined or if there were other factors in the St. Louis area economy or other new entertainments that made people choose those over Six Flags. Should Six Flags have paid more attention to our park? Of course locals say yes. My biggest complaints personally are the lack of fix/removal of the Hannibarrels, the fact that they didn't ADD a new Sky Screamer ride but REPLACED one swing ride with another, and that there is now no roller coaster for the little ones. I hope the slow pace of additions to our park means a good long range plan and not just the attitude that our park has less value to the corporate big wigs. I think Pandemonium, American Thunder, Excalibur, and Sky Screamer were EXCELLENT additions for SFStL. Are we long overdue for a couple MARQUEE steel coasters? Of course locals say yes. Look how long it took us to get a drop tower. For me personally I will love this park no matter how slowly they bring us up to par with other amusement parks. I don't think Boomerang was a BAD choice, just disappointing that we didn't get something steel and ORIGINAL like an Intamin Megalite or Gerstlauer Eurofighter if they were going to continue the modest-sized additions. But hope springs eternal, and as long as corporate isn't REMOVING rides with no replacements and no rumor of the park being up for sale is making the internet chatroom rounds I haven't given up on our park getting an original Intamin or B&M hyper and a large modern multilooper in the next few years.

Based on my visit in 2010 the old swings looked like they were in bad shape so I would consider Skyscreamer to be a vast improvement.

Even though I've only been to SFStL once it was a park that I fell in love with. Sure it deserves more than it has but I get a feeling that the park is becoming Astroworld's replacement, i.e. just getting hand-me-down rides while throwing in a new ride every once in a while.

^ Hmm, I would actually be okay with that...just as long as some other hand-me-downs aren't Boomerang quality (although the Boomerang looks great). Astroworld accumulated a pretty unique set of rides over the years. But we need more years to see if SFstL will continue Astroworld's trend. Personally, I think something big should be coming as the last 3 coasters have been relatively minor.

dead thread..

Is anyone planning any trips to any other parks this year?

Two days without a post does not mean the thread is dead. It just means there isn't currently anything major to talk about. This isn't a thread for SFStl fans to talk amongst themselves about anything they see fit. This is a thread dedicated solely to discuss SFStl. Please keep in on topic. Thank you.

Six Flags St. Louis Opens this morning... there is a $20.13 ticket special today.

Here is an early morning news coverage segment regarding opening day show this morning... if you look closely you can see the boomerang construction in the background and looks like all they have left to do is erect the loop. You can also get an idea of how guest will be able to walk under the boomerang of the coaster. The footers look very high off the ground.. so you really do walk under the ride.

http://www.ksdk.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=2262478904001

That placement of Boomerang is quite the statement in person. It really adds the same if not better level of excitement for the ride as Pandemonium's location over the footpath. They finished everything necessary for the guests to be able to walk under the cobra roll during operational hours, and pieces of the loop were in the parking lot for added visual anticipation for June 1. They are having a contest for visitors yesterday and today only. They are passing out a card at the front entry to be punched at each of the 8 other coasters, calling it the coaster capital challenge. After riding each of the other coasters, getting the special punch ride operators have for each ride, and filling out the bottom portion with personal info, they are having a drawing for first riders. Fourteen of the challenge entrants and a guest will be chosen to ride the first public train June 1.

I noticed an interesting trend while at the park yesterday. I don't recall ever seeing as many families at SFStL with more than three children. Maybe there were lots of people with nieces and nephews, but I noticed dozens of family groups with two adults and four, five, and six kids under ten years old. And quite a few were unable to keep the kids from misbehaving. It was like spring is here finally and they were letting the kids loose on the park.

The park seemed mostly ready to go for the season. Excalibur and Rush Street Flyer were both closed. I didn't notice any repair work being done on Excalibur, but they were checking out Rush Street. Thunder River and Tidal Wave were both closed, I'm assuming because of early season weather/staffing shortage, but the log flume was running one side. Thunder's blue train was missing which led to hour long waits. Only one side of Scooby Doo Ghostblasters was running, which led to long waits there too. It warmed up into the sixties after noon, quite the change from earlier in the week.

For those who have purchased or are interested in purchasing season passes, they have two processing locations now. The standard location in the former tilted house above the Thunder River entrance is for day of purchase processing, and online purchase printed out vouchers are processed at the former Wagon Wheel/Calico Kitchen restaurant near the center of the park. Both locations were packed. We processed our passes in October last year, and entering the exit of the online voucher processing location got us our coupon books. We only stayed about four hours, but it was a good first visit for 2013.

I went to the park for the first time on saturday, and I was rather pleased. Rode everything except pandimonium, but not really too worried about it. Was surprised at some things though. For instance, I was used to the queue for Mr. Freeze at SFoT, and was confused as to why the majority of the line for the one in St Louis was mostly outside. A little dissapointed in one train opps for American Thunder and The Boss, especially since it took almost 45 minutes to get on. The day started overcast but decent, and started raining on us while waiting for AT. Still rode it in decent rain, which is always fun, and then headed over to The Boss for the final ride of the day, also in the rain. Overall I enjoyed the park, but I did feel that it was lacking some things, namely a signiture coaster. I think a hyper of some sort would work well for the park.

I went to the park for the first time on saturday, and I was rather pleased. Rode everything except pandimonium, but not really too worried about it. Was surprised at some things though. For instance, I was used to the queue for Mr. Freeze at SFoT, and was confused as to why the majority of the line for the one in St Louis was mostly outside. A little dissapointed in one train opps for American Thunder and The Boss, especially since it took almost 45 minutes to get on. The day started overcast but decent, and started raining on us while waiting for AT. Still rode it in decent rain, which is always fun, and then headed over to The Boss for the final ride of the day, also in the rain. Overall I enjoyed the park, but I did feel that it was lacking some things, namely a signiture coaster. I think a hyper of some sort would work well for the park.

We are known for our long Queues. Look at the Boss, for example. I hope the Boss will eventually get the iron horse, so we can fill the queue at least halfway. Sucks American Thunder was only running one train. Usually you can always get on in 10-15 minutes. Same for the Boss, although most people aren't up for a re-ride on the brain basher.

Overall I enjoyed the park, but I did feel that it was lacking some things, namely a signiture coaster. I think a hyper of some sort would work well for the park.

Our signature coaster opens in June...

It's obvious that by no means do I support this coaster. However, it does look like SFSTL really is trying their best to turn lemons into lemonade. As much as I despise this coaster, they are making the best of it.

If you look at the park, one of the major dead and outdated areas is the area around the Ninja. People have been saying that the area around the tidal wave should be improved, and that has been done. The ninja's clock is ticking. I give it 3-5 years.

So my question is ... we will get a new Bumper Car attraction? Bumper Cars is an amusement park staple, ashame to see them gone for good.

It would be nice, but I doubt it. People wouldn't see it as a new experience... unless you could somehow add a cobra roll to the bumper cars...

The loop on Boomerang was put up today, so all track work appears to be done (except for the evac. platform stairs), still have no idea which of the two trains the park has received will be running on the ride.

Since I doubt that the Sound Stage theater will ever be used again, I would like to see new bumper cars replace it, along with some kind of a circular family flat ride to replace the Hannibarrels next door. There are no rides anywhere on the path from Ninja all the way up to Mine Train which is a long distance and the middle of the park is one of the deadest areas in the park. The park needs to get a kiddie roller coaster (either new or move it from another SF park, SFMM has 3 of them), which could go somewhere in the middle "dead section" as well, maybe where the Caboose/old rock wall was located, across from Mooseburger.

I don't know if Xcalibur is dead for good or not, it didn't run from sometime last summer through the end of the season and hasn't opened yet. Eventually the park may need a replacement for Xcalibur, the Rush Street Flyer is also becoming more difficult to keep running and since there are only two Enterprises left running at SF parks, the Highland Fling may not last much longer either.

Edited by SFZIP

^Not sure if it would fit exactly, but I think a Huss Giant Frisbee would be great if Xcalibur ever has to go.

I've seen families get lost in that dead pathway because of no signage or rides guide them if they've never been to the park.

Now that the bumper cars are gone, the Rush Street Flyer looks kind of awkward up there in the "Illinois" section. That wall behind the ride doesn't fit well at all.

^Not sure if it would fit exactly, but I think a Huss Giant Frisbee would be great if Xcalibur ever has to go.

I've seen families get lost in that dead pathway because of no signage or rides guide them if they've never been to the park.

Now that the bumper cars are gone, the Rush Street Flyer looks kind of awkward up there in the "Illinois" section. That wall behind the ride doesn't fit well at all.

So you're saying Rush Street Flyer doesn't fit in the Illinois section because it is the only ride left there that is themed to Illinois/Chicago?