TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

Six Flags mentioned on their Facebook page that Boomerang " is under construction and will not be ready until June 1st." Do I sense an opening date?

I really hope it's ready by then since I am visiting the park in August.

More seriously, at least it is another credit.

Six Flags mentioned on their Facebook page that Boomerang " is under construction and will not be ready until June 1st." Do I sense an opening date?

I really hope it's ready by then since I am visiting the park in August.

More seriously, at least it is another credit.

If its not done by August, I'll boycott the place!

Somebody should graffiti this onto the billboard SFSTL has that faces the highway...

"Boomerang is actually a 24 year old coaster that simply was not good enough for Six Flags Over Texas, and is probably just here to annoy loyal park goers and to bring Ninja to it's end. Congrats, we got a headbanger so that in a few years, our favorite headbanger can be removed and there will still be a looping coaster in the park. Also, I'd like to point out Six Flags Magic Mountain is getting a brand-new launched roller coaster that loops, launches backwards, and launches forwards. And Six Flags didn't give us new trains that would stop the headbanging, did they? Nope, we're getting trains that have been carved on by a certain TPR member."

^^

Like I said before, they shouldn't have even given the park anything at all for this season......but of course you would have bitched about that too. Who knows, maybe there's a method to the madness. Bring in Boomerang this year, get rid of Ninja next year, then bring in a used B&M Floorless after that and put it in Ninja's space.

When it all comes down to it, it's all about basic economics....which is something some of you guys know absolutely nothing about.

Edited by ArizonaGuy

^^^ according to some people on this thread, you're just being ungrateful (realistic)

Realistic?? Sounds more like pessimistic to me.

^ I've been on just about every other type of B&M except a floorless. If its anything like a good, smooth sit-down combined with an invert, I'm all for it!

^^

but of course you would have bitched about that too.

Not I, I would have thought they are saving their pennines for something good for 2014/2015. This Boomerang makes no sense to me. Although it adds more 'stuff' to our Skyline. and at least it is not Black or White.

^ I've been on just about every other type of B&M except a floorless. If its anything like a good, smooth sit-down combined with an invert, I'm all for it!

If Medusa is anything, or close to, like Kraken then I would be stoked to have it at STL. Kraken is an awesome floorless at Seaworld Orlando

Seems like this thread turned quite vehement really quickly. I think it bears stating that whether SFOT "liked" the former Flashback or not, it was never just a "walk on" attraction, particularly in the summer months. I think that, unless the park had decided to buy some sort of ridiculous carnival coaster, this boomerang is a legitimately built and engineered roller coaster and I think it will be a nice addition to the current lineup. I also think that it isn't hard to imagine that The Boss could be the next coaster on the RMC remodel list; so adding something like the boomerang will undoubtedly allow for a great spotlight on The Boss, if its remodeled, that is.

^^ I'm a cop... I know as much about economics as you know about sarcasm. We're getting a 24 year old coaster when other parks are getting modern steel, which is something our park greatly lacks. You haven't been on the STL boards long enough to see the irony in the situation.

After a decade of people saying "they are just doing this so that SFSTL can save money for a thrilling state of the art steel roller coaster", it get's pretty entertaining.

If the park isn't pulling in the numbers, why should corporate dump major money into big new rides?

^^

Just to clear things up, Arizonaguy didn't write the "I'm a cop....." statement. That would be Mr. Prozach626.

But yes...I agree with LinearInduction that if the park isn't pulling in the numbers, why should corporate dump major money into big new rides. Other parks like SFFT have gone through the same thing. SFFT got SKC back in 2000 and didn't get it's next coaster "THBS" until 2007 and then Goliath in 2008. After that it was new shows and Wiggles World until it got Sky Screamer in 2012 and now Iron Rattler in 2013. And Goliath aka Gambit aka Batman:The Ride originally debuted in Japan in 1995 and rebuilt at SFFT in 2008(OMG a used coaster 13 years later).

Now I know that SFFT has only has 1 used coaster but that's because it opened 19 years after SFStL did. And yes I know....SFFT got 7 coasters from 1997-2013 and SFStL only got 6 from 1995-2013 but they aren't that far off. SFAW (RIP)got nothing but used coasters from 1989 to 1998 and the only "new" attraction was Dungeon Drop in 1996 and then Serial Thriller in 1999.

Anyways, my point is.....over all it's not as bad as it's made out to be for SFStL. Remember.....it could always be worse like SFAW had it. Hopefully it doesn't come to that for SFStL.

Here's SFFT list of coasters both operating and defunct:

The Rattler opened 1992/Closed 2012

Kiddee Koaster 1992

Jokers Revenge opened 1996/Closed 2002

Road Runner Express 5/1997

Boomerang 3/13/1999

Poltergeist 5/28/1999

Superman Krypton Coaster 3/11/2000

Pandemonium 3/10/2007

Goliath 4/18/2008

Iron Rattler 2013

Here's SFStL's list of coasters both operating and defunct coasters:

River King Mine Train A 6/1971

River King Mine Train B 6/1971/Closed 1988

Rockin' Roller 1975/Closed 2008

Screamin' Eagle 4/10/1976

Big Bend 1980/Closed around 1989

Jet Scream 1981/Closed 1988

Ninja 4/1989

Batman The Ride 4/22/1995

Mr. Freeze Reverse Blast 4/1998

Boss 4/29/2000

Pandemonium 4/21/2007

American Thunder 6/20/2008

Boomerang 2013

And if there was any Six Flags Park who got the short end of the stick with used coasters it was SFAW (RIP)

Serpent 1969

Swamp Buggy 1970

Excalibur 1972

Texas Cyclone 1976

Greezed Lightnin' 1978

XLR-8 1984

Viper-USED 1989

Ultra Twister-USED 1990

Batman The Escape-USED 1993

Mayan Mindbender-USED 1995

Texas Tornado-USED 1998

Serial Thriller 1999

Six Flags Fiesta Texas is the Six Flags park that is most similar to Six Flags St. Louis is terms of market size and likely attendance (it was in the past, don't know SFFT current attendance). It is the reason that both parks received Scooby-Doo rides the same year (2002), got Tornado the same year (2006), got Tony Hawk's the same year (2007), got Sky Screamer rides the year after each other (2011/2012). The issue with comparing the two parks is that Six Flags St. Louis is 20 years older and is not the "complete park" that Six Flags Fiesta Texas is whenever you compare the two.

When people bring up the excuse that corporate won't spend money on parks that don't bring in the numbers, I'll state the fact again that in the history of Six Flags St. Louis, when something really major was built attendance sky rocketed for that season (but the attendance would usually fall back the next year), which is a problem. Six Flags St. Louis has one the highest percentage of season pass holders in the Six Flags system (not very many people travel to SFSL as a destination) and to continue to spend only a couple million a year (which is what has been spent from 2009-2013) on improving the park doesn't send a really good message and in today's world you cannot hide the fact the Boomerang is a 24 year old outdated ride.