TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

^

While fixing The Boss (cutting down maintenance costs) is a possibility, what point would there be when SDC is already getting the same thing this year?, it would make about as much sense as adding the same roller coasters that WOF already has (which this park has done twice recently).

I really don't think attractions from neighboring parks plays any role in the future strategy of SFSTL (as mentioned Boomerang, Pandenomium). Plus, it is clear that SF is trying to capitalize (squeeze every drop of life) on their current attractions either by relocation or redesigning and improvement . So breathing new life into Park's Signature coaster via Iron Horse has better chance of happening than getting something new.

...Plus, if done right, the Boss would be 10x's better than it is now and we can finally get rid of those 'G' trains.

Even with Outlaw Run nearby, I think that The Boss getting the Iron Horse treatment would be a great idea! I just hope they would re-work the layout. The mid course breaks happen way too soon. I know the city had issues with the original layout - maybe they could approve it this time.

Also, does anyone know if Batman is going to be repainted this year? It seriously is starting to look ghetto.

I think if Boss got The Iron Horse Treatment... It would be a great thing! Albeit that the rides layout is great as is, it unfortunately doesn't ride the way it should/could/used to. The park has two other wooden coasters... one classic out and back woody and a wooden twister coaster. Given that I think its ok for them to turn Boss into a Hybrid.

More on the Boss (Possible Iron Horse treatment) this would be simply amazing. The ride's layout has so much greatness already in it that RMC can work with. Take the first drop for instance. They would likely make it a 80+ degree drop, but remember, this first drop is unique in that it's a double down. Imagine, the train screaming down a steep drop followed by the airtime you would get on the double down portion taken at full speed. All the turn arounds could become, Hammerheads (100+ degree banked turnarounds) a la KI's DiamondBack turnaround or CW's Behemoth turnaround (A potential first for a RMC Iron Horse coaster). The coaster has a mid-course brake run so they could run three trains. (But imagine is they turned that mid-course straight away into a jo-jo roll into the drop that follows) As Charlie sheen would say... WINNING! The series of bunny hills on the way back arcross the rides landscape into the helix area would be full of airtime opportunties. Boss' Helix has always been talked about with regards the laterals that it pulls. I could see them taking the opportunity to give a nod back to one of Boss' signature elements or going a different route and making this a 90 degree banked double helix followed by more airtime hills into the brake run.

Seriously! This would be a great thing for SFStL... plus it would be like a 1,2,3 punch for the park... Mr. Freeze Reverse Blast 2012, Boomerang, 2013, and The Boss (Iron Horse) 2014.

Call me crazy, but I like The Boss as is. Yes, it is rough, and the trains are uncomfortable. But, it has a good layout, lots of speed, and the entire ride you are wondering if it is trying to kill you! I have been saying since I first rode American Thunder that they should find a way to use Millennium Flyer trains on The Boss.

However, I'm not against the Iron Horse, or topper track treatment for The Boss.

I think The Boss' layout is pretty sweet. Yes it's gotten rough over the years but that can all be fixed by Topper Track. I would rather see them do Topper Track and keep the same layout than to do the Iron Horse treatment and change a lot of the layout. Either way a Boss makeover would be pretty damn awesome.

^I have to agree. Boss has one of the best layouts for a wood coaster and since CCI built it what would it take for Gravity Group to fix it to where Timberliners could run on it? Even though Rocky Mountain Coasters have definitley redefined what a wood coaster/hybrid coaster could be I don't think every park should run to them to fix their troublesome wood coasters. I really like the Boss for what it is but the only change is to get better trains for it (and shorten that Great Wall of China queue).

Again, I said Boss' layout is great as it, BUT! a Iron Horse treatment would further enhance that great layout. It has a lot to work with. Whether you agree or not, I'm pretty sure the park would go for Iron Horse over topper track simply because they will get a sure return on their investment because they can market it as a new ride with the Iron Horse treatment like SFOT and SFFT. The Topper Track would basically keep the ride the same, so how would they excite the general population. SFNE did a complete topper track re-do of thunderbolt but you didnt hear them market that in their ads. The public wouldn't be sold on the idea that its "new". However, the Iron Horse treatment as seen with NTAG, and as will be seen with IRAT, will more than likely be a profitable makeover because they can change the stats about the ride (steeper drops, possible taller drop, faster speed, crazy overbanks) and make it marketable. Lastly, as I said before it would be great for a 1, 2, 3 punch (Mr Freeze Reverse Blast, Boomerang, Boss (Iron Horse). Topper Track would not have the same appeal. Yes to us enthusiast it would! However, at the same time, us enthusiast along with the general public would all flock to an Iron Horse Re-do of the Boss.

I think the Boss should get Topper Track and Timberliner trains. I'd be fine with a barrel roll added, but I think its a good wood coaster. It doesn't really NEED steel track to make it better.

No, Boss doesn't need Topper Track or Iron Horse track, and it certainly doesn't need a barrel roll. What it needs is maintenance. If they can repair/replace enough of the track to get it running again like it was in 2000, it'd be perfect. Back then, it was my favourite woodie, and I still think it has one of the best layouts out there. All it's ever needed is just to be kept in good condition--which is something Six Flags has never done.

You guys are thinking in the mid set of coaster enthusiast. Granted, I too would love Boss just to be touched up and given the TLC it needs to be as great as it was in its first season... however, marketing wise, they won't draw in the crowds. We gotta think in terms of Money (Investment) and ROI! Which is why Iron Horse works so well.

I think the boss should be RMC's first true track replacement with Iron Horse. I thought Boss had such a cool and unique layout, which could only be more awesome if it were smooth as glass. I think topper track would be great as well!

I think the boss should be RMC's first true track replacement with Iron Horse. I thought Boss had such a cool and unique layout, which could only be more awesome if it were smooth as glass. I think topper track would be great as well!

So, you don't count NTAG or Iron Rattler as true track replacements using the I-Box.

So, you don't count NTAG or Iron Rattler as true track replacements using the I-Box.

They modified the layouts The Texas Giant and The Rattler, versus solely replacing the track .

Edited by larrygator

The Boss is fine and the park has really put some work in it. The last two years I have ridden The Boss they have been some of the best rides I have had on it ever.

Agreed. My rides on Boss have all been enjoyable. I didn't find it to be rough at all, if anything it was rough enough to make it seem like a wood coaster and not a super-smooth steel one.

Newbee to the board, but I've been going to SFSTL since I was a baby.

I love SFSTL and have Season passes for 2013 for myself and my two kids (5 and 8). Has there been any talk of getting another kid coaster? Right now the "starter" coaster is the Mine train and it's a big step.

Also, I'd love another flat family ride. My daughters favorite ride is the Scrambler. She loves to twirl but will not go on anything with hills.

A few updates on Boomerang, orange supports have arrived at the park and most of the footers have been poured (the back supports for the two spikes are right next to the Eagle's first drop on the same level the Screamin' Eagle is at, the rest of the ride is basically down "a level" on the same ground level the Bumper Cars were). In other words the site for the ride is not completely level like every other Boomerang I've ever seen, so I would guess that the back supports will be modified (shortened maybe? or possibly more added since the spikes should be over the Screamin' Eagle when the ride is done). The ride will not open until June 1st.

I know that the size is off, but this is basically how the ride should look when it's done in the park (you should be able to walk under the cobra roll) on your way up to Rush Street, Superman, etc.).

SFSL.jpg.b1393d1097eb377966ea9d2438ef9a1d.jpg